dinosaur jr

13»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    New videos out from the Anniversary shows! Fantastic!!

http://freakscene.net/video/dinosaur-jr-30-night-2-12-04-2015/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I'm so mad at myself for not flying up for at least one of these. So awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Yefa said:

BikePHL said:

BikePHL said:

Is anyone going to the run of shows they are doing at the Bowery Ballroom in December?
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/08/dinosaur_jr_cel_1.html

Ive got 2 tickets for the show on Saturday December 5th, but have a family event that night and won't make it. If anyone out there is interested in trading their tickets for the show on Sunday the 6th for my Saturday tickets, please shot me a message!

I couldn't find a trade partner so I ended up having to sell my tickets. Has anyone made it to one of the shows?
    Sorry you couldn't make it (and that I didn't see your post until now). Henry Rollins and Jeff Tweedy were special guests on Saturday.
    I'm going tomorrow night…looking forward to it.
    I hope you had a blast! Please give us a review when you have a chance!!!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
    Yes, reviews, please!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 321
    Damn. I would have loved to have seen any of those shows!
    clayton12 said:

Damn. I would have loved to have seen any of those shows!

Same here! There are some great videos out from the shows and I hope they're going to put together a DVD like they did for the Live Bug. Would love so see that!

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited December 2015
    I went to the 12/8 show at Bowery Ballroom. Henry Rollins started the night by doing a funny introduction. He was standing above us in the balcony on J's side. The band then played the first album front to back in sequence. As I didn't see my first Dinosaur Jr show until May 1991, there were songs I had never seen them do live so that was very cool. The album still holds up very well 30 years after its initial release. They then took a break and came back out for some more songs…

Theremin Jam with special guest Eugene Mirman was the start of the 2nd set. This was pretty strange…an impromptu jam that didn't really go anywhere. I guess the band and Eugene were amused by it. The band then played No Bones, Tarpit, and Start Choppin which was a strong sequence of prime Dino Jr. Next was Get Me with special guest Sharon Van Etten. I like Van Etten's music (saw her open for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds at the Beacon in 2013) but she didn't do very well here…didn't know the song yet (had lyrics taped to the stage). Unfortunately some asshat in the crowd threw ice at her to show his disapproval. That was really uncalled for. Dinosaur Jr then played a a solid version of Feel The Pain. Special guest Kurt Vile then joined in for Crumble which was quite good. Vile is a good guitar player and it was fun to hear him playing with J Mascis. Vile then left the stage and the band played Pieces. Kevin Shields then came out to do the My Bloody Valentine song Thorn with the band. After a few false starts they did a good version. Freak Scene then got the crowd going wild. Mike Watt then joined the band to play bass and sing lead on T.V. Eye and Fun House. There was also a saxophone player whose name I don't know. These were high energy covers of the Iggy & the Stooges classics. That ended the 2nd set. The band then came out for the encore which consisted of Cortez The Killer by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Kurt Vile joined in for this song if memory serves. I saw Lee Ranaldo watching from the side of the stage but he never joined in on any songs.
    All in all it was a great night of music to celebrate 30 years of a fantastic band.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited December 2015
    This is a fun listen…Marc Maron with J Mascis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbti_PUXj0
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I'm on a Dinosaur Jr. binge right now. J plays guitar like no one else and writes incredibly interesting songs.

Gotta bump this thread for anyone who hasn't given them a listen.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    http://www.vagalume.com.br/dinosaur-jr/alone.html

This has got to be some of the best guitar ever recorded, IMO.
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    dudeman said:

I'm on a Dinosaur Jr. binge right now. J plays guitar like no one else and writes incredibly interesting songs.

Was where you are now, back in '93. Still not over it and still on a binge.

dudeman said:

I'm totally with you guys. I've tracked down all the relatively easy-to-find J and Dinosaur Jr etc stuff on vinyl (22 records plus the boxed set of the 7's) and hope to fill in the harder to find boots, etc.

My latest regular Dino indulgence is has been "Dinosaur Jr.* In Session" (BBC recordings). The versions of "Bulbs of Passion" and "does it Float" are insane and a smokin' "Raisins".

*Yes, the label mistakenly put a period after "Jr"

dudeman, here a cool version of "Alone" I came across recently (around 3:00 J completely rips it up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exbf3aprR4

You can see/hear the entire crazy good performance here. Great sound and the camera guy gives us lots of great close ups of J's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvuWId7QGA

Brian....I just can't get past Green Mind...just got overwhelmed with nostalgia. Take me back to 91 musically, but leave me here otherwise.

I can see my younger self in a local Melbourne store....listening to this fantastic new band (new to me). Trying out CDs before you buy. Killing time waiting for train home from school. What a time....Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and all the others breaking out and J just delivering in, my book, masterpieces.

The world was a safer and happier place. Where has 91 gone.

LOL listen to me

Brian....I just can't get past Green Mind...just got overwhelmed with nostalgia. Take me back to 91 musically, but leave me here otherwise.

I can see my younger self in a local Melbourne store....listening to this fantastic new band (new to me). Trying out CDs before you buy. Killing time waiting for train home from school. What a time....Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and all the others breaking out and J just delivering in, my book, masterpieces.

The world was a safer and happier place. Where has 91 gone.

LOL listen to me

Yes, Release EV, Green Mind is amazing. What a record!

Yes, how things have changed. My nostalgia goes back to being able to walk into a record store and buy any new vinyl record for $5 U.S., sometimes only $2.99 on sale. Yeah I know, a LONG time ago, haha! But that was the 60's and we had no Dinosaur Jr or Pearl Jam or Nirvana or what ever the next great band will be (I wonder who?!) so it's good to be listening to great stuff in the 2010's!

dudeman said:

Yeah man. I was where I am at now in 93, too.
    There's just a lot more material to dig into.

Been a fan for decades and I still feel like I'm hearing them for the first time.
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

dudeman said:

I'm totally with you guys. I've tracked down all the relatively easy-to-find J and Dinosaur Jr etc stuff on vinyl (22 records plus the boxed set of the 7's) and hope to fill in the harder to find boots, etc.

My latest regular Dino indulgence is has been "Dinosaur Jr.* In Session" (BBC recordings). The versions of "Bulbs of Passion" and "does it Float" are insane and a smokin' "Raisins".

*Yes, the label mistakenly put a period after "Jr"

dudeman, here a cool version of "Alone" I came across recently (around 3:00 J completely rips it up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exbf3aprR4

Thanks for the vids, Brian!

Interesting about the period. A few of the studio albums have periods and the rest don't. I never gave it much thought.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    Just came across this interview with J, one of the best I've seen.  These guys are having fun, J is loose and (for J)  rather talkative and the jam on "The Lung" at the end is very cool!

At last, Ear Bleeding Country is out on vinyl with some extras.  Two record set, just arrived in the mail!

brianlux said:
    At last, Ear Bleeding Country is out on vinyl with some extras.  Two record set, just arrived in the mail!

Purchased where Brian?
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    This arrived on release day, great service from Cherry Red.
    brianlux said:

Purchased where Brian?
    Cherry Red records, from England.  I believe there are a few on Discogs also. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Purchased where Brian?
    Thanks Brian
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Purchased where Brian?
    Thanks Brian
    :plus_one:

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Purchased where Brian?
    also on amazon
    I had time yesterday to clean my new copy of Ear Bleeding Country and give it a spin.  It sounds great!  Much warmer than the CD and very solid sounding.  PLUS, the double LP has great liner notes on the inside by Henry Rollins.  A fantastic package!

Is there more than previouly released, studio tracks on there?
    dudeman said:
    Is there more than previouly released, studio tracks on there?
    No, not really although it does contain a few tracks off of What Ever's Cool With Me which otherwise I believe is only available on CD, not vinyl, plus a song from J Mascis and the Fog's More Light which is getting hard to find and pricey on vinyl.  All the rest are off of studio albums all the way from the first,  Dinosaur, through Without a Sound.  And everything is nicely remastered and sounds great!  Besides Rollin's liner notes, the inner sleeves have earlier notes (I think those are on the CD but I can't remember because I got rid of the more harsh sounding CD).  I think the new version CD was probably remastered and if so, probably sounds better than the original 2001 CD).