Options

Neil Young has a live Mirrorball film in his Archives

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
I posted about this in the Official Neil Young Thread, but I figured it was worth a mention on The Porch as well.

Neil and his Archives team have been regularly answering questions from fans on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of his NYA Times-Contrarian newspaper. Someone asked if there was any video available from the Mirrorball era...

"The Mirrorball songs... are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"

The Hearse Theater is part of Neil's Archives site that screens concert videos and occasionally live streams shows (there's an awesome new solo version of 'Ohio' on there right now). The Archives site is free for now, but once the subscriptions launch the Hearse Theater will only be accessible to paying members. No word yet about whether or not any of the Hearse stuff will be released to purchase or download, but it's good to know they are working on the Mirrorball era.
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    Cool. Would love to see it someday. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    A live record would be killer.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

Yes
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    At long last. Something from this show. Was supposed to be released as a live album at the time. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,740
    Neat! =)
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Awesome! :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    What does "formatting" mean?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MIRRORBALL II in 2019. LETS GO NYPJ!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Neilism for getting it ready for digital streaming, probably has a bit of getting 16mm film into a proper digital format that he is comfortable with too.  The  man is particular to a fault.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    There is a great audience bootleg of this show.  So, interested to see how much of the footage they actually drop

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    Neilism for getting it ready for digital streaming, probably has a bit of getting 16mm film into a proper digital format that he is comfortable with too.  The  man is particular to a fault.  
    Was it shot on 16?

Any chance a vinyl release of this show will be released also? Or a Bluray release? Or are we talking proarbly just a streamed version on his site?
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,599
    PB11041 said:
    Was it shot on 16?

Any chance a vinyl release of this show will be released also? Or a Bluray release? Or are we talking proarbly just a streamed version on his site?
    I wouldn't count on much more than streaming.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kramer73 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Was it shot on 16?

I wouldn't count on much more than streaming.
    I would think there’s a better chance of getting a CD/vinyl release from this tour than a blu ray. Nothing that has been streamed in the Hearse Theater has been made available to buy yet, so it looks like video will just be streaming for now.

The live Archives vinyl releases have been from random years so far, and some have been tour compilations or incomplete shows, so we may get the Dublin show one day or a mixed-show compilation release.

On the other hand, Neil could go off on another tangent and we may not see it for years!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    mfc2006 said:

Yes
    Yes, please. Let's get back to the fucking music. I'm so GD sick of posters, merch, etc., etc., etc., talk dominating this board.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    Vinyl please!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    very cool
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    BabylonkidBabylonkid Los Angeles Posts: 2
    Video please. I want to watch this.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PB11041 said:
    Was it shot on 16?

Neil generally had his people shoot in 16, I am just hazarding a guess, I have no definitive evidence on this particular show.

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    Isn't some of this footage in the PJ20 movie?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Isn't some of this footage in the PJ20 movie?
    Yep, brief clip.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    PB11041 said:
    There is a great audience bootleg of this show.  So, interested to see how much of the footage they actually drop
    Any links to DL?
  • Options
    Rockin from Dublin is in PJ20, we’ll the kids are 20 version. Film was done by same dude who did the 95 Australia and Japan PJ film that was never officially released. 

Hope the full version gets released!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    edited November 2018
    jamhead64 said:
    Rockin from Dublin is in PJ20, we’ll the kids are 20 version. Film was done by same dude who did the 95 Australia and Japan PJ film that was never officially released. 

Hope the full version gets released!
    I thought it was award winning director Jim Sheridan who did the Dublin film? Did he do the Pj video in Australia/Asia?
  • Options
    MTV in 1995:

"ATN just got word that Neil Young recorded his Dublin concert last

month (performing with Pearl Jam as his back-up band) with an eye to

releasing it either later this year, or in early 1996. According to

Young's manager, Elliot Roberts, Academy Award winning director, Jim

Sheridan (My Left Foot) filmed the concert, with plans to

release the footage as part of a package with the recording. Warner's

uber-publicist, Bob Merlis, informs us that it would be unlikely that a

live album would be released without the film. "Let's just say that

the album would be driven by the film, rather than the other way

around." According to Merlis, no one has seen the footage yet--but he

asks the rhetorical question, "How bad could it be, the guy has an

academy award, he knows what he's doing.""

• Options
    MKSNYC said:
    PB11041 said:
    Any links to DL?
    Can you pm me, I am terrible with my memory, but I can rip my discs and send you a link

• Options
    I want to see it for Jack irons drumming.  I'm the ocean from Austria is amazing. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Jack Irons in general is awesome- don’t start me one why he’s the best drummer PJ ever had....
  • Options
    I sent a couple of vinyl Archives questions in to the ‘Letters To The Editor’ page recently and they’ve just been answered. 

Neil confirmed that they do have live recordings from the Mirrorball tour, so there’s hope for a possible future vinyl release :)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,740
    goldrush said:
    I sent a couple of vinyl Archives questions in to the ‘Letters To The Editor’ page recently and they’ve just been answered. 

Neil confirmed that they do have live recordings from the Mirrorball tour, so there’s hope for a possible future vinyl release :)

I hope MirrorBall Live cries out to be released.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    demetrios said: I hope MirrorBall Live cries out to be released.

+1 :rock_on:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024