Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• Brian I remember forests doing "controlled burns" years ago to get up the vegetation on the ground gone.  Not sure if that is still a thing?

I also hear people that want to thin out the trees more so they aren't so close together.  That doesn't work when you have 30mph winds.  The tree could be 100 yards away with that wind and still go up.

To protect the houses or give them a chance I would cut down some trees for a fire break.

Other than the super soaker planes I don't see a whole bunch that would prevent this?  It's always dry there and the winds always pick up so there are going to be big fires.

When I lived in socal the mountains would sometimes catch fire and the sage and tumbleweeds would all burn up and it was pretty massive.  I can't imagine what it's like with all these trees going up?
  • The pics of the cars that burned up with nothing really around them is scary as hell to me.  That means that there was some serious heat that lit them up...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Isn’t the main issue with the destruction of the fires due to firefighters being so effective in controlling past fires?   Kind of a Catch-22.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2018
    The sets to HBO's West world has burned down.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2018
    There are a lot of firefighters from TX (and other states too i’m sure) heading that way.  Hopefully the firefighters in Cali will get some much needed relief and the weather starts to cooperate soon.  It’s bittersweet that we have been getting plentiful moisture here in TX lately while you guys in Cali are dealing with such devastation.  Stay safe Brianlux and anyone else around here that are being directly effected by these fires, my heart goes out to you all! 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Brian I remember forests doing "controlled burns" years ago to get up the vegetation on the ground gone.  Not sure if that is still a thing?

I also hear people that want to thin out the trees more so they aren't so close together.  That doesn't work when you have 30mph winds.  The tree could be 100 yards away with that wind and still go up.

To protect the houses or give them a chance I would cut down some trees for a fire break.

Other than the super soaker planes I don't see a whole bunch that would prevent this?  It's always dry there and the winds always pick up so there are going to be big fires.

When I lived in socal the mountains would sometimes catch fire and the sage and tumbleweeds would all burn up and it was pretty massive.  I can't imagine what it's like with all these trees going up?
    Control burns still happen on a regular basis.  The problem is that here in the west, fire suppression was very active and efficient for about 100 years allowing huge amounts of fuel that would normally be burned off by smaller fire lite by lightning or intentionally set by Native Americans.

Yes, thinning trees may help but a large fire in a strong wind can send embers a long way into other dry vegetation.  The best way to prevent these large fires is to intentionally burn off lower growing vegetation which results in what is know as "reducing the fire ladder".  This can be done with control burning or, again, allowing Mother Nature to do the work naturally.  The problem is, we have built communities in places that should burn.  We have created our own nightmare in the west.
    Hero!  There have been many heroes in these fire situations. 

A number of years ago, we had a little taste of what it might be like driving through a fire.  We were up in El Dorado National Forest seeking out potential camp sites on a forest service road where dry camping is allowed.  We came upon a very large control burn alongside the road.  We had gone a good ways and were only about 1/2 mile from the main paved road and a forest service crewman said no problem, he would lead us through the burn area on the forest service dirt road.  As we followed him into the burn area, the heat became very intense through the window glass and at one point we were driving nearly blind through thick smoke.  For about 100 yards I could not see the road at all.    All I could see was smoke and the faint glow of the forest service truck's tail lights (thank goodness he had thought to turn on his lights!).  If his lights hadn't been on, I could have driven off the road into the fire.  We got through OK but the F.S. guy looked very nervous.  I don't think he realized how big the control burn was.  We never ratted the guy out but he would probably have lost his job if we had.  I doubt he ever did that again!
    Jason P said:
    Isn’t the main issue with the destruction of the fires due to firefighters being so effective in controlling past fires?   Kind of a Catch-22.  
    Exactly!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    unsung said:

I am on the UC Davis campus just a few minutes ago and witnessed a passenger in this vehicle toss out a still smoking cigarette butt.

If you can't get Californians to care about wildfires...
    I know this is an old post, but... this is SUPER illegal. If anyone ever sees someone doing this in drought conditions/in fire ban areas, take down the license and report it to the cops. They won't be able to press charges unless you managed to film it happening, but they can still do a report and maybe issue a warning, and at least if the same person keeps getting reported, they can act.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I was just on another forum and guy from the bay area said its smokey there as well?  Does that seem right?
    Even BC sometimes gets smoke from California.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    tbergs said:
    I never said what he said was right.  In fact I said the opposite.  

But I also see people, like yourself, say "all we should be doing no is helping the people"...seems like the same argument used against talking about gun control after an incident.  There are a multitude of reasons/causes etc.  But I'd also like to know what people are doing to try and avoid this in the future.  What can be done, what do they need, or maybe where should we stop building communities.
    You make a good point, but as a counter argument, no one can actively have a conversation about how to prevent said emergency from occurring again when it is still actively happening. It would be akin to having a gun control conversation while the active shooter was still active. Let's get people to safety and reign in the devastation before deciding where we should and shouldn't build new homes.
    Hey - missed this earlier.  It's a good argument.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    https://apple.news/AVJp7AbCCRwadnixE1lmG7w
    What do you do when a community suffers devastation like these fires ? You threaten them that’s what PRP does best threaten people...
    I'm absolutely at a loss for words. 
    Pretty much, yeah. What else can you say? What's worse than a vile piece of human garbage? How can you even discuss the implications behind a POTUS saying such a thing? It's so hard because it would be like the neverending discussion.
    edited November 2018
    Maybe these aren't the best areas to build communities in?  New Orleans is a great example. 
    So like basically all of California isn't the best place to build communities in? They are in a 7 year drought, and counting. There was nothing wrong with these communities when they were built.
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe these aren't the best areas to build communities in?  New Orleans is a great example. 
    So like basically all of California isn't the best place to build communities in? They are in a 7 year drought, and counting. There was nothing wrong with these communities when they were built.
    Ummm, yeah there kinda was.  Where do they get their water from?

