***Chris Cornell Official Thread***

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited June 2018 in Other Music

CHRIS CORNELL RELEASES NEW SONG 'THE PROMISE' TODAY!
FEATURED IN FORTHCOMING FILM THE PROMISE STARRING CHRISTIAN BALE AND OSCAR ISAAC
PROCEEDS TO INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE

Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell releases a new original song entitled “The Promise” today. Chris wrote the song for the forthcoming feature film The Promise, starring Academy Award winning actor Christian Bale and Golden Globe winning actor Oscar Isaac. The Promise is directed by Terry George and will be released in theatres on April 21, 2017 by Open Road Films.

Chris has unveiled a lyric video for the song today which can be seen HERE and the song is now available at all streaming services and digital retailers:

iTunes: http://smarturl.it/iTunesThePromise

Apple Music: http://smarturl.it/ThePromiseApple

Spotify: http://smarturl.it/ThePromiseSpotify

Chris will donate his proceeds from the song to the International Rescue Committee. The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster.

Chris's involvement in The Promise stemmed from his close friendship with the film’s producer, Eric Esrailian. Having married into a Greek family, Chris had been exposed for years to stories about similar treatment suffered by the Greeks at the hands of the Turkish-ruled Ottoman Empire. "If it’s something you or your family members went through, it’s something you’re faced with confronting on a daily basis,” he said.

Immersed in these stories and after further research, he was inspired by the strength and perseverance of those who were affected by these tragic events. Chris aimed to help tell the story of the film, but also to connect it to the kind of brutality we still face today.

“The film and plot are your band mates and the song has to be true to the story and the characters in it,” he added. “’The Promise’ to me is mainly about paying homage to those we lost in the Armenian Genocide, but it’s also about shining a light on more recent atrocities. The same methods used in the Armenian genocide were used to carry out crimes against humanity in Bosnia, Darfur, Rwanda and right now in Syria on multiple fronts, contributing to a massive global refugee crisis. Unfortunately, the words ‘never again’ seem like just words when we recall these mass executions of the twentieth century, as well as renewed racism and prejudice around the world. Even in the US, the warning signs - isolating groups based on race and religion - are evident. We really need to tell these stories and keep telling them in as many different ways as we can. As humans, we have a tremendous capacity to trudge ahead in our lives and not look at the difficult and challenging moments… but I think it’s important. Educating ourselves on the past is the best way to understand the present and avoid future atrocities by understanding and intervening. We must educate and stand as one to combat this fear and violence, and as citizens of the world, work to protect each other’s human rights.”

Directed by Academy Award winning filmmaker Terry George (Hotel Rwanda, Reservation Road, The Shore), The Promise takes place in 1914. As the Great War looms, the mighty Ottoman Empire is crumbling. Constantinople, the once vibrant, multicultural capital on the shores of the Bosporus, is about to be consumed by chaos. Michael Boghosian (Oscar Isaac), arrives in the cosmopolitan hub as a medial student determined to bring modern medicine back to Siroun, his ancestral village in Southern Turkey where Turkish Muslims and Armenian Christians have lived side by side for centuries. Photojournalist Chris Myers (Christian Bale) has come here only partly to cover geo-politics. He is mesmerized by his love for Ana (Charlotte le Bon), an Armenian artist he has accompanied from Paris after the sudden death of her father. When Michael meets Ana, their shared Armenian heritage sparks an attraction that explodes into a romantic rivalry between the two men. As the Turks form an alliance with Germany and the Empire turns violently against its own ethnic minorities, their conflicting passions must be deferred while they join forces to survive even as events threaten to overwhelm them.

To watch the trailer for the film, click HERE and for more information on the film visit www.thepromise.movie.
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Love it.

Does anybody know why there is a version with Slash that comes on after Cornell's Promise (in YouTube)?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Love it.

Does anybody know why there is a version with Slash that comes on after Cornell's Promise (in YouTube)?

same song? or different song? it might just be a fan made lyric video.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited July 2017
    I have recently checked out Euphoria Mourning and Songbook. I've always just known his work with Soundgarden.
    I love both albums. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Heard The promise on swedish radio, that was pretty surprising. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Its amazing how much he did in and out of Soundgarden. So much to be appreciated but Euphoria Morning stands tallest for me. I carried that CD everywhere I went back in college. My Grandpa died the yr it came out & that record was a steady companion when I didn't feel like talking to anyone. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited August 2017
    Its amazing how much he did in and out of Soundgarden. So much to be appreciated but Euphoria Morning stands tallest for me. I carried that CD everywhere I went back in college. My Grandpa died the yr it came out & that record was a steady companion when I didn't feel like talking to anyone. 
    It's like my best friend right now. Always playing it. I got my friend a copy and he loves it too.
    I don't know why the album isn't praised more.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    when it came out I had it on constant repeat. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited August 2017
    It's like my best friend right now. Always playing it. I got my friend a copy and he loves it too.
    I don't know why the album isn't praised more.
    Pretty close to the time SG broke up - I think the expectation was that Chris was going to continue the SG sound - which EM didn't. It captured I think, the real Chris Cornell. The guy was pretty harsh on his guitar playing, but I think its fucking brilliant. Those demos from the Singles soundtrack reissue? Fuck.
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
    it's weird. it still doesn't seem real. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Toni and Chris release a duet studio version of Nothing Compares 2 U on iTunes today. All proceeds to charity. she's got a great voice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so amazon has a new release of cornell material coming up on Nov 16...it's 4 discs. no one knows yet what it will contain. but now cornell's social media pages have changed his picture, and also hashtagged #whenbaddoesgood and has the date September 21st. 

so I guess maybe in a week or so we might know more. I can't imagine there would be any new, unreleased material released this soon. I think it might just be his solo stuff reissued as one set or something. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    so amazon has a new release of cornell material coming up on Nov 16...it's 4 discs. no one knows yet what it will contain. but now cornell's social media pages have changed his picture, and also hashtagged #whenbaddoesgood and has the date September 21st. 

so I guess maybe in a week or so we might know more. I can't imagine there would be any new, unreleased material released this soon. I think it might just be his solo stuff reissued as one set or something. 
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • silvosilvo Posts: 283
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Was listening to Spotify and this song came on....You Never Knew My Mind. I think it's a Johnny Cash song but damn, it's so fucking good!!

Still can't believe we are living without.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • silvosilvo Posts: 283
    Was listening to Spotify and this song came on....You Never Knew My Mind. I think it's a Johnny Cash song but damn, it's so fucking good!!

I agree, I think his version of that song is fantastic and hits home even more knowing its possibly the last thing we'll hear his voice on

it's actually a JC poem that CC put music to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073

it's actually a JC poem that CC put music to. 
    You are correct....am so glad I came across this song. Kind of heartbreaking to hear him sing those verses.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-chris-cornells-cover-of-johnny-cashs-you-never-knew-my-mind-253615/ 
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    To me Audioslave was the best material with Chris. Just clicks the most for me. 

Miss this guy
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited October 2018
    Some photos of the Chris Cornell statue in Seattle are on his Instagram page now

Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    sounds like they might be doing something with When Bad Does Good for Black Friday Record Store Day, maybe releasing it as a single.
  • I hope they make music together again.  I guess the big question is whether they would still  use the name Soundgarden.  I'm fairly open minded, and don't have a problem with STP and AIC going ahead with new singers because I think they fit the dynamic of those bands, however I think Chris' role was too big a part of Soundgarden to be replaced, so I don't think it would be the same or appropriate.  

If I could hope for any singer to sing with them it would probably be Mark Lanegan, it would be different because his voice is way different to Chris', but I think he would fit their vibe pretty well.  
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Soundgarden is surely done. I'd love to hear the 3 guys working on a new project though. They're too good to go to waste.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • If they get inducted in the RORHF, I wonder how they'll do then. My guess is Eddie would join.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I guess they could bring on Jerry Cantrell and Heart to do some stuff, the people who know them and who have played their songs in the past.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    If they get inducted in the RORHF, I wonder how they'll do then. My guess is Eddie would join.
    I think vocally, Ed with SG would be a disaster. it should either be ann wilson or Ian thornley, who actually has a loose connection to Chris, as they both wrote records and are friends with Alain Johannes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Edved82 said:
    Soundgarden is surely done. I'd love to hear the 3 guys working on a new project though. They're too good to go to waste.
    That's how I feel.  I think the comments about working together are probably directed towards a non SG project.
    anyone buy the 4 cd box? I was holding it in my hands, but the $74.99 (CDN) price seemed pretty steep for mostly material I already have. is the booklet any good? Lots of pics or anything worth noting?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD