Horse racing yay or neigh?

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You know what happens to the horses if you axe the horse racing industry.  Those horses will be put down.
    Maybe, but how many future generations of suffering would you prevent?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:
    You know what happens to the horses if you axe the horse racing industry.  Those horses will be put down.
    Maybe, but how many future generations of suffering would you prevent?
    You would prevent future suffering no doubt...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Totally against.  We went once just because I'd never gone.  While we were at the races, one of the people I was with pulled up some disturbing information on her iPhone about the cruelties to these fine beasts,  Never again!  Will not support this!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    Totally against.  We went once just because I'd never gone.  While we were at the races, one of the people I was with pulled up some disturbing information on her iPhone about the cruelties to these fine beasts,  Never again!  Will not support this!
    Wow you hang with some awesome people!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    most likely sold. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    Well, yeah, I like and or/ love them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    That was a weird response, by the way, Cincy.  :lol:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    most likely sold. 
    I was recently listening to a radio interview and it seems like a lot of horses that are not appropriate or wanted for sport riding end up being auctioned off and killed for meat. I don’t know if ex-racing horses would fit into that category or not. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    most likely sold. 
    I was recently listening to a radio interview and it seems like a lot of horses that are not appropriate or wanted for sport riding end up being auctioned off and killed for meat. I don’t know if ex-racing horses would fit into that category or not. 
    I don't know either. But what I do know is that what happens as a one time thing to existing racing horses is not a good argument to keep the practice going. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    most likely sold. 
    Yes, plenty of ex-race horses - the ones not valued as profitable breeders - end up in dog food and glue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    most likely sold. 
    Yes, plenty of ex-race horses - the ones not valued as profitable breeders - end up in dog food and glue.
    I've always wondered this, what is the magic part of a horse that helps make glue?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    most likely sold. 
    I've always wondered this, what is the magic part of a horse that helps make glue?
    Most of the animal - hide, bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, etc... is boiled for the collagen, a key ingredient in animal-based glue.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jello is also made with this, I believe.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Someone that voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race is a jerk. Shoulda done that before going.  Buzzkill! 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited November 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Someone that voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race is a jerk. Shoulda done that before going.  Buzzkill! 
    Look, to me you're stepping over a line here, Cincy.  First of all, please back off on the personal shit.  Secondly, the person you just called a jerk is one of the most important people in my life so, please, stuff it.  Thirdly, you're way off base saying something here that isn't true because the person that looked up that information at the track did so because, being a good observer by nature, she didn't like some of the things she was seeing going on.  She had never been to a horse race and had no idea what it was all about.  Having that digital device on hand,  she decided to do some quick research about what she was observing.  She was very discrete about telling me what she learned.  She did not go with the intent to be a "buzz kill".  She did not "voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race". 

:anguished: 

Post edited by brianlux on

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    It's an event for people pretend they are bourgeoisie for a day. Dress up, get drunk, act like idiots.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    most likely sold. 
    Most were put down or sold for food from what little info was available in Ontario when the horse racing industry virtually collapsed once the government started pulling the slot machines from raceways.  These slot machines kept the horse racing industry afloat in many places.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Look, to me you're stepping over a line here, Cincy.  First of all, please back off on the personal shit.  Secondly, the person you just called a jerk is one of the most important people in my life so, please, stuff it.  Thirdly, you're way off base saying something here that isn't true because the person that looked up that information at the track did so because, being a good observer by nature, she didn't like some of the things she was seeing going on.  She had never been to a horse race and had no idea what it was all about.  Having that digital device on hand,  she decided to do some quick research about what she was observing.  She was very discrete about telling me what she learned.  She did not go with the intent to be a "buzz kill".  She did not "voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race". 

Did she go to the horse race voluntarily?
    fif she look up negative details about the race before or at the race?
    did she tell other st the race about what she was reading?
    kinda a buzzkill. But hey - that is just my opinion and maybe the people with her like doing that sort of thing. 

Though I’ll apologize for the “jerk”, cause we all do jerk things from time to time. So I still think it’s a jerk move. I do that too often, mean “jerk move” and say “jerk”.

hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

kinda a buzzkill. But hey - that is just my opinion and maybe the people with her like doing that sort of thing. 

Though I’ll apologize for the “jerk”, cause we all do jerk things from time to time. So I still think it’s a jerk move. I do that too often, mean “jerk move” and say “jerk”.

That a loaded apology.  But whatever.  I'm moving on.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Whatever Brian / I think you are taking this just a smidge more harsh then you should. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Whatever Brian / I think you are taking this just a smidge more harsh then you should. 
    Maybe, sorry man.  I'm a fierce defender of people I love and respect.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t know why you’re apologizing, Brian. You weren’t the one making the rude comments. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t know why you’re apologizing, Brian. You weren’t the one making the rude comments. 

Just trying to keep the peace.  I do tend to over-react to things sometimes.  A friend of mine once said, "We all have our fatal character flaws", lol.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Just trying to keep the peace.  I do tend to over-react to things sometimes.  A friend of mine once said, "We all have our fatal character flaws", lol.
    Same jerk or a different one? 

KIDDING!! 

:fearful:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited November 2018
    Jello is also made with this, I believe.
    Yes, anything with gelatin. So gummy candies too, and many other desserts, etc. But gelatin is normally made of cow and pig parts, not horse. They don't put horse meat in human food generally, in north America. Most people aren't willing to eat horse in the Western world.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Why don't we eat horses?

In the United States, United Kingdom and some other nations, horse meat is largely reviled. Asked to explain why she would not eat horse meat, New York City resident Victoria Milton compared them to pets, saying that "people have horses and they love them and they're part of their family."

In many other nations, however, eating horse meat is no big deal - and in some cultures, it's even considered a delicacy. Mexico, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Indonesia, Poland and China are among the nations where many people eat horse meat without a second thought.

edited November 2018
    jeffbr said:

Why don't we eat horses?

In the United States, United Kingdom and some other nations, horse meat is largely reviled. Asked to explain why she would not eat horse meat, New York City resident Victoria Milton compared them to pets, saying that "people have horses and they love them and they're part of their family."

In many other nations, however, eating horse meat is no big deal - and in some cultures, it's even considered a delicacy. Mexico, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Indonesia, Poland and China are among the nations where many people eat horse meat without a second thought.

It wouldn't be so bad if the horses were treated the way they need to be treated to live decent lives. But they are obviously horribly neglected and mistreated in the meat market, even under the best conditions. Of course, that can be said of most animals under us in the food chain... It's just that our emotions are more sensitive when it comes to animals we consider pets/companions. Yes, it's hypocritical, but it still makes sense.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Why don't we eat horses?

It wouldn't be so bad if the horses were treated the way they need to be treated to live decent lives. But they are obviously horribly neglected and mistreated in the meat market, even under the best conditions. Of course, that can be said of most animals under us in the food chain... It's just that our emotions are more sensitive when it comes to animals we consider pets/companions. Yes, it's hypocritical, but it still makes sense.
    I agree. It is hypocritical and hard to explain, but that is the way it is. While I'm sure horse is a perfectly acceptable type of meat for some people, I have no interest in it because of the pet/companion aspect. I don't care to eat dogs or cats either, for the same reason.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Bunnies are delicious.
    I SAW PEARL JAM