Options

*** Denver II Fanviews 7/3 Here ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    To SlightofJeff

I am familiar with the discography and the fact that Long Road is not "new". I was merely pointing out that the front end of most of their sets (the first 5 songs or so) have been very heavy on new material (including Denver, excluding Long Road).
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    They came onstage just after 7:30 and my watch said 8:35 when they left BEFORE the encore...which was not very long.

The SET was 60 minutes. The encore, perhaps, fifteen.

Once again, my beef is not really with PJ, but with the fact that I don't think that I will ever want to see them playing the first slot.

The crowd totally sucked. People were seat-sticklers in the middle floor section (not all the way up front) when there were empty seats around me for extended periods. I guess people turn into assholes when tickets are $90 + fees. People were giving me shit for friends of mine (who had front ten rows floor seats) sitting in empty seats next to me chatting during setbreak. Don't worry lady, and dudes, they'll be gone when the set starts because their seats are BETTER THAN YOURS. Taboot, security in the Pepsi Center has become Draconian. It was a major effort to roast a bowl during this show because of a) uptight security, b) people sitting down during the set, and c) nobody else puffing around me. Seriously, I was the only person lighting up during the Bob Dylan encore screaming "EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED!"

I guess I am just agreeing with Diamond and "RITFWinCO" in my assessment that this show was lackluster and poorly managed in the setlist department. I really just think that a band should give the crowd what they want to hear whether their set (+encore) is 75 minutes or 2.5 hours. The new tunes and rarities from the more recent albums don't do much to engage a crowd that came to hear some songs they are familiar with. Not saying that they should come out and play 10 and vs. all night, but I think a better balance could have been struck...seriously, I was *bored* until Betterman (ain't that weird!)

Next time, they'll play Red Rocks on their own and kick some serious ass!

::ends rant::

sounds like you just had some losers sitting around you is all.

Folks in our section (sidestage, on Mike's stage) were going fairly nuts.

I guess my point is, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen ... but I really have no complaints. I feel I got my money's worth. I really don't understand your setlist gripe (you wanted less new songs and more standards? black, betterman, even flow and SOLAT weren't enough?).

I guess I'm sorry you had a bad time and that nobody else would smoke dope with you and it ruined your night.

EDIT: And I wouldn't hold out hope on Red Rocks, though that would be super sweet. Didn't they vow to never play there again after some ticket controversy in '95?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I was extremely disappointed to see PJ play barely a 60 minute set at a show where they were billed as a "co-headliner". They most certainly did not get equal stage time with Petty (who schooled them IMO). It is PJ that learned a lesson this night, not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I am not trying to troll or harsh anybody's buzz, but the 7/3 Denver set pales in comparison to anything else I've heard from this tour. This show was a far cry from the full PARAGRAPH of songs plus 2 4/5 song encores that have comprised most of the shows on this tour.

The song selection was fairly terrible. I can understand opening nearly every set with ~5 new songs when you have an entire show to kill, but doing this when you have a one-hour slot equals a snore-fest. Don't get me wrong, the band played well and sounded good, but they never really engaged the crowd...

On that note, this was possibly the lamest crowd I've ever been a part of. I had floor seats in the middle of the fray and most people were either sitting down or standing still.

Sorry for such a negative review, but I can only take so much undeserved pole-polishing of a set that was, in one word, lackluster.

Hey, at least I go my Leash.

::Flame Away::

(Ms. Pearl Jam here:)

Well, being invited to flame kind of takes the wind out of my sails...

dancolostate, we're referring to the Denver, Colorado show...

Damnit, man! PJ whipped our asses. It was beyond any expectation, and just surreal. If you didn't walk away from this show, full of that same wonder and amazement that you had after riding "It's A Small World Afterall" at DisneyWorld as a kid, maybe you should have been sitting with us.

No, wait...Nevermind.

Mr. Pearl Jam, yes, I've got your pw and your pgp key. And, your smartass remark about your date for this event has not gone unnoticed. Nobody really cares, but if they did, they'd know you were teasing. The KB and the killer tickets aside, you know I'm the only one willing to sign you out for a day pass.

