Options

Qestion about eddies range

leethalleethal Posts: 134
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Im a guitar player not a singer and i don't know a great deal of theory...

I've heard that most people have a vocal range of 2 and a half octaves. What is eddies range? I've heard eddie hit a low D (Dead Man) and a high A (In hiding) what is his range then?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he's deffinantly hit higher...i'm not a singer either so I don't know what his range is
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Ed's a baritone with about 2.5 octaves of good voice. when I say good, I mean sounds that his voice will make without him having to push above his range. He has more notes, but they are not a natural part of his voice.
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    enharmonic wrote:
    Ed's a baritone with about 2.5 octaves of good voice. when I say good, I mean sounds that his voice will make without him having to push above his range. He has more notes, but they are not a natural part of his voice.

So if I can hit every note that Eddie hits on all the songs and hit most of Chris Cornell's notes, would you say that that is pretty good? If I practive for at least a week I can sing along with Chris on Hands All Over, which is really tough for me to hit.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    I aggree with what your saying about eddie having about 2.5 octaves of good voice. That makes sense.

Is it true then what i heard about the average person being capable of 2.5. Because to me it seems like eddie has a huge range (not compared to some obviously but compared to a non singer definitely) I just don't see how the average person with a baritone could sing in hiding. I suppose its not all about your range its more about your tone and your control etc
  • Options
    he's deffinantly hit higher...i'm not a singer either so I don't know what his range is

Do you know where? I agree with you but in hiding was the highest i could think of. But Dead Man im pretty sure is as low as he's been
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    So if I can hit every note that Eddie hits on all the songs and hit most of Chris Cornell's notes, would you say that that is pretty good? If I practive for at least a week I can sing along with Chris on Hands All Over, which is really tough for me to hit.

Slaves and Bulldozers is a cakewalk for me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Slaves and Bulldozers is a cakewalk for me.

Awesome song! I loved that band. I tell you, I am not a great singer, but I have a lot of potential.. I swear if I just quite smoking and practiced more...id be so much better.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • Options
    Awesome song! I loved that band. I tell you, I am not a great singer, but I have a lot of potential.. I swear if I just quite smoking and practiced more...id be so much better.

Definitely. But I feel like gouging my ears out when I even *think* of me trying to hit some of those notes. :D I'm not a good singer at all. It's not like I'm trying to get better though, so I shouldn't complain.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Definitely. But I feel like gouging my ears out when I even *think* of me trying to hit some of those notes. :D I'm not a good singer at all. It's not like I'm trying to get better though, so I shouldn't complain.

The PJ song I struggle with most is Do The Evolution. I don't know why either, because it's not the highest or lowest tone song, I think it's just the key it's in. Some of the notes are hard for me to hit, but if I practice it alot or listen to it enough, it gets easier.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • Options
    The PJ song I struggle with most is Do The Evolution. I don't know why either, because it's not the highest or lowest tone song, I think it's just the key it's in. Some of the notes are hard for me to hit, but if I practice it alot or listen to it enough, it gets easier.

Just scream it at the top of your lungs. That should work, right?

But really, I'd say that song is more effective because of the passion delivered through the singing as opposed to the notes themselves.
  • Options
    i have a nice mid range and high range. i cant sing real low like eddie or anything. I can almost hit everything cornell does. I feel i have an average voice right in the middle, which i like.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    i have a nice mid range and high range. i cant sing real low like eddie or anything. I can almost hit everything cornell does. I feel i have an average voice right in the middle, which i like.

I know it's cliche, but tea with honey really helps me, especially cutting down on the smoking on days I know I will be singing.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • Options
    I know it's cliche, but tea with honey really helps me, especially cutting down on the smoking on days I know I will be singing.

im not much of a low singer anyways...every song i write i make sure i can sing well just so i don't have to really adapt myself. I keep it to fairly simple melodies as well because were a 3 peice and i have quite teh guitar duties to keep up with.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    im not much of a low singer anyways...every song i write i make sure i can sing well just so i don't have to really adapt myself. I keep it to fairly simple melodies as well because were a 3 peice and i have quite teh guitar duties to keep up with.

That's cool. I am still trying to find a band. I've been a one man band working on a record for over 3 years, and I have so much material, but nothing really finished.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • Options

I couldn't say it's good or bad because I don't know if you're going about it the right way. I can do it too, but not the right way, so that doesn't make it good because ultimately it leads to the kind of voices they both have today vs. what they had.
  • Options
    leethal wrote:
    I aggree with what your saying about eddie having about 2.5 octaves of good voice. That makes sense.

Is it true then what i heard about the average person being capable of 2.5. Because to me it seems like eddie has a huge range (not compared to some obviously but compared to a non singer definitely) I just don't see how the average person with a baritone could sing in hiding. I suppose its not all about your range its more about your tone and your control etc

I'd say that the "average" (whatever that is...but I follow you) person is not a singer. Good is relative. Lets say this. A competent singer has at least a 2 octave range. That's only 16 notes, but most of western music doesn't use much more than 2 octaves from a compositional standpoint, so 2 octaves is a good standard.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    enharmonic wrote:
    I'd say that the "average" (whatever that is...but I follow you) person is not a singer. Good is relative. Lets say this. A competent singer has at least a 2 octave range. That's only 16 notes, but most of western music doesn't use much more than 2 octaves from a compositional standpoint, so 2 octaves is a good standard.

We can't all be Jeff Buckley and have a 4 octave range!
  • Options
    moster78 wrote:
    We can't all be Jeff Buckley and have a 4 octave range!

Jeff's range was not a pure 4 octaves. He had extraordinary control over his falsetto.
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    Jeff's range was not a pure 4 octaves. He had extraordinary control over his falsetto.

I used to date a singer, so some of the terminology is familiar, but brings back bad memories. I just remember reading somewhere that he was anywhere between 3.5 to 4.
  • Options
    moster78 wrote:
    I used to date a singer, so some of the terminology is familiar, but brings back bad memories. I just remember reading somewhere that he was anywhere between 3.5 to 4.

At most, I heard him use 2.5. Perhaps he had a wider range than he recorded or performed with.
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    At most, I heard him use 2.5. Perhaps he had a wider range than he recorded or performed with.

Maybe I misread or remembered it. Maybe it was Tim Buckley who had the greater range.
  • Options
    Captain Beefheart!
    Ok, most people never heard of him. I played guitar on a couple of tours for him in the 70's and he had about a 4 octave range.
    You'd never think so, because his voice is so gravelly and deep, but he could do it warming up backstage with no microphone and no falsetto. It wasn't "pretty like a bird chirping" 4 octaves, but it was there! :D

Singing into a mike in rock is an advantage because you don't have to belt out as loud and hard as an opera singer, so you can control your voice better.

I'm a baritone, I guess, and I think I have a range of only about a half an octave unless I jump in a snowbank naked! THEN I can get a higher range but then there won't be any baritone till I'm warm again! :D

You know who has great range, too? Joni Mitchell, and Bjork. Both can really belt out low and high notes.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

• Options
    Jeff Buckley is a perfect example of why i wanted talk about this. He has an incredible range but like someone already said he uses a falsetto; an incredible one at that. I'm not sure what the highest note he can hit is without falsetto.

I still find it amazing though how high eddie can go without false. Also i notice that during certain songs (like of the girl) he sounds higher then what you would expect for such notes. (I'm not sure how to explain that one but hopefully you know what i mean)

It sounds like some of you guys might be able to sing. Good Stuff! I know I can hit a high G, anything higher and i need a falsetto which just sounds bad. I can't sing any pearl jam songs well i just don't the right voice (let alone the range). Most black keys songs i like singing though, and other more bluesy stuff.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jeff buckley has a nice head voice, and then his falsetto. but i don't think you should count it as a complete range because he's missing alot in between there. None the less, great musician

If you think Jeff Buckley has a nice voice then listen to his dads stuff.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    moster78 wrote:
    Maybe I misread or remembered it. Maybe it was Tim Buckley who had the greater range.

Missed this post.

Answer: Yep!
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    I couldn't say it's good or bad because I don't know if you're going about it the right way. I can do it too, but not the right way, so that doesn't make it good because ultimately it leads to the kind of voices they both have today vs. what they had.

Yeah good point. I try really hard to sing from my gut and not my throat. I know when I am singing right when I can sing for hours without loosing my voice, but sometimes if I sing a song like Blood and don't do it correctly, my voice will be gone shortly after.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    vocal exercises will really help you expand your range. They help you learn proper technique, breath control, and dynamics. They also give your voice a workout and over time strengthen your voice and expand your range.

Singing in a band really helps you get all you can out of your voice... singing different songs and different styles your voice develops. It also helps you learn proper pitch and tonality.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125

DTE is pretty tough to sing. I've sung in choirs nd stuff, I'm a baritone too. Eddie hits that low D in Dead Man, I can go to about a low E, and hit that A on In Hiding. Eddie has a surprisingly good range, considering smoking, drinking, etc. Evolution is definately hard on the chorus when he hits it really high. Long story short: Eddie's got rediculous range.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    DTE is pretty tough to sing. I've sung in choirs nd stuff, I'm a baritone too. Eddie hits that low D in Dead Man, I can go to about a low E, and hit that A on In Hiding. Eddie has a surprisingly good range, considering smoking, drinking, etc. Evolution is definately hard on the chorus when he hits it really high. Long story short: Eddie's got rediculous range.

Yes I must agree, I would have to say the best range in rock that I can think of is Chris Cornell.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13