Jerry Cantrell

2»

Comments

• Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I just learned River of Deceit! Great Song. I know this has nothing to do with Jerry but this song was mentioned in a previous thread.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    how awesome would it be if Pearl Jam ripped out a cover of it. don't think its ever been done but would be awesome all the same

I rekon eddie could do it good

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    I disagree about the unplugged show being
    'one of the best shows in history' (that's kind of naive)

The quote was...one of the three or four best in the show's history.

And, in that regard, I think the original poster was certainly correct. Or, at the very least, it's certainly one of my three or four favorite MTV Unplugged performances--ahead of Pearl Jam's for sure.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    The quote was...one of the three or four best in the show's history.

And, in that regard, I think the original poster was certainly correct. Or, at the very least, it's certainly one of my three or four favorite MTV Unplugged performances--ahead of Pearl Jam's for sure.
    Semantics . . . it was paraphrased.
    "well.. imho alice in chains unplugged is one of the three or four best in the show's history"
    ...... .... ..... .. ...... ......... .. "one of the ..... .. .... best shows in history"
    No difference - and I (just like you) have the right to disagree - Chill Out.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Semantics . . . it was paraphrased.
    "well.. imho alice in chains unplugged is one of the three or four best in the show's history"
    ...... .... ..... .. ...... ......... .. "one of the ..... .. .... best shows in history"
    No difference - and I (just like you) have the right to disagree - Chill Out.

- Ian

Was pretty sure the difference was that "one of the best in the show's history" indicated that it was the best performance on that program...whereas the claim "one of the best shows in history" would encompass every live musical performance ever.

Seemed the original poster was implying the former while you were implying the latter--which would be two very different things.

As well, didn't mean for that to sound hostile, just clearing up what seems to be a misunderstanding. No offense meant.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Yes, "shows" referring to MTV Unplugged . . . as I said, it's semantics.
    Personally, I think the Eric Clapton unplugged was probably the best (and I don't even like Clapton).
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    id be hard pressed to choose between nirvana and alice in chains as the best unplugged performance

pearl jam could have been up there but their setlist wasn't up to scratch. should have ditched songs like evenflow and jeremy and put on songs like footsteps, wash, release. black porch and oceans were absolutely spectacular though

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pappas wrote:
    how awesome would it be if Pearl Jam ripped out a cover of it. don't think its ever been done but would be awesome all the same

I would seriously break down and cry. No joke.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I would love to see Pearl Jam do a cover of River of Deceit!
    I would seriously break down and cry. No joke.
    same here. it would be like crown of thorns with stone, jeff and andy wood except it would be mike and layne

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Boggy Depot is awesome. Jerry is a talented dude. Thumbs up
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pappas wrote:

That would be out of this world.
    perhaps its time for us ten club memebrs to start making some signs so they can see them at shows haha

' RIVER OF DECEIT'

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    Pappas wrote:
    perhaps its time for us ten club memebrs to start making some signs so they can see them at shows haha

' RIVER OF DECEIT'
    Agree!
  • Alice in Chains is pretty much my favorite band, so you can bet I love Jerry's guitar. He's also got a really good voice, but Layne's was unique and awesome. I still can't wrap my mind around how original Jerry's guitar work is. And if any of you are looking for a good laugh, look at the "For the Ladies" thread on the Alice in Chains forum. They'll show you a side of Jerry you probably never thought of if you're straight and male.
  • great album. . .love that song on the cable guy soundtrack as well. . .his second album was a little disappointing to me

See, for me it's the other way around. I was more disappointed with Boggy Depot and more blown away with Degredation Trip Vols. 1&2.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Attaway77 said:
    Good song. Ruined for me by over-production. 

I really like Jerry's music, he's a great guitarist, songwriter and vocal talent. Just wish he would strip things down in the studio a little more.

This has been a trend since BGWTB and is getting progressively worse. DPDH was brick-walled all to hell too.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I love Boggy Dept.  The issued degradation trip (just the single album version) on vinyl a few months back, and I put it on.  It's decent but all it made me do was go back and put on Boggy Depot.   I love that album.   Hopefully it gets a vinyl reissue.

I was lucky enough to see three solo shows.  Once in '98 opening for Metallica, then once around 2001.  We had tickets for AC/DC and then cantrell had a bar show the same time.  We committed the ultimate sin and bailed for AC/DC's encore.  We missed the first few songs of Cantrell's set but walked in while they were playing Man in the Box.    William Duvall was already doing vocals for his solo shows at that point (and I think Robert Trujillo from Metallica was on Bass).   Then we saw one more show at the Commodore a few years after that.

They were all pretty good shows.  I think it's why I don't mind Duvall on vocals.  For me they kind of seguewayed him in there because he was doing vocals for the solo stuff first.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Duvall is a great fit with Jerry and AIC. I like that he has his own style and isn't trying to sound like Layne. He does the AIC catalog justice while still having a unique voice.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,604
    He put up a few posters on his website the other day.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I learned to play guitar on AIC, so much love for JC, but that's just like my opinion, man