***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They just announced a package tour with STP, Bush & The Cult.   For the L.A. area, they are doing a 30,000 seat outdoor venue located about 40 miles east of downtown L.A.      A bit ambitious, IMHO.
    that place is going to be half empty at BEST. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Took a break from the new album for a bit but put it back on for a run today, still think it's a solid album. One thing I found to be ironic is there's a strong desire for BO'B to produce their work again over on the Below Empty forum where the majority here would like to see PJ try another producer.

The tour with Bush and The Cult, not sure how that will do. I know a few Cult tunes but never really got into them. Gavin and whoever is playing with him now, I dunno. I listened to them up through Golden State, a couple of the comeback singles I heard didn't do anything for me though.
    I am wired and fading...
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    I went to the show in Portland last month and it was pretty awesome. Jeff is a good fit for the band, and I'm looking forward to the summer tour with Bush, Alice in Chains (Washington shows only), and The Cult. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They just announced a package tour with STP, Bush & The Cult.   For the L.A. area, they are doing a 30,000 seat outdoor venue located about 40 miles east of downtown L.A.      A bit ambitious, IMHO.
    that place is going to be half empty at BEST. 
    Set up to fail from the get go. Who the hell booked that? Are any of those bands bigger than a few thousand(at best) on their own? Even if there’s no crossover between the fans, you’re looking at 10k if everybody that’s interested goes through with a ticket purchase.
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    That triple headliner would have sold a lot of tickets in the 90s. I like them all. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I've never seen Bush, and would like to.  Might of been temped if they were in the area.   As for STP, it's tough. I have to take time off work, pay for travel/hotel to see bands.  It's a hard sell to myself, to do it for the new lineup.  22 year old me had no problem driving to Portland, OR to see the original STP lineup back in the day.. lol.
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Zod said:
    I've never seen Bush, and would like to.  Might of been temped if they were in the area.   As for STP, it's tough. I have to take time off work, pay for travel/hotel to see bands.  It's a hard sell to myself, to do it for the new lineup.  22 year old me had no problem driving to Portland, OR to see the original STP lineup back in the day.. lol.
    I saw Bush last year when they played Showbox Sodo and they were pretty awesome, so I'm definitely excited about this summer's tour. I saw STP a few years ago when Chester was singing, and I enjoyed it even though it was strange to think of Scott not being with them. Jeff seems to be a good fit, though. When the Portland show was announced in December it didn't look like they were going to be touring Seattle anytime soon, so I decided to go for it. What a show they put on that night! Definitely worth the drive.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    They just announced a Canadian tour. I said to myself that I would only go of there was a local date. Low and behold they're coming to my butt fuck town and playing a 1300 capacity venue. I never thought I would entertain the idea of going to see STP without Scott but I figured what the fuck. It's a 15 minute drive. Not sure if I'm excited or not but just going to go with flow for this one. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    CPR7 said:
    They just announced a Canadian tour. I said to myself that I would only go of there was a local date. Low and behold they're coming to my butt fuck town and playing a 1300 capacity venue. I never thought I would entertain the idea of going to see STP without Scott but I figured what the fuck. It's a 15 minute drive. Not sure if I'm excited or not but just going to go with flow for this one. 
    Don’t think too much, just enjoy! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    CPR7 said:
    Stp is great live. New guy fits really well. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    CPR7 said:
    Stp is great live. New guy fits really well. 
    Awesome! Great to hear! 
    meet and greet with stp is $300+. wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Watched/Listened to a few live shows with JG. No denying his voice is great and seems to be a great fit in the band. Not a huge fan of his on stage antics though. Just be you man. No need to strut around the stage like SW used to. 
    CPR7 said:
    Watched/Listened to a few live shows with JG. No denying his voice is great and seems to be a great fit in the band. Not a huge fan of his on stage antics though. Just be you man. No need to strut around the stage like SW used to. 
    The songs he's singing may be making him want to strut though. What if that's just what comes natural?
    feeling it golden state warriors GIF by NBA

www.cluthelee.com
  • My first and only show was during the Family Values Tour in 2001. I had to endure a lot of boring music to see the main act. It was a pretty good show. It also gave us an early glimpse to Chester Bennington guesting on a song throughout the tour cycle. It didn't surprise me when he eventually became their then new vocalist.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    I'd love to go see STP on this tour, but man, I really don't want to have to sit through 3 other post-grunge bands to do so (Seether, Default, and one other one). I may wait until they tour on their own. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The 'one other one' must be Age of Days? I would personally wait for a headlining tour because it seems you do not want to sit through three post-grunge bands. I don't blame you.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    Shakescky said:
    The 'one other one' must be Age of Days? I would personally wait for a headlining tour because it seems you do not want to sit through three post-grunge bands. I don't blame you.
    I just hesitate doing the "I will see them next time". 

it bit me in the ass with TOTD, Soundgarden, Scott Weiland solo, the last time STP were here, etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CPR7 said:9
    The songs he's singing may be making him want to strut though. What if that's just what comes natural?
    feeling it golden state warriors GIF by NBA

Hahaha touché
    I'd love to go see STP on this tour, but man, I really don't want to have to sit through 3 other post-grunge bands to do so (Seether, Default, and one other one). I may wait until they tour on their own. 
    I agree. I wouldn't be going if it wasn't so convenient. Don't really care for the openers either but at the end of the day 75% of the band is the original lineup. After listening to some of their newer live shows I have no doubt that it's going to be awesome.
    CPR7 said:
    I agree. I wouldn't be going if it wasn't so convenient. Don't really care for the openers either but at the end of the day 75% of the band is the original lineup. After listening to some of their newer live shows I have no doubt that it's going to be awesome.
    I just don't want to pay for a full concert and get a "festival" show, like a 60 minute set or something like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CPR7 said:
    I just don't want to pay for a full concert and get a "festival" show, like a 60 minute set or something like that. 
    Yeah I hear ya. I guess I'm paying more for the convenience. I didn't splurge on the best seats in the house by any means. The venue is small enough that there are no "bad" seats. 

