Randalls Island, New York shows from 1996

brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Just wondering if anyone can describe the two Randalls Island shows that went down in New York in 1996.
I never got a chance to go, and to help battle the regret I have please fill me in!

- Any photos?
- What was the stage like? (any cool backdrop, lighting, did they have any plants on the stage, etc.)
- How was their performance?
- How was the crowd?
- If you recall how did you hear about tickets..through newspaper? fanclub? etc?
- Are there any bootlegs on these shows?

Any info other than what two feet thick has would be cool to fill me in! Actually this thread might make me more regretful, but what the hell.. I have to know!
Big Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    That was the first Show I ever attended. I have the one Bootleg where they have to stop the show during Animal because someone was getting crushed up against the stage.
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    From
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=292043

Since you didnt go you can now listen to it (assuming you dont have it already). But would think this would answer a couple of your questions

Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York - September 29th 1996
    This 3 hour show is easily the best from the 1996 tour, with an amazing setlist, and amazing band and crowd energy, considering it was played through rain and mud. Touring on the back of 'No Code', it features 9 tracks from the album.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZK3TM94
    Set 1 Sometimes, Go, Spin The Black Circle, Hail Hail, Animal, Tremor Christ, Who You Are, Corduroy, Lukin, Better Man, Not For You, Jeremy, Once, Rats, Last Exit, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Whipping, I Got Id, Black, Alive, Porch
    Encore 1 In My Tree, Even Flow, Daughter/(The Real Me)/(Another Brick In The Wall)/(W.M.A.), Mankind, Long Road, Leaving Here
    Encore 2 Off He Goes, Present Tense, Yellow Ledbetter
  • NotoriousIMPNotoriousIMP Posts: 141
    Night 1 was my first ever PJ concert.
    Blew outta my brothers wedding reception to go to it.

I remember it being fucking crazy hot and humid. Until it poured.
    It was a GA show, so the pit was insane. The crowd was crazy. Im 6-3 and was having such a hard time. Which ever way the crowd swayed thats the way you moved.
    John Popper (blues Travellers) came out during evenflow.
    Eddie had to calm down the crowd a few times.
    Traffic leaving was a real bitch.
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    05' Montreal, Ottawa, Borgata II
    06' NJ I, II
    08' Camden II, MSG II, Hartford, Beacon NY, Ed Ved NYC I
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    NotoriousIMP...you putting me right there!
    And big up ballgame! that's a crazy ass thread. I get to listen!!!......... now the new quest is to find a photo, or video. I haven't tried youtube yet, but just a hunch that I won't get to far..
    thanks again all~
  • j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    I was 17 in September of 1996. I also had mono.

I don't remember how I knew to get tickets, but they went through some obscure ticket broker. All I know was that come hell or high water I was getting my tickets, dammit. This was before things were done online and before cell phones. You had to sit in an actual house and call a number over and over again until you got through. The tickets went on sale while I was at my grandparent's beach house. They have a couple phone lines there plus a fax line. So I basically recruited my mom and grandma and we all sat on different phones hitting redial for what seemed like forever. Eventually my grandma got through and I bought my four tickets for the first night.

The day of the show came and I was deathly ill. However, there was no way in hell I was going to miss my first Pearl Jam concert. Against my mom's advice and most people's better judgement, I went with three of my friends to the show. It was general admission and there were tons of vendors selling all sorts of things from t-shirts to gigantic turkey legs. It was hot as hell and just like that the sky opened up and it started to pour. Anyone who was there will testify that this was more then just a little rain.

I stood with my friends as Ben Harper finished an amazing set. By this time I completely forgot about the mono. I was running on pure adrenaline (and the fumes that go along with being seventeen). I was soaked but I was ready. I'll never forget that first time seeing the band walk on stage. It seemed surreal. Now, anyone who was a teenager in the 90's remembers what it was like trying to get Pearl Jam tickets. I think it may have been easier to get Superbowl tickets. So, to be standing there FINALLY seeing my favorite band (FINALLY!!!), it was amazing.

I was so sick the next day I didn't know what to do with myself and had to go to the emergency room.

It was so worth it :)

xo
    jenny
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275

It was a GA show, so the pit was insane. The crowd was crazy. Im 6-3 and was having such a hard time. Which ever way the crowd swayed thats the way you moved.

