***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    What time did they hit the stage and how long was their set? 
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    I saw them earlier this year in Dallas as part of a day fest.  Wasn't anything exciting but I thought Jeff sounded just fine in those songs.  They are playing a free show 20 minutes away from me tonight so i'm gonna check it out
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CPR7 said:
    10:05, as scheduled, and played till about 11:30 I think it was. 

it's always funny to me how bands SCHEDULE an encore. I mean, even when half the crowd has left and there's barely an audible cheer for the band to come back out....and they do anyway. this was the case. i was happy they came back out, mind you, but man, I feel kinda bad for them. These guys just can't hold the interest of a crowd without Scott. Talk Show failed. Army of Anyone failed. And I don't see this incarnation of STP being any differentt, unfortunately. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    CPR7 said:

it's always funny to me how bands SCHEDULE an encore. I mean, even when half the crowd has left and there's barely an audible cheer for the band to come back out....and they do anyway. this was the case. i was happy they came back out, mind you, but man, I feel kinda bad for them. These guys just can't hold the interest of a crowd without Scott. Talk Show failed. Army of Anyone failed. And I don't see this incarnation of STP being any differentt, unfortunately. 
    Maybe an anomoly? Big crowds, lots of noise for them on the tour overall. At least their Instagram posts over the summer, etc., communicated a very different vibe.
    www.cluthelee.com
    CPR7 said:

Maybe an anomoly? Big crowds, lots of noise for them on the tour overall. At least their Instagram posts over the summer, etc., communicated a very different vibe.
    I hope so. But then I thought it was weird that Dean said we were the best show of the Canadian tour so far. I know that bands always say shit like that, but how he did it was different than how most bands pander to the crowd. it seemed out of character for him to go to Jeff's mic, and somewhat uncomfortably, and seemingly sincerely, state that to the crowd. I've never seen Dean talk to the crowd before. 

It was mostly a combination of things. What struck me most was how many people left after Seether. 

I would also imagine what a band sees is much different than what someone in the crowd might see. I mean, I've been on a stage, and I couldn't see shit farther than 5 feet in front of me. So maybe the folks at the front were awesome. I don't know. I was pretty far back, so my experience could have been affected by that, absolutely, however I had a completely panoramic view from a bird's eye. I was also stone-cold sober, and I've been to a lot of shows, so I'm pretty sure my read was accurate. But hey, I could be wrong. 

I really do hope they succeed. I honestly do. I love the Deleos music. Especially Robert's. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CPR7 said:

Thanks for the reviews man. Much appreciated 
    So HFD pretty much summed it up. Seether sucked fucking ass they were horrid. No crowd interaction no energy they just stood up there played their music and left. 

STP was as I expected. Greatest Hits set list that has been copy and paste for the whole tour. JG was trying way too hard to be SW. From the clothes, dance moves and crowd interaction. My brother said at one point it looked like we were watching a tribute band. I feel like the crowd felt the same way but out of respect for the other band members they went easy on Jeff. Overall it was okay but I will not be rushing out the door to see this incarnation again. I really feel for the DeLeo brothers and Eric. You can tell that they were truly appreciative of the applause and love the crowd gave back to them but playing in a half empty theatre with a capacity of just under 2000 has to be a sign.
  • CPR7 said:
    So HFD pretty much summed it up. Seether sucked fucking ass they were horrid. No crowd interaction no energy they just stood up there played their music and left. 
    Not been able to see them live yet, but Seethers most recent album Poison the Parish is still fannnfuckingtastic. 

...if a lead singer passes on, so should the band. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited November 2018
    CPR7 said:
    Not been able to see them live yet, but Seethers most recent album Poison the Parish is still fannnfuckingtastic. 

...if a lead singer passes on, so should the band. 
    meh, it's just a name used for marketing purposes. most people didn't know who the fuck Talk Show was because the label didn't get behind it. if they had been called STP, damn straight that record would have done way better. bands can't depend on the 1% of weirdos (me) who seek out music news from the far reaches of the web. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

listening to those unreleased demos Eric leaked to the net when they broke up. such good songs. hopefully they get an official release one day. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    listening to those unreleased demos Eric leaked to the net when they broke up. such good songs. hopefully they get an official release one day. 
    I somehow missed those! Can you do me a solid and point me in their direction?
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    DC29940 said:
    I somehow missed those! Can you do me a solid and point me in their direction?
    they used to be available for download on belowempty.com, but I can't seem to find them now. pm me your email and I can send them to you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Didn’t some of those come out with the Core reissue?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited December 2018
    I very nearly saw one of Scott’s final shows.  It was at a pretty small Mexican restaurant.  Seriously.  They just moved a few tables and kept serving drinks.  It didnt sell out and he came out, played four songs and left.  Said he wasnt feeling good.  Pretty sure he wasnt lying either judging by what happened a week later.  He skipped out on the VIP people too from what our usual waiter told us.  Sometimes I still wish i had went but im not sure id want to see him in that state

adhesive is such a great song
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    edited December 2018
    DewieCox said:
    Didn’t some of those come out with the Core reissue?
    no, the only previously unheard studio track on that was the Mighty Joe Young (their first band name) demo Only Dying, which was supposed to be on the Crow soundtrack, but pulled at the last minute because of the title and the sensitivity regarding Brandon Lee's death. but the ones i'm talking about are:

Heed the Water Whisper
    You Can't Drive Me Away (re-recorded and released on the True Blood soundtrack)
    Learning To Drive (released as a SW solo track on the Bugs soundtrack but re-titled Beautiful Day)
    Samba Nova (later re-recorded and released on the deluxe edition of their 2010 self titled album)
    About A Fool 

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    They really should have chosen a singer who is nothing like SW. Maybe the shows would have a different outcome. I don't think I'd go if they came to town only because I know I would feel uncomfortable watching a tribute style show. These guys are STP and deserve a better outcome. Jeff didn't stand a chance. 
    They really should have chosen a singer who is nothing like SW. Maybe the shows would have a different outcome. I don't think I'd go if they came to town only because I know I would feel uncomfortable watching a tribute style show. These guys are STP and deserve a better outcome. Jeff didn't stand a chance. 
    unfortunately i think it was a tough choice for them. do they go with a completely different singer and end up in a talk show like situation again (commercial failure)? or do they go with what they know and at least get to tour and play live and sell records and deal with the inevitable criticism? tough choice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I very nearly saw one of Scott’s final shows.  It was at a pretty small Mexican restaurant.  Seriously.  They just moved a few tables and kept serving drinks.  It didnt sell out and he came out, played four songs and left.  Said he wasnt feeling good.  Pretty sure he wasnt lying either judging by what happened a week later.  He skipped out on the VIP people too from what our usual waiter told us.  Sometimes I still wish i had went but im not sure id want to see him in that state

He was scheduled to play a gig at a theatre here.  It didn't sell out, so it got downgraded to a local bar.  I still don't think it sold well.  They were trying to charge something like 80cdn / ticket.   The other probably was STP played here a few years before that and the show was really lathargic.  Lacked energy and no one was really into it. 

I am glad I got to see STP twice in 2000 when they were still around the top of their game (no. 4 tour).  Saw velvet revolver twice too.  Decent, but not as good as STP (or GNR) :(
    unfortunately i think it was a tough choice for them. do they go with a completely different singer and end up in a talk show like situation again (commercial failure)? or do they go with what they know and at least get to tour and play live and sell records and deal with the inevitable criticism? tough choice. 

This is true.

But I know 100% that the lead singer from I Mother Earth, Brian Byrne was trying out for the role and I think that could have been a perfect fit. 

But I agree, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.  

This is true.

But I know 100% that the lead singer from I Mother Earth, Brian Byrne was trying out for the role and I think that could have been a perfect fit. 

yes, he was. he would have been great. he didn't look the part though, which is unfortunately a reality in the decision process. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:

He was scheduled to play a gig at a theatre here.  It didn't sell out, so it got downgraded to a local bar.  I still don't think it sold well.  They were trying to charge something like 80cdn / ticket.   The other probably was STP played here a few years before that and the show was really lathargic.  Lacked energy and no one was really into it. 

I am glad I got to see STP twice in 2000 when they were still around the top of their game (no. 4 tour).  Saw velvet revolver twice too.  Decent, but not as good as STP (or GNR) :(
    same thing happened here to both STP and SW. STP was scheduled to play the arena that holds 10,000, it got downgraded to a theatre that holds 1500. Then Scott went solo, was scheduled to play that same theatre, and it got downgraded to a bar that holds 300. it didn't even sell out. 

I now regret skipping both those shows. the SW show was only $40, but after hearing about how erratic his performances were, I thought it wouldn't be worth it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Harder for any of us to imagine - losing a dear friend and brother like that, deciding to carry on with it all.
    www.cluthelee.com

This is true.

I thought Edwin was the lead singer of I Mother Earth..... was Byrne a replacement trying to get another replacement gig?
    Zod said:

same thing happened here to both STP and SW. STP was scheduled to play the arena that holds 10,000, it got downgraded to a theatre that holds 1500. Then Scott went solo, was scheduled to play that same theatre, and it got downgraded to a bar that holds 300. it didn't even sell out. 

I now regret skipping both those shows. the SW show was only $40, but after hearing about how erratic his performances were, I thought it wouldn't be worth it. 
    Yah, in hindsight, had I'd know that was my last chance to see him live I would of gone to the bar show.  I still feel bad for him.  On top of the drugs it seems that lots of people (including family) had their tendrils in him financially.  The poor guy was stuck perpetually on tour just to try and keep the whole thing a float :(
    Zod said:

This is true.

I thought Edwin was the lead singer of I Mother Earth..... was Byrne a replacement trying to get another replacement gig?
    Byrne replaced Edwin in 1998 and did 2 albums with IME. Once Brian tried out for STP I think the others canned him and Edwin resurfaced from whatever cave he was hiding out in.
    edited December 2018
    Zod said:

This is true.

Byrne replaced Edwin in 1998 and did 2 albums with IME. Once Brian tried out for STP I think the others canned him and Edwin resurfaced from whatever cave he was hiding out in.
    i don't know if brian got canned. i think he tried out for stp but if that didn't work out he was going to just continue with his solo stuff. it might have been the same shit as with anthrax, where the guys wanted to tour behind the S&F record for the anniversary and then things just fell into/out of place with brian.

edwin was in a band called crash karma (2 albums or radio rock) with the old guitarist from our lady peace, the drummer from tea party, and the bassist from zygote. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ya, I'm a huge IME fan. Been so since the beginning. 
    Byrne was slotted to be the singer for the Scenery Fish tour but then there was a change. Just happened to be at the same time he was trying out for STP. 
    I've seem them live 13 times and have to say I prefer Brian's performance over Edwin
    Ya, I'm a huge IME fan. Been so since the beginning. 
    Byrne was slotted to be the singer for the Scenery Fish tour but then there was a change. Just happened to be at the same time he was trying out for STP. 
    I've seem them live 13 times and have to say I prefer Brian's performance over Edwin
    he was, really? i thought it only came up because of their reconnecting with edwin. cool. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Brian was what? Maybe 8 or 9 years younger than the Tanna brothers and I think he wanted to be more active. IME was only releasing one or two songs here and there so he said fuck it, try out for STP. I can see Jag not being thrilled with that and it just happened to be at the same time Chris had reunited with Edwin. Coincidence? Lol
    Purple 25th anniversary release coming Sept 13. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD