Options

grumpy cockatiel pedals inc.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
this was my daydream yesterday. my new basement industry. guaranteed to simply cost me money but hey, why not. it's just a dream.

i came up with 4 different channel switcher designs. all meant to live on a pedalboard full time and only needing the guitar and outputs plugged in for setup. all your ins and outs in one place. the first thing your signal hits is the tuner switch giving a pure signal for tuning.

all have:
- tuner output than mutes the main outputs for tuning.
- LED indication.
- no buffers.
- DPDT switching

0) A/B selector with no effect loop. any effects for each amp would come after the box.

1) A/B selector with one effect loop common to A and B. this is the one i built and posted pictures of already.
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/pedalboard/I-O%20Box.JPG

2) A/B selector with two effects loops (one for A one for B). good for two amps with totally different effects loops. or, an electric signal and related effects and an acoustic signal with its own effects. this is the next one i'm going to build.

3) A/B selector with three effects loops. one effect loop before the A/B split for effects common to both amps and then one effect loop each for A and B. same as (1) but with the ability to patch in all effects to one box. advantages are easy of set-up and a reduction of wear on effect pedal jacks. requires a bigger box (about 5.7" wide vs. 4.7" for the others). this one would take some time b/c the box is hard to get a hold of.

with all of them, any effect loop not required can simply be jumpered with a short effect cable. or, you can crack open the box and hardwire the jumper.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/GCP%20-%20channel%20switchers.gif

fun fun.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    put me down for 2.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    #2 or quantity 2. :)
  • Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    I'll take number 2. I play with 2 amps, and need the little lights and thingys that tell me where I am! The tuner mute is a good idea.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    quantity 2.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    if you guys actually want one, pm me. i don't want to annoy the board by soliciting. i was kinda just thinking out loud but if people want them, i'll make them.
  • Options
    I actually DO want one, and I don't think you're annoying the board. I believe in buying stuff locally, or from someone who puts care into what they're doing than from a huge retailer. I guess you're not local, though. ,,,,,well, you're this side of the hemisphere from Delaware I guess!
    Close enough for me!
    I will pm you, but I gotta check out of my hotel now and go look at my slightly squished house.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    You have to do something to individualize your pedals from others. Colors, Graphics. Something that screams, Grumpy Cock pedals from Canada
  • Options
    i'm working on the logo in my spare time. right now though, it's a naked aluminum box with handwritten markings. (or black powder coat it if i can't find the unfinished). if i actually was making a lot of them i'd invest in a toaster oven and some enamel.

this isn't a complicated circuit or anything. they're really easy to make if you've got the tools.

i have to figure out how much they'd cost but it shouldn't be more than than a morley A/B/Y for sure. it should be less. it all depends on the quantities i buy the parts in of course.

i have no idea how much people would actually pay for such a thing either.
  • Options
    to keep costs down you should build to order with cash upfront to pay for materials.
  • Options
    i'd have to. at least initially. or else get like 5 orders and buy parts in bulk. the store i found locally is cheaper than ordering from mouser. basically, whatever it costs at mouser in US, i can get here for the same amount but in canadian. these things won't be pretty but hey, they're hand point to point wired!!!

anyway, the morley is $50US
    the whirlwind is $80+US (!!!!)
  • Options
    and neither is true bypass and they both suck tone.

you should use LED colors like Violet and Orange or Green or White even if they cost a couple bucks more because it'd look cool.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Interesting concepts for items #2 & 3. How do you see yourself controlling the need for tuning once your dealing with multiple amps and effects?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    here's how mine's wired.
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/pedalboard/box%20guts.JPG

the only difference i can see between this and the way fuller wired his A/B box (using a 3PDT) is that the ground is on the switch rather than a lug.

i don't know. mine's dead quiet with the power hooked up. i couldn't hear a difference with the LEDs on or off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'd have to. at least initially. or else get like 5 orders and buy parts in bulk. the store i found locally is cheaper than ordering from mouser. basically, whatever it costs at mouser in US, i can get here for the same amount but in canadian. these things won't be pretty but hey, they're hand point to point wired!!!

anyway, the morley is $50US
    the whirlwind is $80+US (!!!!)

