Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• Bloody customs fees on all 10c items makes the cost of anything nearly double the original price. Not unpopular  but true and so fuckin annoying
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrk2 said:
    I love Sleater Kinney.

As far as PJ opening acts go, Ben Harper in 2010 was boring as hell. 

Was that different that the Relentless 7 act from 2009? That was some of my favorite, but I know he's changed his style more often than my wife changes her hair color.
  • Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.
    In theory I agree. But when an "even with" show has a starting time listed of 7:30, there are reminders that the show starts at :7:30. So to be safe and account for any traffic possibilities I arrive at 6:45 - 7:00 and yet they take the stage at 8:15. There's a good 45 minutes to an hour of an opener I could have enjoyed while waiting.

• Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Now that all the 2018 posters have been released, flipping is now in full swing in Lost Dogs and seems to be supported by quite a few here.
    If you are going to flip, dont give us the bullshit reason why you have to sell the poster/s. Like clearing out my flat file of posters that I will never hang when the list consists mostly of 2018 APs.
    Kearnsy
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    mace1229 said:
    Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.
    In theory I agree. But when an "even with" show has a starting time listed of 7:30, there are reminders that the show starts at :7:30. So to be safe and account for any traffic possibilities I arrive at 6:45 - 7:00 and yet they take the stage at 8:15. There's a good 45 minutes to an hour of an opener I could have enjoyed while waiting.

• Kearn5y said:
    Now that all the 2018 posters have been released, flipping is now in full swing in Lost Dogs and seems to be supported by quite a few here.
    If you are going to flip, dont give us the bullshit reason why you have to sell the poster/s. Like clearing out my flat file of posters that I will never hang when the list consists mostly of 2018 APs.
    This^^^ I personally think it's all bollocks.
    Don t make  a lame ass excuse that you want 500 x what you paid 2 weeks ago. 
    Just the truth!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    jbrownie said:
    I think some of the 'Announcements' need to be cleaned off the front page. If you haven't pre-ordered Live at the Orpheum by now, you probably aren't going to. Or can't. 

Ticketmaster is misunderstood and really puts its customers over profit. 

If your band is down to one original member, time to retire your bands name. I'm looking at you, Don Henley & Donald Fagen! And especially Yes.
    I would love to hear an explanation on this. 

Nothing wrong charging what the market will bear. Growl.

As they run their own secondary market? Puh-lease.

I think I was referring to platinum and VIP pricing, which bands do have a say in. Why I said that here, I have a no idea why.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    mace1229 said:

Maybe this is unpopular...

...I'd be fine if they started exactly at the time the ticket says.  I guess it's just not part of concert culture (like it is for sporting even culture) to do that.  It's like extra waiting/anticipation is very valuable to the show (well, more likely so they can sell more merch and beer).  This isn't a PJ problem, but a concert problem.  I wish that the whole thing had evolved in a way that people just got to the shows on time and they started on time, just like a game.

Popular? Unpopular?  I don't care for opening acts.  I have seen a couple of gems but generally "an evening with" is a preference.  Though I will give you that given the "let's start late" culture, you can usually count on an opener to  start on time.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Lightning Bolt is an excellent album.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    2000 is the worst year for Ed’s annunciation
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Beards are the best thing to ever happen to faces. You look ridiculous without one. 
    Ugh I have to be clean shaven at work. I fucking hate shaving. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Corduroy is still fun times.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    100 Pacer said:
    Agreed. New bridge and all!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    lol you forget that once long ago this band was the opening act with your attitude they would of just flew right over your head if all you wanted was the headliner ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    PJNB said:
    Beards are the best thing to ever happen to faces. You look ridiculous without one. 
    Do you work for the Yankees or something?
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

...I'd be fine if they started exactly at the time the ticket says.  I guess it's just not part of concert culture (like it is for sporting even culture) to do that.  It's like extra waiting/anticipation is very valuable to the show (well, more likely so they can sell more merch and beer).  This isn't a PJ problem, but a concert problem.  I wish that the whole thing had evolved in a way that people just got to the shows on time and they started on time, just like a game.

Popular? Unpopular?  I don't care for opening acts.  I have seen a couple of gems but generally "an evening with" is a preference.  Though I will give you that given the "let's start late" culture, you can usually count on an opener to  start on time.  

I have no issue with a band starting 30 to 45 minutes later than the stated time, to allow for traffic and security. 90 minutes at Fenway was absurd,  to add insult to injury then they played a shorter set than other 2018 shows.

PJ is also the only band I have seen to tweet that their set will begin at 7.30 then they hit the stage an hour later. That's not cool.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    rummy said:
    PJNB said:

Some companies don't like their employees to look like a hipster doofus. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

I have no issue with a band starting 30 to 45 minutes later than the stated time, to allow for traffic and security. 90 minutes at Fenway was absurd,  to add insult to injury then they played a shorter set than other 2018 shows.

PJ is also the only band I have seen to tweet that their set will begin at 7.30 then they hit the stage an hour later. That's not cool.

Yeah, when the ticket says 7:30 and there is no opening band, it would be rare to start at 7:30.  Lucky to start by 8:00pm.  I think when I saw Soundgarden one time they actually came out at the time on the ticket.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

I like football in the groin

Related image

OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, when the ticket says 7:30 and there is no opening band, it would be rare to start at 7:30.  Lucky to start by 8:00pm.  I think when I saw Soundgarden one time they actually came out at the time on the ticket.
    Yes, but what was annoying were the announcement to arrive on time as they will start at 7:30, but then they go on 8:15. I think people sort of expected a later start, but don't announce one time, then not follow through.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJNB said:
    Thank god I don't have to deal with that anymore. Can't tell you the last time I was "clean shaven". Shaving always irritated the shit out of my skin no matter what I did.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • GA blows
    PJ shows have turned into minor league baseball theatrics. T-shirt cannons coming soon
    PJ is not our Zeppelin or The Who. Closer to next generation Aerosmith
    PJ doesn’t release more music because they creatively are dry. Two albums in ten years guys. 

mcgruff10 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Agreed. New bridge and all!

YEAH YEAH YEAH, if you want to ruin one of their best bridges of all time and turned into a folk song.

Listen to Padua 2018. Those fans have it figured out, they captured the essence of the tune, unlike some other towns.
  • GA blows
    PJ shows have turned into minor league baseball theatrics. T-shirt cannons coming soon
    PJ is not our Zeppelin or The Who. Closer to next generation Aerosmith
    PJ doesn’t release more music because they creatively are dry. Two albums in ten years guys. 

You know what to do! As we say in England . On ya bike mate
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    GA blows
    Awesome! No more waiting in merch lines!
  • mrk2 said:
    I can easily go weeks without listening to a single Pearl Jam song.
    I do this sometimes too.  Often what I do is have a band that I binge on, where like 80 percent of my music listening for a month or two is anything and everything from a specific band and then I take a few months off from listening to them or just listening to an occasional song here and there

Like for example, in September I listened to every Zeppelin album multiple times, tons of bootlegs, all their videos, etc.  But haven't put on a single Zep album on since then
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    rummy said:
    PJNB said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_5lXIT5AY
  • Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.
    The only thing that is worse is a second opener
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    The only thing that is worse is a second opener

Who was Chili Peppers second opener 27 years ago that impressed all the FM radio honchos in attendance city after city to get their tunes on the air?