Options

~straight Edge Thread (for Sober People Who Rockkkk!)~

2»

Comments

• Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I'm a 20 year old college student so drinking is generally a hobby of mine. The first night at Camden I, I was pretty stewed before i even went in. I had an awesome time at the concert, but after hearing the bootleg, i realized how much i forgot about, like the version of porch, and i didn't even realize the next day that they played leash.

The second night, i decided to drink a couple bottles of red wine in the lot in tribute to Eddie. The second night was equally as fun, but i remember so much more from not drinking as much, which made it better the next day cuz i could actually talk about how great it was and why.

From now on, any Pearl Jam concert i attend, i will not get nearly as drunk as i did the first night, but i think a bottle of red wine would be just enough to really loosen me up and get in the mood. There are several concerts such as DMB and whatnot where I like the band a lot and am there more for the party, but Pearl Jam is like a religion to me...

and i'll no longer indulge too much before i go to church (aka the venue)
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    straightedger right here. Never done drugs, never smoked, never drank alcohol.
    that sucks
  • Options
    I too stay straight for the shows. My best friend (who I go to every show with) is also in recovery. It makes for an easy excuse not to drink, since I just get sick anyway and that ruins the show....
    and dont be fooled by the name!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    jjmofo wrote:
    Straight edge is for people who can't get laid.

or for people who take kids to shows and need to remain a good example to their offspring
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    jjmofo wrote:
    Straight edge is for people who can't get laid.

This makes absolutely no sense at all... I was straight edge until I was 19, i'm now 23. During the time I was straight edge I got laid plenty of times... yup... that's right... plenty. Sometimes I would even listen to Pearl Jam and get laid. I decided to break edge because I felt it was time. I'm a huge fan of alcohol... but i'm very responsible with it... I've never been drunk for a PJ show... could never ruin it like that I want to soak everything in and remember it all... I've had 2-3 beers before a show sure... but thats not enough to get me drunk. I still have a lot of friends who are straight edge and I respect them for it... and they still get laid a lot.
  • Options
    This makes absolutely no sense at all... I was straight edge until I was 19, i'm now 23. During the time I was straight edge I got laid plenty of times... yup... that's right... plenty. Sometimes I would even listen to Pearl Jam and get laid. I decided to break edge because I felt it was time. I'm a huge fan of alcohol... but i'm very responsible with it... I've never been drunk for a PJ show... could never ruin it like that I want to soak everything in and remember it all... I've had 2-3 beers before a show sure... but thats not enough to get me drunk. I still have a lot of friends who are straight edge and I respect them for it... and they still get laid a lot.

You right brother you right! YEAHHHHHHHH
    "I'm OPEN...

6/25/04 MSG,NYC
    10/3/05 Philly,PA
    5/13/06 Hartford, CT
    5/28/06 Camden,NJ

myspace.com/poofgoody
  • Options
    peachykeenpeachykeen NY Posts: 108
    I don't drink or smoke before i go to any concerts unless its a band i'm not really into, but for all my pj shows i've been as sober as they come... yeye we rock, i guess it helps too when your tiny and a large 400 lb 6'5 man is dancing and falling all over the place next to you you can react alot more sane also! =)
    <3 dee
    *If I had known then what I know now*

199xxx
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    I don't drink for various reasons, especially at shows. I don't want to be one of these guys that wastes time going back and forth for beers and then struggling to climb up the stairs in the arena because it's dark and then spilling the beer i just spent eight bucks for. I saw too much of this at the meadowlands on Saturday night during the set.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    straight-edge here too! I don't drink during concerts, especially, because I want to remember every detail. There are so many great concerts I've been to and I'm glad I was sober because I can still remember all the best moments!
    Do you see the way that tree bends?
    Does it inspire?
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays
    A lesson to be applied
    Lollapalooza 8.5.07
    Gorge 7.22.06, 7.23.06
    Summerfest 6.29.06, 6.30.06
  • Options
    trebmaltrebmal Boston Posts: 102

Same here! Plus I love latin american politics, cool name che :P

I don't drink/smoke cause of an addictive personality definitely just get natural adrenaline high's at PJ shows!
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • Options
    GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    Im pretty much stone cold sober for concerts.

How about the people who go to these shows but keep an eye out on the 9:30 cut-off for the beer, and do like 3 beer runs/bathroom breaks during the first half hour alone? Plus one of the shows (NJ-1), I sat next to someone who was passed out drunk, slept through half the show? So stupid if you ask me.
  • Options
    GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 112
    Nice thread here...for the minority.

I don't drink or do drugs anymore either. Haven't touch anything in about 9 years. Not that I was an addict or anything, but sometimes in life you can kind of catch a glimpse of your future...I didn't like what I saw. Some people still say that I should just do things in moderation, little do they know that moderation is a foreign concept to me.

I've been sober for every PJ show I've ever been to...I think. I might have smoked when I first saw them in '96. I can't really remember...It's good to see that there is a decent number of people who can still enjoy the show sober.

I do still smoke cigarettes, but do any of you feel like the sober lifestyle kind of ostracizes you?
    All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

• Options
    SidetrackedSidetracked Posts: 113
    GhostBoy wrote:

I do still smoke cigarettes, but do any of you feel like the sober lifestyle kind of ostracizes you?
    Up here in canada, smoking cigarettes ostracizes you. Although I find all us smokers tend to be very social with each other aswe're outside freezing our asses off for our addiction.
    As to drinking at a Pearl Jam concert, I've only had the pleasure of being to one and honestly never thought for a minute of wanting a beer, WATER YES!! ( after screaming myself hoarse), but not beer (until after).
    The poster who said you leave drunk on PJ was so right! :D
    done
  • Options
    NieraNiera Posts: 208
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    *rasies hand*

I always go to PJ shows sober...the way I leave is a different story of course. ;) I've never experienced anything like this! PJ honestly = the greatest fuckin drug on the planet. Greatest natural drunk/high. I definitely get looks like "omg what is she on".:rolleyes: haha. What do you think??? . They have "not a fuckin clue". :D \m/

I am EXACTLY on the same page, darlin'! {{{{{ VEDHEAD27 }}}}}}
    The ONLY thing that comes even close to seeing Pearl Jam live is sex.
    Really, really good sex.

I NEVER drink before or during a concert--and I don't do drugs (anymore) at all, and with ticket prices so high, I want to REMEMBER every minute!

And with Pearl Jam... soooo high on the MUSIC.. the energy...

Overheard at Camden 2, the row right behind me:
    "WOW! Where does she get all that energy!?"

Well, look up on the stage, fellas. It's no drug, just the band.. the music... I see the sound in waves... and I ride those waves wherever they will take me!

THANK -YOU-, Thanks Pearl Jam, for starting this thread!
    Can't wear my mask... your first, my last...
    **PROUD member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club**
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009

same here, and I don't need to. My first Pearl Jam concert(East Rutherford night 2) was amazing and I can listen to the boot and remember every bit of it and it reminds me of that natural high i get from pearl jam-its all just such amazing and, often uplifting, that i dont need some sort of substance to enhance my enjoyment of it.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I've been to 27 pearl jam show. i was under the influence of something for most of the first 22 of them. This year however, I went to 5 shows straight as a arrow.

I'm in a little trouble with the law, and i get tested several times a week for both drugs and booze. Every now and then, before the show, I kinda wishI could do a little something, but once the music starts, I don't think about it again. The show is every bit as good sober as stoned. It's ten times better sober than drunk.

Pearl Jam is good enough to not need to enhance the performance.

311, however, a so-so band, that I felt the need to have a few drinks, to make the show a little better awhile back. Thankfully, I got away with it.
    tacos