Greatest Line Eddie Ever Wrote

I am a huge Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder fan.
I think he is an amazing writer. What his words mean to us is ussually a personal interpretation which is the beauty behind art, music etc. However, I feel there are some often some genius of brevity that comes out of his pen, meanings that are universally understood, some more ambiguous..anyone have any favorites?
Feel free to share !

My personal favorites:
"Clouds roll by, reeling is what they say,
or is it just my way?" -Lowlight

"He who forgets, will be destined to remember"-Nothingman
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mine are:

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be the star in somebody else's sky why can't it be mine"

"a snowflake falls in may"

"nature has it's own religion, gospel of the land"

"first he was stripped, then he was stabbed by the faceless men well fuckers, he still stands"

"Hearts and thoughts they fade away"

Those are just a few! I love them all!
    "Sometimes you see a strange spot in the sky a human being that was given to fly"
    (or is it superman?)

"are you gonna bark all day little doggy? or are you gonna bite?" - I'll give you 3 guesses but the first 2 don't count!

"That love is all we know, is all we know of love"
  • I've lived all this life,
    Like an ocean in disguise..
  • hmmm....i can't think of a favourite just yet, but i will think hard about it and put it here as soon as i find it out :) I think that it could be a toss up between a line from I got Shit, or a line from Light Years, or maybe Sad? Hmm...i dunno yet...

btw, i don't think Eddie wrote the lyrics to Nothingman, im sure Jeff wrote all that, and at the time it was written, apparantly Eddie was shocked at how beautiful the lyrics were when Jeff first gave them too him.

And also, seen as someone quoted a part from GTF, i would like to quote the following line, which is also as powerful:
    "and he still gives his love- he just gives it way, the love he receives is the love that is saved..." i love that part.

Good choice with MOTH too, that is such a beautiful song..
    Situations get fucked up and turned around sooner or later...
  • "I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The inbetween is mine
    I am mine"
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    freezing...Rests his head on a pillow made of concrete..
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • vengeance has no place so near to her
  • "Ransom paid the devil. He whispers pleasing words.
    Triumphant are the angels if they can get there first."

Best line(s) ever.
    "But you see, you get more for your money with the big ones. It's like a two for one special."

That was the line I used when dating to convince girls they should like fat guys.

-Boosk.
  • My signature from the song "ghost" Best lyric ever
    It doesnt hurt.... when I bleed
    but memories...they eat me
    I've seen it all before,...
    bring it on cause I'm no victim.
    -Ghost
  • "Don't need a hand,
    There's always arms attached"

Eddie is so clever...
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    -dies to be part of the ground - cropduster
    -every gain of sand equals, all the stars and everyone-rival
    -there was a solemn man watched his twilight dissapear in the sand-evac
    -feel the resonance of distance-insignificance
  • "The direction of the eye so misleading, the defection of the soul nausiously quick"

makes me feel like a teenager in high school again... oh Mary, you sure did steal my soul. he he.
  • "I'll swallow poison until I grow immune, I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room... how much difference does it make?"
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Mohab wrote:
    -dies to be part of the ground - cropduster
    -every gain of sand equals, all the stars and everyone-rival
    -there was a solemn man watched his twilight dissapear in the sand-evac
    -feel the resonance of distance-insignificance

Sorry to nitpick but rival was written by Stone, not Eddie. It does have amazing lyrics though and it is my fave off Binaural.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I've got memories, I've got shit. So much it don't show.

• My personal favorites:
    "Clouds roll by, reeling is what they say,
    or is it just my way?" -Lowlight

"He who forgets, will be destined to remember"-Nothingman

these are both fantastic lyrics and songs. also, both written by Jeff Ament. don't worry dude, I'm not picking on you...but now you know.
  • I'm sure Ed had a little help with at least a few of these...but they're damn good either way!! That's why they're the best band. Anyways:

'The waiting drove me mad...you're finally here and I'm a mess...'--Corduroy

'All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...'--Thumbing My Way

'Have you the belief that the road ahead ascends off into the light?'--Present Tense

'So this is what it's like to be an adult...if he only knew now what he knew then...'--I'm Open

'Don't even think about reachin' me, i won't be home.
    Don't even think about stoppin' by...don't think of me at all.
    I did, what I had to do, if there was a reason, it was you...'--Footsteps

'I know when I would not ever touch you...hold you...feel you...in my arms...
    never again...'--Porch

'I took a drive today...time to emancipate.'--Rearviewmirror
    PJ: Toledo-9/22/96. E. Lansing-8/18/98. Detroit-8/23/98. Detroit-10/7/00. Detroit-6/25 & 6/26/03. Toledo-10/2/04 [VFC]. Detroit-5/22/06. Chicago-8/5/07 [Lolla]. Cleveland-5/9/10. Baltimore-10/27/13.

EV: Honolulu-4/21 & 4/22/07 [Kokua]. Detroit-6/26/11.
  • "some die just to live" - immortality

"and i'm not living this life without you, i'm selfish and clear" - save you

"and the young they can loose hope because they cant see beyond today, the wisdom that the old can't give away" - lbc

-listening to riot act right this minute...but very hard to not just write every lyric down that comes to mind - all of them speak different to me

mero

/end first post.
  • "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life..."

"memories like fingerprints are slowly raising

"i pulled the covers over him, shoulda' pulled the alarm
    turned to my nemesis...a fool, not a fucking god"

"it's been about three days now since i've been aground
    no longer overwhelmed and it seems so simple now
    it's funny when things change so much
    it's all a state of mind"

"i sometimes realize i could only be as good as you'll let me"

"standing, like a statue
    a chin of stone, a heart of clay, hey... "
    3/28/94; 10/7/96; 9/23/98; 8/9/00; 8/10/00; 7/8/03; 7/9/03; 10/1/04; 10/3/05; 5/13/06; 5/27/06; 6/1/06; 6/3/06

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit...what a ride!"
  • Actually, Vedder and Ament wrote Nothingman.

How about :
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead,
    I turned my back, now there's no turning back..

He floated back down cause he wanted to share, the keys to the locks on the chains, he saw everywhere..
  • Spooky, "All the rusted signs..." was playing through my CD player as I was reading the exact same lyrics.
    Actually, Vedder and Ament wrote Nothingman.

How about :
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead,
    I turned my back, now there's no turning back..
    3/28/94; 10/7/96; 9/23/98; 8/9/00; 8/10/00; 7/8/03; 7/9/03; 10/1/04; 10/3/05; 5/13/06; 5/27/06; 6/1/06; 6/3/06

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit...what a ride!"
  • Great quote on life!

How about:
    Like weeds, with big leaves, stealing light from what's beneath, where they have more, still they take more..
    Green Disease is a rockin jam! I just wish it was longer, had another verse or two,.,it flys!
  • releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    after spending half his life searching he still felt as blank as the ceiling at which he stared... he is alive, but feels absolutely nothing... so is he?

i think, sadly, many of us feel this way, more often than we should.

(and yeah, i cheated... it's more than a line, but it *is* one thought.)
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • State of love and trust as I busted down the pretext
    Sin still plays and preaches, but to have an empty court, SOLAT
    twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. no question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. the creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but alredy it was impossible to say which was which
    george orwell
  • Oh, when I was a kid...oh, how magic it seemed
    Oh, please let me sleep, it's Christmas time
    twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. no question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. the creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but alredy it was impossible to say which was which
    george orwell
  • I feel that way wat too often as of late. Cheer me up, someone.
    releaseNY wrote:
    after spending half his life searching he still felt as blank as the ceiling at which he stared... he is alive, but feels absolutely nothing... so is he?

i think, sadly, many of us feel this way, more often than we should.

(and yeah, i cheated... it's more than a line, but it *is* one thought.)

• There are definately many...but here are a few of the favs...

"I pledge my grievance to the flag.
    Cause you don't give blood then take it back again.
    Oh we're all deserving something more."- GRIEVANCE

" let go of a rope, thinking that's what held me back and
    in time I've realized, it's now wrapped around my neck"- THUMBING MY WAY

"It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
    That this hopeless... situation
    Is what I'm trying to achieve" - ALL OR NONE

" I know someday you'll have a beautiful life I know your be a star in somebody else's sky but why, why can't it be mine..?" - BLACK

"I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room"- INDIFFERENCE
    - Keep on rockin' in the free world
    * Increase the peace *
    - Ashleigh
  • i just cant do it. i have writen loads of lines and just deleted them coz i wanted another. i just cant. i would be here all day. pj have writen so many songs and to pick a fav out of them is impossible for me. it just changes everyday.
    Fuck me if i say somthing you dont want to hear,
    Fuck me if you only hear whats in your head.
    Fuck me if you can, coz im not leaving here.
  • "I wish I was the grounds for 50 million hands up raised and open towards the sky." - wishlist
  • "To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please"

"Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding all thought. I'll dry up Leaving puddles on the ground. I'm like an opening band for the sun.

'Life existed long before greed"

"Oh dear dad, can you see me now? I am myself, like you somehow"

"No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all"

"If for once I could feel love, oh stare back at me yeah"

"And the young they can lose hope cause they can't seem beyond today, the wisdom that the old can't give away"

"Have a drink their buying, bottle of, bottle of denial"
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • I usually use a line from a song as my msn name. I've used most of the lines that are posted here. Like others say, it's too hard to pick a best line. I guess it all depends on circumstances. "It's funny how things change so much, it's all state of mind". Great line too. I've never found a line that sounded perfect to me and covers exactly how I feel. I've never managed to express my feelings in one line either, so I guess I'll never find it. Limited as it is, language is a beautiful thing.