Options

Something I never thought of...

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am watching old Johhny Cash videos thanks to Kazaa.

on a verson of "I walk the line", he says that he likes the sound of a snare drum, and he didn't have one, so he put the paper in the strings and got his own.

It looks like he threaded a strip of paper through the strings below the capo and he plays the percussion that sounds like the brushes on a snare. What a simple and great idea.
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jdesko23jdesko23 Posts: 32
    i love johnny cash, but, i wanna try this, so, is this how to do it....
    capo your guitar at the, lets say, seventh fret. take a piece of paper, and put it under the strings from the 1st fret to 6th fret, is the right?? or do i put the paper over the 6th string, under the 5th, over the 4th, under the 3rd, etc...
  • Options
    Whoa, What a blast from the past.
    I remember that from way back, and my guitar teacher showed me back when Johnny Cash did that. I kinda remember a movie where he had paper between the nut an a capo, but when I did it it didn't work. Then my teacher showed me the way it would work.
    You take thin paper and weave into one or two strings higher up, maybe under the low E, over A ,D and down in,no need for capo. So you play your open chord, and the paper ( waxed paper works, but thin paper does ,too) is up at like the 8th or 9th fret or so. You don't get all the strings playing, but it was cool.

Oh hell, now I gotta try it. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, thin paper, I used aluminum foil, start under the Low E, up and over a couple, then back down under the B and E. Put it in up right in the vibrating strings 8th fret or so. Then you can bend the foil around a bit to let the strings play a little. How Cheesy! How Cool. I love it.

Thanks blackredyellow!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    the capo really had nothing to do with it. it was capoed on the second fret for the song, the paper was weaved in from about the 3rd to the 5th fret and he was playing chords below that.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm sitting here on my porch today playing music with a piece of waxed paper in my guitar. I sound like a friggin one man jug band! I'm sure my neighbors think I've gone over the top now. I'm out of here in a couple of days for a few months. They probably can't wait NOW!
    Where's my Kazoo! Blackredyellow, come on over! Beers are cold! I got more wax paper!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    I have my wax paper packed, ready to go and play on my nights off under the African stars. Thanks for bringing that up , blackredyellow!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    yee haw, break out the moon shine and lets play!
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    i thought you guys were crazy when i read this but im bored so i tried it and its kinda cool so thanks and uh sorry for doubting you guys
    if i had known then what i know now...
  • Options
    That doesn't mean we're not crazy! They all doubt us at first!

Hell, I'm leaving tomorrow to go on tour with an african bikutsi band to eastern Europe and Africa for 3 or more months!,,,,,,,, I'm wondering about me, too!,,,,,,,,, A blond guitar player in a sea of tribal frenetic African ( Awesome ) music!
    Gone To California
  • Options
    To Blackredyellow.

I read your post about the Johnny Cash and the paper in the guitar strings.
    It's pretty funny, because I heard "youthinkyou'reold" outside playing acoustic guitar, so we walked over, and he was singing Johnny Cash songs with aluminum foil buzzing. He said that he saw a guy on the internet talk about that.
    And now I found that post.
    This world is way small
    Smile :)