Next time, you and dancolostate must sit together.

Someone said earlier that Tom Petty must have been embarrassed. I'm sorry...for what, exactly? After PJ rocked, I admit I did remark that TP must be feeling a little intimidated about coming on...the "hard act to follow" thing. However, I was most pleasantly surprised, and quickly reminded why TP has managed to be legendary for three decades.

This was never a competition. These bands have very different flavors, and both were very good. And, what a rare treat to have them both on the same night.

I know this was a "co-headliner" show, but the fact remains that PJ opened. I believe this indicates some reverence for TP and the HB's, and their accomplishments. Also, PJ knew they could open, fully confident that this would never put them in the backseat. And, in spite of the differences in flavor, EV and TP together were incredible....memorable...auspicious...highly cool, even.
  • Options
    Ms. Pearl Jam again -

While slowly typing out my reply, dancolostate, I see you posted again. And, we can agree on some things:

First, you are right: Not alot of smokage happening. Was glad we were holding the two hit wonder. (Not really, officer...that was Mr. Pearl Jam.)

Secondly, you are too right. Funny you should mention the Red Rocks thing. It wasn't twenty minutes ago that I said, "Damn, wouldn't PJ be awesome at Red Rocks." No doubt here.

Still, no regret that I got to see them at Pepsi Center. They sure made a believer out of me.

"One Head is Better Than Two."
    Did anybody else see the guy wearing that T-shirt at the show? Too funny.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I was extremely disappointed to see PJ play barely a 60 minute set at a show where they were billed as a "co-headliner". They most certainly did not get equal stage time with Petty (who schooled them IMO). It is PJ that learned a lesson this night, not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I am not trying to troll or harsh anybody's buzz, but the 7/3 Denver set pales in comparison to anything else I've heard from this tour. This show was a far cry from the full PARAGRAPH of songs plus 2 4/5 song encores that have comprised most of the shows on this tour.

The song selection was fairly terrible. I can understand opening nearly every set with ~5 new songs when you have an entire show to kill, but doing this when you have a one-hour slot equals a snore-fest. Don't get me wrong, the band played well and sounded good, but they never really engaged the crowd...

On that note, this was possibly the lamest crowd I've ever been a part of. I had floor seats in the middle of the fray and most people were either sitting down or standing still.

Sorry for such a negative review, but I can only take so much undeserved pole-polishing of a set that was, in one word, lackluster.

Hey, at least I go my Leash.

::Flame Away::

I said it already, but Denver was a disappointment for me as well. I also knew it would be a short set, but the crowd was a buzz-kill and this double-bill thing SUCKS. I LOVE the band, but I've gotten used to looking forward to seeing them. . . not another head-liner.
    No regrets, just my two-cents.

Vegas was a Great show for me.
  • Options
    crowbarcrowbar Posts: 2
    I can't believe all the whiny bitches posting here. I can understand the crowd being annoying if they're loud etc. but it's always possible to move, ask nicely to shut up or just get over it. I go to shows to hear live music and that's it. Shut your eyes and listen. Tune the b.s. out. It's a double-bill show. Did you not see Petty on the bill? It wasn't his looks that got him where he is. He's got a shitload of talent and god-like songwriting skillz. It was a priveledge to see both of these very talented bands together. I was just in front of the soundboard in 10c section and there was tons of dope smoking going on around us. Even the couple that looked like my parents in front of us were puffin. I had to pass on many a round there was so much. Not to mention everyone fully rocking out to both bands. Good energy spreads just like bad. It's always easy to blame someone else for your own hang ups.
    I've seen pj a bunch of times and the opener, Long Road, was one of the best I've ever heard them sound. I had chills and tears in my eyes the whole song. I think that Ed and PJ not upstaging Petty and the subtle way they deferred the stage and shared the show with him shows just how professional they are. It's certainly not a competition and they are beyond having to prove themselves. I was duly satisfied with the entire night of music. It all sounded fantastic and the numbers they did together were tasteful and sounded practiced unlike some sloppy collaborations I've seen in the past. I was glad they did the Dylan tune last. Nice surprise and fortunately not something cliche. I was a little apprehensive about not getting a full show, but that's where the gorge shows come in. I'm glad I didn't pass on this one though. It recharged my batteries all week. It's the only time I've ever spent that much for a concert and I have no regrets. Thanks PJ and TPHB. Rock On!
  • Options
    ::I already invited the flames::