Pretty doesn't count to me on a dark stage. Different colored lights to tell me whassup, and when I hit a button, the button works. That's what counts. I'm a simple man. Up front money is fine, and don't sell yourself short. And remember, they're easy to make for you, but most people don't have time or the knowledge to make something like that.
    (Hey, wait a minute, I'm not driving a very hard bargain, am I ! )
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Interesting concepts for items #2 & 3. How do you see yourself controlling the need for tuning once your dealing with multiple amps and effects?

as soon as you hit the switch for the tuner, the signal to the amps and effect loops is cut off.
  • Options
    as soon as you hit the switch for the tuner, the signal to the amps is cut off.

I saw that you addressed that point after I posted.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    tuner mute is a stomp switch right? and it's first so it kills everything?

By the way Keeley has a new A/B looper for 60 bucks.
  • Options

Hi puremagic,,,
    It's great on a stage to quickly mute to tune, I bend strings out of tune all the time, It's also great not to run through a tuner to the amp, less noise.

( Don't tell exhausted that I think that's cool, or he'll raise my price!)
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    tuner mute is a stomp switch right? and it's first so it kills everything?

By the way Keeley has a new A/B looper for 60 bucks.

that one's kinda cool too. more like the boss LS-2 (except true bypass)
  • Options
    Ex the company I used to mention Super Looper I believe is now out of business because Robert Keeley was friends with them so there may be a small market niche for you amongst hard core Pearl Jam fans at least. I'd buy one from you just because I think you're a swell guy.
  • Options
    the boss volume pedals have a tuner output as well. same concept.
  • Options
    Ex the company I used to mention Super Looper I believe is now out of business because Robert Keeley was friends with them so there may be a small market niche for you amongst hard core Pearl Jam fans at least. I'd buy one from you just because I think you're a swell guy.

well, only if it's useful to you.
  • Options
    THe fulltone switch is basically just a really strong switch that is easy to wire and it ensures proper grounding. Otherwise you have to make sure what ever the ground wire is wired to is properly grounded. Is it worth 15 bucks? I don't know but the boutique guys seem to wear them out. Except for Matt Farrow who uses Carlings the DPDT's like you're talking about.
  • Options
    the boss volume pedals have a tuner output as well. same concept.

Better to buy from Exhausted, than from boss. Then we know who we can spam if it doesn't work!

: )

Oh Oh, I'm getting harassed. It's noon, I guess my 11:00am check out has worn out.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Good point. Looking to trade, I got goodies.

well, only if it's useful to you.
  • Options
    Good point. Looking to trade, I got goodies.

trade ya a switcher for that SD-1. :)
  • Options
    THe fulltone switch is basically just a really strong switch that is easy to wire and it ensures proper grounding. Otherwise you have to make sure what ever the ground wire is wired to is properly grounded. Is it worth 15 bucks? I don't know but the boutique guys seem to wear them out. Except for Matt Farrow who uses Carlings the DPDT's like you're talking about.

i used a heavy-ass duty switch in the one i made. shitloads better than the ones in my morley. and half the cost of a fulltone.

it's amazing how much they (not fulltone) jack up the price when they sell something in the context of guitar. (ie, a $1 1/4" jack is $5 at the guitar store).
  • Options
    yeah, it's ridiculous. I agree. Consider the fact that I paid 20 dollars for 4 monster banana connectors per cable for my home system. Basically I have a couple hundred bucks just in cables alone and I'm not even done yet, so I feel your pain.
  • Options
    trade ya a switcher for that SD-1. :)

Refresher, the list is to long, is that one of the original you requested

-the super chorus
    -the super overdrive
    -the tube works overdrive

or something else?
  • Options
    i was looking at george l's for about a second before i realized how much all the connectors i need would cost.