Options

muscians-curious

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
how loudly do you play? do you live with other people? does it piss them off?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used to play extremely loud when i lived in an actual house and when my parents are out.

i've been living in apartments and condos now for years though so i haven't turned anything up in ages.

i do play my acoustic and sing full throttle without bothering anyone but i can't turn my amp up.
  • Options
    I pretty much crank the amp right up. My dad plays guitar and he usually has it even louder than I do so there's no one really to complain. My mum sometimes gets pissed off when she can't hear the TV in other rooms, but generally I can play as loud as I want.
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    I've been playing my accoustic in my apartment and I get nervous that the neighbors can hear me, not so much because it's too loud, but because it's pretty embarrassing :).

whenever my brother's home he plays guitar *and* drums so you can hear it as you turn onto the street with the car windows up and the radio on (no exaggeration). my parents don't seem to care. drives me nuts, though, if you want to talk to someone you have to scream. and it's like anytime that he's in the house, he's playing.

Originally posted by shoedriver
    how loudly do you play? do you live with other people? does it piss them off?
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I used to live in a house in the middle of the boonies with 2 other guys. 2 amps and a drum kit in the basement, it was sweet. We could play any time at any level and not have to worry about anyone.

Now i live in a townhouse and I can only play loud until about 8 or so :( One of my neighbors complained "I don't know if you have a bass plugged into your guitar but it's too loud!" A bass plugged into a guitar??
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I live in an apartment...so I can never really crank it up. I did once and the people downstairs started complaining.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I love playing in Garages in the Country that's when I play really loud, now in the Apartment 15 watts is almost too much.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    lol *G*arages in the *C*ountry
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I love playing in Garages in the Country that's when I play really loud, now in the Apartment 15 watts is almost too much.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ok ok, Carports in the Country.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I take on the responsibility of having the practice space ! This way I don't have to schlep my normal 12 times to-fro the
    car-practice space. I have lived in Condo's/Apartments & as a drummer, IT SUCKS POOPY-KA-KA ! The dwellers below can hear & sometimes feel my electronic kick pedal vibration.
    Also, my approach to my neighbors is as follows:
    Go and introduce yourself as the new neighbor. Explain to them that you: ( choose one )
    play professionally locally,
    love to play your instrument often
    teach lessons,
    other.

Politely ask/discuss with them, the times that you WILL BE PlAYING are OK with their schedule. I found out that this works really well as it is respecting their peace of mind & you can ask if it ever gets too loud that they just call over & ask ya to turn it down. = no cops/landloard being called ! :>

I never ever play past 10:00 P.M., even in a band room with professional sound proofing on the walls. We just start earlier !
    my 2 cents,
    Drummer98136
    BOOM-DA-DA-DA-DA-BOOM-BOOM-DA-DA
  • Options
    we set up in my basement and are really loud...sometimes too loud. you can hear it from the end of my driveway and i live on a busy street...im sure the cops have come by but we can never hear them. needless to say, the people around us are'nt big fans.
    The Dollars
    www.thedollars.net

facebook.com/greendaytribute

GO GO WHITE SOX!! 2005 CHAMPS!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage
  • Options
    I never play with an amp at home. Only in rehersals is when i have it loud. Cant be bothered to set it all up at home.
    'Fox hunting is barbaric, the people who do it are a bunch of snobby tories with stupid posh accents. Oh damn, i didn't say that - damn, what a giveaway...'
  • Options
    Currently I live in a house, yet noone likes the music I listen to or play, so I don't get to crank it up. Before that, I lived in apartments so everything I play is always through my headphones. I long for the day when I'll be able to crank it up.
  • Options
    have you guys ever discovered a place to play whenever and however loud, me and two other guys have a "band", and while we can play at each others houses, we cant play as much as we would like, anyone know of places you could rent out for little money? or just some kind of good tip?
    "born on third, thinks he got a triple"

"hey thats mike mccready, he just walked by me, mike mccready just walked by me, that was fuckin mike mccready, jesus christ"-Eddie, 7/22/98

www.phishhook.com/lists/pjfan03
  • Options
    Originally posted by grungerock
    have you guys ever discovered a place to play whenever and however loud, me and two other guys have a "band", and while we can play at each others houses, we cant play as much as we would like, anyone know of places you could rent out for little money? or just some kind of good tip?

Ask around bars and clubs. During the day when they are not busy, they may let you reherse upstairs or in a small room they have. If you reherse there, then theres a good chance they'll ask you to gig there ;) thats what we did.
    'Fox hunting is barbaric, the people who do it are a bunch of snobby tories with stupid posh accents. Oh damn, i didn't say that - damn, what a giveaway...'
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    a band i was in briefly used to rehearse in a room over a auto repair shop. i think they charged us 100 a month which, when split between 4-5 guys, wasn't much.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    there are plentry of studios and rehearsal spaces to rent all over the place, my band has rented one out for the past 3 years, prices vary..pick up some local music scene booklet or something, there should be tons of places listed