An appeal to guitar or bass players

thelouderthebetterthelouderthebetter Posts: 57
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi
My neighbor "Youthinkyou'reold" , told me about this board, I guess posted on this board when he was in town last week. His name is Rob, I don't think that jeopordizes privacy , and that name doesn't fit him! He just left on tour, so I have no communication with him, but I have a request to any kind people out there..
Rob took my 12 year old autistic son, helmet and all,to his first concert, a Pearl Jam concert last spring at the Spectrum , a difficult feat, but what has happened is since that concert, my son now LOVES pearl jam!. which is in turn causing him to love music even more, which is giving him something to concentrate on, which gives me minutes during the day to be an artist. It's very satisfying to see him love something.
Rob gave my son a guitar and amp , as a surprise the other day before he left. This has turned out to be an amazing blessing. He LOVES it. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
He needs to learn a song. I need to hear some music from him. You should hear an autistic boy on an electric guitar with no songs to play. Rob was so patient, and had taught him basic open chords, I play a little so I may be able to teach him some progressions.
Sorry, this is the long winded way to ask:

Does anybody know some pearl jam song chord progressions that are mostly open chords, or know of a source where I can finds some on the net, It's difficult for me to get to a music store and difficult for me to figure them out. And my virtuoso neighbor is gone for a while! I'm new at the internet. His favorite songs are
Black,,,,, ( because of the Doo Doo Dooo doo do do do) at the end. He screams it!
The elderly woman song ( because everyone shouts hello )
He has the Spectrum live cds and Ten and vs. from Rob
Anything off these would be good though, as he can hear them off the cd .

Thank you all in advance, and is this the right place to ask?
It seems so
Jenny
Smile :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Last Kiss is very easy open chords. Just G, Em, C, D. Stays the same the whole time. Not played at Spectrum but quite frequent on setlists.
    "Set the gearshift to the high gear of your soul"
    A certain VT musician

"Yes officer, I believe this vehicle is fit for highway travel. I do, I really do."
    Del Griffith
  • Thank you Slawdog! I love that song! I loved the old version , too.
    Do you, or anyone know of a song that was on the cd, or a place to find chords on the net. My time is so limited to check, as I have my hands full! I found something about guitar tabs, but i can never actually get to the sites, and not quite sure I'll know what to do when I get there!
    I must sound like I'm slow. Not! Just every minute of the day taken by my boy always moving!
    Thanks
  • Hi Jenny. It's great that your son has discovered the music of Pearl Jam. It brought a smile to my face reading your post.

A great site that I use quite a bit myself to find Pearl Jam guitar chords and transcriptions is http://www.giventowail.com.

If I remember correctly, they even have a few suggestions for beginning guitarists and recommend Pearl Jam songs that are easy for beginners.

I hope you find some use from the site. There's quite a bit there if you take some time to explore it.

Hope this helps!

Chad
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    yeah Chad there's a whole section devoted to beginners.. Jenny, check your PM's :)

http://www.giventowail.com/beginner is the address
  • How great this is. In two hours, I've learned more about the internet and Pearl Jam than I thought I would ever know.
    Eddie ( my son ) is in the other room screaming doo doo doo doo playing one and a half of the chords from Black with his new guitar from Rob. If you all were to hear it, you would think, what the Hell is going on in there! Call the music cops! To me , it's peace and quiet. Because he is happy, he is at peace and it's like an alarm for me. As long as I hear all that noise in there, I know where he is. When it goes quiet, there's trouble!

I think Eddie probably loves Pearl Jam because they're the only concert he's ever seen, and it really impacted him. The show sounds wonderful on the cd. He wouldn't understand lyrics, but the overall sensory experience impacted him. I've never seen them, but you can tell that they love their fans, and their fans love them.

So thank you Rick, Chad and Slawdog for your advice and your help. I'm so glad that Rob took him to Pearl Jam , and not a cheesy boy band. Because I would be trying to find guitar chords to the New Kids on the Block and I would have to listen to them!

And Rick, Thanks for your mail, and for your website. That,,,,,,,was a lot of work well done
    Thanks
    Jenny
  • This is to sweet! :)
  • I think there are some sweet people on this board.

I have to say, I'm getting a little tired of DOO DOO DODODOOO, but I made my bed, I guess I sleep in it. I need to get him on a new song! Once his brain gets onto something, it's a big job to change it! I at least need to get that one last chord in there. It's unreleased musical tension. Imagine that line without the E minor!

Thanks again! Enjoy the Beautiful day! ( East Coast anyway )

Jenny