Who wants to make a Pearl Jam covers EP?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
First, Hello... it has been a while. I hope all is well with old friends and those I don't know yet here...

Second:
JofZ and I have an idea. An album made by fans covering PJ songs that they love. This could be a very cool project and way to connect with fellow PJ fans around the world and share in our love of this music. Songs could be recorded in a studio (if applicable) or on our cpus and shared to add the different parts and sections... then mastered and put into an album.

We need drummers, bass players, guitarists, keyboards, singers, graphic artists, etc... (It's not like there can only be one singer, or one drummer, etc...we can all collborate and work to put together a cool project)

I am in to sing, play guitar (where needed), harmonica (if we do Smile or Driftin, lol), or piano/organ parts if wanted.

JofZ is in to play guitar, work on recording/mastering, and provide insane guitar tone to the records

We are both willing to help organize this idea, but need the rest of you to participate.

Who's interested? How would you want to participate? Song ideas?
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    First, Hello... it has been a while. I hope all is well with old friends and those I don't know yet here...

Second:
    JofZ and I have an idea. An album made by fans covering PJ songs that they love. This could be a very cool project and way to connect with fellow PJ fans around the world and share in our love of this music. Songs could be recorded in a studio (if applicable) or on our cpus and shared to add the different parts and sections... then mastered and put into an album.

We need drummers, bass players, guitarists, keyboards, singers, graphic artists, etc... (It's not like there can only be one singer, or one drummer, etc...we can all collborate and work to put together a cool project)

I am in to sing, play guitar (where needed), harmonica (if we do Smile or Driftin, lol), or piano/organ parts if wanted.

JofZ is in to play guitar, work on recording/mastering, and provide insane guitar tone to the records

We are both willing to help organize this idea, but need the rest of you to participate.

Who's interested? How would you want to participate? Song ideas?

This is going to be a blast, come on guys lets get this project off square one.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I don't know when I'll have time to squeeze it in.....but I'll definitely see what I can do. Oh, on Vox and Guitar. Maybe i'll try and record something just with me and acoustic guitar
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    And then there were three...
    There's No Code.
  • Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    House53 wrote:
    And then there were three...

I've already pretty much got my take on Not For you recorded on analog 4-track tape and it just needs my vocals. I don't know how this would work, but I love the idea. Cool project.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • I really like this idea guys.

However, my home recording setup is not anywhere suitable for this quality of an idea. I am regularly in studio these days, but that time is dedicated to (and paid for by) the band that I'm playing for. I have strong doubts I could use the studio for my own personal project unless it came out of my own pocket, which is near impossible at the moment.

I may be investing in some recording equipment of my own come the New Year, but that all depends on the payout from my current gig. I say - money in from music, goes to music -, but we'll have to see.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm down, not sure what and how much I'll be able to contribute, but I'll try my best! I can play some guitar, maybe some backing vocals. Would never attempt lead, either guitar or vocals.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'd throw in my already recorded instrumental cover of In My Tree.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i could do guitar, bass, keys etc.

assuming versions of songs that sort of straighted far from the originals. i don't rock i guess. some of you know what i sound like i suppose.

i have protools le.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I can play the piano if you need it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • guitarist available here!
    [ 14 ]
    san diego '06 | los angeles '06 | los angeles '06 | san francisco '06 | seattle '09 | salt lake city '09 | los angeles '09 | los angeles '09 | philadelphia '09 | arras '10 | lisbon '10 | berlin '12 | oslo '12 | copenhagen '12
  • Count me in

guitar/vox/bass
  • i would love to be a part of this, but i'm not sure my comp is up to the standard of everyone else's, especially if there will be some pro studio work.

i can do some rythym git, maybe a little bass ( i've got a fretless?!?!)

...and i'm pretty sure i can sing better then Jeff. So i could do backing vox.

How bout Tremor Christ, dammit!!!

actually i think a reworking of Indifference would be extremely cool.
    There is so much room in that song, alot of individual voices could have their say.

Even if i don't work on this, please keep me updated, i'd love to hear the finished songlist and product. i was thinking the other day about trying to put together a one-off PJ covers set, just to get playing again.

g'luck
    Looks like this might actually work :)

We need a theme and set list!

House and I were thinking Global Warming as the cause with the name:
    Mookie and the Big Wave Riders
    or just Big Wave.

To the best of my knowledge this is the 1st Internet project of its kind and this could be very interesting.

Lets work on the setlist!

Suggestions?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Rearviewmirror... just because its my favorite!
    JofZ wrote:
    Looks like this might actually work :)

We need a theme and set list!

House and I were thinking Global Warming as the cause with the name:
    Mookie and the Big Wave Riders
    or just Big Wave.

To the best of my knowledge this is the 1st Internet project of its kind and this could be very interesting.

Lets work on the setlist!

Suggestions?

I really like the previous suggestion of Indifference...

I think it would be nice to have a bit of a theme/common thread to the songs chosen. We don't have to be tied to that though.

Seems like a good response so far... thanks for the support. I will be keeping a list of those interested and how they wish to contribute, we can figure out a lineup and consider logistics of it all.

We have some exciting possibilities starting to shape up!!
    There's No Code.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I'm in for piano/keyboard
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    Guitarist here if needed. Lead or rhythm.
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • I can play guitar, bass, sing, piano and I have a lot of the effects the guys use too. I'm diggin' this idea
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • swans05swans05 Posts: 108
    sounds excellent...maybe we can try and do one in australia also (where i am)...i'm a big shower singer and lately have been recording instrumentals on guitar (very simplified versions) and singing to it in the shower...the neighbours must love me...wouldn't mind maybe starting a cover band up either where i'd have to sing if anything which i'm not too bad at i suppose but know next to nothing about music (making, reading etc)...taught myself guitar which is why i'm not real good but servicable maybe
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Wishlist, cos it's dead simple, plus you can make up endless verses, like Hey Joe !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mnarob3mnarob3 Posts: 235
    that would be amazing!!!!

so you've got the drummer here!!!!!!!!
    there's nothing like playing pearl jam songs! the groove, the feeling:D

great! count me in!!!
    *~~bologna 14.9.2006~~*~~vienna 25.9.2006~~*~~zagreb 26.9.2006~~
    *~~munich 12.6.2007~~*~~chorzow 13.6.2007~~*
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Singer here if needed, i've got lotsa experience, nd ive been lead singer of a small band.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Just to throw a set out there...

Release
    Animal
    Evenflow
    WWS
    DTE
    LBC
    Not For You
    Low Light/Nothingman
    Sad
    In Hiding
    NAIS
    Why Go
    Porch
    Smile
    Fuckin' Up
    Alive

Of course, completely prelim., I think a fairly good mix of known and rarer stuff...but I'm up for anything and everthing!!

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
    We got a drummer :)

Next step is a final set list and then we should talk about how we want to tackle this. I would love to test out one simple track before we try and nail all of them.

We need a band name as well!

Maybe we should vote on it LOL ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    We got a drummer :)

Next step is a final set list and then we should talk about how we want to tackle this. I would love to test out one simple track before we try and nail all of them.

We need a band name as well!

Maybe we should vote on it LOL ;)

Black Red Yellow has to be in there...

I still like Mookie and the Big Wave Riders. :D
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what's the concept here?

consistency of sound across all the songs? ie, the same "band" plays on all tracks?

or, perhaps, different individuals interpretations of different songs with lots of different people contributing bits and pieces to different songs.... resulting in very different feel across the songs?

you could have, say, individuals have a crack at different songs with just one guitar and a click track, enabling drums and everything else to be layered over top.

and that's a terrible name. ;)
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    you should do black
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I would be willing to add some guitar work, but i'm not sure i have the right tools to actually record my music out to someone but my friend might. I think an extended version of Present Tense would be cool, or maybe just an instrumental version. Either way i've been playing guitar for about 6 years and know my way around pj songs pretty well.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
    Black Red Yellow gets my vote :)

We need a band name, can we get some ideas?

Act of Love
    Big Wave
    ?????????
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm down, hopefully we can all manage to tune correctly. I'll have to learn or relearn whatever it is we decide.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.