Just expressing an opinion. Said opinion is the fact that I felt far from lifted by PJ's set. Did I have a bad time? No. I am just on-record saying that I feel that the set was lacking in the energy, length, and crowd engagment. I don't expect you all to agree with me. After all, opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one.

The reviews of this show have been overwhelming positive and pole-polishing. I felt obligated to comment that these feelings do not match mine.

Last I checked, this thread was titled "Denver II Fanviews 7/3 Here", not "Post Here if You Loved Denver 7/3".
  • Options
    DixieNDixieN Posts: 351
    Wow, Im sorry, but Night 2 was the same fucking show as Night 1, and I was disappointed. As were most people sitting near me on the floor. I love PJ more than most things in my life , but that was the first time I walked out of a PJ show, feeling hurt and a bit ripped off. And Dear Tom Petty, you are a legend, but your not Jesus ,chill with the Jesus lights on you walking around with your arms out like your the fucking Pope! that was half sickening. Side note, IMO, Pettys band blew Pearl Jam away on night 2. I mean, on a shortened set, there were alot of repeat songs that anyone who has seen Pearl Jam 8 + times or so didnt need to hear . Call me ungrateful , thats fine, but I feel a bit empty, in my spirit and wallet.
    Next time Ill save the 400$ and spend 80$ for one show, get a full 2 hour + show, and not get robbed.
    And dont bash me, Ive been a die hard fan since 92...so save it.

Well, I technically shouldn't be posting because I wasn't there on night 2, though I was there night 1. However, just reading the set lists, I have to say that there were a lot of similarities. And both nights' lists seemed to be more aimed at the casual fan + maybe capturing the hearts of Petty fans, which is not a bad thing. I guess I would like to have heard more off the new album than we did. I agree that if you've seen PJ a lot of times, you really didn't need to hear those songs two nights in a row for sure.

I didn't buy tickets for both nights for a variety of reasons, but one of them was that I was warned that Petty would probably play a nearly identical set both nights. I was also warned by several people that Petty plays a pretty mellow show these days. Knowing that Petty was going to be nearly the same as the night before, I'm surprised that PJ didn't really mix it up for the fans that were there. I did expect them to do it a lot more than they did.

However, in spite of all of the above, you Night 2 people did get some unique moments to write home about. It was still a very good show. And if the energy was even higher than Night 1, it had to be a monster in some ways because I find it hard to believe that PJ found even more juice than they had on Night 1. But, I more or less agree with you on what to do next time. I think that I really wanted to see an all-PJ show. Next time, I will go to an all-PJ night if I can, or if I can't, not go at all. I personally didn't feel robbed or anywhere near that...but I kind of felt like I do when I'm just getting going with something that's going to be excellent...and then there's that interruptus part that kind of comes along and quashes things. :)
  • Options
    Weird.

For being such a negative Nancy, I feel compelled to post a link to a sweet bt.etree.org compilation of PJ's live catalog (missing "Pearl Jam" it appears).

Enjoy everything they've ever played...

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=20729
  • Options
    WastedteenWastedteen Posts: 17
    This night was a little shorter in length and probably not as fiery as night 1. Evenflow was however especially good. Long Road was good as the opener plus Severed Hand/Not for You made a good combo. Like I said, I wish that both Denver shows could have been full length and more Jam centered but Petty was still great. For me the highlight was seeing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Pearl Jam playing Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women" at the end. Maybe not the best song to end a show on, but a moment frozen in time it was.

Come back to Denver! I'll be there, come back!