I was soaking wet. I think I bought a t-shirt in the parking lot and drove home in that and my underwear. Took us over 2 hours to get out of the parking lot. Best night for me cause it was my first live PJ show. I didn't care that it poured.
    I had my doc martins on and my feet were dry at least!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I was at night 1.

- Any photos? Nope, sorry

- What was the stage like? (any cool backdrop, lighting, did they have any plants on the stage, etc.)

I remember it being pretty simple. You could see the shadow from a tree on the backdrop, which blew around like hell when the rain hit. I think there was a mirror ball too.

- How was their performance? Just fantastic. Popper on Even Flow was a highlight as someone else mentioned.

- How was the crowd? Insane. We were lucky enough to be protected by a fence they had on the field. The pit was insane and they were rescuing folks up front left and right. Ed stopped one song to calm everyone down.

- If you recall how did you hear about tickets..through newspaper? fanclub? etc? Buddy got fan club tix.

- Are there any bootlegs on these shows? Yes, but it's poor quality. A clean copy of 9/28 is my Holy Grail.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Night one was my first show, and first time I had been in NYC area in about ten years. The venue was awesome. Open, outdoors, and old. It was incredibly hot and humid. Back then, I was 21 or so, so it wasn't as bad. The place was packed, but they did have free water, which was nice. In hindsight, I can't believe it was that hot that late in September.

The setlist was obviously already posted. I recall a lot of energy from the crowd and band. There was a lot of moshing, and I loved it. My then-girlfriend (now wife) heaved me into the undulating mass of people, and I threw elbows as best I could. No one wanted to really hurt anyone, but it was pretty nuts. After a few songs, I bowed out. I think it was about the time Blood was played, and the strobe lights were on. I believe that was after the pouring rain, which was wonderful. It was really cool to see the steam rising off the crowd at that point. Side note - moshing at 32 is no fun (Camden night two this past tour). Things started to hurt that I didn't think could hurt. That was only after a minute.

The other thing I recall is the mirror ball reflecting purple and green lights all around the concrete bleachers. Really cool effect during Betterman.

Getting off that island was a huge pain in the ass. There's only maybe two roads on and off. It took about an hour to get on one of the busses, and we had no idea where the bus was taking us. We figured if we got off the island, we could find our way back to NJ from there. We ended up near Yankee Stadium, which apparently is not a good place to be at 1AM. Fortunately, we ran into some rave kids and they somehow pointed us in the right direction. The NY subway is an interesting place.

