Options

first pictures of jazzbastard guitar project

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
the body arrived today. the camera doesn't do the finish justice. it's a perfect, mile deep red.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-body-top.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-body-back.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-control%20cavity.JPG

first step will be to shield the cavity with shielding paint.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    Nice looking piece. Lefty, eh? Warmouth makes some great stuff.

What are you putting into it?
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    3 'hot' P90s.

bridge and neck will be wired like a les paul with concentric tone and volume pots and a 3-way switch.

middle pickup with have it's own volume and tone and will be on an on/off toggle. the idea is to be able to switch it on at any time to be in parallel with the bridge/neck combination.

also putting in a toggle to mute the entire guitar.
  • Options
    bridge is installed.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-bridge%20install.JPG
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-bridge%20top.JPG

not difficult at all b/c all holes were already drilled by warmoth. the wilkinson is a beautiful bridge.

also test fit the controls.
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-cavity%20test%20fit.JPG
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-control%20test%20fit.JPG

i had to rout a 3/4 diameter depression for the toggle switch as the top was too thick.
    the second rout by the jack plate is for a second toggle that i haven't 100% decided to install yet.

here's the cavity after one coat of shielding paint. i'm planning 3.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/day1-cavity%20shielding.JPG
    the underside of the cover is also getting painted. once all coats on the back are done, i'll do the pickup cavities.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    looks like you're a kid in a candy store can't keep your hands off. It's beautiful. the first pics don't do it justice but you can really see the deep red with the work light on it.

I can already tell this is an awesome guitar. I bet it smokes.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah, it should be pretty cool as long as i don't screw anything up.

hey check out the routing in my strat:

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/strat/5.body%20empty.JPG

kinda of annoying but nice to know i don't have to struggle to put a couple humbuckers in if i was so inclined. i'd rather have the wood though. better than my last strat which just had the big box carved in it.

what's that extra circle near the front horn for i wonder.
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    wow, this pretty cool. I can't imagine ever doing something like that, I'm afraid to stain my unfinished furniture.

that's a nice rug, btw.
  • Options
    yeah the hum single hum routing started to give you more wood and more sustain, they have to leave the hum slots open for flexibility and cost effectiveness, if you get a master built they will leave the wood and do single routes but then that is like 5 grand.

I don' t know what that hole is for but it seems like maybe an extra switch or volume or blend pot maybe but I don't know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah, gotta love the cost control.

in other news, i found a local dealer authorized to carry fulltone so i'm trying to determine if i can get stompswitches locally.

fulltone it self won't sell outside of the US.
  • Options
    What kind of neck are you going to use? a jaguar lookin' 70's strat big headstock neck?
    or a particular 1 of your own? Anyway great guitar, great costumer, do you work at fender or something?
    please send much photos and let us know how the work ended.
    with the eyes wide opened
    el subcomandante troncos
    walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
    CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
    i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH
  • Options
    i ordered the neck from warmoth as well. it will be a maple neck (no skunk stripe) with an ebony fretboard and cream face dots. the headstock is the CBS era shovel. the neck will be finished in clear satin.

no neck for another 9 weeks or so though.

and no i don't work at fender though i'd like to. i just like destroying my guitars. :D
  • Options
    yeah man cost effectiveness can be a bitch and so can Michael Fuller.

Most music shop folks that don't sell fulltone say he's an asshole, even those that do say he's an asshole, but he does build good stuff.

You might try Carling the 2pdt, I think you can still ground those.

For a look check out http://www.pharaohamps.com and look at the internals of Matt's pedals I think those are carlings. The carlings are used in Wah's for true bypass because the longer fulltones will break wah internals they are cheaper too.
  • Options
    and no i don't work at fender though i'd like to. i just like destroying my guitars. :D [/B][/quote]
    hey you don't destroy anything you create, and anyway Backunin said that "destuction is a form of creativity" so go on and make your next bold move!
    walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
    CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
    i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Looks goods and will be envied by many. So now I know. Truce.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    hey Ex, are the hot p-90's in from Seymour Duncan yet?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    hey Ex, are the hot p-90's in from Seymour Duncan yet?

nope. probably not for another 6-7 weeks.

pure, ditto. truce.

in other news, just finished hardwiring the muff for 9V. didn't bother going to buy a socket. just cut the battery clip off and wired a power cable right to it through a hole i drilled in the front.

i pulled the whole thing out of it's case to see if it would fit in a smaller enclosure and there's no way it's going to fit in anything smaller than what it's in now so i'm skipping that project.

now i just have to do the true bypass.
  • Options
    *in other news, just finished hardwiring the muff for 9V.*

This can be a good or bad thing. If girls figure out how do do this do they really need us around anymore? :)

what great names for stomp boxes, Big Muff Pie and the

Super Hard On

Sorry your muff won't fit in a smaller box they build them quite large. The true bypass shouldn't be to much of a problem for you and it will probably help the way the muff plays with other pedals at least now you won't have to change batteries.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    That was so not nice paco.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    *in other news, just finished hardwiring the muff for 9V.*

This can be a good or bad thing. If girls figure out how do do this do they really need us around anymore? :)

what great names for stomp boxes, Big Muff Pie and the

Super Hard On

Sorry your muff won't fit in a smaller box they build them quite large. The true bypass shouldn't be to much of a problem for you and it will probably help the way the muff plays with other pedals at least now you won't have to change batteries.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    I didn't mean to be mean Pure. Just playing with words.

The Big Muff is built really big the circuit boards and such so they require a custom box and won't fit in the normal hammond size enclosure he wanted.

It's the black box one right Ex. I like that box anyway. How have the switch jacks held up? the ones we sold at GC often came to us broken. I do like that pedal though.
  • Options
    yeah, it's the black russian one. the jacks are ok so far. i'm pretty easy on it since i just lives on the pedal board anyway.

speaking of the hard one. i'm sure you've seen zvex's nano amp? how cool is that little toy.
  • Options
    Oh man, those are so cool. I need one for the Apartment. Can you imagine the stares, gigging with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab with this tiny little blue box on top that is just ripping your face off.

1 watt goes a long way, that thing is so cool.
  • Options
    Mr. Pickles you are brilliant, that is exactly what it is. I was thinking it had to be something for sorting or routing.
  • Options
    finishing done by warmoth. i have neither the tools or expertise.

in other news. just finished putting the treble bleed and a *proper grounded* kill switch in the telecaster. had an ungrounded switch in before b/c i'm stupid.

anyway, turn the sparkle, fabtone and muff on and just fiddle with the kill switch and it's feedback fun. the switch does some strange things when it's almost made on and hasn't broken off totally. way fun.

the treble bleed works really well.
  • Options
    sounds like it's coming along. It's so fun to build something and then play with it.
  • Options
    weirdness.

i *worked* with the guy that carries fulltone here. he got laid off in june. i'm trying to place him though b/c i can't remember exactly who he is. name doesn't ring a bell.

and i just went to the electronics shop to buy the parts for the utility pedals. Those enclosures are expensive.

i'm going to try them with DPDT and if I'm not happy, I'll order some 3PDT from this guy next month. he wants $22 US which is 50% more than direct from fulltone so we'll see.
  • Options
    screw that. 22 bucks is outrageous.

go with the 2pdts and find another way of grounding everything. Matt Farrow uses the 2pdt's and he claims true bypass so maybe there is a way.
  • Options
    i found a schematic on geofex for DPDT true bypass so i'm going to try that first.
  • Options
    sounds good. I' bet you'll like it.