Alcohol Sales

WhyGoHome?WhyGoHome? Posts: 4
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Just trying to clear something up here......I know we don't go to the shows for the alcohol....but some people expressed frustration on how quickly they stopped selling beer which was pretty much right after they started the first set. Some people told me that the venue decided when to stop and some people said that it was up to Pearl Jam. Anyone know the truth?
Cleveland '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pretty sure it's the venue. I hear what you are saying as you probably experienced that Bull$#!t at the UC in Chicago. I was at Northerly Island last weekend for the Crowes and they sold all the way till the end.
    192xxx
    6/26+27/98, 10/8/00 (IB), 6/21/03, 9/3+4/11 (PJ20) - East Troy
    6/29/98, 10/9/00, 6/18/03, 5/16+17/06, 8/23+24/09, 8/20+22/16, 8/18+20/18, *8/29+31/24 - Chicago
    6/6/03 - Las Vegas
    10/5/04, 9/18/22 - St. Louis
    6/29/06, 10/20/14 - Milwaukee
    11/19/13 - Phoenix
    4/26/16 - Lexington

• Pretty sure it's the venue. I hear what you are saying as you probably experienced that Bull$#!t at the UC in Chicago. I was at Northerly Island last weekend for the Crowes and they sold all the way till the end.

same deal in camden and e. rutherford and i don't remember it being THAT early. it was like 9:30 i think.

not sure whos decision it is, but they sell beer at sporting events up until the 4th quarter/3rd period/7th inning...leads me to believe it has something to do with maybe the promoter (maybe not the band though).
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    My PJ are doing it to put an end to 'To the guy who puked last night' threads that have appeared this tour.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • savannah66savannah66 Posts: 65
    I never seem to notice when sales end, because I don't leave my seat after the show starts. ;) I don't know about other venues; I remember signs posted in D.C that it was 9:30, I think, by venue rules. There were signs posted in Pittsburgh that it was flexible & up to the venue staff for concerts. Alcohol sales ended early in the 'Burgh (right after the band started), I understand, because a fan fell off a balcony.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    people were choked in camden on the first night thats for sure.

stopped at like 9:20. band went on at 9. there is not even a piss break song that early in the set never mind an alcohol break song.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Rule in Cincy was 30 minutes after PJ takes the stage
  • there is not even a piss break song that early in the set never mind an alcohol break song.

Is there such thing as a "break song" in a PJ concert?

:-)
    ~A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.~

• SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    Security in Cinci said it was a rule from the band. He said it was a big hit to profits that night for the arena.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • FalcorFalcor Posts: 11
    I was at Chicago and Camden, and was told at both places that the band asks for a 9:15 cutoff. I just bought a couple before PJ started so I would have some beer to sip on throughout.

But I am wondering what the rule is for the Petty/PJ shows as I am going tomorrow in Milwaukee. Can you still get beer in the break between PJ and Petty?

And no, I'm not a silly drunkard at shows, but do enjoy drinking within reason while the show is going on, hence my curiousity . . . .
    You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293
    9:30, and it's a PJ rule. It's been like that at every venue since the Canadian tour.
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Smitre wrote:
    Security in Cinci said it was a rule from the band. He said it was a big hit to profits that night for the arena.

I think there were even signs by the concession stands that said it was the band's decision.
  • roninhackroninhack Posts: 5
    The signs at summerfest last night were adamant about the beer sales ending at 11:45

cant wait for tomorrow.
    "So It's ok, do you want some more, I said YEAH
    You'll see Dragons after 3 or 4, I said YEAHHHHH"

Alpine 6/26/98 & 6/21/03 UnitedCenter 5/16/06 & 5/17/06 Grand Rapids *5/19/06 Milwaukee Summerfest *6/29/06 & *6/30/06
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272

Word.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621

Yes, its called last Kiss.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• AT St Paul PJ stopped around 9 or 930-huge break for Tom and we got many drinks still-even after tom set started we were buying drinks maybe 10 10-30 or so...dont remember exact time too drunk HA!
    "Got all these questions
    Dont know who I can even ask"
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I'll never understand why people don't bring their own party supplies to concerts. Cheaper, and you don't have to leave your seat. Granted, beer and wine would be tough to smuggle because they take up a lot of space (although it CAN be done), but liquor and any drug I can think of are a piece of cake to get in.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I wonder what time they will cut off beer sales in Santa Barbara since they go on earlier. what about the Gorge? no balcony to fall off from there.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    mole1985 wrote:
    My PJ are doing it to put an end to 'To the guy who puked last night' threads that have appeared this tour.

Man, who would want to stop those threads? That is some of the funniest material I have ever seen.