Options

Springsteen at Australia Concert: 'We Stand Before You Embarrassed Americans'

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    mrussel1 said:
    Women are better than men. This... coming from a man.

Don't get me wrong. I love being a man in all my manliness, but if we are being objective... women are the kinder, gentler gender that our species needs for direction. I believe the world would become a better place if women were placed in the most influential leadership spots.
    This is bullshit.
    Compare the number of men in prison to women, particularly for violent crimes.  That's an easy assessment.  
    So this says women are better than men? C'mon, that is such a bullshit statement.  Just as bad as the reverse.  Someone's sex doesn;t make them better or worse.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Don't get me wrong. I love being a man in all my manliness, but if we are being objective... women are the kinder, gentler gender that our species needs for direction. I believe the world would become a better place if women were placed in the most influential leadership spots.
    This is bullshit.
    Compare the number of men in prison to women, particularly for violent crimes.  That's an easy assessment.  

A super easy assessment.

To boot... the women who have been incarcerated... I'd speculate there was a major male influence that led them down the wrong path. Typically, when I read of women being charged with crimes... they are of the 'accomplice' variety. Or... they are the by-product of some level of horrific abuse at the hands of a male.

I realize I am making generalizations, but I'll stand by them until proven wrong. And good luck doing that lol!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.
    So this says women are better than men? C'mon, that is such a bullshit statement.  Just as bad as the reverse.  Someone's sex doesn;t make them better or worse.

Do you not understand the graph and what it reveals? Variables accounting for such behaviour aside... there's a pretty clear distinction between the nature of the two genders depicted.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

A super easy assessment.

To boot... the women who have been incarcerated... I'd speculate there was a major male influence that led them down the wrong path. Typically, when I read of women being charged with crimes... they are of the 'accomplice' variety. Or... they are the by-product of some level of horrific abuse at the hands of a male.

I realize I am making generalizations, but I'll stand by them until proven wrong. And good luck doing that lol!
    There are a lot less 10 year olds in prison too...does that mean 10 year olds are better and the world would be better if run by 10 year olds?  I think we see that playing out and it's not good.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.
    Thirty Bills is going down the path of leadership.  I don't know if that is true or not.  I agree that they have not been given a chance to fuck it up like men have since the beginning of time.  But I am saying that women, on average, are morally superior than men.  Not every single one obviously.  This stat is an easy representation of that.  While when you start comparing races, you get into prejudicial justice system, socioeconomic conditions (which I think is the biggest factor in crime), you can throw most of that out when comparing men to women because I don't believe there is a great disparity between the number of men in poverty compared to women.  They tend to move together.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

A super easy assessment.

There are a lot less 10 year olds in prison too...does that mean 10 year olds are better and the world would be better if run by 10 year olds?  I think we see that playing out and it's not good.

You should have said 'infants' for best effect! Your argument is pretty weak if you have to resort to comparing 10 year olds and grown men for best qualifications to lead a country.

Grown men and women have an equal footing with regards to mental capacity and emotional intelligence. There's an obvious distinction between men and women with regards to propensity for violence. Individual exceptions aside, men are more violent than women. Period. Not debatable. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.
    Thirty Bills is going down the path of leadership.  I don't know if that is true or not.  I agree that they have not been given a chance to fuck it up like men have since the beginning of time.  But I am saying that women, on average, are morally superior than men.  Not every single one obviously.  This stat is an easy representation of that.  While when you start comparing races, you get into prejudicial justice system, socioeconomic conditions (which I think is the biggest factor in crime), you can throw most of that out when comparing men to women because I don't believe there is a great disparity between the number of men in poverty compared to women.  They tend to move together.  
    yeah I don;t really agree.  If we could flip a switch and have the traditional gender roles reversed starting back to the beginning of time, I suspect you;d see a very similar world and one with more women in jail than men.  I think all that history and environment and macho crap would be built right into women instead of men.

Again - as we sit today I do feel that women in leadership positions would have a positive effect in a lot of areas.  But over the long haul, it would come back to human nature.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.
    yeah I don;t really agree.  If we could flip a switch and have the traditional gender roles reversed starting back to the beginning of time, I suspect you;d see a very similar world and one with more women in jail than men.  I think all that history and environment and macho crap would be built right into women instead of men.

Again - as we sit today I do feel that women in leadership positions would have a positive effect in a lot of areas.  But over the long haul, it would come back to human nature.  

