Why does Pearl Jam totally disregard Binaural?

Comments

• B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    .....and Lightning Bolt is their worst album by far
    LOl. To each their own. Binaural was the first time I was ever disappointed in a pj album (along with literally everyone one of my friends who had followed pj since ten). The 2000 tour was kind of flat.  Denmark had something to do with it and anything post yield tour was sure to be a let down. Riot act was an even bigger disappointment for many of us.  Self titled was a nice come back but man oh man, I was not a huge fan of albums 6-7.  
    Hats off to you.  To each their own indeed.  We listen to alot of music in our house, and we are quite fond of experimental, ambient, krautrock, etc. In addition to our rock staples.  So, I appreciate the album quite a bit for that moody/atmospheric feeling it has.  I would ask you...would you still be the fan you are if they kept cranking out iterations of Ten and Vs for the last 28 yrs?   God bless those albums, they put the band on the map, but I don't think that's their finest work, even though they give me warm fuzzies for memories back in the day lol.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    B-Girl said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    LOl. To each their own. Binaural was the first time I was ever disappointed in a pj album (along with literally everyone one of my friends who had followed pj since ten). The 2000 tour was kind of flat.  Denmark had something to do with it and anything post yield tour was sure to be a let down. Riot act was an even bigger disappointment for many of us.  Self titled was a nice come back but man oh man, I was not a huge fan of albums 6-7.  
    Hats off to you.  To each their own indeed.  We listen to alot of music in our house, and we are quite fond of experimental, ambient, krautrock, etc. In addition to our rock staples.  So, I appreciate the album quite a bit for that moody/atmospheric feeling it has.  I would ask you...would you still be the fan you are if they kept cranking out iterations of Ten and Vs for the last 28 yrs?   God bless those albums, they put the band on the map, but I don't think that's their finest work, even though they give me warm fuzzies for memories back in the day lol.
    I personally think their greatest work was no code and yield.  I agree with you though, I would not be as big a fan if they did keep producing ten and vs over and over again. I respect your opinion on binaural however that riot act just aren’t my cup of tea and it seems the band feels the same way. Just my two cents.  I liked binaural and riot act enough to see them 16 times in 00 and 03 so I guess they aren’t that bad lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    I personally think their greatest work was no code and yield.  I agree with you though, I would not be as big a fan if they did keep producing ten and vs over and over again. I respect your opinion on binaural however that riot act just aren’t my cup of tea and it seems the band feels the same way. Just my two cents.  I liked binaural and riot act enough to see them 16 times in 00 and 03 so I guess they aren’t that bad lol. 
    I agree with you that Riot Act wasn't their strongest, I am a Vitalogy/No Code/ Binaural fan myself, Yield finishes a strong fourth.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    its sad they dont play more of binaural..its a masterpiece...
    It is impossible to be a masterpiece when evacuation is on it. 
      its a masterpiece when this song has the best druming of matt
      I don’t care what type of drumming there is it is still a crappy song.  There wasn’t too much crowd energy when they played it in 2000. I d ask your personal opinion on that but only one of us saw them that tour. ;)
    this song has the best drumming of matt,,enough said
    What did you think of Matt s drumming of this song in 03? Wait a second, you didn’t see them that tour either huh? ;)   I ll give you a first hand account: it still wasn’t good live. If it was they’d play it more often. 
        saw them more times than u tho..nanana nanana
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
      I don’t care what type of drumming there is it is still a crappy song.  There wasn’t too much crowd energy when they played it in 2000. I d ask your personal opinion on that but only one of us saw them that tour. ;)
    What did you think of Matt s drumming of this song in 03? Wait a second, you didn’t see them that tour either huh? ;)   I ll give you a first hand account: it still wasn’t good live. If it was they’d play it more often. 
    lol.  I'm stuck on 58, what are you two ahead of me?  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    62,woot
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    the biggest problem is,,we didnt saw them together ,,that sucks!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    THis is true!! Should I start saving for Australia?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    62,woot
    62 since 2006....nice!!!

