Options

Meeting Pearl Jam on the road

ctsufer31ctsufer31 Boston, MA Posts: 33
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I was wondering if anyone out there has any stories about meeting any of members of Pearl Jam while they were on tour?
Pearl Jam
Hartford 10-02-1996, Hartford 09-13-1998, Mansfield 08-29-2000, Albany 04-29-2003, Mansfield 07-02-2003, NYC 07-09-2003, Boston 09-28-2004, Toronto 09-19-2005, Albany 05-12-2006, Boston 05-25-2006, E. Rutherford 06-03-2006, Hartford 06-27-2008, Mansfield 06-28-2008, Mansfield 06-30-2008, Boston 05-17-2010, Toronto 09-11-2011, Worcester 10-15-2013, Worcester 10-16-2013, Quebec City 05-05-2016
Eddie Vedder
Boston 08-01-2008, Providence 06-15-2011, Boston 06-16-2011
Tres Mts.
Boston 03-27-2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sammersammer Posts: 71
    if you want a story: 4 years ago some friends and I were traveling around spain to see radiohead to see their mini-tour, a day before the first show i've met thom yorke while I was walking with my spanish girlfriend near the sea. shaked his hand and talked for 15minutes with him.
    2 years ago r.e.m. was playing in antwerp and i bumbed into Mr Stipe.
    maybe this year something lsimular will happen with Ed. I'll keep my eyes open, that's for sure.
    2006: antwerp, paris, berlin

2007: nijmegene werchter

2009: rotterdam

2010: nijmegen, berlin, arras, werchter
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Posts: 2
    ctsufer31 wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone out there has any stories about meeting any of members of Pearl Jam while they were on tour?
    Last September when Pearl Jam played the ACC, I was in Toronto for the U2 concert with my wife and daughter. I had just seen the PJ concert in London where I live and it was wonderful at the John Labatt Centre. Tremendous sound at this venue and great sight lines too!
    We were in the Eaton (Sear) Centre on Saturday afternoon in the food court area. My daughter was buying a Mrs. Fields cookie at their booth and my wife was standing beside her. I was about 10 feet away standing in the mall waiting for them, when for some reason I turned to my right and there was Jeff Ament walking towards me. I could not friggin believe it and I thought I was seeing an apparition! I did not want to be like some crazed fool, but I thought if I did not approach him and thank him for his music and that of Pearl Jam, it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity lost. So I went up to him, and introduced myself as being a fan for many years, since my son was in his early teens in the early nineties. Jeff stopped and talked to me and was in no hurry. In fact he shook hands with my wife and daughter who I introduced him to as well. He talked about the band and how well they were playing and having an amazing time doing a Canadian tour. He talked about Matt Cameron and how much better the band had become since Matt joined them. I asked him about walking around in Toronto and whether people noticed him as I did. He said that he usually keeps just under the radar and that people do not bother him, but that he did not mind talking to us at all. He said that Eddie and Stone cannot do that, people usually notice them. Jeff looked like an ordinary tourist in the mall that day last September. He was wearing a white T-shirt, khaki shorts and runners and was walking around with his sunglasses propped up on his forehead, carrying a couple of shopping bags. You really had to know him and be a fan to notice him I think. But it was amazing to talk and I called my son right after and told him. He could not believe it and had wished he had been there with us. We were at the show in Toronto Monday night and it rocked! A tremendous band and nice bunch of guys I believe.

Scott Gregory
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    me and my friend met jeff, matt and mike yesterday. They were really cool!! :D no eddie tho.. :(
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    We met them in Argentina, Mike Jeff and Stone... There were a couple of guys who met Ed also but I wasn't that lucky...
    They were really cool, Jeff even said Hi to my brother over the phone, they signed my Yield copy and talked to us for a while.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    i met jeff mike and stone last november, the three of them really friendly, jeff was wearing a Black Flag tee and carried a bottle of water, he went walking through the city like a regular tourist, no security by his side. really cool guy
    no son personas, son mujeres
  • Options
    mtade17mtade17 Posts: 41
    My friend and I went to see PJ in Boston '04 before. I was standing on a street corner trying to figure out where we were and this guy walks past me. I thought to myself "this guy looks familiar" and noticed a tattoo coming out from under his sleeve. There was nothing to loose so I turned and called his name. The guy stopped, turned around, and walked back towards me. He introduces himself and we stand there and talk for a few minutes. it was Mike McCready! The look on my friend's face when he realized who I was talking to was priceless. After talking for a few minutes, he asked us if we wanted to join him for the rest of the afternoon. We hung out with him walking around Boston for several hours before sound check that night. We took a private tour of the USS Constitution thanks to my friend in the Coast Guard. We took pictures at Bunker Hill. Mike even took a picture of all of us with his camera. He is such a nice, completely down to earth guy. He even asked us what songs we wanted to hear and which shows we would be at. I requested "Dissident" (as it is my favorite song) and Mike told me that he would see what he could do. The only two times they played it on that short tour was in Boston night 1 and in Asheville, NC which was the other show I was at. Unbelievable. There is sooo much more to the story, too much to tell here. It was all too surreal. I also briefly met Stone and Jeff on that trip to Boston. Jeff literally ran into me as I was coming out of a door at a hotel. Go to http://www.myspace.com/mtade17 and click on pics to see one of the pictures of my friends and I with Mike at Bunker Hill.

I met Ed in Atlanta in 2000 after a show. He was so nice. I was in complete and total shock.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Posts: 115
    depplover wrote:
    me and my friend met jeff, matt and mike yesterday. They were really cool!! :D no eddie tho.. :(
    where and what time around
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    Here's a question: If a fan really wants to meet the band on tour, what's the best way of going about it (other than having a friend who can get you backstage)?
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 532
    yeah, i would be interested in finding out where they might be staying for the camden (philly) shows or dc. please pm me with any suggestions. There will be a nice reward in it for you if i run into any of them. Thanks.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    I have just been lucky enough to meet people either before or after the show at random places. There's really no formula for it. Sometimes you can meet band members by going to where the buses are parked behind a venue. I've come across many opening bands that way. Also, you get to talk to some of the security guards which always makes for nice conversation. I know that Eddie will, every once in a while, stop and meet fans after a show if he sees people standing around as he is leaving. It really is the luck of the draw.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    We let a stranger use a cell phone after the St Lou VFC show and she told us where the boys were stayin. Unfortunately for the 7 of us, one person had to be back as early as possible. Shoulda told him to fuck off, but figured I would be fair. The worst part is the show let out fairly early too.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    My wife happens to travel to mexico for work from time to time, and she was going to be down there when Pearl Jam was playing in Mexico City...so we planned a trip.

I met her and we checked into the company approved hotel there...it was a terrific hotel. very cool. AS we were checking out our room, I said 'You know, this is a really nice hotel, I bet the band stays at a place like this'.

Well, we went to the concert the first night had a blast and returned to the hotel. We woke up in the morning to meet some of her friends to shows us around the city. WE walk down the stairs and I see Boom standing there with his wife. Walk out to the desk to get some directions and I see Mike sitting there and Jeff stretching. I debated internally whether to bother them...I figured the hotel was suppose to be a "safe" place for them and didn;t want to mess that up. But in the end I asked if I coudl have a picture with them (which my wife took) and we talked about the show the previous night a little and said I would be seeing them that night as well. Then I had to change my pants. ;) Then they were off.

Later I was waiting in the hotel lobby for my wife who was getting something from the room when Stone came down with a bunch of people waited for a car to pull up and then jumped in. He definitely did not want to be bothered.

The next morning after the 2nd show we were eating breakfast at the hotel at the table next to Boom and his wife when Jeff showed up and sat down with some people right near us again. Pretty cool. Felt like a kid.

We went up to the room, got ready for the day and came back down. AS we came down the stairs the elevator opened right in front of the stairs and Eddie carrying his kid came out. I made eye contact with him and he looked a little worried, guess he thought I might not act appropriately around his kid or not. So I just said hello and cute kid, he nodded and said Hi and we both kept walking. He face certainly relaxed after I said hello and nothing else. While waiting for our car, the whole band was in the lobby getting ready to head to the airport. It was fun seeing them interact with each other in that setting.

All and all it was the coolest weekend I have ever had I think. I got a cool picture and got to speak with Mike and Jeff but I didn't want to be a nuisance so I didn;t push anything. Very cool.

By the way...Mike and Jeff were both extremely nice. When I asked for the picture, Jeff started to back away and while I wanted him in it, I thought that maybe he didn;t want to be in the picture so I didn;t say anything. BUt Mike said 'You want Jeff in this too don;t ya? and got him in it. Very cool.

Sorry for the long post, but I love thinking about that.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    berlindomanberlindoman Posts: 107
    I met Jeff in rio, a day after the show...great guy, really cool. We talked for a couple of minutes, signed my santa barbara t-shirt and got a picture with him. He seemed such a nice guy, he even asked me which show i enjoyed the most...
    I met MIke in san telmo (buenos aires) while i was taking a picture of a old building. I remember looking toward the small plaza and saw one of the security guys that work with the band, I totally recognized him from the shows in chile, sure enough I looked to my right and Mike was standing next to me, could not believe it. He was very friendly, took a picture with him and we talked briefly , i was so nervous and i did not know what to say. I have always been thinking what i would do if i ever meet one of them? , and there it was........my chance to tell them how much their music mean to me............unreal....
  • Options
    JEFF IJEFF I Posts: 50
    I may have said, "can your daughter play fouxzz ball ?", or "my daughter is almost 2, how old is she" ? But at least say, something, like thanks for the tunes man !!!

Thanks for being so cool !

My wife happens to travel to mexico for work from time to time, and she was going to be down there when Pearl Jam was playing in Mexico City...so we planned a trip.

I met her and we checked into the company approved hotel there...it was a terrific hotel. very cool. AS we were checking out our room, I said 'You know, this is a really nice hotel, I bet the band stays at a place like this'.

Well, we went to the concert the first night had a blast and returned to the hotel. We woke up in the morning to meet some of her friends to shows us around the city. WE walk down the stairs and I see Boom standing there with his wife. Walk out to the desk to get some directions and I see Mike sitting there and Jeff stretching. I debated internally whether to bother them...I figured the hotel was suppose to be a "safe" place for them and didn;t want to mess that up. But in the end I asked if I coudl have a picture with them (which my wife took) and we talked about the show the previous night a little and said I would be seeing them that night as well. Then I had to change my pants. ;) Then they were off.

Later I was waiting in the hotel lobby for my wife who was getting something from the room when Stone came down with a bunch of people waited for a car to pull up and then jumped in. He definitely did not want to be bothered.

The next morning after the 2nd show we were eating breakfast at the hotel at the table next to Boom and his wife when Jeff showed up and sat down with some people right near us again. Pretty cool. Felt like a kid.

We went up to the room, got ready for the day and came back down. AS we came down the stairs the elevator opened right in front of the stairs and Eddie carrying his kid came out. I made eye contact with him and he looked a little worried, guess he thought I might not act appropriately around his kid or not. So I just said hello and cute kid, he nodded and said Hi and we both kept walking. He face certainly relaxed after I said hello and nothing else. While waiting for our car, the whole band was in the lobby getting ready to head to the airport. It was fun seeing them interact with each other in that setting.

All and all it was the coolest weekend I have ever had I think. I got a cool picture and got to speak with Mike and Jeff but I didn't want to be a nuisance so I didn;t push anything. Very cool.

By the way...Mike and Jeff were both extremely nice. When I asked for the picture, Jeff started to back away and while I wanted him in it, I thought that maybe he didn;t want to be in the picture so I didn;t say anything. BUt Mike said 'You want Jeff in this too don;t ya? and got him in it. Very cool.

Sorry for the long post, but I love thinking about that.
    vedderrules
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    My g/f and I met Jeff in downtown Quebec City. We saw him talking to Boom (and his wife?). They said goodbye to each other, and we quite literally stalked Jeff for about 3 blocks until I finally got the courage to yell "Hey, Jeff!" He turned around saw my g/f wearing a PJ shirt and could tell we were fans... I apologized for stalking him, he just laughed it off, and we chatted for about 5 minutes. We basically thanked him for the music, he asked where we were from and a few other things, but mostly we just showered him with praise. He was very cool about it. We then got our pictures with him... anyway... the blog and the pics are here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=8240120&blogID=49787235&Mytoken=87CC1562-CFC6-498B-82ACE471318923361615385906e
  • Options
    CanvasAdamCanvasAdam Posts: 134
    met ed in memphis in august of 2000 at the pyramid. earlier that day before the show i got up to the arena early to try and hear the soundcheck through the doors and i could hear sonic youth soundchecking. me and my friend were just sitting out there against the wall and we see a guy sitting outside smoking a cigerette and lo and behold its ed lol. he noticed us noticing him and was nice enough to come over and talk to us. of all things we talked about baseball as he noticed my atlanta jersey. was kind of funny, me being a braves fan, we were argueing about who was better... atlanta or chicago. definately a moment i will never forget. he gave me a pearl jam backstage clearance sticker off his jacket that had the date, location, and his initials on it. to this day it's hanging on my wall. ah memories... bring on chicago next week!!!
    1998... 9/3
    2000... 8/7, 8/15, 11/5, 11/6
    2001... 10/20, 10/21, 10/22
    2002... 12/8, 12/9
    2003... 4/9, 4/18, 4/19, 7/8, 7/9
    2004... 10/6, 10/8
    2006... 5/16, 5/17, 5/30
    2008... EV Solo 4/12, 4/13, 4/16
    2008... PJ 6/14, 7/12
    2008... Stone Solo 10/11
  • Options
    wescaddle16wescaddle16 Posts: 106
    My fiance and I met Mike, Stone, Boom & Kelly Curtis (PJ Manager) in Quebec City last September the day after the show...We literally bumped into Mike & his wife as we went around a corner in old Quebec City...We talked for 10 min... A true gentleman...His cellphone then rang and the ringtone was Beast of Burden by the Rolling Stones :-) We then went to the Chateaux Frontenac hotel lobby where we met Boom...Waited around & an hour later Stone walked in with Kelly Curtis...Met them & Kelly asked if he could take a pic of me with his cell phone (I was wearing my eddie vedder baseball hat) :-) ...Later on we saw Ed's wife Jill & the baby Olivia walk in and go into the elevator...What an amazing day...Here are the links to the pics of us with PJ...(I am the guy with the black baseball hat that says "Eddie vedder" on it)...My fiance is also in the pics as well as my 2 friends...Enjoy!

Mike:
    http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/wescaddle10/?action=view&current=DSC00212copy.jpg

Stone:
    http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/wescaddle10/?action=view&current=DSC00232copy.jpg

Boom:
    http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/wescaddle10/?action=view&current=DSC00227copy.jpg
    Montreal 08-20-1998
    Montreal 10-04-2000
    Montreal 06-29-2003
    New York City 07-09-2003
    Montreal 09-15-2005
    Toronto 09-19-2005
    Quebec City 09-20-2005
    Toronto 05-09-2006
    Hartford 05-13-2006
    Toronto 2009
    Hartford 2010
    Buffalo 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Buffalo 2013
  • Options
    mtade17 wrote:
    My friend and I went to see PJ in Boston '04 before. I was standing on a street corner trying to figure out where we were and this guy walks past me. I thought to myself "this guy looks familiar" and noticed a tattoo coming out from under his sleeve. There was nothing to loose so I turned and called his name. The guy stopped, turned around, and walked back towards me. He introduces himself and we stand there and talk for a few minutes. it was Mike McCready! The look on my friend's face when he realized who I was talking to was priceless. After talking for a few minutes, he asked us if we wanted to join him for the rest of the afternoon. We hung out with him walking around Boston for several hours before sound check that night. We took a private tour of the USS Constitution thanks to my friend in the Coast Guard. We took pictures at Bunker Hill. Mike even took a picture of all of us with his camera. He is such a nice, completely down to earth guy. He even asked us what songs we wanted to hear and which shows we would be at. I requested "Dissident" (as it is my favorite song) and Mike told me that he would see what he could do. The only two times they played it on that short tour was in Boston night 1 and in Asheville, NC which was the other show I was at. Unbelievable. There is sooo much more to the story, too much to tell here. It was all too surreal. I also briefly met Stone and Jeff on that trip to Boston. Jeff literally ran into me as I was coming out of a door at a hotel. Go to http://www.myspace.com/mtade17 and click on pics to see one of the pictures of my friends and I with Mike at Bunker Hill.

I met Ed in Atlanta in 2000 after a show. He was so nice. I was in complete and total shock.
    Dude are u serious? That's awesome. I lived in boston for 4 years, where did u run into mike? DId you stay at the same hotel as them?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Dude are u serious? That's awesome. I lived in boston for 4 years, where did u run into mike? DId you stay at the same hotel as them?

We ran into him on the Freedom Trail around Paul Revere's house. He was just walking around by himself. He was sooo nice. That day is almost like a dream in my memory. People ask me all the time what we talked about. We talked about everything. Whenhe found out I am a teacher, he really talked my ear off because his mom is/was a teacher. Look at the picture on my myspace page.
    We did not stay at the same hotel as them, but ran into several of the guys aroung the Common.
  • Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    I met Ed after the last Santa Barbara show back stage.

Wednesday in Toronto, my friend and I met Boom, Ed and Stone. We had a conversation with each one. Didn't ask for a picture or to sign anything, I'm always afraid they'll say no. I just figure I'm lucky enough to have met them. Needless to say it was awesome! Ed told me to say hi to my husband! I told him how cool my husband was for "letting" me go "on tour"!

If it ever happens again, I may just have to ask for a picture!