Options

Help with one of Stone's Guitars.

dudnadudna Posts: 14
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been looking for someone who can give me info about one of Stone's early guitars. It was Sunburst Les Paul with a 3 and a rat sticker on the pickguard. It looked like a custom by the fancy headstock. He played it on SNL in 92 for Alive and Porch. He also played it at the Pinkpop festival of the same year.

I just wanted to know the model, year, type, where he got it, etc. I know it is obscure but it is by far my favorite of his guitars. I would appreciate any information on it you know. Thank you.

This is all I have heard about it:

G2. Doesn't Stone actually have TWO "3" guitars, the one referred to in the answer to question G7 in Rumor Pit #31, the Goldtop Les Paul with the 3 on the headstock, and then the one I think fans have seen more often in pictures, the Sunburst Les Paul with the 3 on the pickguard along with a Rat Sound sticker? Does he still use this one much?
A: Someone out there is doing their homework.... at least partially! Yes, you are correct that Stone did indeed have two Gibson Les Paul guitars with the number "3" on the headstock, one of which is the aforementioned Goldtop. The second - a reissued Sunburst - is referred to in the past tense for good reason. It was during a tour, I believe in 1993 or 1994, that Stone got inspired by the antics of Mike McCready and smashed that Sunburst Les Paul into pieces. Now the only guitar remaining with the "3" headstock is the Goldtop.

Thanks again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rickprickp Posts: 219
    the Goldtop Stone uses is a 1969 Gibson Les Paul.. I think it's Deluxe. This and more about the guitars are at my site (giventowail) :)
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    stone had that guitar from day one of pearl jam. there are pictures from rockcandy in 1991 with him playing it (and a picture of ed playing in front of the townshend mural) in the place/date photo book. some promo shots too (mike has the temple of the dog tele in those so pretty much right when ed showed up).

i'm not sure when they were signed relative to the rockcandy shows. perhaps he bought it with an advance from either pj's or mlb's signing.
  • Options
    That is not going to do it, but thank you anyway. I need info on the Sunburst Les Paul mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    thanks exhausted. The last post was for the gtw guy.
  • Options
    there were so many re-issues etc. etc. i really have no idea of the exact year or model. i wouldn't even know mine was a 1996 if i hadn't ordered it that year.
  • Options
    True. I only know my fav strat is only a 02' because I got it when I graduated. I just wanted to know about Stone's guitar because I don't know anything about the pickups, year, style, etc; I love that guitar. I want one just like that one.
  • Options
    looks like it had aftermarket coverless humbucker pickups in it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. I like them very much.
  • Options
    he *did* have it in mother love bone. there's a shot in the booklet of the re-release of apple/shine.

maybe i'm telling you stuff you already know.

but it puts the re-issue year somewhere in the late 80's likely.
  • Options
    Thanks exhausted. That helps. I think that it is a 57' - 59' reissue. It would be an 80's, I didn't think about that, thanks.
  • Options
    I still need more info on the guitar, so if anyone could help me that would be awesome.