It was awesome, and probably will be the best show I've been to. In hindsight, I'm annoyed I didn't get tickets to night two when I had the chance.
    For Rent
  • I went to both shows and each are memorable for different reasons. Like most of us that were there it was our first PJ show. I was 18. Tickets went on sale a month before. It was announced on K-Rock 92.3 and they released a 1-800 number to call on a saturday morning at 10am. I remember I was working at some shitty deli and I had my friend keep my boss busy while I dialed the number in the back to get tickets. It was easier than I thought to get tickets. All my friends called the 1-800 number so we would make sure that at least one of us got tickets. I got through at 10:15am and bought 4. I called a friend up afterward and he got four. That happened again and again. We all thought the other guys wouldn't get through so 5 of us each had 4 tickets a piece.
    The ticket said 6pm; we got there at noon. The parking was just a big field and they lined up the cars row by row (show was over at 11:30 got out of the parking lot at 3:30. Many people can confirm that "getting out was a bitch"). We went into the show at six and the Fastbacks were opening. They received a luke warm reception at best. Then a band I never heard of at the time came on Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals. They were incredible. I still remember their cover of Get Up, Stand Up with Ben Harper holding up his right fist the entire song. They finished their set about 8. It was general admission and the crowd was jockeying for position the whole hour. It was hot, humid. Lights went down; crowd roared and they took the stage. They opened with Last Exit and the crowd went crazy. All I remember is getting tossed around. People getting pushed against the front barrier; the metal fence bending and breaking. It was a sea of people just swaying and pushing back and forth. Pits would open and then close quickly because there were just too many people. The band went from Hail, Hail, to Animal, to Spin the Black Circle. Remember this is the first show for probably 99% of us so when they rip into Animal the place erupted even more than it already was. You could see the dust rise and hover above the crowd and in true PJ fashion they just ripped through those first songs with no banter. The rain came somewhere around Cordoruy and cooled us off. All I remember after that from the first show is the "we belong together" at the end of Black, John Popper coming out for Even Flow, the W.M.A tag after Daughter and the beauty and calm after the choas when they closed with Indifference. At the time it struck me that after playing that hard and that long for a crowd being that crazy, they could just slow everything down and get thousands of people to relax and listen to Indifference.
    I remember the second show a little better. Ed came out and the band was sitting down. He said "we are play longer tonight than we have ever played and more songs than we have ever played." Of course the crowd goes crazy and they opened with Sometimes. A really nice version and a calm beginning.But then they rip into Go, Spin the Black Circle, Hail hail and Animal. The same thing happens as the night before; crowd goes insane. After Spin the Black Circle Ed comments to help your neihbor be careful, etc. buit after Animal Ed goes on a tirade and addresses the crowd specifically the front and says something like "You know there is an insane asylum not too far from here. Is that where you guys are from? Fucking relax. People are gonna get hurt. If someone gets hurt or worse here tonight I don't think we'll ever play live again" (I put quotes around it but I'm sure its no 100% verbatim). They then go into Tremor Christ presummably to calm the crowd down and then into Who You Are. There is not really much talk after that about relaxing, etc. The band was powerful and energetic all night. Better set list than night one and more energy; maybe they were more comfortable. I still remember the sequence of Once, Rats, Last exit, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Whipping, and I Got ID. Imagine that sequence today. God we were spoiled then. They ended the first set then like they do now; porch. It was an extremely jammed version with Ed duct taping his mouth and writing on his arm and giving his famous "you are somebody" speech.
    They began the second encore with In My Tree and Ed had the old place singing the tag A.B.I.T.W. Now we half expect to hear that tag but in '96 hearing PJ tag Floyd in NYC was pretty special. Kind of strange setlist if you look at it after daughter: Mankind and Long Road (and then Leaving Here to end). Lights came up, crowd was drained. But no one was leaving. After about 10 minutes the band came back on. Ed says "I had this vision that we would play and play and people would kind of leave as we played. That way you guys wouldn't have as much trouble getting out of the parking lot." I remember thinking how cool this guy was that he knew we had trouble getting out of the lot the night before. Wow, not only did he know that but he cares about it enough to address it. They then played Off he Goes. Ed comments. I guess my theory didn't work; you're all still here. They then play Present Tense and end with Ledbetter. Again, Ledbetter now expected, then a song not really that well known. We slowly walked back to the car without speaking and sat in traffic in the parking lot for four hours. Hoped this helped.

"Things were different then, I tried to explain somehow"
    paakjerjr wrote:
    Hoped this helped.

never imagined that I would get this great a response (from you and the other posters here. shouts to constructicon, nukeboot, Sprunkn7, j.ro ) but just goes to show you what amazingly cool fans PJ has. Very fitting that a great band has great fans!

And like you say how "we were spoiled back then"...yeah, I took them for granted thinking that I can always see them. years later.....and sorry but we simply cannot see them like you saw them (at their peak)! cherish it man. I saw them twice in '92 opening up for Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I'd trade both + seeing them at Jones Beach in '00 for the Randalls show (or any 95-96 show).
    j.ro wrote:
    gigantic turkey legs.

ha, ha. wtf?
  • yakko69yakko69 Posts: 131
    Whoa, it seems like this show was a first for many people. At 16 then, it too was my first show, and the first for my brother who is 3yrs older than me. It started a tradition, where we have gone to 29 shows together since that september day . It was an amazing show, Ben Harper was great, and I got my first PJ poster there. It still graces my wall in my apartment and I will never forget it, that the Randalls Island show got me absolutely hooked to Pearl Jam for life!
    ...44 shows...and counting....
  • I didn't go, but I heard from someone who was there that it was crazy. Stampedes, and such. he ended up finding a wall so he and especially his girlfriend at the time wouldn't have to worry about being knocked over from behind and be trampled. And he's a big, strong guy. One of the strongest people I've ever known. makes me very glad that they don't do general admission here
  • nukeboot wrote:
    . A clean copy of 9/28 is my Holy Grail.

Mine sounds fine.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Getting out was a trip.

We waited in the cold rain for the buses that were taking folks out, but got pushed out of line. Right about then the riot horses showed up and they wouldn't let my buddy and I get back in line, so we said fuck it and started walking out.

We found our way to the Yankee Stadium subway station like someone else mentioned. At least there was a group by then and we felt pretty safe waiting for the train.

It was well worth the hassle though.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    broloco wrote:
    ha, ha. wtf?

I'm not kidding!!! Everyone was walking around eating them. They looked like cavemen. It's amazing what you remember sometimes :)
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Greatest show ever! i was at night 2 and it rained it was hot the crowd was amazing and they played 38 songs for 5 hours!!! it was an amazing time and i remember it like it was yesterday...

eddie talked in between songs twice, some girl was getting killed in front and he told her to get out of there sweetie you ain't gonna make it! she was all fucked up, shirt torn up, muddy, wet. it was f'n great!
  • Greatest show ever! i was at night 2 and it rained it was hot the crowd was amazing and they played 38 songs for 5 hours!!! it was an amazing time and i remember it like it was yesterday...

eddie talked in between songs twice, some girl was getting killed in front and he told her to get out of there sweetie you ain't gonna make it! she was all fucked up, shirt torn up, muddy, wet. it was f'n great!

5 hours? How do i fit the bootleg easily onto 3 cd's then?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • 5 hours? How do i fit the bootleg easily onto 3 cd's then?

I don't know but at one point eddie comes on and say's "well i just checked and we are going on 4 and a half hours and we ain't done yet" they played a few more songs after that so it was about 5 hours give or take.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don't know but at one point eddie comes on and say's "well i just checked and we are going on 4 and a half hours and we ain't done yet" they played a few more songs after that so it was about 5 hours give or take.

Eddie was clear stoned out of his gourd. According to TFT.com, the entire show lasted 168 minutes, that is, 2 hours and 48 minutes.
  • joewilliejoewillie Posts: 26
    The 10C tix were also really cool for those shows...they had you name printed on them which would have made for a great keepsake, until the rain came.
    8/12/92 Waterloo; 4/6/94 Springfield; 9/28/96 NYC; 9/29/96 NYC;
    5/19/97 Mercury Lounge (Tuatara w/Mike; 6/8/97 Randells Island (Ed & Mike; 9/8/98 East Rutherford; 9/10/98 MSG; 9/11/98 MSG; 8/23/00 Jones Beach; 4/30/03 Nassau; 7/8/03 MSG; 5/31/06 The Avalon; 6/24/08 MSG; 8/5/08 United Palace (Ed); 5/20/10 MSG; 5/21/10 MSG
  • Eddie was clear stoned out of his gourd. According to TFT.com, the entire show lasted 168 minutes, that is, 2 hours and 48 minutes.

yeah that's possible, it seemed like 5 hours i can tell ya that!
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    great show.. still feel bad for the surfer who had to be thrown head first onto the floor ,,, he kicked me in the head and i had enough of him :)
  • joewilliejoewillie Posts: 26
    yeah that's possible, it seemed like 5 hours i can tell ya that!

it took about 5 hours to get into the venue...total cluster F
    8/12/92 Waterloo; 4/6/94 Springfield; 9/28/96 NYC; 9/29/96 NYC;
    5/19/97 Mercury Lounge (Tuatara w/Mike; 6/8/97 Randells Island (Ed & Mike; 9/8/98 East Rutherford; 9/10/98 MSG; 9/11/98 MSG; 8/23/00 Jones Beach; 4/30/03 Nassau; 7/8/03 MSG; 5/31/06 The Avalon; 6/24/08 MSG; 8/5/08 United Palace (Ed); 5/20/10 MSG; 5/21/10 MSG
  • joewillie wrote:
    it took about 5 hours to get into the venue...total cluster F

that i remember...took longer to get out..
    I have a good boot from night II. 3 cds and at the end of disc 3 has eddie playing with the Doors at the Rock N Roll HOF.
    Why isnt there a boot from night I???
    Or is there??????

and if so, how do i get one?????????
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    06' NJ I, II
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
    This should help from TFT.com

