Kaepernick

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Seems odd that people have forgotten about the “one drop rule” - you know, the one that said that if anyone had “one drop” of African blood they were considered black, and thus not eligible for the privileges of being white? Only ever given any credence in the US, and particularly in the South. 

Seems the right can play whichever side it wants, when it’s convenient for them. 
    For real? I mean c'mon now, plastic man cant even make that big of a stretch lol
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Warren took the bait and that was foolish.  But at the end of the day, Trump also moved the goal posts, no surprise because he is a liar and notoriously cheap with his own money (not ours).  
    If I were NA, I'd be annoyed with both of them.  Trump for using the derogatory term over and over and Warren for being a fool.  

What's preferable, a racist or a fool?  You decide.  
    It's a non-fucking-issue.
    Maybe to you, and certainly in the grand scheme of things, but that's why Warren was stupid.  It was a trap and it was a non-issue until she stooped to her level.  
    Yes, that was what she did, unfortunately.... But surely only the most biased people would let this stupid little issue, this misstep, especially considering the level of frustration that Trump creates, be a deal breaker. If this is all it takes, then minds have been lost.
    Agreed.  I know Warren isn't running (yet), but anyone who hasn't formed a concrete opinion on Trump at this point, just isn't paying the slightest attention.
    I more meant that how frustrating Trump is to Warren herself was a factor in her stooping. Christ, a reasonable woman can only take so much!
    That is certainly a deliberate strategy by Trump.  He isn't stupid.  He's a master at manipulating people.  His supporters are the stupid ones.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I must be hallucinating again..  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my2hands said:
    Seems odd that people have forgotten about the “one drop rule” - you know, the one that said that if anyone had “one drop” of African blood they were considered black, and thus not eligible for the privileges of being white? Only ever given any credence in the US, and particularly in the South. 

Seems the right can play whichever side it wants, when it’s convenient for them. 
    For real? I mean c'mon now, plastic man cant even make that big of a stretch lol
    I have no idea what that response even means :l:lol:

But it’s true that the right used to insist that you were black if you had any black heritage in the slightest, but how convenient that you’re not First Nations if you have any FN heritage. 

Of course, they would be singing a different tune now anyway, when they get their own DNA results and find that their families are not what they believed. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    my2hands said:

But it’s true that the right used to insist that you were black if you had any black heritage in the slightest, but how convenient that you’re not First Nations if you have any FN heritage. 

Of course, they would be singing a different tune now anyway, when they get their own DNA results and find that their families are not what they believed. 
    Yeah... the Nuremberg Laws were very clear on how to establish lineage and what % makes someone a Jew.  DJT jr. is very supportive of the Americanizing of the laws.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    I must be hallucinating again..  :lol:
    Lay off Shrooms...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2018
    my2hands said:

We are holding modern Republicans/Conservatives responsible for something that came out of the 19th century that was adopted by a few states early in the 20th century?

Honestly, that's ridiculous, and quite a stretch
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

We are holding modern Republicans/Conservatives responsible for something that came out of the 19th century that was adopted by a few states early in the 20th century?

Honestly, that's ridiculous
    Well, no, that’s not what I said at all :lol: . How did you get that?

I was drawing a parallel between the belief systems. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I'm in 100% agreement with Amy Schumer that Maroon 5 should turn down playing the super bowl halftime show
    Jason P said:
    I'm in 100% agreement with Amy Schumer that Maroon 5 should turn down playing the super bowl halftime show
    I am too, mostly because I don't want to see them ever again.  
    I would like to see a 35 minute rendition of Hocus Pocus by Focus
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    I am too, mostly because I don't want to see them ever again.  
    +100
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason P said:
    Cool that Rihanna did.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Jason P said:
    Cool that Rihanna did.
    Pink as well
  • Jason P said:
    Cool that Rihanna did.
    Pink as well

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    At this point, whatever act agrees to play it will look like an ass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    What's Three Doors Down up to these days?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Maroon 5 has already been announced.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why? Playing the largest event in the world with a million people watching makes an artist an ass?

Politics is poisoning everything. It's a fucking halftime show lol
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why? Playing the largest event in the world with a million people watching makes an artist an ass?

Politics is poisoning everything. It's a fucking halftime show lol
    I think why I hold that opinion is obvious, whether you happen to agree or not - was that a rhetorical question?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Giants should sign Kaepernick until the end of the season. He won't get sacked as often as Eli.
    I think the NFL has mishandled this from the start,  but they are certainly worried about the dollars.  But I'm glad it has backed off on its stance and is no longer threatening anyone who kneels,  etc. That's a step in the right direction.  You can also see that Trump doesn't see it as a winner anymore,  therefore not harping on it. 

If I were an artist with liberal tendencies,  I would actually play the halftime.  The solution is to expand the viewership beyond its perceived older white crowd,  into something closer to the NBA (yes,  I know that's a long way away).  The NFL needs to be America's league,  not the Republican league. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    eddiec said:
    Giants should sign Kaepernick until the end of the season. He won't get sacked as often as Eli.
    I think the Jags should.  That position is a huge hole for them right now...not sure if he'd be able to shake off the rust in time, but they may as well roll the dice.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    eddiec said:
    I think the Jags should.  That position is a huge hole for them right now...not sure if he'd be able to shake off the rust in time, but they may as well roll the dice.
    Jags.. they are in a free fall with a championship defense. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the NFL has mishandled this from the start,  but they are certainly worried about the dollars.  But I'm glad it has backed off on its stance and is no longer threatening anyone who kneels,  etc. That's a step in the right direction.  You can also see that Trump doesn't see it as a winner anymore,  therefore not harping on it. 

If I were an artist with liberal tendencies,  I would actually play the halftime.  The solution is to expand the viewership beyond its perceived older white crowd,  into something closer to the NBA (yes,  I know that's a long way away).  The NFL needs to be America's league,  not the Republican league. 
    I don't think any halftime show would be able to pull off what you're suggesting.... I have the feeling that no matter who plays it is simply selling out by putting on a full cheez fest. The production of it is always pretty much crap, and it seems to have become completely irrelevant in the whole scheme of things ... as evidence by the fact that Maroon 5 is apparently doing it this year. People are WAY more interested in the commercials than they are the halt time show as far as I can tell. That means something IMO.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't think any halftime show would be able to pull off what you're suggesting.... I have the feeling that no matter who plays it is simply selling out by putting on a full cheez fest. The production of it is always pretty much crap, and it seems to have become completely irrelevant in the whole scheme of things ... as evidence by the fact that Maroon 5 is apparently doing it this year. People are WAY more interested in the commercials than they are the halt time show as far as I can tell. That means something IMO.
    I'm not saying one halftime and certainly not Maroon 5 who suck. My point is the NFL needs to lure back the fans they have alienated and it will take years.  They can't be like NASCAR.  Getting someone like Jayz could help start rebuilding the bridge.  The NFL wasn't divisive when Petty and Prince played,  it was just a big event.  And yes it was cheesy but that's besides the point.  Trump managed to divide the country on the NFL. They need to heal the wound. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not saying one halftime and certainly not Maroon 5 who suck. My point is the NFL needs to lure back the fans they have alienated and it will take years.  They can't be like NASCAR.  Getting someone like Jayz could help start rebuilding the bridge.  The NFL wasn't divisive when Petty and Prince played,  it was just a big event.  And yes it was cheesy but that's besides the point.  Trump managed to divide the country on the NFL. They need to heal the wound. 
    .The NFL is the highest TV show each week and usually has like 7 out of the 10 top shows each week. so yea they are not hurting for fans

and how could Jay-Z (ore pretty much any hip hop artist) play the Super Bowl if you can't curse or use the n-word?  
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    OnWis97 said:
    eddiec said:
    Can we get 1 thing straight?  Kaep was a crappy QB.  Bortles sucks but Kaep is not good.  There is no way Kaep makes the Jags good enough to win a superbowl.  They need to look elsewhere
    hippiemom = goodness