Options

The Hartford Crowd

Comments

• Options
    colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    thatgirl wrote:
    i think the people in front of us actually said that they got the tickets from their boss at work, who they were sitting next to, im thinking they were also season ticket holders.

ps-the venue sucks balls. middle of nowhere. it would have sucked even more if we have to walk across that highway in the rain. hartford overall sucks.

The couple in front of us were funny, especially when she was drunk and trying to explain to us how she was taking cell phone pictures for her 15 year old son.

The guy next to me offered me pot during Severed Hand. That came out of nowhere.
  • Options
    rival420rival420 Massachusetts Posts: 58
    My brother and I were probably one set of guys you're talking about. (I had a Boston hat on.) It was his 14th show and my 13th, and we like to get down, jump around, clap and have a good time. Some people in that section we're pretty lame (like the hefty chick who tried to pull a George Foreman on me cause she thought we stole her seats. One of the funniest moments ever) but overall it was a good time. Looking forward to Boston!!

That's funny, you were the guy with the Boston hat on, cause I had a Boston hat on too along with thousand of others!

Hartford is the only place where Sox fans and Yankees fans can live side by side.

Any hoo, I was in the lawn dead center and by the end of the show almost everyone that was in front of me had moved, which made it better to see.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My brother and I were probably one set of guys you're talking about. (I had a Boston hat on.) It was his 14th show and my 13th, and we like to get down, jump around, clap and have a good time. Some people in that section we're pretty lame (like the hefty chick who tried to pull a George Foreman on me cause she thought we stole her seats. One of the funniest moments ever) but overall it was a good time. Looking forward to Boston!!

lol - I think I saw that - its amazing what people will try to do. We had a guy in Albany just go into our row (we were on the floor) and just stand directly in front of us, then the guy next to us kind of urged him to beat it, and he tried it again on the next row. You guys were great - I love it.
    I think I met you in the elevator at the Hilton... my boyfriend was the guy that couldn't figure out the parking garagae, LOL!! :)

I saw you jumping up and down and having a great time at the show... I was doing the same thing 2 rows behind you! :D Overall, I think our section was rocking out, seemed to me like is was all 10 clubbers around. But the energy of the crowd overall was not like I had seen at other shows, that's for sure. But, I don't let that hinder my experience!! :)

Hi!!!!!! Our section rocked didn't it!! lol the parking garage was a little confusing. Did you guys walk back from the show? We were going to try to walk with you but I think you'd already gotten out - it was crazy getting out.

Even if the crowd wasn't that energetic, section 800 was.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221

HAHA I saw the hefty chick
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • Options
    I agree with these views of Hartford. I was afraid I was the only one who thought so, but I guess not. I couldn't believe that during RVM, I looked around and no one was to my left or my right-I was in section 600. The band was great, but I remember being in Boston in 2003 and the place was VIBRATING. Not here. I'll never go back to Hartford.
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • Options
    MarkAssMarkAss Posts: 6
    I was debating Albany vs. Hartford because I had friends in CT and Westchester, but eventually Albany won out (why didn't we just go to both?) The rain wasn't bad at all/kinda fun and the crowd............holy shit! I'll admit, I've been a PJ fan for about 14 years (we're pushing 40 years old) but never got the chance to see them and didn't know what to expect. I've seen many other non-PJ shows before (RHCP, Stone Temple Pilots), but I just could not believe the energy at the Pepsi Arena. I've never seen an entire arena full of fans stand and yell every word to almost every song, including 9 tracks off the new CD. Amazing, simply incredible. You could tell that the band was having a great time. I'm still blown away and kind of in this Pearl Jam fog now since Friday night. I'm not quite sure what to do next...I have a feeling that I'll remember this show for a long time. Funny-- I left appreciating the songs I didn't know that well (Crazy Mary, Come Back, Red Mosquito, everything new) way more than the usual Ten stuff. It's kind of created this desire for me to seek out all these tracks that I haven't listened too, and really get back into everything Pearl Jam related. Better late than never I guess? Could this possibly affect my career and/or family?

