Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Back to work the day after my surgery.

Now I understand how women giving birth in the US feels like.
    Unless you pushed your appendix through the hole of your penis I don't think you have any clue what giving birth feels like.  ;)
    It's obvious ofc, but I'm taking about the piss poor treatment of parents (and small children) is in the US.

SWEDEN:
    3 months paid leave for each parent. 300 more days to share. 

USA:
    No paid leave. Max 12 weeks of unpaid parental leave.

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    Piss poor treatment?  What are you talking about?
    Both my wife and I both got six weeks paid leave (New Jersey) after my youngest song was born.  
    What am I talking about?

"This is one of the lowest levels of leave in the industrialized world. In comparison to other countries, the United States is one of the only countries in the world, and the only OECD member, that has not passed laws requiring business and corporations to offer paid maternity leave to their employees.[3]"
    You are obsessed bro. 
    how is it obsessing when he answered the question you asked him? how is it obsessing when all you wish for is for other humans to have the same benefits you have and can't undestand why a country so "rich" refuses to do this for its citizens, citizens who by and large can't afford these things out of pocket, and are proven to make society better, not make people lazier and "living off the government". no one is living off the government. they are paying taxes to a pool and people get benefits drawn from that pool. 

it's the same idea as "it takes a village to raise a child". why is it such a horrible concept for everyone to help each other? I have two loaves of bread, you have none, here, I'll give you half of one of mine. I still have enough for myself and mine of what I earned, but now I got to help another person who may not have had the same means as I did to earn my 2 loaves. 

it just amazes me that americans complain about so much, but when people outside their borders give suggestions regarding what has worked for them, they get their backs up and start shouting about how great america is.

are there ways that america does better than canada or sweden or other parts of europe? of course there are. I welcome those suggestions. I don't tell people they are obsessed with my country and that it wouldn't work because our countries aren't comparable. 

if someone starts a "is canada the greatest country in the world?", go ahead and comment as much as you wish. 

I mean he is obsessed with this thread.  Every day is something new.  He had an appendix removed and now he knows what it is like to give birth.  come on bro.  lol.  It isn't even close.  
    Why don't you just let him post in peace?? I've never seen anyone get so shit on like this specifically just because he's posting in a thread a lot. Obviously he's doing it because he has a lot to say and is interested. Debate what he's saying, but not the fact that he's saying it.

Let me speak for Scruffy.

It's not necessarily him (Spiritual). It's more the fact that what he's saying sucks to hear. Discovering your country blows is a drag. Bliss is best!
    The us definitely doesn’t suck.  We have room for improvement like anywhere else but it definitely isn’t as bad as some make it out to be.  
    The healthcare system sure is though, and so is the President and the general state of federal politics. I don't think anyone is exaggerating about those two horror shows at all. I would also argue that what people have to say about the harm the USA does internationally, in various ways, is overstated either, depending on how you look at it. The USA is a much different place when you look at it from the outside in rather than the inside out. And it's not a less valid perspective. Just a different one. And a more objective one, in many ways. You just have to accept that. No, that doesn't mean that everything in America sucks. Literally nobody thinks that. But you know, pointing out what sucks is simply way more useful than pointing out what doesn't, and, frankly, more interesting too.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,934
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Unless you pushed your appendix through the hole of your penis I don't think you have any clue what giving birth feels like.  ;)
    It's obvious ofc, but I'm taking about the piss poor treatment of parents (and small children) is in the US.

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    Both my wife and I both got six weeks paid leave (New Jersey) after my youngest song was born.  
    What am I talking about?

"This is one of the lowest levels of leave in the industrialized world. In comparison to other countries, the United States is one of the only countries in the world, and the only OECD member, that has not passed laws requiring business and corporations to offer paid maternity leave to their employees.[3]"
    You are obsessed bro. 
    how is it obsessing when he answered the question you asked him? how is it obsessing when all you wish for is for other humans to have the same benefits you have and can't undestand why a country so "rich" refuses to do this for its citizens, citizens who by and large can't afford these things out of pocket, and are proven to make society better, not make people lazier and "living off the government". no one is living off the government. they are paying taxes to a pool and people get benefits drawn from that pool. 

it's the same idea as "it takes a village to raise a child". why is it such a horrible concept for everyone to help each other? I have two loaves of bread, you have none, here, I'll give you half of one of mine. I still have enough for myself and mine of what I earned, but now I got to help another person who may not have had the same means as I did to earn my 2 loaves. 

it just amazes me that americans complain about so much, but when people outside their borders give suggestions regarding what has worked for them, they get their backs up and start shouting about how great america is.

are there ways that america does better than canada or sweden or other parts of europe? of course there are. I welcome those suggestions. I don't tell people they are obsessed with my country and that it wouldn't work because our countries aren't comparable. 

if someone starts a "is canada the greatest country in the world?", go ahead and comment as much as you wish. 

I mean he is obsessed with this thread.  Every day is something new.  He had an appendix removed and now he knows what it is like to give birth.  come on bro.  lol.  It isn't even close.  
    Why don't you just let him post in peace?? I've never seen anyone get so shit on like this specifically just because he's posting in a thread a lot. Obviously he's doing it because he has a lot to say and is interested. Debate what he's saying, but not the fact that he's saying it.

It's not necessarily him (Spiritual). It's more the fact that what he's saying sucks to hear. Discovering your country blows is a drag. Bliss is best!
    The us definitely doesn’t suck.  We have room for improvement like anywhere else but it definitely isn’t as bad as some make it out to be.  
    Maybe you would improve faster if you admit it does suck a bit more and is a bit more bad behind that patriotic "the greatest experiment in history and the only country with freedom of speech" sheen.

Some empathetic social democratic values would make you good.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

The healthcare system sure is though, and so is the President and the general state of federal politics. I don't think anyone is exaggerating about those two horror shows at all. I would also argue that what people have to say about the harm the USA does internationally, in various ways, is overstated either, depending on how you look at it. The USA is a much different place when you look at it from the outside in rather than the inside out. And it's not a less valid perspective. Just a different one. And a more objective one, in many ways. You just have to accept that. No, that doesn't mean that everything in America sucks. Literally nobody thinks that. But you know, pointing out what sucks is simply way more useful than pointing out what doesn't, and, frankly, more interesting too.
    Based on what you guys said today our healthcare definitely sucks if you don’t have good health insurance. Federal politics is better since the midterm elections. The president definitely sucks but no where as bad as W. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
     The president definitely sucks but no where as bad as W. 

Who would you trust the most with getting through a 4th graders math book?

Who acknowledged climate change of the two? 

Who knew what climate change even was of the two?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I think Trump is way worse than Bush, and yes, I remember everything Bush did. The difference is that Trump and his administration are FAR more incompetent than GW and his admin ever was. If that weren't the case, Trump and friends would have done far more damage IMO. So basically, people might hate GW more because he and the people he chose to surround himself with were NOT completely incompetent. How odd, lol.
    Frankly, I don't understand how anyone can think GW is worse. I acknowledge people really feel that way - I just can't relate, really, all things considered. And I do wonder if those who say that are really acknowledging all the shit Trump actually has managed to do/fuck up. Because I think a lot of what he's actually done and is doing is being completely obscured by his day-to-day ridiculousness, so all the real issues and all the crap that Trump has done or undone to America and the world's detriment aren't even a blip on people's radars, even though they should be (and I don't blame people for that really, but do with people would focus better). And then there is the obvious shit that people forget about too - the lies, what I can only call illegal activity being done right out in the open, the clear erosion of America's state of democracy, the dismantling of trade relations with all of America's biggest trading partners, the environmental deregulation .... etc etc etc etc etc. And lots of people are dying under Trump's watch too. And remember, Trump's only had a couple years. George had 8. Just wait. I can't even imagine all the horribleness that Trump could fit into 8 years.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why do so many Americans gripe about universal health care?  Are they that stupid?  Brainwashed?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Why do so many Americans gripe about universal health care?  Are they that stupid?  Brainwashed?
    I have to assume they're brainwashed. There is no other explanation that would make sense..... At least a fair number of them seem to be starting to realize it though.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What do my friends north of the border pay for healgh care a year?  Is it an itemized deduction on your pay Chevk?

