Springsteen at Australia Concert: 'We Stand Before You Embarrassed Americans'

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Women are better than men. This... coming from a man.

Don't get me wrong. I love being a man in all my manliness, but if we are being objective... women are the kinder, gentler gender that our species needs for direction. I believe the world would become a better place if women were placed in the most influential leadership spots.
    This is bullshit.
    Compare the number of men in prison to women, particularly for violent crimes.  That's an easy assessment.  
    So this says women are better than men? C'mon, that is such a bullshit statement.  Just as bad as the reverse.  Someone's sex doesn;t make them better or worse.
    Thirty Bills is going down the path of leadership.  I don't know if that is true or not.  I agree that they have not been given a chance to fuck it up like men have since the beginning of time.  But I am saying that women, on average, are morally superior than men.  Not every single one obviously.  This stat is an easy representation of that.  While when you start comparing races, you get into prejudicial justice system, socioeconomic conditions (which I think is the biggest factor in crime), you can throw most of that out when comparing men to women because I don't believe there is a great disparity between the number of men in poverty compared to women.  They tend to move together.  
    yeah I don;t really agree.  If we could flip a switch and have the traditional gender roles reversed starting back to the beginning of time, I suspect you;d see a very similar world and one with more women in jail than men.  I think all that history and environment and macho crap would be built right into women instead of men.

Again - as we sit today I do feel that women in leadership positions would have a positive effect in a lot of areas.  But over the long haul, it would come back to human nature.  

"If we made everything different from the beginning of time, my argument works" is kind of weak. 
    Really?  But it's a big factor....the gender role over time and how males and females have evolved.  Do you really think 1 gender is "better" than another?  I think this is very dangerous logic.

Ah nevermind, this is a better discussion to have in person.  

My point is that you have reduced massive complexity down to one factor that you are calling "gender role", without taking into account anything that it involves. It is not about one gender being better - no where in my post did I say that. 
    But someone did and you responded to my post saying it’s not true. 
    What? I’m not responsible for what other people say. I’m arguing against your premise that one “simple” little switch naturally flows to the conclusion you think. 

If you want to do a thought experiment, do the thought experiment. Don’t just posit the starting conditions and then jump to the conclusion you like. 
    What are you talking about? Don’t just post my opinion? That’s dumb. 
    Again, I have no idea what you’re arguing now, so I’m not even going to try to reply to it. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Keeping with thread integrity.....

I saw Bruce on Broadway back in March and loved the show so much I'm going back for a second time.

I tried to get tickets last year when I was in the city.. crazy how expensive the resales were.  Alas, I didn't get in.  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mrussel1 said:

I saw Bruce on Broadway back in March and loved the show so much I'm going back for a second time.

I tried to get tickets last year when I was in the city.. crazy how expensive the resales were.  Alas, I didn't get in.  
    The show I went to in March I got mine by walking up to the window at 10:30 day of show (Thursday), and got one of the 8 sold out of the window that day.
    $500 face but no other choice. Well worth it.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mrussel1 said:

The show I went to in March I got mine by walking up to the window at 10:30 day of show (Thursday), and got one of the 8 sold out of the window that day.
    $500? For Bruce? I’d go if paid $500. ;)

But really for a fan that would be a cool show.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mrussel1 said:
    Before I have no children and a barren womb.........
    What does that mean?
    They chose their careers before becoming Mothers and wives...
    What the fuck???
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mrussel1 said:

