Options

Albany Pics

RWRW Posts: 97
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Here are my pics from last night's show:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Albany06/?start=all

Thanks so much to dpphoto and sharptoe for the tips. These turned out great.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reptarau2reptarau2 Posts: 15
    Wow those are awesome!
  • Options
    sharptoesharptoe Rochester, NY Posts: 91
    Awesome Pics!!! Ill have mine up either in a little bit, or tomorrow when I am sober again!!!!
    Maybe so, Maybe not!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    you fucking rule....so far i have a desktop picture from each night as it happened.!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Nice pics! :D They look on fine form :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    sharptoesharptoe Rochester, NY Posts: 91
    Here are my pics from Row F Center

Enjoy!!!

http://www.s109718014.onlinehome.us/sharptoe/PJAlbany2006/
    Maybe so, Maybe not!
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    sharptoe wrote:
    Here are my pics from Row F Center

Enjoy!!!

http://www.s109718014.onlinehome.us/sharptoe/PJAlbany2006/

Thanks for sharing mate. Nice and near the front! :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Awesome pics!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    PJ SparksPJ Sparks Posts: 83
    Great pics kids. Fucking outstanding.

PJ Sparks
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    really really great pictures , thanks for sharing them :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    great! thanks!
    now i can have a slideshow while listening to the boot...

during which song did ed do the thing with his shirt? given to fly?
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Here are my pics from last night's show:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Albany06/?start=all

Thanks so much to dpphoto and sharptoe for the tips. These turned out great.

Great pics, what were the tips you got, want to share them?? :)
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    nice pics, will have mine up soon.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Great pics both you - thanks! Ed sure seems to like his Plasmatics t-shirt!
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    redrock wrote:
    Great pics both you - thanks! Ed sure seems to like his Flashmatics t-shirt!

hehe, yeah, he does :) (it's the plasmatics, by the way)

i wonder how many shirts he takes on a world tour...
    i guess he likes to travel light :D
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Oops - having bad day - corrected!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I like the pictures you have with Ed's shirt around his head. There's an intensity to the expression that I like. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 97
    Irish Al wrote:
    Great pics, what were the tips you got, want to share them?? :)

These were the most helpful:
    dpphoto wrote:
    Pointers for a taking photos at a concert:

- Turn off the flash: you dont need it to get a good shot and it bugs the artists

- Turn off focusing lasers/grids: some cameras have them to assist in focusing in the dark. You don't want that hitting the artist in the face. The stage should be bright enough that the assist lamp would not engage but it would be a good idea to turn it off (if you can).

- Use manual mode or a priority mode (aperture or shutter): This will force the camera to hold its settings or, in a priority mode, will set one and allow the other to adjust itself given lighting conditions etc. If you go priority mode, I suggest aperture and setting it to the smallest number (which lets in more light). Most will have f2.8 at the widest zoom but force to a different aperture if you zoom in. Check your manual to see how yours works.

- Shutter speed: it's very difficult to handhold a shot at anything slower than 1/60 of a second. Usually anything slower and you will see "hand shake" - meaning your own movement of the camera while the shutter is open. A slow shutter speed will also blur the action on stage if people are moving. You may be going for that look. Depending on your distance from the stage and how bright the lights are at particular times, you should probably be able to get away with f2.8 1/100 or 1/125. This faster shutter speed will help stop the action while still having some bluriness of artist movement and help eliminate hand shake.

- Crank up the ISO as needed: most digital camera have at least 800 or maybe 1600 or something in between. It will cause some noise but you can clean that later. The point is to trade noise for a clearer shot. Bumping it up will allow you to achieve the settings mentioned above. So do this if you cant get the desired settings in order to get a clear shot.

- Shoot RAW mode: If your camera has a RAW mode, USE IT! Raw allows a lot of room for editing with no image degridation (unlike jpg) If you are taking the time to lug a camera and take photos during the show then take them with the best option available to you, which is RAW if you have the option. Note: you will need something to edit RAW files with. Your camera likely came with software or if you have Photoshop CS, CS2, Elements, or any other product that can read/edit RAW files. If you dont, set your camera to the highest quality jpg and bring enough storage cards for the night.

- When focusing....WAIT!: Most digital cameras have a focus lag, particularly noticeable in dark settings. Most also focus and take the shot with the same button. So, you press the button "halfway", let it focus (usually something alerts you the focus is achieved), then you press the button down the rest of the way to take the shot. Because of the dark setting the camera may "hunt" a bit so take the time to let the focus happen then ...click!

- Steadyyyyy... steady...: You may be shooting with slow shutter speeds so to keep movement to a minimum you may want to use the actual viewfinder when taking your shots which will allow you to rest the camera against your face to help support it. If you use the screen on the back that will require you to hover the camera in the air which allows more movement. And take photos when you are finishing your "out" breath. This will help you to relax plus you will have less body movement than when your chest is expanding on the "in" breath. Keeping your elbows into your body will also help with support.

- Review your images: After you get your settings straight and take a few pictures, be sure to review them. Use any histograms or overexposure meters to help decide if your settings are correct. If things are "blown out" (too much light), increase your shutter speed and/or decrease your ISO. If things are really dark, do the opposite.

-Position: Usually a small movement in any direction can create a better photo. Get in the right spot to remove those heads in front of you, etc.

Hope this helps.

- http://www.pbase.com/dimages/music

For most of my pics I used shutter priority with a speed of 1/60 to 1/80, and ISO 400. I didn't get too many good ones in Toronto, but kept experimenting. By Albany 80-90% of the shots were turning out good.