In Ontario we have a health levy, it's not much ... its just extra tax.  You know what, even poor people get good treatment ... that's what matters.  I went to my doctor for a note last week, I was billed $0...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What do my friends north of the border pay for healgh care a year?  Is it an itemized deduction on your pay Chevk?

In Ontario we have a health levy, it's not much ... its just extra tax.  You know what, even poor people get good treatment ... that's what matters.  I went to my doctor for a note last week, I was billed $0...
    So it is an extra tax on what exactly? Like does the lottery pay for your health care? Toll roads?  
    Or what I am kind of thinking is Canada takes out 30% (whatever it may be) of your wages. You aren’t sure how much but a percentage goes to pay for health care. 
  • Options
    I'll never except private insurance for health care.  I have auto and home insurance, pisses me off that I have to pay these gangsters only to have to try and get out of paying claims...I imagine in the US them fuckers in insurance are looking for the same...Anyone who works for an insurance has no SOUL and can FUCKOFF...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

I would like to go in for my annual dermatologist appointment, just to be looked over for any possible abnormalities, as I'm considered high risk for melanoma due to a strong family history with it. That will also cost me $0. Last time I went she gave me a quick surgery right then and there too, to remove a couple spots that she thought might cause trouble someday down the road. Skin cancer prevention surgery on same day of evaluation = $0.
    Do we have some waiting lists for hip and knee replacements, and non-emergency scans? And sometimes a wait at an ER when it's not life or death? Yep, in some places, anyway. Small price to pay IMHO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I would like to go in for my annual dermatologist appointment, just to be looked over for any possible abnormalities, as I'm considered high risk for melanoma due to a strong family history with it. That will also cost me $0. Last time I went she gave me a quick surgery right then and there too, to remove a couple spots that she thought might cause trouble someday down the road. Skin cancer prevention surgery on same day of evaluation = $0.
    Are, dermatologist easy to get appointments to in BC?  Last time I saw one it was 9 months to get in... still was $0.  Get checked out, do not mess with skin cancer...are you fair. skinned.  My mother was, and she saw one 2 times a year.  I hope you did not have cancer and it was just preventative removal.  I have had that...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Are, dermatologist easy to get appointments to in BC?  Last time I saw one it was 9 months to get in... still was $0.  Get checked out, do not mess with skin cancer...are you fair. skinned.  My mother was, and she saw one 2 times a year.  I hope you did not have cancer and it was just preventative removal.  I have had that...
    I mean, easy, sure, but sometimes the wait is long if it's not important. The thing is, they'll bump you up if it seems like something urgent. I.e. a scary looking "thing" on someone at high risk for melanoma. When that happens to me my wait time goes from 6 months+ to 1 week automatically, because it can spread so fast (that's with my regular dermatologist though - it could be way less than 6 months with some other doctor .... the better the specialist, the longer the wait, obviously). And the same would be the case for something particularly painful or spreading/getting worse, etc. Luckily it's not a strictly first come, first serve system. They are very good when it comes giving those with urgent needs, or even potential urgent needs, priority. They're not going to let me die of melanoma because of a wait list if they can help it!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Do we have some waiting lists for hip and knee replacements, and non-emergency scans? And sometimes a wait at an ER when it's not life or death? Yep, in some places, anyway. Small price to pay IMHO.
    In the US we'd go to the dermatologist (probably after going to our primary care physician and paying a $30 co-pay for the visit and referral), and then pay our $30 co-pay for the office visit to the dermatologist. If a procedure was done, we'd likely be stuck with a bill for potentially hundreds of dollars it would cost, unless we had previously satisfied our $3,000+ deductible, in which case we'd still likely be on the hook for at least 20% of the bill as a co-pay/co-insurance. So even something that you just described could create a strain on many peoples' finances, especially during the holidays. More likely, we'd just ignore that funny looking mole until it became something more than a simple in-office procedure. At that point we'd really get to exercise our insurance policy, and throw down thousands of dollars. Lots of people put off simple, routine procedures as you just described due to finances, and then have more catastrophic issues (with both health and finances) to deal with later. Good times.

I just checked my policy for fun. A mole removal locally is about $270. I'd be required to pay about $160 of that. And that is after paying insurance premiums to the tune of ~$8400/yr. USA! USA! USA!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Change is scary. And conservatives never miss an opportunity to exploit people's fears. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I mean, easy, sure, but sometimes the wait is long if it's not important. The thing is, they'll bump you up if it seems like something urgent. I.e. a scary looking "thing" on someone at high risk for melanoma. When that happens to me my wait time goes from 6 months+ to 1 week automatically, because it can spread so fast (that's with my regular dermatologist though - it could be way less than 6 months with some other doctor .... the better the specialist, the longer the wait, obviously). And the same would be the case for something particularly painful or spreading/getting worse, etc. Luckily it's not a strictly first come, first serve system. They are very good when it comes giving those with urgent needs, or even potential urgent needs, priority. They're not going to let me die of melanoma because of a wait list if they can help it!
    That's the good thing about our health care...you may wait for non-emergency treatment, but if you need emergency treatment you will get it. We are not being left out in the cold to die...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I just got in to a dermatologist in less than three weeks, but I think she had just moved and opened up her practice so didn’t have a wait list yet. My issue was not urgent but also not completely routine because it was an undiagnosed skin lesion that didn’t look like a melanoma. I also got my diagnosis and got it removed with liquid nitrogen in about five minutes, no cost. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    @PJ_Soul the jury is still out on trump but I feel the country was more divided under W.  Iraq was a complete debacle.  I hated W and his entourage even more (rove, Cheney, rice, etc). 
    I do like your insight on trump; how much bad would/could they really do if they were in fact competent.  That s some scary stuff right there. 
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to assume they're brainwashed. There is no other explanation that would make sense..... At least a fair number of them seem to be starting to realize it though.
    I saw someone (they were from US) talking about this a while ago, and they put it down to the culture of people in the position of being able to afford it. They believe that they work hard for their money so why should they have to subsidise someone else who is on benefits or low income. All about looking out for number 1 and everyone else look after themselves, which is not how any country will prosper
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hope so...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

In the US we'd go to the dermatologist (probably after going to our primary care physician and paying a $30 co-pay for the visit and referral), and then pay our $30 co-pay for the office visit to the dermatologist. If a procedure was done, we'd likely be stuck with a bill for potentially hundreds of dollars it would cost, unless we had previously satisfied our $3,000+ deductible, in which case we'd still likely be on the hook for at least 20% of the bill as a co-pay/co-insurance. So even something that you just described could create a strain on many peoples' finances, especially during the holidays. More likely, we'd just ignore that funny looking mole until it became something more than a simple in-office procedure. At that point we'd really get to exercise our insurance policy, and throw down thousands of dollars. Lots of people put off simple, routine procedures as you just described due to finances, and then have more catastrophic issues (with both health and finances) to deal with later. Good times.

I just checked my policy for fun. A mole removal locally is about $270. I'd be required to pay about $160 of that. And that is after paying insurance premiums to the tune of ~$8400/yr. USA! USA! USA!
    That all just sounds so fucking complicated, on top of restrictively expensive - geez, it's like doing your taxes or something. What a pain in the ass. And I wouldn't be able to afford that. I do need the referral from a GP each time to see the specialist, but there is no cost for either, and no paperwork either or thinking about all that shit you just said. Thank goodness. I'd probably never see doctors if I had to go through all that, lol, and yeah, probably die of skin cancer, just like you said. I'm sure that kind of thing must happen all the time with such a system.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    @PJ_Soul the jury is still out on trump but I feel the country was more divided under W.  Iraq was a complete debacle.  I hated W and his entourage even more (rove, Cheney, rice, etc). 
    I do like your insight on trump; how much bad would/could they really do if they were in fact competent.  That s some scary stuff right there. 
    Do you really feel like the country was more divided under W??? Are you sure? Because it seems to me that people are more divided than ever now, and that Trump is making it worse by far. I do realize there was a divide when it came to the Iraq War, for obvious reasons, but I think Americans are more fundamentally divided now than back then.... looking at it from here of course.. But also having spoken to Americans a lot, and going there and seeing it for myself as well.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do you really feel like the country was more divided under W??? Are you sure? Because it seems to me that people are more divided than ever now, and that Trump is making it worse by far. I do realize there was a divide when it came to the Iraq War, for obvious reasons, but I think Americans are more fundamentally divided now than back then.... looking at it from here of course.. But also having spoken to Americans a lot, and going there and seeing it for myself as well.
    I do.  I feel today  social media really blows things out of poropration and creates more headaches than solutions and trump is totally taking advantage of this platform. To me it was definitely more divided back in ‘03 and ‘04. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do.  I feel today  social media really blows things out of poropration and creates more headaches than solutions and trump is totally taking advantage of this platform. To me it was definitely more divided back in ‘03 and ‘04. 
    Trump is by far the worst president ever. Many have faults some serious but trump is the only president that seems to want to destroy the fabric of what makes the USA the USA.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Trump is by far the worst president ever. Many have faults some serious but trump is the only president that seems to want to destroy the fabric of what makes the USA the USA.  
    I think you are mistaking him for James Buchanan. ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

Just busting your balls a bit, Scruffy! You know that.

Have you listened to Pigeon Camera yet? How about Locked in the Trunk of a Car?
    I have to check them out!  My kids have been keeping me real busy lately. One of my boys is trying out for basketball, I don’t know shit about basketball! Lol. But we ve been practicing   

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think you are mistaking him for James Buchanan. ;)
    Fun fact:

Buchanan was Ambassador to Russia and an anchor baby.  

That's about all he has in common with the Trump's.

(Millard Fillmore ran as the "Know-Nothing" candidate that election)
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So it is an extra tax on what exactly? Like does the lottery pay for your health care? Toll roads?  
    Or what I am kind of thinking is Canada takes out 30% (whatever it may be) of your wages. You aren’t sure how much but a percentage goes to pay for health care. 
    I can only speak for Ontario, all tax revenue, including health levy, goes into general coffers.    Dr's and specialist have negotiated a fee they charge the government.  Hospitals are given a budget, they are expected to live within the budget.  Most blood work is now done by private labs,  our health card covers that as well.  I look at this way, in my situation ... at least I never need to worry about dr bills.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Just a note, for perspective: I literally pay less in annual income tax than most of you Americans pay just for your health insurance premiums annually. I never thought of it like that before, but wow, that's shocking, given that you guys also pay income tax (and all the other taxes) on top of that. Time for you folks to start insisting on a better system, seriously.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    PJ_Soul said:
    Just a note, for perspective: I literally pay less in annual income tax than most of you Americans pay just for your health insurance premiums annually. I never thought of it like that before, but wow, that's shocking, given that you guys also pay income tax (and all the other taxes) on top of that. Time for you folks to start insisting on a better system, seriously.
    You are probably right. But this is lacking some serious data. You could be benefiting from the system more than most where you live. 
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.