Options

Playing a guitar at an outdoor gig

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok Im gonna be playing an outdoor gig this June and July, I have heard alot of players say that playing guitar outdoors if its really hot or cloudy and almost rainy is bad for the guitar and throws the set up out of whack really bad, is this true. I wanna play my les paul at the gig and just would like some info on if its a good idea or what? don't wanna wreck such a nice guitar.
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i sit in my backyard and play acoustic and it hasnt seemed to go out of whack.

are you going to be using monitors?

i ask becase the first time i played out was an outdoor show,and it wasnt a very fun experiance.

there were no monitors,and i couldnt hear anything on my side of the stage except myself and the drummer.never having played a show before,i kept thinking i was too loud and kept turning my bass down....only to find out later the guitar player on the other side of the stage.....and other bands that took the stage....could only hear what was happening on their side.

hopefully you will have a better experiance.

peace
  • Options
    the unseen wrote:
    i sit in my backyard and play acoustic and it hasnt seemed to go out of whack.

are you going to be using monitors?

i ask becase the first time i played out was an outdoor show,and it wasnt a very fun experiance.

there were no monitors,and i couldnt hear anything on my side of the stage except myself and the drummer.never having played a show before,i kept thinking i was too loud and kept turning my bass down....only to find out later the guitar player on the other side of the stage.....and other bands that took the stage....could only hear what was happening on their side.

hopefully you will have a better experiance.

peace

This is my first outdoor gig, but I have played tons indoor, yeah we are using monitors defineatly, we have done gigs indoor with no monitors and man did we suck, it was a low budget gig and the people that put it on had this shitty little P.A with only enough inputs for mics thats it, so we had a hard time hearing the right sounds, and we screwed up alot and went out of timming, we swore to never play gigs again without proper monitoring.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Playing outdoors can have an effect on the guitar...

The best option is to have your guitar sit out with its case open for an hour or so... then tune... then let it sit some more... tune up for the show...

The guitar just needs to adjust to the temp/humidity. If you just take it straight from the case and start playing, the tuning will shift as the guitar is adjusting. If you give it time to adjust, the problem is avoided.

Make sense?
    There's No Code.