How would you like to watch a PJ concert?

ArjunArjun Posts: 4
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
You've been to several Pearl Jam concerts. A few in your backyard. You've travelled long for a few. You've taken to the skies for some. You've seen some live on television. You've seen recordings shown on television. You buy the DVD's.

How would you like to watch a PJ concert? I don't think I'll ever get to watch them live anywhere in India, since they're likely to run into a little trouble with the virtual moral police (they censored Savage Garden's concert with a 'Submission Of Lyrics' office, then laid out rules on how to behave!) because of their lyrics here and there. Even if they adjust, high entertainment taxes as well as organising issues may come in the way. Already the Black Eyed Peas cancelled their Indian leg because of attacks that ripped apart a suburban railway line in Mumbai, so Pearl Jam are a lot less likely to turn up.

I'm a student without a salary, so I can't afford air travel or hotel accommodation, let alone both, plus taxi fares and tickets. Even if I got to see them perform, I'd end up somewhere in the back rows, which are a dangerous place in a rock concert– you might just get moshed! The more wealthy get into the safer front row, only to have their ears blasted out! The so-called live feeling is there when you're at the concert, but the kickbacks are severe, and you're still very distant from the band. You have to be very lucky to get up, close and personal to your heroes.

That 'live' feeling is missing on television, but you can see the band a lot better, and still enjoy the music without getting roughed up. The recording that's played back is not live as live, but you can watch them perform when you want them to. Besides, Pearl Jam are one of the best bands to hear live, so it shouldn't matter how you watch 'em perform, so choose what's most convenient. What about you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    You won't have to worry about getting roughed up at most Pearl Jam shows. Maybe the minimal amount of GA shows, but if stay away from the stage you'll be alright. I've seen enough live shows now that DVD's are pretty boring. It's just not the same. But if I hadn't seen them a lot, DVD's would definitely fill the fix.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    ... I am gratified to hear India rocks (or at least, WANTS to rock). I had suspected as much, but haven't seen much product of rock! Of course I think you can find fans of rock and roll all around the world. I think that's awesome.

And of course saddened by the conditions that make it hard for you to rock! No fun....

I have been working on forming a global view of the world with regards to their ability to rock. England, U.S., Canada, Germany, Russia, Italy, lots of nordic countries (uh, Roadburn Festival! Whoa!), Australia, Japan -- from blues to death metal, rock is alive and kicking! I've read of kids scraping together bands in Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia ... China is an up and coming rock-n-roller! Just awesome.

And of course ... who doesn't rock? What's with 'em? Has France done ANYTHING for Rock n Roll besides provide a grave for Jim Morrison?

Forget about no two democracies have ever gone to war (Israel/Lebanon) or no two countries with McDonalds (Think Iraq had McD's? vs Kuwait?) I think there's a global truth here in the voice of Rock and Roll.

Tell us more about the Rock Scene in India!

Just Rock and Roll all night ... and PART of every day!
    (And yeah, I'd get as freakin close to the stage as possible, FEEL the music!)
    [sic] happens
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I would like to watch as close as I can, wherever I can as long as I'm in the building.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    I think the best way to enjoy the music of Pearl Jam when you cant be at the real thing is simply lose yourself in it.

By cranking the volume, shutting your eyes and feeling the music in your heart and soul is a cure to my non tour years blues.

"For the music is your special friend
    Dance on fire as it intends
    Music is your only friend"
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    front row center- any venue in the world.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    front row center- any venue in the world.
    ...or at the GORGE! :)
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    thatgirl wrote:
    ...or at the GORGE! :)

Since when is the Gorge not a venue in the world?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • aqua amesaqua ames Seattle Posts: 94
    For some reason Dr Seuss Green Eggs and Ham popped into my head when I started to read this thread...

in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat
    2000: Seattle I & II
    2003: Fargo, St Paul, Santa Barbara
    2005: The Gorge & Thunder Bay
    2006: Chicago I & II, St Paul I & II, Portland, The Gorge I & II,
    Honolulu
    2009: Seattle I & II, Portland
    2011: Vancouver B.C.
    2013: Wrigley Field Chicago & Seattle
    2014: St. Paul
  • Id like to see them perform on the moon.. imagine how high they could jump. Pearl Jam - the first concert in space. Its going to happen.
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    In my backyard would do just fine!

Got a pool, an ocean view, beer on tap, a grill for the hungry....

Pearl Jam...gimme a call...
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • mistymisty Posts: 57
    Yeah, I thing my living room would do... a concert just for me and then we would hang out together afterwards :)
    Why do I keep fuckin' up?

Sure makes me appreciate where I live though..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • ArjunArjun Posts: 4
    acutejam wrote:
    ... I am gratified to hear India rocks (or at least, WANTS to rock). I had suspected as much, but haven't seen much product of rock! Of course I think you can find fans of rock and roll all around the world. I think that's awesome.

And of course saddened by the conditions that make it hard for you to rock! No fun....
    Tell us more about the Rock Scene in India!
    Well, Indian rock fans enjoyed it in the 80's and 90's, despite tapes turning up later in India than elsewhere. We hardly got exposed to international music, until MTV and V came to India. Sadly, both channels have become Indianised and very run-of-the-mill. Luckily, VH1 is here, so it will pleae rock fans a lot.

We've had our problems here, ranging from moral police (although I do think a little moral policing is needed to make the concerts safer) to taxes and open space. We have our annual event known as I-Rock in Mumbai, but with a prominent open-air theatre closed down, that was in danger of closing down for good. It's relocated, but it seems to be a pale shadow of its former self. We've had other shows as well, not as big, but at least they're on television.

The Mumbai rock scene is the most varied and receptive, and maybe a little less in Delhi. Other places are fully into classic rock, be it Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and even awful glam bands like GnR. Here in Mumbai, everything plays– calssic rock, metal, thrash metal, death metal, techno-metal, rapcore, grunge, nu-metal, and the audiences in rock festivals are quite rough. If this is the scene in India, despite the so-called culture code, it's hard to imagine how it may be elsewhere.

Mumbai often suffers from high entertainment taxes. Because of them, a lot of our favourite bands have been going to other venues such as Bangalore and Delhi. Deep Purple first came here in the early 2000's, but chose Bangalore instead of Mumbai, though they came to Mumbai later on. Likewise Tull and Scorpions, who never came here. Instead, we have had pop art nonsense by Bryan Adams, Enrique and Ronana Keating, then Blue. They tried to get Jennifer Lopez repeatedly, and without success. Even the Black Eyed Peas were likely to come.

We were let down once by Def Leppard. We didn't know what happened in this hotel in Mumbai, but it opened up in Delhi. The song 'Let's Get Rocked' was playing, and then we heard what sounded like a skipping CD! They were lip-synching all along! That's often left fans and organisers asking, why get these big bands who just pretend when local acts actually do perform? Well, you don't expect Pearl Jam to lip-synch, do you?
    I have been working on forming a global view of the world with regards to their ability to rock. England, U.S., Canada, Germany, Russia, Italy, lots of nordic countries (uh, Roadburn Festival! Whoa!), Australia, Japan -- from blues to death metal, rock is alive and kicking! I've read of kids scraping together bands in Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia ... China is an up and coming rock-n-roller! Just awesome.

And of course ... who doesn't rock? What's with 'em? Has France done ANYTHING for Rock n Roll besides provide a grave for Jim Morrison?
    Now that's an interesting project. Well, France seems more of a hip-hop nation than a pillar of rock. They've got more hip-hoppers than any other European country, and even a few bubblegum pop artists, but no rock bands! That said, there's one band which I like more than the others, which uses celtic tunes.
    Just Rock and Roll all night ... and PART of every day!
    (And yeah, I'd get as freakin close to the stage as possible, FEEL the music!)
    And get your ears blasted out with a headache packaged? I've got second thoughts about that. The one highlight about a live concert is meeting the band in person, if you're lucky.
  • ArjunArjun Posts: 4
    krobbinz wrote:
    I think the best way to enjoy the music of Pearl Jam when you cant be at the real thing is simply lose yourself in it.

By cranking the volume, shutting your eyes and feeling the music in your heart and soul is a cure to my non tour years blues.

"For the music is your special friend
    Dance on fire as it intends
    Music is your only friend"
    how are the audiences at concerts? That's often been an issue, and it came up in one event in Roskilde, Denmark, where there actually were casualties in the area. The 'lose yourself' part sounds a little scary. Well, if we all had some money at hand, we could afford better places in a concert. Anyway, I'd still prefer to be on the other side of the stage, doing concerts rather than going for them. Once I'm ready for stage.....
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Arjun wrote:
    how are the audiences at concerts? That's often been an issue, and it came up in one event in Roskilde, Denmark, where there actually were casualties in the area. The 'lose yourself' part sounds a little scary. Well, if we all had some money at hand, we could afford better places in a concert. Anyway, I'd still prefer to be on the other side of the stage, doing concerts rather than going for them. Once I'm ready for stage.....

I think that your perception of audiences at concerts may be skewed through the press and their knack for blowing things out of proportion. I have never been to a General seating concert but as for presteating they have been a great experience.

There is nothing like being in the crowd with 20,000 people that have the same intrest as you singing along.

I love concert going and it certianly isnt what the press makes it out to be!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    standing in shit, up to my neck, drinking coffee.
  • AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    yosi wrote:
    Since when is the Gorge not a venue in the world?
    Because the Gorge is out of this world! :D
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    outdoor & in a small venue/bar (showbox)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    I would like to see them in Slovenia, outdoors. The nature here fits PJ's music perfectly.

Suggestion number one:
    http://www.creativ.si/wts/show/slike/pos_jama.jpg
    It's a cave, we have many, but this one has a concert hall. I think they will have to play acoustic here because of the animals, or maybe not.

Suggestion number two:
    http://www.creativ.si/wts/show/slike/Piran1.jpg
    http://piran97.literal.si/eng/ob_srecanju/piran/img/piran5-tartini-small.jpg
    http://stutzfamily.com/TravPix/Slovenia/familyvisit/sloveniasquare.jpg
    It's a second oldest town in Slovenia (Piran), a seaside town. It has a great square to perform on it.

Suggestion numer three:
    http://www.burger.si/Bled/AeroSlikaBled_01.jpg
    http://www.friendlyplanet.com/images/lake-bled-slovenia.jpg

It's a lake in Slovenia, they could play on this small island in the middle. From it, it is a great view on the mountains.

There are many many other spots to play on, but now I'm in a hury :)
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.