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited September 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I already told Jess about Australia. Travel time alone is going to kill this possible trip for us I think. Over 32 hrs to get to Sydney. 
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I already told Jess about Australia. Travel time alone is going to kill this possible trip for us I think. Over 32 hrs to get to Sydney. 
    Wow that’s a lot of travel time.  Yeah I seriously doubt Australia will happen. 
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    im going even if its 150 hours travel
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Festivals only would you? If they are straight up shows instead of Big Day Outs I am going to seriously consider this though doubt we can swing it. I have always wanted to go to Australia but feel like that ship has sailed or we will have to wait for our kids to get older to make the trip worth it for all of us. 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Festivals only would you? If they are straight up shows instead of Big Day Outs I am going to seriously consider this though doubt we can swing it. I have always wanted to go to Australia but feel like that ship has sailed or we will have to wait for our kids to get older to make the trip worth it for all of us. 
    yes,im going to australia even for festivals,i dont mind
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No way I d entertain the trip if it was a festival. I might have enough frequent flyer for one ticket but definitely not two. 

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    I have heard Evacuation botched more than once.   But that said...I would generally prefer a few less cover songs and a few more Binaural/RiotAct/Avocado songs per show.   I love a greatly timed "Woah, I cant believe they are playing this" cover song, though.   Like when they played Surrender, or The Boys are Back in Town, or something unusual like that. But yeah, overall, I want to hear their stuff.  They have great songs and a great catalog.   
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Don't understand the Binaural disrespect.

1.8% in 2018? Keep playing Jeremy and ruin Corduroy with yeah yeah yeah. Makes one think.

Was thrilled back in y2k that Binaural tour was my first ever show at Jones Beach, except Ed telling me that night to vote for Nader.Thanks Ed, Nader cost us Supreme Court for 40 years.

Even during Binaural tour Binaural had to fight it out to be the most album played that night, 8.23.2000. This was before the days of 9 covers, At least there was only one , one of their absolute best-

Long Road
    Corduroy
    Grievance
    Gods' Dice
    Animal
    Faithful
    Nothing as It Seems
    Wishlist
    MFC
    Habit
    Even Flow
    Daughter @Info[with "Hold On" tag]
    Better Man
    Leatherman
    Nothingman
    Not for You
    Rearviewmirror

Soon Forget
    Present Tense
    Sleight of Hand
    Last Exit
    Do the Evolution
    State of Love and Trust
    Black
    Fuckin' Up 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    edited October 2018
    To borrow a line from Emek:

”Binaural is the thinking man’s/woman’s/gender neutral’s PJ album.”
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    100 Pacer said:
    To borrow a line from Emek:

”Binaural is the thinking man’s/woman’s/gender neutral’s PJ album.”
    I don't know....I would put Riot Act as that album.  But yeah, they don't play nearly enough Binaural (or RA). 

And I really want Corduroy to be pure.  And I don't want to ever hear RITFW again.  Ever.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Don't understand the Binaural disrespect.

1.8% in 2018? Keep playing Jeremy and ruin Corduroy with yeah yeah yeah. Makes one think.

Was thrilled back in y2k that Binaural tour was my first ever show at Jones Beach, except Ed telling me that night to vote for Nader.Thanks Ed, Nader cost us Supreme Court for 40 years.

Even during Binaural tour Binaural had to fight it out to be the most album played that night, 8.23.2000. This was before the days of 9 covers, At least there was only one , one of their absolute best-

Long Road
    Corduroy
    Grievance
    Gods' Dice
    Animal
    Faithful
    Nothing as It Seems
    Wishlist
    MFC
    Habit
    Even Flow
    Daughter @Info[with "Hold On" tag]
    Better Man
    Leatherman
    Nothingman
    Not for You
    Rearviewmirror

Soon Forget
    Present Tense
    Sleight of Hand
    Last Exit
    Do the Evolution
    State of Love and Trust
    Black
    Fuckin' Up 
    Nader had zero material impact on the makeup of the supreme court.  There were no openings in the court during the period of January 20, 2001 thru January 20, 2005.   Impossible to tell had Gore won in 2000 that he would have been reelected in 2004.  

Back to Binuaral, it would be beneficial for the band to get back to playing a bit more of the 1998 through 2003 material at this point.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I'd love to see Corduroy, DTE, Betterman.....those types of songs....become a rarity for a tour or two.  Then people would go nuts for them.  
    I was thrilled to see/hear Thin Air at Seattle 2.  But Mike opted not to play the slide guitar on it, which was either an oversight or just too out of practice to try that in front of 45,000 people. I miss songs like Insignificance, God's Dice and Breakerfall being played more regularly.  I've always loved Evacuation and Rival but those were fairly rare, even in 2000. 
    I also feel that Binaural was the first good album cover the band ever did.  The artwork on the first 5 albums wasn't good, in my opinion.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    Oh man, I thought you were coming around!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I've grown to love Binaural and would like to hear more of it. I'd also like to see them spread the set list out a bit amongst all of the albums. Having said that I hope they leave Evacuation off the set list. That song is like Ipecac for me...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • I've grown to love Binaural and would like to hear more of it. I'd also like to see them spread the set list out a bit amongst all of the albums. Having said that I hope they leave Evacuation off the set list. That song is like Ipecac for me...
    Evacuation isn't a song I like much either. Always skipped it when Binaural came out. In fact, I considered it the worst Pearl Jam song ever until the likes of The Fixer came along. But having said all that, I saw them perform Evacuation at MSG in '03, and to my complete shock, it was pretty awesome. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    B-Girl said:
    Oh man, I thought you were coming around!

I changed by not changing at all. ;)
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    The songs on the record weren’t the problem, there are some real gems on there, it just lacked that certain fire that the previous albums had and the mastering left the record sounding muddy if it wasn’t played on a high end system, it was a mistake at a time when things were moving digital fast.  Overall the album feels dull, and to be honest, just unispired. It would have been a shame if they called it quits there because Riot Act and Avacado showed fans they still have some great material left to share
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    KN219077 said:
    The songs on the record weren’t the problem, there are some real gems on there, it just lacked that certain fire that the previous albums had and the mastering left the record sounding muddy if it wasn’t played on a high end system, it was a mistake at a time when things were moving digital fast.  Overall the album feels dull, and to be honest, just unispired. It would have been a shame if they called it quits there because Riot Act and Avacado showed fans they still have some great material left to share
    Yikes.
    I feel the exact opposite of you, lol. I think it's their best album. It is certainly a more sullen and dark album, but dull and uninspired and bad sound??! I know we all have our opinions and it's subjective, but I feel like you've just called my baby ugly or said my ass looks fat in this dress. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    Yikes.
    I feel the exact opposite of you, lol. I think it's their best album. It is certainly a more sullen and dark album, but dull and uninspired and bad sound??! I know we all have our opinions and it's subjective, but I feel like you've just called my baby ugly or said my ass looks fat in this dress. :lol:;)
    I think he's dead-on. Songs like Grievance and Insignificance, which totally fucking rock, just....don't on the record. I think that "Binaural" recording method that they used worked okay on Light Years, NAIS, and Of The Girl (though, they're all way better live too), but the rockers like Breakerfall, God's Dice, Insignificance and Grievance just seem to be missing something compared to other rockers from that era like Brain of J or Save You. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I think Binaural is a better album as a whole than Riot Act and Avocado (and, obviously, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt). Sure there might be a few bigger/bolder songs like Save You, I Am Mine, WWS, and Life Wasted on albums #7 and #8 they also have four or five songs each that I'd consider to be "filler." I don't think this is the case with Binaural (although it has a couple of duds).
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    Yikes.
    While your ass may look fat in your dress, your baby is not ugly and neither is Binaural.    This is a sentiment I cannot wrap my head around.  I think in the great hindsight is you know 20/20 (which as it turns out is okay but not the best) arguments can be made for putting Fatal, Education and Sad on the record.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652