"If we made everything different from the beginning of time, my argument works" is kind of weak. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

Good post. Especially the bolded part.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

"If we made everything different from the beginning of time, my argument works" is kind of weak. 
    Really?  But it's a big factor....the gender role over time and how males and females have evolved.  Do you really think 1 gender is "better" than another?  I think this is very dangerous logic.

Ah nevermind, this is a better discussion to have in person.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

So we agree!

Cheers!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

So we agree!

Cheers!
    Yes we certainly agree as we sit today that we need more women in leadership positions...no doubt.  Strong proponent.  I just really dislike the general statement that one gender is better than the other.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

Really?  But it's a big factor....the gender role over time and how males and females have evolved.  Do you really think 1 gender is "better" than another?  I think this is very dangerous logic.

'Better' might not be the best word. 'Different' would be more appropriate.

Men are not completely useless. We have exceptional strengths.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

'Better' might not be the best word. 'Different' would be more appropriate.

Men are not completely useless. We have exceptional strengths.
    Certainly as it sits today, women would offer a different perspective.  And add to thought diversity....which would be a great thing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

My point is that you have reduced massive complexity down to one factor that you are calling "gender role", without taking into account anything that it involves. It is not about one gender being better - no where in my post did I say that. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I like where this is going
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

I don't know man, your argument is complete conjecture and impossible to even debate, let alone prove.  I'm trying to provide empirical data that represents that men are more prone to criminal activity than women.  And I'm equating that the moral compass, which I think is stronger in women than men... on average.  I'm not using the word better.. not better at math, better at sports, better at doing the laundry.  I'm talking about morality.  
    I don't think this debate is dangerous.  You didn't say something insane like Buck.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

that's pretty friggin funny.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

My point is that you have reduced massive complexity down to one factor that you are calling "gender role", without taking into account anything that it involves. It is not about one gender being better - no where in my post did I say that. 
    But someone did and you responded to my post saying it’s not true. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

Not really, it’s ignoring a lot of variables that have made men and women what they are today.

the women are better than men argument because we have no idea what women would do as they haven’t had the chance yet is pretty weak. I know what men did, women go to jail less currently so they must be better than men. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sorry messed up quote feature. This place sucks on a phone.

you know, perhaps I’m arguing a completely different topic then was meant. So I’ll just stop.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

I clarified.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

What? I’m not responsible for what other people say. I’m arguing against your premise that one “simple” little switch naturally flows to the conclusion you think. 

If you want to do a thought experiment, do the thought experiment. Don’t just posit the starting conditions and then jump to the conclusion you like. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

Not really, it’s ignoring a lot of variables that have made men and women what they are today.

the women are better than men argument because we have no idea what women would do as they haven’t had the chance yet is pretty weak. I know what men did, women go to jail less currently so they must be better than men. 
    At this point I have no idea what you’re arguing. It seems that you’re the one ignoring variables here, which was my point. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

I clarified.
    Ugh...yes I know. Jesus H Christ I’m not communicating well today.  

I wrobgky assumed that often responding to my response to your initial post (which you’ve clarified now) meant that often agreed with you. Apparently this was a mistake and often was only commenting on my specific post. It’s tough to have what I thought was 1 conversation between me a 3 people who disagree with me actually be 3 complete different discussions. Hahahahaha now I’m frustrated as hell at what would have likely been a 2 minute conversation at a bar. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

What? I’m not responsible for what other people say. I’m arguing against your premise that one “simple” little switch naturally flows to the conclusion you think. 

If you want to do a thought experiment, do the thought experiment. Don’t just posit the starting conditions and then jump to the conclusion you like. 
    What are you talking about? Don’t just post my opinion? That’s dumb. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is bullshit.

Of course there are variables.  And there are many tribes around the world that historically had female leaders.  But you're challenging the entire basis of Western Culture for the past 2k+ years.  I'm not saying that women are genetically predisposed to being less corrupt morally than men, I'm saying that's how it is today.  And that is absolutely cultural at some level.  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Keeping with thread integrity.....

I saw Bruce on Broadway back in March and loved the show so much I'm going back for a second time.

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Keeping with thread integrity.....

I saw Bruce on Broadway back in March and loved the show so much I'm going back for a second time.

I've been on a waiting list since he announced his Walter Kerr run. Enjoy!