09/28/96 - Downing Stadium (Randall's Island): New York, NY [115m]
    attendance: 30,000
    support act: Ben Harper, The Fastbacks
    set: Last Exit, Hail Hail, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Red Mosquito, In My Tree, Lukin, Not for You, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Corduroy, Jeremy, Dissident, State of Love and Trust, Black, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Alive, Blood/(Noise of Carpet)
    enc 1: Who You Are, Even Flow, Daughter/I Believe in Miracles/WMA, Whipping, Leaving Here, Indifference
    notes: Despite the torrential downpour, Blues Traveler's John Popper jams with Mike during 'Even Flow.' (Ed gives John a big hug and a handshake at the end.) 'Whipping' is paused very briefly in the middle because someone seems to be hurt or fighting. Ed says, "Is that all?" and with a quick "1, 2, 3, 4," the song resumes right where they left off. Prior to 'Indifference," Ed comments on how it seems to him from letters the band gets, the things they read and people they've met, that lots of people are meeting each other through PJ's music. He adds, "To me, that's the best part of this whole thing and I'm honored to be a part of it." (so true ... and very cool to have it acknowledged)

09/29/96 - Downing Stadium (Randall's Island): New York, NY [168m]
    attendance: 30,000
    support act: Ben Harper, The Fastbacks
    set: Sometimes, Go, Spin the Black Circle, Hail Hail, Animal, Tremor Christ, Who You Are, Corduroy, Lukin, Better Man, Not for You, Jeremy (new), Once, Rats, Last Exit, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Whipping, I Got Shit, Black, Alive, Porch
    enc 1: In My Tree, Even Flow, Daughter/(The Real Me)/(ABitW)/(WMA), Mankind, Long Road, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Off He Goes, Present Tense, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: A nearly three-hour show with a raging pit. The band stops playing several times in an effort to get the crowd to settle down. During 'Porch,' Ed duct-tapes his *entire* body and jumps into the pit. (Thought we'd never see that again!) Just before the first encore, someone throws an "Eddie Vedder for President" t-shirt up on stage. Ed looks at it and says, "Well I'll tell you the truth ... I smoke pot! I didn't exhale though!" Stone asks for a chant of "Stone, Stone, Stone!" before singing 'Mankind.' During the encore, Mike starts playing 'Yellow Ledbetter' after 'Leaving Here,' Ed stops him and they go into 'Off He Goes' followed by 'Present Tense!' Incredible setlist.
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    06' NJ I, II
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    My first show as well, I waited at the gate for like 5+ hours waiting and when they opened the flood gates there was a mad rush (like full-on sprint) to the front...I sat there with some new-found friends and waited through Ben Harper (no Innocent Criminals back then) and I'll never forget Ed coming up the stairs behind the stage giving everyone in the front rows a wave, he was dressed in a black with sequins (I was sober) and they came on with Last Exit, which will be burned into my memory forever...we all got slammed around in the sea of the pit, and I ended up getting pulled out during SOLAT...and watched the rest of the show from side of the GA area...and yeah "it was a bitch getting out"

Night 2, I spent the whole show in GA, hanging with friends and I ended up burning my eyelash lighting 'something' (not sober Night 2) but amazing show, boot for Night 2 is C-, but Night 1 pretty decent, all in all, a life-changing event!
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Plus there was a tarp on the field that once it got wet and the crowd pushed, keeping your feet was a real challenge.

And the traffic was brutal.
    Had planned to drive back to Boston, made it as far as Hartford and got a hotel room there.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • NYLIPJNYLIPJ Posts: 36
    My First Show Too. It Was Unreal As Stated Above By Numerous People. Remember The Crazy Atmosphere, Ed Trying To Keep The Crowd At Bay , One Girl Was Getting Crushed In The Front And Had To Stop Playing Two Or Three Times To Make Sure She Was Ok. But The Set List Was Amazing Never See Something Like That Again. Little Rain Here And There From What I Remember. Was So Stoned That Show It Was Great. Just The Best Concert I Have Ever Been Too. It Was Like A Circus That Day, Everyone Was Just Hanging Out And Have A Great Time No Cares In The World Besides Pj Playing. I Was 18, Just Started My First Year At College, What A Way To Start Wish I Could Go Back And Relive That Day. Even Though It Took Hours To Get Out Of The Lot It Was The Best Parking Lot Jam, After That Concert It Did Not Seem To Matter That You Had To Wait.