You can't seriously be arguing that california can hold the number of people it does safely?  I mean, this issue seems to be pretty obvious.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    That somewhat seems irrelevant. Just because a community depends on more distant reservoirs it doesn't mean they live in a place rendered uninhabitable due to wildfires. My point was that their communities never used to burn to the ground and there weren't constant devastating wildfires raging through the entire state basically all the time. Now there is. And that is because of their 7 year drought, and counting. Don't get me wrong - I think vast regions of California are indeed uninhabitable now, and I think anyone buying there at the point has got to be crazy. I think everyone should get the fuck out of there at this point, because I think the tipping point has been passed. California is basically done for. My point was simply that the extent of this problem did not precede the building of those communities.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That somewhat seems irrelevant. Just because a community depends on more distant reservoirs it doesn't mean they live in a place rendered uninhabitable due to wildfires. My point was that their communities never used to burn to the ground and there weren't constant devastating wildfires raging through the entire state basically all the time. Now there is. And that is because of their 7 year drought, and counting. Don't get me wrong - I think vast regions of California are indeed uninhabitable now, and I think anyone buying there at the point has got to be crazy. I think everyone should get the fuck out of there at this point, because I think the tipping point has been passed. California is basically done for. My point was simply that the extent of this problem did not precede the building of those communities.
    Yeah but mudslides, smog, water shortages...oh and that fault line all say it's a bad place to settle. But you know...the temperatures are awesome and there's mountains and ocean so we do it anyhow!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah but mudslides, smog, water shortages...oh and that fault line all say it's a bad place to settle. But you know...the temperatures are awesome and there's mountains and ocean so we do it anyhow!
    Vancouver fires, Washington fires and Montana fires.

All of those places don't suffer the same fate as Cali except the lack of rainfall.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just as a point of reference, where I am right now the humidity is 9% (nine, that's not a typo) and wind is 15mph with stronger gusts; 76 degrees. I feel like a discarded snakeskin left lying in the sun. It is hotter, drier, and windier inland. Last time, it was much warmer here -- the air outdoors felt exactly like it does when I open the oven -- and I was really worried. The concern is that conditions will continue to grow hotter and drier, with less and less precipitation.
    I'm in West Hollywood (about 35 miles from the So. Cal. fires), and now we've got that 9% humidity and 74 degrees.  The smoke has drifted over our way (or could be typical smog - who knows?) and the blue skies here paint a picture prettier than the reality over the ridge of mountains.

Kind of tough to get my head around what these communities are experiencing.  It's overwhelming to think about and see these images and learn of people's stories...let alone live through them.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

All of those places don't suffer the same fate as Cali except the lack of rainfall.
    Wasn't talking about just fires though...neither was the original comment unless you think New Orleans has a huge problem with fires. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wasn't talking about just fires though...neither was the original comment unless you think New Orleans has a huge problem with fires. 
    Just general location then, like living near a volcano?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just general location then, like living near a volcano?
    Yeah - human overpopulation in an area that has a lot of issues and likely shouldn't have that many people.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well okay, I really don't think it's practical to not live in any place that has any risk of any natural disaster, ever. Possible earthquakes or possible volcano eruptions are a lot different than constant, year-round wildfires, every year.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well okay, I really don't think it's practical to not live in any place that has any risk of any natural disaster, ever. Possible earthquakes or possible volcano eruptions are a lot different than constant, year-round wildfires, every year.
    So a while back, I was giving you shit about living somewhere with such a risk of earthquakes.  That same week there was a 4.0 near where I live, lol. It didn’t really damage anything, but the fact we had just debated it made me chuckle.

PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So a while back, I was giving you shit about living somewhere with such a risk of earthquakes.  That same week there was a 4.0 near where I live, lol. It didn’t really damage anything, but the fact we had just debated it made me chuckle.

I remember, lol.
    Oh really? You felt it then? What are your thoughts? I personally found the two earthquakes I ever felt (no damage from either) very scary, but also very interesting.
    Where do you live?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

I am on the UC Davis campus just a few minutes ago and witnessed a passenger in this vehicle toss out a still smoking cigarette butt.

If you can't get Californians to care about wildfires...
    I know this is an old post, but... this is SUPER illegal. If anyone ever sees someone doing this in drought conditions/in fire ban areas, take down the license and report it to the cops. They won't be able to press charges unless you managed to film it happening, but they can still do a report and maybe issue a warning, and at least if the same person keeps getting reported, they can act.

it is also littering, and gross
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You are right, California doesn’t have anything special about it. Yawn

hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was just on another forum and guy from the bay area said its smokey there as well?  Does that seem right?
    Are you not worried about asthma or respiratory illnesses.  Asthma sucks, Dad and sister have it.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Huh? I don't even know what you mean by this. I certainly wasn't saying that.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are you not worried about asthma or respiratory illnesses.  Asthma sucks, Dad and sister have it.  
    It's a problem for some people. I'm definitely concerned about them - it's a serious hardship for some folks (only very unpleasant for people without such issues). I don't have any issues like that personally and neither does anyone in my family.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Huh? I don't even know what you mean by this. I certainly wasn't saying that.
    Special considerations as to why it’s not a great place to settle as heavily as we have.

hippiemom = goodness