First time to Seattle - PJ and Grunge must does

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this..

Visiting Seattle next August and was wondering what are must do tours and places to visit as a PJ and grunge music fan.

Will be staying downtown and wont have a car.

Berlin 2006
o2 Arena 2009
Belfast 2010
Manchester #1 2012
Wrigley Field 2013

Milan 2014

Amsterdam #1 2018

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Stalking Seattle. Great tour, great lady, great idea 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 782
    I spent a week in Seattle last month and loved it. Stayed with friends in Sammamish but got driven around everywhere-was awesome. Plus Greenwood cemetery where Hendrix is buried is pretty much on the way.

Of course do MOPOP the PJ Nirvana and Hendrix exhibits are amazing. The store has some Seattle music stuff too. Easy Street is in West Seattle which is the end of the line for a lot of buses-it's on the right hand side. Jeff's MLB mural redo is there still. Picked up Rainier Fog there-could have done so elsewhere but wanted to support it.

El Corazon is the old Off Ramp where Mookie Blaylock played their first gig. Good as pizza place round the corner too.
    171 Lake Washington Blvd is where Kurt lived and died.
    The Moore is where Mad Season played-enjoyed the coffee there too.
    The OK Hotel is near the waterfront and is where Nirvana played Teen Spirit for the first time.
    The Paramount-Temple played there and Nirvana did a concert video there.
    The Crocodile Cafe is where a heap of those bands played.
    Use Macys as your crapper due to the location. Not grunge related, just important.
    Benaroya Hall is where PJ did their acoustic concert. Try see something there.
    Sub Pop has a store at the airport-it's awesome. Plus Duff McKagan is on the PA.
    Think it's the Columbus Center where we went up for free. There's a Starbucks so you can grab a coffee and enjoy the view. Plus on a morbid note Harborview is the hospital where Andy Wood died and it sticks out like dogs balls from there.

Enjoy man-I had a great time and can't wait to go back. I'm sure locals will have way more info-especially about Alice. I didn't make it to Aberdeen nor where Layne Staley apparently lived.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • I would do the MoPop exhibit.  That was just so amazing to see all that history in there.
  • KS80184KS80184 Posts: 385
    Last time I was at SeaTac airport in September, they still had the Push Me Pull Me PJ poster exhibit up in the terminal before security.  
  • the $40/g temple ball was worth the money
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100

I know it's not part of "grunge" history...but the Underground Seattle tour is really cool.  (and it's grungy down there).

You can also google film locations for the movie Singles. 

11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    Central Saloon is cool. Seattle's oldest saloon. Nirvana played their first Seattle show there, and Mother Love Bones played their last show ever there.
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    I work at MoPOP, and right now we don't have a definitive date on when the Pearl Jam gallery is leaving. It's supposed to be around through the early part of 2019 and possibly into the summer, but I strongly advise checking back closer to the time of your trip to make sure that it's still on exhibition. I would hate for you to go primarily for that and it not be there, but I can definitely tell you that the Nirvana gallery is another amazing exhibition worth checking out. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    i was there for the home shows and on top of what JT16 said we also saw:

discovery park; where hunger strike video was hot, a bit of an uber ride but well worth it
    london bridge studios
    space needle
    singles apartment
    virginia inn (from singles)
    easy street records
    pioneer square (singles movie poster shot)

ok hotel was cool because the manager happened to be in the lobby when we walked by and let us in (it's a locked apartment building now) so we could take pictures in the lobby/1st floor where the single coffee shop was. pretty nerdy and cool to stand in the same spot eddie/jeff/stone/cliff sat and discussed their bad review for citizen dick haha. also the room in the back was the 'stage' for the first time smells like teen spirit was played and the first queens of the stone age show. 

many of the things listed are in downtown in the same couple of parallel streets, all within walking distance. have fun!
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I’ll second the underground Seattle tour - it was really well done.
  • Gas works park!!!
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    I have a blog post of all my stops last trip https://jacquelynskitchen.wordpress.com/2018/08/28/the-layover-seattle-pearl-jam-style/
    :-)
    Two places i missed but will stop at next time I’m there are A Soundgarden and West Point Lighthouse.

Definitely check out MoPop, the PJ exhibit is amazing and now they have the Cornell Statue.  Also the horror exhibit is awesome!  Have fun!  I love Seattle, beautiful city!  

When i i went with my family we did Pike Place (fun, touristy thing!) and took a ferry to whidbey island to explore 
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel