PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    What worked for me is not freaking out about understanding, the "why's" and the "how's' of AA ...

Someone said when asked "How does AA work?"
    you should just say " AA works fine!, Thank you".

If you're still confused then "Fake it 'til you make it".. (worked for me)

If you want what people in AA have.. do what they do..

Don't drink or use drugs
    Go to meetings
    Try not to hurt anyone each day (including yourself)
    Repeat...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    ...to all of you.
    I hope you make it through.

Peace & Love to all
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

thought for the day..

If people keep disapointing you..

lower your expectations!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    locked wrote:
    thought for the day..

If people keep disapointing you..

lower your expectations!

I second that.Day goes sooooo much better with little or no input from me.
    I would also add if you keep disappointing yourself lower your expectations we are only human after all and far from PERFECT.
    something my sponser said to me "Put the stick DOWN!!!!"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    mickeyrat wrote:
    fairly new to this and I was wondering how many like me are out there.Doesn't matter to which fellowship you may be a part of.Curious to know how certain songs or lyrics aid in your recovery.and while certianly fictional what lessons do you get from PJ's work.

im coming up on 3 years. im in aa, but was pretty much addicted to anything i ever touched.

'inside job' is pretty clearly about mike's struggles with addiction and includes a lot of program-related lyrics.
    and like that... he's gone.
    What do you mean by better people? No one is any better than anyone else. If you mean people who have more sobriety time, that doesn't make them better, just more sober. I have met stone cold addicts and drunks who have it more together than people I know in sobriety. I know it sounds corny, but all people are equal. If you are being facetious, thats another story.

i've had a few people tell me i was less of an asshole when i was drinking ;) i take it as a reminder that i've been letting my meeting attendance slide way too much!
    catch22 wrote:
    i've had a few people tell me i was less of an asshole when i was drinking ;) i take it as a reminder that i've been letting my meeting attendance slide way too much!

Yeah. I seem to remember being somewhat more tolerant when using but that was probably cuz I was looking for the next one!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • It definately is a struggle, but one that is well worth it. I myself have been clean for about two and a half years now and my life is 1000x better than it was. Music has been with me the whole time and has helped me through many rough spots. If you're struggling, go to a meeting. You don't even have to talk, sometimes just listening is enough. Anyway, as far as recovery related PJ stuff, I'd say Inside Job is probably my favorite. Good luck to all.
  • When I got out of rehab in early 95, I went to this halfway house that I really hated. The second night I was there, I turned on the radio and heard that a Pearl Jam special was going to be on at midnight. It was Self Pollution Radio. I don't think I would have made it through that week if it weren't for that.
  • I'm not a 12-stepper but these songs have helped me deal with an addict over the years:

Off He Goes
    All Those Yesterdays
    Save you
    Corduroy
    Hitchiker
    Down

......maybe I should just name all of Pearl Jam's songs... ;)
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
    When I got out of rehab in early 95, I went to this halfway house that I really hated. The second night I was there, I turned on the radio and heard that a Pearl Jam special was going to be on at midnight. It was Self Pollution Radio. I don't think I would have made it through that week if it weren't for that.

in '94? went through a detox in st. pete.wasn't supposed to be any type of media contact(newspaper,tv,radio).Place was a combo center-detox longterm treatment and a halfway house.Someone left a radio on in the halfway part and thats when I first Heard "no excuses"-AIC. Boy did that really hit home.'94 is light years from my Sob. date.However i seemed to carry that concept with me during all those "experience gathering" years, along with a TON of other stuff that made my soul cry out for help.

Great posts!

This is my favorite thread...

Personally, I found my first year sober to be very challenging...

I didn't drink, went to meetings..
    but was pretty much a "rage-aholic"... mad at everyone..

I could find something wrong with a rainbow..

No pink cloud for me!

But Like you posted earlier, I finally learned to "put down the stick"..

I came to realize that much of the anger was the absence of the booze in my system after 30 years of drinking...

It takes time..but I'll say this..

I don't have another recovery in me.. I'm sticking with this one thank you..

I've heard about stories of people going back out and its ALWAYS bad..

Its easier to STAY sober than to GET SOBER..

If you want what we have.. do what we do..

I believe in miracles..

I believe in a better world for me and you..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    Great posts!

This is my favorite thread...

Personally, I found my first year sober to be very challenging...

I didn't drink, went to meetings..
    but was pretty much a "rage-aholic"... mad at everyone..

I could find something wrong with a rainbow..

No pink cloud for me!

But Like you posted earlier, I finally learned to "put down the stick"..

I came to realize that much of the anger was the absence of the booze in my system after 30 years of drinking...

It takes time..but I'll say this..

I don't have another recovery in me.. I'm sticking with this one thank you..

I've heard about stories of people going back out and its ALWAYS bad..

Its easier to STAY sober than to GET SOBER..

If you want what we have.. do what we do..

I believe in miracles..

I believe in a better world for me and you..

I know I have a resumption left in me but what i don't know is if i would have the courage to come back in.so i won't be testing that theory anytime soon.

Heard at my groups last anniversary that the "program" is the easier softer way

Fully believe in once you get here STAY HERE!

• potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    when i was 17 i got sentenced to rehab for 45 days for pot. the centers music policy was only on sunday nights and you had to compramise with ur roomate. anyway, about three weeks into it treatment was going terrable in everyway. For one reason or another i had to take a car ride to somewhere. It was then, just when things seemed hopeless, that i heard a pearl jam song on the radio, i got id. The next 3 weeks didnt seem so bad.

I guess what im saying is, PJ makes theraputic music. no matter what youre dealing with, listening to it always seems to help
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
    I"ll share another upside to being a sober PJ maniac..

Ed's pre-sets..
    when I was using I would NEVER think of going into a venue early to check out ED..not when I have my own supply of booze to obliterate myself before the show...
    fast forward to 2006 and I convince my non-sober friend to go in early for both Boston shows..

sure enough.. night #2 Ed comes out to play "Porch" solo accoustic to only about 200 of us at the Boston Garden..

now its 2008 and I did the same thing for Hartford and both Mansfield shows..
    No more obsession to consume as much booze as I can before a show..

and sure enough as Ed would say to me and 500 other people at Mansfield first night "Come early and you shall be rewarded"...after he launched into THE BEST performance of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" i have ever heard ..

You shall be rewarded...indeed!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    bump
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    I"ll share another upside to being a sober PJ maniac..

Ed's pre-sets..
    when I was using I would NEVER think of going into a venue early to check out ED..not when I have my own supply of booze to obliterate myself before the show...
    fast forward to 2006 and I convince my non-sober friend to go in early for both Boston shows..

sure enough.. night #2 Ed comes out to play "Porch" solo accoustic to only about 200 of us at the Boston Garden..

now its 2008 and I did the same thing for Hartford and both Mansfield shows..
    No more obsession to consume as much booze as I can before a show..

and sure enough as Ed would say to me and 500 other people at Mansfield first night "Come early and you shall be rewarded"...after he launched into THE BEST performance of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" i have ever heard ..

You shall be rewarded...indeed!

the flipside of this is a couple shows i went to. i was at state college in 03... phenomenal show, but i was so piss wasted i made an ass of myself and can't remember a whole lot of it. the week before in cleveland i dropped TWO lit cigarettes on the dude in front of me because i was too fucking bombed to hold them. and at toledo in 04, neil young and peter frampton jammed with the band. i have no memory of being there. i was blacked out. the next night wasn't much better.
    catch22 wrote:
    the flipside of this is a couple shows i went to. i was at state college in 03... phenomenal show, but i was so piss wasted i made an ass of myself and can't remember a whole lot of it. the week before in cleveland i dropped TWO lit cigarettes on the dude in front of me because i was too fucking bombed to hold them. and at toledo in 04, neil young and peter frampton jammed with the band. i have no memory of being there. i was blacked out. the next night wasn't much better.

been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    bump for friday>>>>>

if you have a good excuse.. don't use it..

just show up!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    edited February 2009
    Post edited by PJ_Lukin on
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    I did 1 step. I quit almost 18 years ago. 17 years and 10 months but who is counting? Not a drop since. Life improved immediately, I mean immediately, like the next day. I have been tempted, tried, stressed, pushed, and challenged but have been able to stay away for the day. But for today, I am free.
    Good for you, however some of us require more than just stopping. I know I was able to stop for periods of time but ALWAYS started again.One of the things Iv'e learned through 12 steps is how to not start again.Also taught me how to LIVE as "normal" people do.Seems like I missed that day in school where they taught how to take life as it comes.Might have been cutting that day getting F'd up!

Holiday weekend now as ever we must fight the beast

mickeyrat wrote:
    Good for you, however some of us require more than just stopping. I know I was able to stop for periods of time but ALWAYS started again.One of the things Iv'e learned through 12 steps is how to not start again.Also taught me how to LIVE as "normal" people do.Seems like I missed that day in school where they taught how to take life as it comes.Might have been cutting that day getting F'd up!

good stuff..
    Personally, I feel like AA has fixed more of my character defects than my just my obsession with alcohol..

Rage-o-holic, ego-maniac sociopath to name a few..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    good stuff..
    Personally, I feel like AA has fixed more of my character defects than my just my obsession with alcohol..

cool , for me it's turned them down a few notches not quite fixed .still a good thing but I have a ways to go yet.

locked wrote:
    good stuff..

that's the case for me. i've been white-kuckling it through some dryness lately, getting back into the rooms tonight. i've definitely got way more wrong with me than just the drink. i wish i was one of those who could just stop and see things improve, but for me the problem wasn't what drinking did to my life, it was what my thinking was like that drove me to drink. drinking was my answer, not the problem itself. that's not the case for some i suppose.
    catch22 wrote:
    that's the case for me. i've been white-kuckling it through some dryness lately, getting back into the rooms tonight. i've definitely got way more wrong with me than just the drink. i wish i was one of those who could just stop and see things improve, but for me the problem wasn't what drinking did to my life, it was what my thinking was like that drove me to drink. drinking was my answer, not the problem itself. that's not the case for some i suppose.

True , the books says drinking was but a symptom of our problem.and being jusy dry is a bitch.days just drag on and on and on and NOBODY does what I want them to.Fuckers didn't you get the memo !!!!

starting to think i need a pj 12 step program. this could get dangerous.

more food for thought..

I may not be much but I'm all I think about...

Anger is just one letter away from Danger..

Meeting makers make it..

A problem shared is a problem cut in half.

Open your mouth and save your life..

You have to show up for your own recovery..

AA..

It works
    so work it
    because you're worth it..

Life comes from within your heart and desire...

Its an inside job.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    just remember, its progress not perfection..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    mickeyrat wrote:
    starting to think i need a pj 12 step program. this could get dangerous.

don't become a poster person ;)

those people scare me more than any alcoholic i ever met!