You must have been right up front, I hope, for that price.  Once in a lifetime experience to see a legend with only his guitar.  There's precious few that can write poetry like Bruce.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You must have been right up front, I hope, for that price.  Once in a lifetime experience to see a legend with only his guitar.  There's precious few that can write poetry like Bruce.  
    Up front runs $850 face
    $500 is rear orch
    But with only 18 rows in the orchestra and no leg room there is no bad seat in the house
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    No leg room sounds like every seat is bad 
    my2hands said:
    Yeah, I remember that about the Tower theater for TOTD.  Had never been there before, but boy were those seats tight.  Like a airplane from 1965.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Yeah, I remember that about the Tower theater for TOTD.  Had never been there before, but boy were those seats tight.  Like a airplane from 1965.  
    I had pretty short legs in 1965 so it’s hard to judge, but it seems to me that legroom in airplanes is getting tighter, not better, as they try to jam more people in. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    my2hands said:
    I guess if you're  over 5'9 then yes
    my2hands said:
    I guess if you're  over 5'9 then yes
    I'm 6'4... with some extra padding... so I don't fit anywhere lol
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    I had pretty short legs in 1965 so it’s hard to judge, but it seems to me that legroom in airplanes is getting tighter, not better, as they try to jam more people in. 
    Agreed. Planes from 1965 would seem like first class compared to economy seats now!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Agreed. Planes from 1965 would seem like first class compared to economy seats now!
    Negative.  Try flying one of those Air Wisconsin regionals that are 1x2 when you are over 6 feet.  They are not better. 
    edited October 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Negative.  Try flying one of those Air Wisconsin regionals that are 1x2 when you are over 6 feet.  They are not better. 
    Oh, I was actually thinking about the big planes for international travel. Not '65 of course, but I remember flying overseas in the early 80s, and damn, even in economy, those were like fucking luxury airliners compared to what you get now! No wonder people used to dress up to fly back then, lol. I'm sure the puddle jumpers have always been tiny like that. But I was just on a new one of those a couple of weeks ago, and as someone who's 5'10", it was ridiculously tiny - I could barely even move! I hate those things!
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Oh, I was actually thinking about the big planes for international travel. Not '65 of course, but I remember flying overseas in the early 80s, and damn, even in economy, those were like fucking luxury airliners compared to what you get now! No wonder people used to dress up to fly back then, lol. I'm sure the puddle jumpers have always been tiny like that. But I was just on a new one of those a couple of weeks ago, and as someone who's 5'10", it was ridiculously tiny - I could barely even move! I hate those things!
    Yeah the old school big dogs were great.  Those are all retired I think, or I haven't been on one in years.  But I get a lot of regional ones because I'm in Richmond and flights to philly,  NYC, etc., are super short.  They are still jets and not props,  but that's the only distinction. 
    Eddie Vedder and his wife went to see Bruce on Broadway last Saturday  (11/10)
    Also took his mom last April.
    Sweet! Who cares? Eddie has already proven to like some bad music in the past. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Bruce is great

But the "1, 2, 3" about 48 times per 4 hour concert gets a bit old lol
    Except in this case, when he proves that he knows the greatest lyricist in modern music history (along with Dylan).  
    mrussel1 said:
    Except in this case, when he proves that he knows the greatest lyricist in modern music history (along with Dylan).  
    Oh, how exciting. You didn’t say he went with Paul McCartney!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:
    Paul's up there, but for those of us that love the US, we can identify with the Americana themes in his music.  Maybe you don't love America, but that's cool. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Paul's up there, but for those of us that love the US, we can identify with the Americana themes in his music.  Maybe you don't love America, but that's cool. 
    I hate Bruce’s America. It’s boring as hell
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Love it or leave it, hippie. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Love it or leave it, hippie. 
    See ya!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bruce is a national treasure and the pride of New Jersey. He talks about real people and hard lives. And many of his songs connect even more deeply as they speak of places, experiences, phrasing and feelings unique to our state.

His concerts are almost spiritual experiences. And I agree with @mrussel1 - his lyrics paint a picture. You can see, smell, feel what he has written.  I haven't seen him on Broadway, even though I signed up as soon as it was announced and was put on the waiting list. I hope I can afford to see his show somehow; it would an intimate experience.  

I'm sorry you don't like him, but music is subjective. We like what we like.  I get that. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So who's America do you like?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    For the record, he said he was an "embaressed american" not embarrassed to be an american" Big differance, no?

Also, is it Bruuuuuuuce! or Brooooooooce!?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Hi! said:
    For the record, he said he was an "embaressed american" not embarrassed to be an american" Big differance, no?

Also, is it Bruuuuuuuce! or Brooooooooce!?
    Bruuuuuuce!!   Even though it sounds like Boos, it could also sound like brews or bruise. But definitely with a soft s, no z.  :smiley:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    :lol: