Global warming

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Woohoo!  Just donated to the Honnold Foundation (fights impacts of climate change) for a chance to climb at Yosemite with Alex Honnold!
    Woohoo indeed! That would be amazing. I’m guessing Canadians aren’t eligible but I’ll check out the foundation anyway, as I’ve been meaning to do since seeing Free Solo. 

You'll be using ropes though, right? ;) 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rgambs said:
    Woohoo!  Just donated to the Honnold Foundation (fights impacts of climate change) for a chance to climb at Yosemite with Alex Honnold!
    I climbed next to him once at my climbing gym.
    Once I realized who it was I just sat and watched.

Good luck
    I would just watch, too. 
    rgambs said:
    Woohoo indeed! That would be amazing. I’m guessing Canadians aren’t eligible but I’ll check out the foundation anyway, as I’ve been meaning to do since seeing Free Solo. 

You'll be using ropes rhough, right? ;) 
    Just checked and it is international, so I entered, too.

Good luck to us both ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    rgambs said:
    Awesome!
    rgambs said:
    I climbed next to him once at my climbing gym.
    Once I realized who it was I just sat and watched.

Good luck
    Wow!   Cool!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Rgambs, I think you’ve said that you mostly climb outside. Do you have a gym, too? 

Bentleyspop, which gym do you climb at? 

And do you guys mostly boulder, top rope or lead?  I’m doing about 50/50 bouldering and top roping right now. I used to lead and then changed gyms and haven’t yet gotten back in with a regular group of belay partners who want to lead. I think I might just retake the lead course to brush up. 
    Rgambs, I think you’ve said that you mostly climb outside. Do you have a gym, too? 

And do you guys mostly boulder, top rope or lead?  I’m doing about 50/50 bouldering and top roping right now. I used to lead and then changed gyms and haven’t yet gotten back in with a regular group of belay partners who want to lead. I think I might just retake the lead course to brush up. 
    How cool!  I sooo miss doing that kind of activity! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

No gym, I top rope with a static rappel rope lol 
    There's only one decent wall near me, an hour away.  I used to go a few times a year and do a couple easy routes.  It's been a few years, I could barely send a 5.8 last time I went, but I'm 40 lbs lighter and much stronger now.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

I actually don't currently climb due to injury.
    My local gym was Movement in Boulder.
    https://movementgyms.com

I used to mix it up. Mostly top rope, some lead, and some bouldering.

I actually don't currently climb due to injury.
    My local gym was Movement in Boulder.
    https://movementgyms.com

I used to mix it up. Mostly top rope, some lead, and some bouldering.
    Oh, damn - sorry to hear you’re injured. I hope you get back at it in due course. They looks like a good gym. I’d like to take that Power-Endurance course myself. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
    "says a draft management plan from the territorial government that contradicts much of conventional scientific thinking."

That should give you your answer right there.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    But but but the president says there is no climate change.....

Climate change will have dire consequences for US, federal report concludes

• But but but the president says there is no climate change.....

I just read this and came here to post too...
    But but but the president says there is no climate change.....

Its flat out ludicrous to hear anyone deny global warming and even more so when a major world leader is in denial.  But is he really?  Or is it just that he likes to troll on Twitter and/or be contrary? 

What people's though on hybrid electric?

I'd like to make my Jeep the last entirely gas car ... but I can not afford an all-electric car.  My jeep is a 07, I can only afford used ... yes some of us are on the low-income scale.   Are used hybrid electric worth the buy...any info is appreciated.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hybrids and full electrics won't be affordable until they are mass produced.
    and for them to be mass produced, there has to be a market.
    to be a market, they have to be affordable to the masses.
    to be affordable to the masses, they have to be mass produced.
    to be mass produced.......
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hybrids and full electrics won't be affordable until they are mass produced.
    and for them to be mass produced, there has to be a market.
    to be a market, they have to be affordable to the masses.
    to be affordable to the masses, they have to be mass produced.
    to be mass produced.......
    I am talking more along the lines of used?  But your post is funny...
    Give Peas A Chance…

I'd like to make my Jeep the last entirely gas car ... but I can not afford an all-electric car.  My jeep is a 07, I can only afford used ... yes some of us are on the low-income scale.   Are used hybrid electric worth the buy...any info is appreciated.
    I have a hybrid (Prius) and it gets great gas mileage- on a level highway at 65 MGH (104.6 KPH) I can get around 50 miles per gallon (21.257 KPL). Plus I fully expect it will run well for up to at least 300,000 miles.

But all cars come with a cost to the environment.  It takes about 120,000 gallons of water to make a small car SUV's, far more).  Hybrid and electric car batteries us heavy metals (the mining of which is terrible for the environment) and/or highly toxic lead acid batteries.

Hybrids and electrics are a step up from all-gas vehicles but the best solutions are public transportation (especially trains which can move more weight per energy unit than any other form of transportation besides walking), walkable city centers, fewer suburbs (thus less commuting), no drive days, and ride sharing/ car pooling.

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    This is just Australia's eastern states this week. 
    One extreme to another...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159215649539988&id=72924719987 
    brianlux said:

I have a hybrid (Prius) and it gets great gas mileage- on a level highway at 65 MGH (104.6 KPH) I can get around 50 miles per gallon (21.257 KPL). Plus I fully expect it will run well for up to at least 300,000 miles.

But all cars come with a cost to the environment.  It takes about 120,000 gallons of water to make a small car SUV's, far more).  Hybrid and electric car batteries us heavy metals (the mining of which is terrible for the environment) and/or highly toxic lead acid batteries.

Hybrids and electrics are a step up from all-gas vehicles but the best solutions are public transportation (especially trains which can move more weight per energy unit than any other form of transportation besides walking), walkable city centers, fewer suburbs (thus less commuting), no drive days, and ride sharing/ car pooling.

You heard of the romaine lettuce recall ... according to CBC news lettuce is not particularly good for the environment and is considered a nutritional lightweight...

I am rural.  Public transportation is not an option, and I am not living in any city ever again.  I like my rural paradise.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

You heard of the romaine lettuce recall ... according to CBC news lettuce is not particularly good for the environment and is considered a nutritional lightweight...

I am rural.  Public transportation is not an option, and I am not living in any city ever again.  I like my rural paradise.  
    Yeah, lettuce requires a ton of water and provides little nutrition. 
    Spinach is a bit better.
    Neither are heavy feeders though so that's good.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, lettuce requires a ton of water and provides little nutrition. 
    Spinach is a bit better.
    Neither are heavy feeders though so that's good.  
    I am certainly no food expert.  The same news piece also went onto say that sweet potato has lots of nutrients and a good to feed the poor. 

Are you a farmer?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    Of course potatoes and other similar foods are by far the best. They grown underground so aren't as vulnerable to weather, they take less watering than greens, they store relatively well, there is a very high yield per acre, they are filling, and carry nutrients, and grow quickly. There is a reason the Irish depended so heavily on the potato... I'm actually rather amazed that it's not more popular on a global scale. They're much easier to farm than rice, have a much higher yield require FAR less water. It beats out wheat by a long shot in all of these areas too (not in fat content though - wheat has way way more fat calories). Even the UN supports the potato farming as the new global staple. Literally the ONLY thing stopping this very very very good idea is people's eating habits.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    My brother is a farmer and he told me red leaf lettuce has more nutrients than any other lettuces (but not as much as some greens).  Iceberg is a total waste of time.

PJ_Soul said:
    Of course potatoes and other similar foods are by far the best. They grown underground so aren't as vulnerable to weather, they take less watering than greens, they store relatively well, there is a very high yield per acre, they are filling, and carry nutrients, and grow quickly. There is a reason the Irish depended so heavily on the potato... I'm actually rather amazed that it's not more popular on a global scale. They're much easier to farm than rice, have a much higher yield require FAR less water. It beats out wheat by a long shot in all of these areas too (not in fat content though - wheat has way way more fat calories). Even the UN supports the potato farming as the new global staple. Literally the ONLY thing stopping this very very very good idea is people's eating habits.
    Yeah, root veges, good!  Carrots, great!

Was it this thread we were talking about people wanting trucks and SUVs rather than fuel efficient vehicles? 

This article has info on a new company gearing up to produce electric SUVs and trucks for 2020. Pricey, but then again new trucks and SUVs are pricey anyway. 

http://news.mit.edu/2018/rivian-electric-vehicles-1130
    Was it this thread we were talking about people wanting trucks and SUVs rather than fuel efficient vehicles? 

This article has info on a new company gearing up to produce electric SUVs and trucks for 2020. Pricey, but then again new trucks and SUVs are pricey anyway. 

http://news.mit.edu/2018/rivian-electric-vehicles-1130
    Pricy.  That's the sticker price in US dollars.  Add 20 000 + taxes in Canada and that's an 80-90 grand vehicle.  Until electric vehicles become affordable, they will just be for the wealthy.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • OK so I am a believer in Climate change.

I have other people telling me otherwise and that the world is in a natural change and that humans can't possibly be a reason for changing weather.  The earths core is cooling, the moon is going further away from earth an inch more every year, volcanoes put more C02 in the air than humans ever could and these are reasons for changing weather patterns.

Yet when a person like Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about climate change and the effects it has and how we get there they won't listen...

Shame
    OK so I am a believer in Climate change.

I have other people telling me otherwise and that the world is in a natural change and that humans can't possibly be a reason for changing weather.  The earths core is cooling, the moon is going further away from earth an inch more every year, volcanoes put more C02 in the air than humans ever could and these are reasons for changing weather patterns.

Yet when a person like Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about climate change and the effects it has and how we get there they won't listen...

Shame
    Those other people you refer to are probably people who don't understand what scientists do, how they do what they do and why they do what they do.  Some of them probably hold to the notion that most scientists are in it for the money or do what they do for political reasons.  Those types of people would do well to spend some time with some science oriented people and get a better understanding what what they are generally about.

As much as I applaud the general notion here, this sounds a bit like rebels without a clue to me.  We can talk about climate change/ global warming all day long but without a plan and , more importantly, without action, what's the point?

"A star-studded progressive town hall on climate change drew thousands of viewers online and hundreds in person – but offered little insight into how the US left might overcome Republican opposition and lay the groundwork to limit rising temperatures..."

"In the event, neither lawmaker discussed details or how to pursue them when Donald Trump has denied manmade climate change, planned to exit an international climate pact and slashed environmental protections."

Now I see why smart cars get such good gas mileage...
    Give Peas A Chance…