My Morning Jacket? What did you think?

jeddethjeddeth Posts: 93
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I'm dying to know what everyone thought of My Morning Jacket last night. Were a lot of people in their seats to watch or was it the usual empty room?

If you saw them what did you think?

Was it your first time seeing them?

Did they play anything amazing?
Things change. They wont change unless you make them. The best way to change something you don't like, is to change yourself. So if you feel like you have a piece of duct tape on your mouth and you can't escape, take it off, speak up, speak your mind, shout it out, let 'em hear ya! -EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    im anxious for them too. i wonder if their sets will vary from night to night or be pretty much the same. i hear they're good live and love the albums ive got.
  • Green Di$ea$eGreen Di$ea$e Posts: 158
    played alot of z and it still moves, the only 2 albums that i own...so I enjoyed them, opened with one big holiday (fav song) and ended with magheetah (sp) good set, way better opener then sleaterkinney...I think that they will get along good with pearl jam, mmj came out for rocking in the free world and they looked like they were loving it, stone had to poke jim to sing into the mike as he was having a blast and not paying attention
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    Awesome opener... I met them after the show. They were walking amongst the masses leaving the building, and no one recognized them... It was surreal, the whole band just walking through the underpass and no one know who the fuck they were....
  • 1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    MMJ is great. I started to listen to them after a few people here recommended them to me.
    You guys realy should try them out if you haven't yet.
    I'm really excited to see them open up for PJ.
  • i bought "z" in anticipation of seeing them live.

last night they did quite a few selections from that great cd...i'd say 5 or 6 minimum, cause that's the only songs i really knew well. "off the record" was so kewl and i was really hoping for that nugget...and they did it proud!

i was extremely happy with their song selection and for the most part they delivered a high energy ROCKING show. it was loud and the guitars were turned UP.

it will be interesting to see what they do tonight. i think it was smart of them to concentrate on their latest effort, cause it's such a damn good record.

also, it was nice to see them come out for, rocking in the free world...they were singing, dancing, playin the tambourines etc etc !! fun was had :)

awesome band
  • guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    i thought they were pretty good. much better than SK. i hadnt heard them before and was impressed w/ some songs, but the sound quality was pretty terrible. I dont know what it is, but at almost all areana shows the openers get stuck w/ brutal sound guys or something. MMJ did put on a good show regardless though, and i wouldnt mind checking them out again.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    "What a Wonderful Man you are" is such a great song from "Z". Did they play that? That is all they need to do to make me happy. Maybe a little "Gideon" too.
  • I really enjoyed them.
    the singer has a good voice,although his mike
    may have been up a little too loud.

I especially liked Animal behind the drum kit.
  • i bought "z" in anticipation of seeing them live.

last night they did quite a few selections from that great cd...i'd say 5 or 6 minimum, cause that's the only songs i really knew well. "off the record" was so kewl and i was really hoping for that nugget...and they did it proud!

i was extremely happy with their song selection and for the most part they delivered a high energy ROCKING show. it was loud and the guitars were turned UP.

it will be interesting to see what they do tonight. i think it was smart of them to concentrate on their latest effort, cause it's such a damn good record.

also, it was nice to see them come out for, rocking in the free world...they were singing, dancing, playin the tambourines etc etc !! fun was had :)

awesome band

YEP.
    what tim baily said.
    they rocked.

and thanks for the beer.
  • ...I especially liked Animal behind the drum kit.

LMAO...that dude fucking rawks!!
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I bought Z and really liked it. But they didn't really impress me live. The sound quality was pretty bad. If you didn't hear the studio versions of the songs you really had no idea what he was singing.
    did they play 'lay low'? that's my fav from the new album...
  • I bought Z and really liked it. But they didn't really impress me live. The sound quality was pretty bad. If you didn't hear the studio versions of the songs you really had no idea what he was singing.

imho those songs rawk just as much without knowing all the lyrics...to me it's about the guitar work/atmosphere...ie) off the record :)
    imho those songs rawk just as much without knowing all the lyrics...to me it's about the guitar work/atmosphere...ie) off the record :)

yeah, for the first 3 albums yuo cant understand a word he's singing anyway. or most of the new one for that matter. they're very much mood music to me.
  • pointfivepointfive Posts: 8
    if you don't like MMJ you basically support terror
    "1/2Faithful-hush, no words...no words, just this one last time...dance with me, like the sun's never going to come up. People should be more like you, a young Andy Richter throwing caution to the wind, eating, drinking, and being sexy.

God bless you. "- jayscott
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    They were good - they really have their shit together. The lead singer's voice isn't really my taste, as I prefer a deeper voice, but good performance.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    I thought they were really gay.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    played alot of z and it still moves, the only 2 albums that i own...so I enjoyed them, opened with one big holiday (fav song) and ended with magheetah (sp) good set, way better opener then sleaterkinney...I think that they will get along good with pearl jam, mmj came out for rocking in the free world and they looked like they were loving it, stone had to poke jim to sing into the mike as he was having a blast and not paying attention

thank god no screaming banshee this time around
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • the wakerthe waker Posts: 65
    yeah, for the first 3 albums yuo cant understand a word he's singing anyway. or most of the new one for that matter. they're very much mood music to me.

yea i didnt much care for danclefloors. it was a bonnaroo comp. i bought. but then i heard stuff from z on sirius satellite and realized what a dumbass i was for pigeonholing them on that one song. im looking forward to seeing them in washington. and soulsinging your signature rocks and so does built to spill.
    No time to question why nothing lasts
  • if you don't like MMJ you basically support terror

i agree with this statement
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Whit1Whit1 Posts: 12
    they were awesome. just bought most of their material off from iTunes.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Actually I thought they were pretty good. IMO, when they jammed out, they were at thier best. Not to say there wasn't a few Corrin Tucker moments there.

Why do PJ like those ear splitters for openers? I love a lot of thier music, but sometimes, those high pitched screeches just get to me. SK, MMJ, Sonic Youth.... all have thoes ear splitting moments. It's nothing like Ed's baritone!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    i dont really listen to support bands when going to a gig unless i know them. From what i did hear at albany it never moved me, infact at hartford i hung out at a beer tent and didnt see them play again. Perhaps i should give them the benefit of the doubt and buy an album of theirs to listen to.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07