I also feel lucky to have seen such a tremendous show right at home. The security in front of us were facing the stage and dancing most of the night. It's great to see that after all these years, a band with the integrity and talent like PJ can still produce an experience that will never be forgotten. Sorry to ramble...
    "Chesty. Our last word to you tonight." Eddie -Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY May '06
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    there is no way that all of the people in the front were all senior 10c members. i read somewhere else that the season ticket holders scooped up alot of the better seats near the stage.

crowd in front of the stage was weak.

what are season ticket holders? is that not for sports?
  • Options
    5vs15vs1 Posts: 13
    i was section 700 row hh and i agree mike's side was the more rockin during the show. met some cool people and the folks around us were really digging every song. however i did notice that the crowd singing along was not as loud at some parts as i have heard (end of alive, second chorus of animal, end of black, and one point during go where ed turned the mic to the crowd and you could barely hear any singing). but overall i can't complain about the crowd. albany 03 had a very loud crowd and it was probably the same friday, so i don't doubt that show had a better crowd. also the people that were parked next to us were all sitting second row and they weren't 10 club members or even big fans for that matter. apparently most people in the first 5 or 6 rows weren't in the club, which is too bad. overall though i wouldn't say it was a "bad" crowd, the band sounded great and the crowd was appreciative, although not phenomenal.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    what are season ticket holders? is that not for sports?
    Amphitheaters like the Dodge have "season ticket" or "VIP ticket" plans where someone buys good seats for the whole year, never knowing who's coming. Frankly most of these season ticket subscribers are ticket brokers.
    At Tweeter Center in MA, the season tickets start I believe in section 2 row F or G, so the first 5 or 6 rows are always 10 club , but it did appear to me that a few people around me were not 10club, including the couple in front of me in 200 row B, the guy had a "NE Dodge Music Center" fleece on and told me he had to "beg borrow and steal to get these seats", so obviously he was not a 10 clubber.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    here's an idea

next time pay attention to the people on that big stage in front of you

i don't fully understand the obsession with the crowd... i sort of get it... but whatever.. i was there for Comatose not Cumbayaa or however the fluck you spell it :)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    bostonlou wrote:
    here's an idea

i don't fully understand the obsession with the crowd... i sort of get it... but whatever.. i was there for Comatose not Cumbayaa or however the fluck you spell it :)
    I usually find it curious when people post about the crowd around them, cause frankly I barely notice them once the band takes the stage unless something bizarre is happening like a fight or someone totally hepped up on goofballs and passing out.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The cold weather had something to do with it.
    It was not warm.
  • Options
    The cold weather had something to do with it.
    It was not warm.

that's another thing

WEAR A JACKET

i don't get people bitching about it being cold either... it was May in the Northeast... it could of been 70s it could of been 40s... ever hear of weather.com?

it's not like the weather wasn't discussed on the board leading up to the show

i could of been naked with 400 people sitting down around me twiddling their thumbs and I still would of had an awesome time

pearl
    jam

people
  • Options
    bostonlou wrote:

i could of been naked with 400 people sitting down around me twiddling their thumbs and I still would of had an awesome time
    But think of those poor 400 people who had to look at you.

:D
  • Options
    votegirlvotegirl Posts: 95
    I was in 200...and yeah, I wasn't feeling the crowd either. I had a wonderful view...they played an amazing show. Caught a couple of orange avocado pics. Still feel lucky that I could be there.
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    redmosredmos Posts: 6
    Funny how people are saying the Hartford crowd sucked (the venue and security definitely did). I've been to 25 shows dating back to '92 (including Boston and MSG) and the crowds are all the same. You have the diehards who scream at the top of their lungs and then you have those people who don't give a sh*t. Either way, I'm too focused on the band and the music to let the crowd affect my experience
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Agreed....It was actually my 47th show...and I thought the crowd was fine... and I had an incredible time at Hartford. To each his own. I thought the people were nice enough, the atmosphere was good and the show rocked.

Oh yeah... and I got Ed's set lists. :D ....
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    But think of those poor 400 people who had to look at you.

:D

again... not my concern ;)
  • Options
    XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    Crowd was great for the whole first but let down after that......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ep7A7EH5k&search=eddie%20vedder%20cubs
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    i was at the show, 13th row, mike's side. the crowd by us was good, people were into it, jumping up and down and clapping and what not.

also, it really wasn't that cold, at least up near the stage it wasn't. people are making it seem like it was in the 30s or something.
    PearlJamBob
    9/29/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/8/98, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 11/14/02, 4/28/03, 4/30/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    bostonlou wrote:

i don't get people bitching about it being cold either... it was May in the Northeast... it could of been 70s it could of been 40s... ever hear of weather.com?
    it's not like the weather wasn't discussed on the board leading up to the show

pearl
    jam

people

I was in frickin shorts and was fine. maybe it was colder on the lawn, but it was packed, I am sure there was enough body heat and hot air being blown around to keep warm.

I also was debating whether or not to take one last piss, but didnt want to miss anything. Once I heard master/slave, my urge to piss suddenly went away....

imagine that
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    i was at the show, 13th row, mike's side. the crowd by us was good, people were into it, jumping up and down and clapping and what not.

also, it really wasn't that cold, at least up near the stage it wasn't. people are making it seem like it was in the 30s or something.

Agreed...and howdy neighbor. That is where we were too!
  • Options
    JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293
    LovetheJam wrote:
    Agreed....It was actually my 47th show...and I thought the crowd was fine... and I had an incredible time at Hartford. To each his own. I thought the people were nice enough, the atmosphere was good and the show rocked.

Oh yeah... and I got Ed's set lists. :D ....

I think the crowd depended on where you were. I was 15th row on Stones side... crowd didn't seem very into the show. I remember that I looked over to the left side of the venue a couple of times, you guys DEFINITELY had the better half of the crowd!

I think it warmed up in the venue when the band came on, when all the people were in there, etc. I was freezing during MMJ, and I had a sweater and a jacket on, but when PJ came on, I was fine.
  • Options
    cookiescookies Posts: 113
    That was my first time there and there were some things that could have been better. But I do it all again, I thought it was great that PJ did Ct at all. So I will take the bad to get to the good in this case it was well worth it . Thanks PJ :)

Cookies
    Cookies
    ôjô
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I had a t-shirt & rainjacket on & didn't think it was all that cold. I wasn't focused on the crowd nearly as much as the band and had a great time at the show. To each their own though...
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    I was in section 100 (stone's side) row p, the very last row in front of the private boxes, everyone in front of us was a fan, the people in the boxes were not, they left 1/3 into the show.

the crowd didn't suck the weather and the venue did, I hate open air shows

and bostonlou, as for checking the weather channel and being prepared I was already in line waiting for my poster ;)
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Yes, you are right. Our side was better. The sound was excellent. The band was excellent. It was very cold.

Great show, subpar crowd sums it up.

But it wasn't that cold. Perfect shorts and t shirt weather in my opinion.

I love New England weather like that. (I'm not being sarcastic - I really love that kind of weather. It's raw enought but not too cold to make you feel alive.)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    bostonlou wrote:
    here's an idea

This was my 10th show, and the only one I can complain about. We had no choice but to pay attention to the situation that was going on in front of us. We were in Section 200 Row 6. There were VIP season pass holders in front of us who were actually punching people, stole seats from other, security doing nothing, spilling drinks, playing with a hooker.....and one of them was at least 6'4" and looked like a body guard, he was the most obnoxious of them all. It took away from what was a good solid show. I did enjoy the show, but left with a really sick feeling in my stomach that such low life slimy people really do exist. Strangest group of people I've ever been exposed to.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    PJaddicted wrote:
    This was my 10th show, and the only one I can complain about. We had no choice but to pay attention to the situation that was going on in front of us. We were in Section 200 Row 6. There were VIP season pass holders in front of us who were actually punching people, stole seats from other, security doing nothing, spilling drinks, playing with a hooker.....and one of them was at least 6'4" and looked like a body guard, he was the most obnoxious of them all. It took away from what was a good solid show. I did enjoy the show, but left with a really sick feeling in my stomach that such low life slimy people really do exist. Strangest group of people I've ever been exposed to.

oxc

haha you must have been in the same row as I was. things werent that much better in front of me.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    haha you must have been in the same row as I was. things werent that much better in front of me.

At first we were in disbelief that these people could be 10cers.....how was it possible? Then the whole picture started to unfold, and we knew they were not. Every single person who tried to get past them, in or out of their seats was given a hard time....and the poor kid whose seat they stole....he was actually hit. He got security and they wouldn't pull the whole crew of them out of the row...so they put him front row and center....but he came back two more times wanting a piece to the aholes. Should have just stayed in the best seat in the venue...I guess it was the principal of the situation for him.

I hope NJ2 is better, I have to go back to my nosebleed fanclub seats....but I think that will be better as long as there are 10c people around!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown