Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Tori Stafford's parents aren't happy with one of her killers chilling out at a healing house:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/terri-lynne-mcclintic-belongs-back-in-her-cell-tori-staffords-dad-says-at-rally/ar-BBPgvQ2?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

I liked this comment: "Yes, we have rehabilitation in our society, but we also have justice. That's the thing that Mr. Trudeau doesn't understand, that it's got to be a combination of the two, not just one." 

The pendulum will swing back. Prime Minister Purple Socks would do well to get on the front end of it versus watch it swing away.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    What do his socks have to do with anything?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Just trying to stay consistent with my name calling, Soul lol
    PJ_Soul said:

Just trying to stay consistent with my name calling, Soul lol
    Damned elitists. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Canadian justice system is a complete fucking disgrace...

Don’t expect Trudeau to be tough on crime, he is even to afraid of prosecuting ISIS terrorist...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2018

Don’t expect Trudeau to be tough on crime, he is even to afraid of prosecuting ISIS terrorist...

In my opinion, people have had enough though. Our courts love to make the assailant the victims.

I don't think the guy who wasn't ready after all will initiate any meaningful change effort, but someone will soon. It's case after case after case that makes people's stomach's turn. We have forgotten what the term 'justice' means as we seem to have displaced it. Put it in front of me and I will be voting for it. So, yeah, that likely will be wussy's opponent. 
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on

In my opinion, people have had enough though. Our courts love to make the assailant the victims.

I don't think the guy who wasn't ready after all will initiate any meaningful change effort, but someone will soon. It's case after case after case that makes people's stomach's turn. We have forgotten what the term 'justice' means as we seem to have displaced it. Put it in front of me and I will be voting for it. So, yeah, that likely will be wussy's opponent. 
    Trudeau will get a second term.  The NDP under Singh is going nowhere.  Sheer has momentum, but he screwed up in a royal way by not keeping Bernier in the party.  I do not expect Trudeau to get tough on crime...

I lost any use for Trudeau when he told a vet who lost a leg "you asking more than we can give".  Amazing how he was able to hand 10.5 million to a terrorist, 4.5 billion for a pipeline ... on an with the clown.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • This case would be funny given how the courts handled it... if it wasn't so tragic:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/the-most-unpredictable-gangland-ottawa-murder-trial-in-recent-history-ends-in-acquittals/ar-BBPhpGF?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

The victim's sister feels the same way I do about our justice system: “Congratulations, you’re f—ing free. You killed someone and you’re f—ing free,” she yelled before breaking down in tears. “This is your justice system, guys. This is your f—ing justice system.

“Shadow, don’t forget there’s a God,” she said before storming out of the courtroom.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    This case would be funny given how the courts handled it... if it wasn't so tragic:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/the-most-unpredictable-gangland-ottawa-murder-trial-in-recent-history-ends-in-acquittals/ar-BBPhpGF?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

The victim's sister feels the same way I do about our justice system: “Congratulations, you’re f—ing free. You killed someone and you’re f—ing free,” she yelled before breaking down in tears. “This is your justice system, guys. This is your f—ing justice system.

“Shadow, don’t forget there’s a God,” she said before storming out of the courtroom.

Given the way this case is described, I'm not surprised that the jury had reasonable doubt.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • This case would be funny given how the courts handled it... if it wasn't so tragic:

Given the way this case is described, I'm not surprised that the jury had reasonable doubt.
    Honestly... I'm not surprised either. I just don't feel like congratulating the jurors though. As much as they did their job... I'm pretty sure justice was not served.

This case would be funny given how the courts handled it... if it wasn't so tragic:

Honestly... I'm not surprised either. I just don't feel like congratulating the jurors though. As much as they did their job... I'm pretty sure justice was not served.

Would you have congratulated them if they came up with a guilty verdict in the absence of physical evidence and with key witnesses who kept changing their stories? 

I suspect they did the best they could in this shitty case. 

Would you have congratulated them if they came up with a guilty verdict in the absence of physical evidence and with key witnesses who kept changing their stories? 

No.

As I said, they did their job- I'm not blaming them.

Just a goofy goofy case.
  • By the way... we've had Victoria weather for the past two weeks. Geezuz.

The mountains are mud and mountain biking is the shits. We might be done for the year. Oh well... skate skiing season (not as fun).
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Kavanaugh?

;)
  • my2hands said:

Kavanaugh?

;)

lol
    my2hands said:

Kavanaugh?

;)
    :weary:

Which of course was not a court case 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:

Kavanaugh?

;)

That's not what Trump and the GOP told me.
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:

Kavanaugh?

;)

That's not what Trump and the GOP told me.

10 out of 10 doofuses can't be wrong. 
    Back to politics - filled in my ballot on the proportional representational referendum today and will drop it in the mail. For those not in BC, we are having a two question referendum - first question, do we want to stick with FPTP or move to PR; second question, if PR, which of three options. You can answer only the first question if you wish, and for the second, can pick one, two or three options to rank. It's a complicated enough question that I wonder if we'll get enough votes for it to be valid. 

And then, of course, the usual Elections BC rigmarole of "fold your ballot and put it in the privacy sleeve. Then put the ballot and privacy sleeve into the first envelope, sign and seal it. Then put that envelope into the second envelope and seal it."
    Back to politics - filled in my ballot on the proportional representational referendum today and will drop it in the mail. For those not in BC, we are having a two question referendum - first question, do we want to stick with FPTP or move to PR; second question, if PR, which of three options. You can answer only the first question if you wish, and for the second, can pick one, two or three options to rank. It's a complicated enough question that I wonder if we'll get enough votes for it to be valid. 

And then, of course, the usual Elections BC rigmarole of "fold your ballot and put it in the privacy sleeve. Then put the ballot and privacy sleeve into the first envelope, sign and seal it. Then put that envelope into the second envelope and seal it."
    I just voted im our municipal election, I just moved to this town 2 weeks before.  Didn't even have any mail with my new address. went to the voting place, told the who I was, showed them my driver licence and was handed a ballet ... in and out in 10.  I was so impressed.  In BC that sounds a bit on the confusing.  We had a similar ballet question 10 years or so ago, it was defeated.  If I'm not mistaken the NDP was the only party that was for it, the liberals put it on the ballet, but would not say which system they favoured and I do not remember what the Conservatives did...but I think they remained relatively quiet on the issue.  I guess it was really not much of a campaign issue.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    We have twice had referenda on PR, but only one system - the single transferable vote. It got over 50% of the votes in the first one but needed 60 so failed. It got less in the second. I hope this time PR succeeds. 
    Will it pass if the vote is 50 +1 percent?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Apparently this time it’s a simple majority, is my understanding. 
    It should be interesting...

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018

I can't really decide how to rank the 3 kinds of PR.... If it was guaranteed that we could have 2 votes - 1 for candidate, one for party - I would definitely choose mixed-member. But that isn't guaranteed. A legislative committee is going to decide whether we'll get that method of mixed-member representation or not after the fact. I don't want mixed-member if they decide to go with just one vote per person (when you vote for a candidate you vote for their party too).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

I can't really decide how to rank the 3 kinds of PR.... If it was guaranteed that we could have 2 votes - 1 for candidate, one for party - I would definitely choose mixed-member. But that isn't guaranteed. A legislative committee is going to decide whether we'll get that method of mixed-member representation or not after the fact. I don't want mixed-member if they decide to go with just one vote per person (when you vote for a candidate you vote for their party too).
    There are definitely a lot of unknowns, and I think that is turning a lot of people off. I suspect the No side will win because of that. 
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

There are definitely a lot of unknowns, and I think that is turning a lot of people off. I suspect the No side will win because of that. 
    If that ends up being true, for that reason, I actually think that is kind of pathetic.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Where did they place you.  Let me guess.  Next to the jack ass.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Just wanted to say I have recently begun to follow Ontario Proud on FB.  Really enjoying my time there disputing and debating all those misguided conservative elitists.  Oh its beginning to look a lot like festivus do do do do with the airing of grievances around the pole la di da.
    It really a magical time of year.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.