I was on the same boat as you. I waited for a Canadian TOTD date, skipped Weiland's last show in TO because he was coming around often etc. Hindsight is always 20/20
    so I ended up finding a ticket for half price on stubhub. $30 CDN all in for 4 bands. I actually skipped the first two (Age of Days sounds like a Seether clone, and I don't like Default). Seether was pretty good, but man, that guy needs to get over his obsession with Kurt Cobain. Seether is a four piece band, but Shawn Morgan is set up on stage left, just like Kurt was. The bassist was in the middle of the stage where the singer usually is. Totally bizarre. 

As predicted, STP was 14 songs of greatest hits with only their two singles from the new record. 

Why do bands release full records if they are only going to play the radio singles every damn time? And honestly, the deleos/kretz are always tight, and I really dig the new record with Jeff Gutt, but holy shit, the Scott Weiland imitation was over the top. The way he was dressed (same type of sunglasses, something feathery around his neck-a friend of mine said he looked like Neil Patrick Harris dressed as Scott Weiland! LOL), and the way he moved around the stage and even how he crouched down when singing to the first row was vintage Weiland. It was kind of embarassing to watch. 

One other thing, it was obvious most fans were there for Seether. the exodus before and during STP's set was insane. Never seen anything like it for a headliner (And Dean even came to the main mic and commented that this was the best crowd of the Canadian tour so far-EESH). there were full SECTIONS that were empty. STP should have gone back to playing 2000 seat theatres like they did with Chester. Sell those out, build a buzz, build a following again. Touring with 90's nostalgia acts and grunge ripoffs isn't going to do them any favours long-term. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Imitation not the sincerest form of flattery?
    www.cluthelee.com
    yes, but this was beyond imitation. this was downright method acting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Eek! I kind of feel for Jeff a bit.
    www.cluthelee.com
    so do I. I mean, he probably feels intense pressure to placate the fans that miss scott, knowing those performance shoes are huge ones to fill. But he really should dial it back a bit. so many people I've talked to who were at the show mentioned the same thing I did. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so do I. I mean, he probably feels intense pressure to placate the fans that miss scott, knowing those performance shoes are huge ones to fill. But he really should dial it back a bit. so many people I've talked to who were at the show mentioned the same thing I did. 
    I kind of felt that way seeing Travis emulating Shannon hardcore when I saw Blind Melon in 2008. But he was smoother about it and I think they played a pretty good number of songs off "For My Friends" on that tour.
    www.cluthelee.com
    I kind of felt that way seeing Travis emulating Shannon hardcore when I saw Blind Melon in 2008. But he was smoother about it and I think they played a pretty good number of songs off "For My Friends" on that tour.
    I actually had this conversation with my cousin this morning. She asked how the STP show was, and I mentioned the BM show in 2008. I found that Travis sounded like Shannon, but I didn't really notice him being similar in mannerisms or stage prescence. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so I ended up finding a ticket for half price on stubhub. $30 CDN all in for 4 bands. I actually skipped the first two (Age of Days sounds like a Seether clone, and I don't like Default). Seether was pretty good, but man, that guy needs to get over his obsession with Kurt Cobain. Seether is a four piece band, but Shawn Morgan is set up on stage left, just like Kurt was. The bassist was in the middle of the stage where the singer usually is. Totally bizarre. 

As predicted, STP was 14 songs of greatest hits with only their two singles from the new record. 

Why do bands release full records if they are only going to play the radio singles every damn time? And honestly, the deleos/kretz are always tight, and I really dig the new record with Jeff Gutt, but holy shit, the Scott Weiland imitation was over the top. The way he was dressed (same type of sunglasses, something feathery around his neck-a friend of mine said he looked like Neil Patrick Harris dressed as Scott Weiland! LOL), and the way he moved around the stage and even how he crouched down when singing to the first row was vintage Weiland. It was kind of embarassing to watch. 

One other thing, it was obvious most fans were there for Seether. the exodus before and during STP's set was insane. Never seen anything like it for a headliner (And Dean even came to the main mic and commented that this was the best crowd of the Canadian tour so far-EESH). there were full SECTIONS that were empty. STP should have gone back to playing 2000 seat theatres like they did with Chester. Sell those out, build a buzz, build a following again. Touring with 90's nostalgia acts and grunge ripoffs isn't going to do them any favours long-term. 
    Thanks for the review. That is exactly what I was afraid of. They're playing a 2000 seat theater here and last time I checked tickets sold about half of the venue was still available. Still going in with a cup half full mentality. Going to smoke some government weed right outside the venue before heading in hahaha