Pearl Jam studio gear

CopenhagenCopenhagen Posts: 9
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone.

Not so new to the forum as you might think, but have been away for some time and now with a new nick.

Well I was searching through this forum but wasn't able to find anything on this subject.

I was just wondering if anyone of you happen to know what equipment (guitars, amps etc) the guys used to record Pearl Jam. yeah I guess they've been using the Trentino amps and les Pauls and Strats as usual but It could be fun to know excactly which instruments was used on the different tracks.

I remember that there was a great overview of the different things when Riot Act came out in here some where.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tdubtdub Posts: 226
    instead of adding a new topic, i'm going to add on to the original poster's question...

i am curious what mike (in particular) uses pedal wise. either for the recording of 'pearl jam' or live. i'd absolutely love to see a pic of his pedal board set up if anyone has a link to that.

with giventowail.com down, i figured this was the next best resource...
  • tdub wrote:
    instead of adding a new topic, i'm going to add on to the original poster's question...

i am curious what mike (in particular) uses pedal wise. either for the recording of 'pearl jam' or live. i'd absolutely love to see a pic of his pedal board set up if anyone has a link to that.

with giventowail.com down, i figured this was the next best resource...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Come on, noone knows what gear they used to record the avocado?
  • Copenhagen wrote:
    Come on, noone knows what gear they used to record the avocado?
    They all use TS-9 tubescreamers. Mike has, of course, the wah, and he uses a Line 6 MM4 Mod pedal(chorus, phaser, flange), and a moded BOSS blues driver. The Line 6 DL4 Delay is used as well as other delays. Mike and Ed have used the E-bow (WWS, Big Wave). Ed used the Tele AND SG in the studio. Stone probably has his plethora of effects. I dont know the exact ones though. I am just going off the various videos I have seen of them in the studio and random pictures. They use some of the same stuff live as they do in the studio
  • half the album was recorded like a live gig, lots of raw power. this is songs like life wasted, world wide suicide, comatose, marker in the sand. I would imagine they were using just a live-friendly, jammable setup with floor pedals and what not. the more "deeper" recorded songs would have included out-board gear for the effects. Inside job has quite a bit of gear attached to it. I still don't know if they recorded digital or analog, it would help explain this on going question of how it was done. it still blows my mind that stadium arcadium was done on 2 inch tape, john frusciante added anywhere from 20-40 extra takes and overdubs to every track...lets just say before mastering it down it woudl have taken alot of tape!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • it still blows my mind that stadium arcadium was done on 2 inch tape, john frusciante added anywhere from 20-40 extra takes and overdubs to every track...lets just say before mastering it down it woudl have taken alot of tape![/quote]
    HOLY COW!!!!!! Are you kidding me? That's amazing!!!
  • HOLY COW!!!!!! Are you kidding me? That's amazing!!!

i shit you not.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Tool records to tape as well.

I would guess Pearl Jam records to tape.

Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and the Beatles were all tape geniuses. With tape flanging, reversing, and cuttin and pastin on all analog gear. I wish todays bands would use analog as sort of another instrument.
  • When Riot Act was released someone posted a scheme sort of thing showing the gear used for the different tracks... Noone has that for "Pearl Jam"??
  • That was done by one of the studio guys I think. The synergy gear section of Sony's PJ site hasn't been updated since Moses parted the Red Sea...
  • Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    To my knowledge PJ records in analog on 2" tape I believe. I know that PJ was recorded at StudioX in Seattle, but they also do a lot at Studio Litho. check their website and check the gear. Not 100% sure they used 2" tape for PJ, but I know in the past PJ recorded this way and they all love the analog warmth.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • There is a lot of digital distortion on the new album. That ain't coming from tape. Tape is so so forgiving.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the new album is definately digitally recorded.

Stone Uses the Trussart rusty tele on the first song I believe.

I think Ed might be using those 3 5E3 tweed deluxes on the new album. I also know they bought some stuff (ED Framtone 3banger) (stone or mike modded Blues Driver) from keeley.

That studio is like a music store though. Even though I've liked them since my early teens, I still have a soft spot for a bunch of rock stars whose extravagent spending mostly includes instruments.

There are definately some effects and sounds on albums that they do not gig with. Like Mikes first solo on Ghost off RA which sound like some kind of octave down fuzz.

I know they have a few AC30's too and have since at least No Code.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Mike used a Fender Blender on NAIS and has set to seriously tour with it(though there is sa pic somwhere of Ed actually using it on this past tour)-I think he used that on ghost. I think Mike also had the Keeley BD-2 for the new album. If you watch the WWS video, there are shots of them in the studio and there are also various pictures out there from the studio.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    the new album is definately digitally recorded.

Stone Uses the Trussart rusty tele on the first song I believe.

I think Ed might be using those 3 5E3 tweed deluxes on the new album. I also know they bought some stuff (ED Framtone 3banger) (stone or mike modded Blues Driver) from keeley.

That studio is like a music store though. Even though I've liked them since my early teens, I still have a soft spot for a bunch of rock stars whose extravagent spending mostly includes instruments.

There are definately some effects and sounds on albums that they do not gig with. Like Mikes first solo on Ghost off RA which sound like some kind of octave down fuzz.

I know they have a few AC30's too and have since at least No Code.

I'll agree with the fuzz at the first solo in ghost, but I sort of think It's just a wah that is just set to one position. Has that scoop out of tone sound. Just my idea though!

I agree with the equipment. If I had the money, gear galore would be coming home, not hummers, indoor pools and big mansions.

I'm pretty sure I've read a interview with stone this album where he talks about using digital in the studio, could be wrong.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • The inside covers of Lost Dogs show shelves full of tape reels labeled with different songs.

Check out AOL sessions http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash.adp?defaultCovers=549&defaultID=549&page=1&video=PERFORMA

look for 'Pearl Jam', in studio performance shows much of their gear

Life Wasted - Mike uses a Les Paul

WWS - All are using Teles

Marker In the Sand is definetely single coil tone, I believe Stone and Mike play Strats on this

For 'Gone', at least in the AOL sessions video, Ed plays a Pete Townshend Les Paul with piezo.

In addition to the Trentino, Mike also has a Marshall Plexi head and Fender Bassmans, though I believe he only uses the Fenders live (no doubt because the Trentino is much too valuable to tour with)

Ed has a 100W Hiwatt half stack, which he uses only in the studio. Live, he has a line of three small Fender tweed combos.

In the studio and live, Stone uses a Reissue Marshall 1984x Bluesbreaker combo. In the studio he uses a Fender Hot Rod deville.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I’ve seen their gear evolve over the years.
    In the beginning, there was Marshall all around. Then the Amp God said, “Let there be Peavey, Fender, and some crazy, custom shit too.”
    My first Pearl Jam show was 1992 and Stone was using Peavey Classic 50s. In addition to TS9s used by all, Stone also used an Ibanez Sonic Distortion; Boss CE – 2 as well. 
    A while back I picked up a Sonic Distortion and it sounded horrible. So I bought a new Sonic Distortion and an early ‘80s model. The early ‘80s Sonic Distortion had me right at that springy, almost fuzzy distortion so prevelant on all Stone’s tracks. I also bought an Earnie Ball Volume / Pan pedal which allows you to either swell the volume on one amp or pan between two amps: toe position can be all dirty Marshall, heel can have you at Fender clean and best of all, IMHO, middle position blends both amps. It’s pretty amazing. 

Ed’s Gibson Les Paul (Pete Townshend model) into that Hiwatt for the AOL session is just outta this world tone!
    My, my...

Ive read about Jeff splitting his strings between differing signal paths. I need to go back to that interview and read it all again and post it here. It’s a rare interview with the band...in fact, it’s the only rig rundown for the whole band I’ve ever seen. 
    It’s no wonder they captured me back in 1992. I mean, I really dug ‘em before that concert, but after hearing their live sound – it was love and it’s only grown since then. 
    I’m gonna post that early interview here in its entirety. It’ll answer so many questions. 
    ‘Till then, ‘till then...
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^ Please do!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I moded an old BOSS SD-1 and nailed the Stone sound. Eventually got the Marshall GV-2 and it gave me the classic TEN sounds
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    One day I am hoping for a rig rundown on premier guitars youtube page, that would be awesome
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    BALLBOY said:
    One day I am hoping for a rig rundown on premier guitars youtube page, that would be awesome
    LOVE those!!