Options

A Path with Art & Pearl Jam Collaboration Limited - Edition Poster Exhibition

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,732
edited December 2022 in The Porch

Unpacking Homelessness

A Path with Art & Pearl Jam Collaboration

LImited - Edition Poster Exhibition 

Path with Art Student Artists who have lived experience of homelessness are designing a limited-edition series of posters for partners of Pearl Jam’s The Home Shows. Only two students’ designs will be selected for distribution, but Path with Art will showcase all of the posters the students create starting Thursday, August 2nd at their gallery in Pioneer Square.

Mike McCready, the lead guitarist for Pearl Jam, shared his perspective: "I think it’s really important to recognize that people who have experienced homelessness have skills and talents. Art not only breaks down barriers, but can also be a means to heal the trauma that can be caused by experiencing homelessness."
B_2_Backpackjpg

The artists who designed the posters come from diverse backgrounds, but the majority have found themselves living on the street at some point in their lives, and all have found solace in the arts. One artist, Aaron, designed a poster around his beloved purple backpack, which was stolen a few years ago from where he was sleeping – under a bridge adjacent to Safeco Field, the site of the upcoming Pearl Jam Home Shows.

An artist whose current neighbors have no idea that she was once homeless said she wanted to convey the feeling of being indefinitely stuck, and designed a poster showing a sneaker stuck to the ground by a wad of gum. Another artist who goes by B. confided, “I saw this as an opportunity for giving a voice to those who couldn’t speak or are living in silence. I saw this opportunity where my voice, artwork, and experience would be respected.”

G_3_GumShoejpg

Path with Art transforms the lives of people in recovery from homelessness, addiction, and other trauma by harnessing the power of creative engagement as a bridge to community and a path to stability. Students are referred to Path with Art from over 30 social service partners in the greater Seattle area. Many of these social services work hard and directly on the issue of housing, but understand homelessness is a complex issue with many facets, and it requires a diverse range of support in response.

When asked about the connection between art and homelessness, Path with Art Student Artist Angela Michaelina shared, “Art can act as an anchor for humanity—when you’re homeless, you lose your humanity, but being able to create art during a time of homelessness can be restoring.” Another student confided, “I am not defined by being homeless. I am defined by my present, creating art.”

The posters will be on display August 2nd, 8th, and 10th, 5-7 PM, or by appointment through the month of August at Path with Art (312 2nd Avenue South, Seattle, 98104).

Special thanks to Teaching Artist Jennifer Dixon, and Creative Mentors Mimi Dixon-Shapiro and Celeste Osborne for facilitating this project.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Print them. Sell them. And give the money to those artists.  I like them
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2018

pathwithart - Mike McCready of @pearljam hanging out with student artist Aaron Hill at #UnpackingHomelessness. Thanks for stopping by!...#TheHomeShows #pearljam #theevergrey

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

The posters will be on display August 2nd, 8th, and 10th, 5-7 PM, or by appointment through the month of August at Path with Art (312 2nd Avenue South, Seattle, 98104).

Wish they were doing this on August 9! Maybe I'll tweet them...
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Suziemay said:

Please let us know what the outcome is. Would love to stop by and see this. Love that Octopus drawing. Reading the tentacles really hit a nerve....in an eye opening kind of way.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay said:

Please let us know what the outcome is. Would love to stop by and see this. Love that Octopus drawing. Reading the tentacles really hit a nerve....in an eye opening kind of way.
    No response so far. Maybe others who are interested could also tweet to get their attention? I’m surprised no one at PJ Central pointed out that they will likely not get the PJ fans at those times. I would really like to see it. I guess I could make an appointment for a private viewing...
  • Options
    PATH WITH ART & PEARL JAM

Thank you to Pearl Jam for lifting up the issue of homelessness, presenting it from a different perspective, and elevating the voices of artists who have experienced homelessness. By banding together, more than 190 partners and 5,000 individuals have committed over $11 million to fight homelessness in Seattle and King County, and shine a spotlight on this growing issue.

It's been a busy month here at Path with Art. Read on to learn about our involvement in The Home Shows and hear from Student Artists who have experienced homelessness. Special thanks to Mike McCready and Ashley O'Connor McCready, Nicole Vandenberg, and Pyramid Communications for supporting Path with Art, attending our exhibition opening, and spending time with the artists!

ON KEXP: THE HEALING POWER OF MUSIC & COMMUNITY
    “[Music is] a way to face my fear of being out in front of people, of connecting to people, of being vulnerable and authentic, being okay with the mistakes that I make, because I’m going to make mistakes – I’m a human being.” KEXP shared stories from local organizations working to combat homelessness in Seattle in honor of The Home Shows, and featured Path with Art on the Afternoon Show with Kevin Cole. Listen here.

KING 5 EVENING NEWS: "LOCAL ARTISTS PARTNER WITH PEARL JAM" 
    King 5 Evening News talked to Path with Art Student Artists about their experience with homelessness, and with Executive Director Holly Jacobson about the power of art for recovery and our involvement in The Home Shows.

• Options
    STUDENT ARTIST AARON HILL IN THE EVERGREY
    "I’ve never been more busy than just being homeless. If you just interact with somebody in a friendly way, just acknowledge them, that can improve someone’s day, you know?" Read an interview with PwA Student Artist Aaron Hill about his experience with homelessness and what inspired the design for his evocative poster in The Evergrey.
    UNPACKING HOMELESSNESS:
    A PATH WITH ART & PEARL JAM COLLABORATION

WHEN: By appointment through August 27th. 
    WHERE: Path with Art, 312 2nd Ave S
    Last month, Path with Art Student Artists with lived experience of homelessness designed a series of posters for partners of Pearl Jam’s The Home Shows. These posters will be up in our gallery space through the month of August – if you haven’t seen them yet, come on down! And catch some photos below of what you missed at the opening.

• Options

• Options

onefestivalha

The @pearljam #homeshows posters designed by students from @pathwithart an amazing organisation in #seattle working with people affected by homelessness. These posters were a collaboration with the band Pearl Jam and we were honoured to show them all in London UK 🇬🇧 #makeachangetoday #collaboration #makeachange #communityart #pearljam #pathwithart #art #artistsoninstagram #artists #homeless #graphicdesign #tourposters #greatart #illustration #musicindustry #makingart

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

If you are looking for a special gift for an art or music lover in your family, email us and pick up a Limited Edition Pearl Jam "Homeshow" poster made by Participant Artists in collaboration with Pearl Jam. Each of these collectible works holds a unique story of human resilience, and all the proceeds benefit the artists themselves and the work of Path with Art.

So if you want a gift that feels good to give (and is really cool too!), please email us at artworks@pathwithart.org
    and pick up one of these limited-edition prints!

Learn more about this special collaboration at link in bio
    #pearljam #gifts
    42m

• Options

We have these really cool Limited Edition posters at the ArtHOME made by Participant Artists in collaboration with Pearl Jam. Each of these collectible works holds a unique story of human resilience and they. if you have a music lover in your family and need a gift that feels good to give, please email us at artworks@pathwithart.org and pick up one of these unique works of art!