Options

Help from fellow bass players

edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just started playing a bass a couple months ago, and I need an amp. I don't really know what to look for in an amp either. Any suggestions??
umm...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'd say you really dont need anything more than a 15 or so watt practice amp. Head over to musiciansfriend.com. I recommend Peavey or Crate (just for practice amps though).

Have fun!
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I really like the Ampeg stuff, but A Trace Elliot Boxer is a good one as well. Orange just built a new Crush Series Bass Amp, everything from Orange is good. Peavey makes good amps for fairley cheap, Carvin, Fender you really can't go too wrong. Even Vox has a really cool one. The only one's I'd say don't get are the slightly underpowered cheap ones

I think you should look for at least a 50 watt 12 so you can keep the amp for a while you really can't play with a band with under 50 watts the bass should be the most powerful instrument besides drums in the band.

The things you want to look for are, Output Wattage some where above 50 watts for bass preferably. Cabinet Construction (If it feels cheap it is cheap) Tone and Volume shaping. Preamp Postamp Gain, Treble Middle Bass EQ and on the newer amps Voicing controls and perhaps compression.

What not to look for, Built in Effects like Flange, Auto Wah etc.

You won't use them much anyway you can worry about effects later, don't pay more for them.

Put your money on the Cabinet, Speaker and tone shaping and you'll get the most for your money.

Play them all then decide.

15 watts is fine in fact you can get buy with 10 but eventually you will hopefully be playing with a band and a 50 watter will allow you some flexibility
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I have a little SWR 30 watt 10 in that I like to use alot.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    I always forget about SWR.

Hartke, Gallien Kruger, and David Eden are other good companies I failed to mention.

But it all goes to price......sadly it always does....and everything has a price.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Your right about the pricing. Hey I have a little Hartke haven't used it for a long time. I think I got way to much shit.

Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I always forget about SWR.

Hartke, Gallien Kruger, and David Eden are other good companies I failed to mention.

But it all goes to price......sadly it always does....and everything has a price.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pure I think it's time to clean out the closet. But there's so much cool stuff in there how can you just sell it?

For the original poster... It's a good idea to look in yard sales school sales etc for old but good stuff. There are lots of people who will keep a good amp a few years and then get rid of it or there Parents will sell it cheap when they move out. That's a really good way to get a lot of amp for a little money, but it's buyer beware that way so you'll have to check it out before buy it.

Used is cool but it has no warrenty.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Here's my recommendation for a GOOD amp to start with.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030922140901150131025216743190/g=home/search/detail/base_id/108168

It's got enough power to play with a group, can be tilted back for smaller stages, but can be played quietly at home and is portable. You can always add another cabinet later (like a 15" extension cab) and really pump the stage volume. It's reliable, well-built, and versatile. THere are cheaper amps out there, but I'd spend the dime on a good amp that you'll still want to play through five years from now.

If you have a price range, we could probably limit our selections...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    awesome, thanks for the help guys! now all i need to do is find the money...
    umm...