PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
fairly new to the board and I was wondering how many like me are out there.Doesn't matter to which fellowship you may be a part of.Curious to know how certain songs or lyrics aid in your recovery.and while certianly fictional what lessons do you get from PJ's work.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There are so many PJ tunes that I find apply but I think the best is," Saw things so much clearer, in my Rearviewmirror". Stay clean and sober, it's well worth it as time goes on.
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Congrats on taking the 12 step journey!!!! I've never been there but I have seen a 12 step program revolutionize my mother in law's life. And therefore increase the quality of the lives of everyone around her. Best of luck and hang on for the ride - it's worth it.

Damn Piper - I was gonna say "RVM"! Every time I hear "I gathered speed from you fucking with me" I hold up a gigantic middle finger to the person who emotionally abused me for 45 years. Music = Freedom
    Peace
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame

make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today

I know this one thing well,...

I used to try and kill love, it was the highest sin
    breathing insecurity out and in

Searching hope, I'm shown the way to run straight
    pursuing the greater way for all,... human light.

How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.
    How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today

Holding on, the light of night
    On my knees to rise and fix my broken soul

Again.

Let me run into the rain
    To be a human light again

Let me run into the rain
    To shine a human light today

Life comes from within your heart and desire
    Life comes from within my heart and desire
    Life comes from within your heart and desire
  • Rearview seems to be looking back on the shit... but when you begin your journey after being in a booze/drug haze for a long time it's more like...

My lips are shakin
    My nails are bit off
    Its been a month since Ive heard myself talk
    All this advantage this lifes got on me
    Picture a coffin in the middle of the sea

The 12 steps can really be simplified to taking care of your business, and everything else will take care of itself.

saw that new post too... inside job is a great one as well.
    "One just escapes, one's left inside the well... and he who forgets will be destined to remember"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    should have clarified.I'm new to the pit.I've been the rooms for awhile now and my life is incredibly better. It's just even when still using I interpreted certain songs that way(recovery).Like EWBCIAST that song just killed me.WAAAAAY back early nineties, Wash floored me enough that I tossed the tape.Couldn't let go.And then , when I was ready Wash still meant the same thing to me.Lost Dogs has a bunch of stuff The Dogs disc first 6 or 7 songs.Strange Tribe spoke to me about my new recovery family (line about angled light i.e. new perspective). From the Seattle "scene" Alice in Chains always seemed to be about the problem and PJ spoke massively of hope in a despairing kinda way.and the last disc "avocado" yeah definately Inside Job and Life Wasted speaks directly about what I left behind.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    so spooky because I had the exact same thought of starting a thread like this..

Have been in recovery for about 3 years now..

I read portions of the lyrics to "Thumbing My Way" and "Inside Job" to my AA group after I got my one year chip..

I use Mike McCready as my inspiration...

You can be sober and a head-banging rocker as well!

Lots of recovery themes in PJ songs...

welcome to the "Inside Job"-site thread, I guess?!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • You all have it so right with Inside Job and I Got Shit. It does come from inside. We have to draw strength from within to keep putting days of sobriety together. to have that resolve to say that no matter what, I will not lose my faith in myself, every day.
    imagine dvd Mike saying "to say I'm obsessed is an understatement...."
    i was like YEAHHH!So many more songs that I've often wondered if ed and the boys have read the Big Book and used those themes in writing.seems like so many themes of songs correspond with with whats written. BUt those are times I need to remember that I'm bodily and mentally different from my fellows and that generally "normies" think and act , well , normally.Any way I do draw inspiration from just about all their stuff.

• potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    inside job is definately about what goes on during the road to recovery.

The 12 steps are a great way to get your life back on track but dont work for everyone. Good luck and hang in there. I hope the steps continue to do what they are suppose to for you.

Find yourself and the rest is easy.
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • I been coming around awhile now. I often wonder about alot of their songs and sobriety. Its fun to listen to good music sober. Whole new meanings.
  • after I got my one year chip..

congratulations on that milestone!

i was a week away from my year chip and slipped.
    one became five,

before my wife and I got married, she went out to celebrate graduating a summer paralegal program on her ten month day.now realizes she shouldn't have gone because she was uncomfortable to begin with. We both learned a valuable lesson from that. For me , I'm to work my own program and for her she will never not need the rooms and everything that goes with them.At that time a good friend eased her mind over this by telling her she really didn't lose anything.his analogy was if i'm walking to the store and fall down half way there I don't get up and start from the beginning , I get up and keep going.

I hope you took from that experience of yours somme lessons you can apply.We did annd we're stronger individually and as a couple.

• mrbakomrbako Posts: 54
    I am not involved with aa anymore, but it was defintely helpful for me early in sobriety. Anyway, present tense.......
  • jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    I have faced it,... A life wasted,...
    I'm never going back again.

Reminds me of the bottom and not wanting back there again.
  • pauly-ppauly-p Posts: 12
    Oh...the lights of this city.....they only look good when I'm speeding......ohhhh...this time I'm gone, so long, this time I'm gone....I'm gone!
    Chris Cornell is in recovery and his lyrics to "Cochise" from Audioslave seem to be 12 step themed:

Well I been watchin’
    While you been coughin
    I’ve been drinking life
    While you been nausous
    And so I drink to health
    While you kill yourself
    And I got just one thing
    That I can offer

Go and save yourself
    Take it out on me
    Go and and save yourself
    Take it out on me yea

Well I’m not a martyr
    I’m not a prophet
    And I won’t preach to you
    But heres a caution
    You better understand
    That I won’t hold your hand
    But if it helps you mend
    Then I won’t stop it

I also see imagery of steps one and four in "Burden in my Hand"(Soundgarden)..to me its about the days when my disease controlled me..with selfishness and wallowing in my own dirt..
    I imagine Chris was probably going through the same things when he wrote it..

Follow me into the desert
    As thirsty as you are
    Crack a smile and cut your mouth
    And drown in alcohol
    cause down below the truth is lying
    Beneath the riverbed
    So quench yourself and drink the water
    That flows below her head

I shot my love today
    would you cry for me?
    I lost my head again
    would you lie for me?
    I left her in the sand
    just a burden in my hand
    I lost my head again
    would you cry for me?

Close your eyes
    and bow your head
    I need a little sympathy
    cause fear is strong
    and loves for everyone
    Who isnt me
    So kill your health
    and kill yourself
    And kill everything you love
    And if you live
    you can fall to pieces
    And suffer with my ghost
    Just a burden in my hand
    Just an anchor on my heart
    Just a tumor in my head
    And Im in the dark

So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued
    to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have god
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    well hell , almost the whole audioslave disc "out of exile " speaks to recovery for me.even alot of soundgarden speaks to recovery in a weird way.

• Struggle
    1 : to make strenuous or violent efforts in the face of difficulties or opposition <struggling with the problem>
    2 : to proceed with difficulty or with great effort <struggled through the high grass> <struggling to make a living>
    this lyric is from Indifference

I'll swallow poison till I grow Immune (Disturbing)
    12/27/91-L.A.-W/Nirvana & Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9/10/92-Singles Party L.A-Park Plaza Hotel
    12/1/93-Las Vegas Aladdin Hotel
    7/10/98-San Diego Cox Arena
    7/11/98-Las Vegas Thomas & Mack
    8/12/00 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    4/13/03 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    10/8/04 Kissimee I want the DVD
    another good line from indifference is "I'll keep taking punches til their will grows tired."

the things I seem to struggle with are the day to day mundane things. so far the desire to be and stay sober are far stronger than any desire or fleeting thought to get messed up.Fortunately I've got a good sponser and an awesome home group.meets 7 days a week.

• ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    Awesome thread. I have always thought about starting one like this, but just never have. Thanks for getting this discussion going. The whole PJ experience is a spiritual one for me, so therefore just about everything within it relates to my recovery. When I saw PJ at MSG this year, I was very, very emotional, particularly on Night 1. The song "Down," (played at that show) is one that comes to mind immediately. I actually quoted it Tuesday night in my meeting: "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done," i.e. if I can do it, so can you - Miracles Happen.

Pearl Jam and McCready's story are all about hope and the strength of faith, trust and love to bring us into the light and ensure us that life is a gift and everything will work out in the end. So it turns out for me that PJ is another extension or appendage of my recovery, Higher Power and the 12 Steps.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
    "all the rusted signs we ignored throughout our lives.. choosing the shiny ones instead.."

(Make sense?)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    bump..

anyone hung over?

(not me!)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    I have to say Inside Job for obvious reasons. Thats why when I saw a thread not too long ago about how the lyrics to that song were "cheesy" I almost took it personal.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    locked wrote:
    so spooky because I had the exact same thought of starting a thread like this..

Have been in recovery for about 3 years now..

I read portions of the lyrics to "Thumbing My Way" and "Inside Job" to my AA group after I got my one year chip..

I use Mike McCready as my inspiration...

You can be sober and a head-banging rocker as well!

Lots of recovery themes in PJ songs...

welcome to the "Inside Job"-site thread, I guess?!

It's posts like this one and ChadsStillAlive's that make me feel great to find so much enjoyment in this music.

Great thread, keep up the good fight.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    i'm still so rough typing this post from last night,some really fine post's from people who are obvisouly better people than me, keep it up

all those yesterdays ~ let it all wash away BTW
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • smile05 wrote:
    i'm still so rough typing this post from last night,some really fine post's from people who are obvisouly better people than me, keep it up

What do you mean by better people? No one is any better than anyone else. If you mean people who have more sobriety time, that doesn't make them better, just more sober. I have met stone cold addicts and drunks who have it more together than people I know in sobriety. I know it sounds corny, but all people are equal. If you are being facetious, thats another story.
  • Great topic. My best friend is in recovery, since last December. She likes Pearl Jam, not a huge fan or anything but she loves Into the Wild. I think it's helped her a great deal. I'm going to get her to listen to Inside Job though.
    Some great songs listed here, All Those Yesterdays being a great mention. I'll throw out another song here, esp. for those with loved ones they're trying to help: Save You
    lets try to keep this hot and on top. currently out of town and away from my homegroup. did my homework and found one of 5 clubhouses in cincy.going to the one closest to hotel.matter of fact i need to change from work and get ready for the meeting.I'll be on later.

• shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    smile05 wrote:

Im a little confused by your post, its not about being better, I hope you don't really feel that way, everyone has their demons. I managed to make a little more than 5 months clean and sober before I threw it away. Honestly, I know at times Ive been playing with fire for about the last 2 years now. The last time I went to a meeting, I freaked out and never even got out of my truck, I didn't go in. This is a great thread. Good luck to all of you. I know it can be an amazing struggle at times.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
    sherm3000 wrote:
    Im a little confused by your post, its not about being better, I hope you don't really feel that way, everyone has their demons. I managed to make a little more than 5 months clean and sober before I threw it away. Honestly, I know at times Ive been playing with fire for about the last 2 years now. The last time I went to a meeting, I freaked out and never even got out of my truck, I didn't go in. This is a great thread. Good luck to all of you. I know it can be an amazing struggle at times.

I would say you haven't thrown anything away.maybe you were just sticking your toe in the water , so to speak.were you attending meetings only? I did 3 months initially not steps just meetings.doesn't work.least not for me.I'm sure the people you've met in the rooms would be very glad to see you again.and thanks for being a part of this thread.