Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    There has always been this thing, comparing Sweden and the US again, about us having "Systembolaget" (a government run chain of stores having monopoly on selling alcohol above 3,5%) that is like "unique" or odd or whatever.

But when i was in Philadelphia it seemed to the be the same system, with only certain places (Wine Store?) being allowed to sell Wines and hard liquer. And Beer being sold in separate stores. Isn't that a pretty similar system...
    That is a Pennsylvania thing, Each state has their own rules. In New Jersey you can go to a liquor store and get wine, beer and vodka. 
    Yeah i know, in NY it was different. But then it's not unheard of. I was surprised by it. Going from NY to Philly too, and having to re-adjust my liquor-buying ways. Bought my mom some wine from Pennsylvania, and my dad some american light beers. Haha.
    Yeah it is a real pain in the ass. I think In Pennsylvania you can only buy cases of beer. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do think America is the best in:
    wine. (Napa cabs are superior imo)
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

our national park system is also great.  From what I have seen in Canada I think their national park system is comparable. 
    In wine??..come on Mike!!..not even third on the world..
    What is one and two?  I think French wine is way overrated.  I do love Italian whites but to me California cabs are the best reds out there. 
    Argentina, Chile, Greece and the new power on wine is Georgia..love Italian rose and Bourgogne wines are classics..

Greek and Georgian wine?! Say what? Red or white?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    1- Children kidnapped at borders
    2- President sides with known murderer’s 
    3- country is totally divided
    it all adds up to a giant NO !
    It's interesting that 2 years can swing so much.  Was the USA a great country before Trump?  During Obama admin?
    It def felt different when Obama was in office, did he publicly embrace known dictators? 
    We’re kids being separated at the border in the same fashion as what happened this past summer ? But you know what my 403 was killing it before this latest set back so all is great in America..
    So then, in 2 years in your opinion, snide comments aside, America has gone from a great country to a bad one?
    Ok let's not use bad how about way different ? let me ask you do you find it to be still the same country ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do think America is the best in:
    wine. (Napa cabs are superior imo)
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

our national park system is also great.  From what I have seen in Canada I think their national park system is comparable. 
    In wine??..come on Mike!!..not even third on the world..
    What is one and two?  I think French wine is way overrated.  I do love Italian whites but to me California cabs are the best reds out there. 
    Argentina, Chile, Greece and the new power on wine is Georgia..love Italian rose and Bourgogne wines are classics..

Greek and Georgian wine?! Say what? Red or white?
    Yes, Greek wine, first time you heard of this Mike??..you should check about Georgia..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • For gawds sakes people... Scruffy clearly doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to wine. He places ice cubes in his shiraz.

Give him Baby Duck and he'd be thinking he was drinking a royal reserve.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    For gawds sakes people... Scruffy clearly doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to wine. He places ice cubes in his shiraz.

Give him Baby Duck and he'd be thinking he was drinking a royal reserve.
    Baby duck?
    And I was drinking a cab last night!!!  Yeah I have never had greek wine, I don't even think any stores around me carry it.  I'll have to check it out.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    edited October 2018
    I gotta say...Ice cubes in wine makes no sense. It’s like drinking a good beer from a frosted mug...also a very bad idea

Damn iphone and the stupid mobile version of this site. messes up typing and then I can't even see my text and have to do weird crap just to be able to get the submit button to be on screen.  I can't believe it remains this bad.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    It's interesting that 2 years can swing so much.  Was the USA a great country before Trump?  During Obama admin?
    It def felt different when Obama was in office, did he publicly embrace known dictators? 
    We’re kids being separated at the border in the same fashion as what happened this past summer ? But you know what my 403 was killing it before this latest set back so all is great in America..
    So then, in 2 years in your opinion, snide comments aside, America has gone from a great country to a bad one?
    Ok let's not use bad how about way different ? let me ask you do you find it to be still the same country ? 
    It’s the same country. Some policies moving in a different direction. I do wonder m, if trump is president for 8 years what the US will look like. It concerns me
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dignin said:
    And suddenly Canadians are even friendlier than they already were.
    It’s the same country. Some policies moving in a different direction. I do wonder m, if trump is president for 8 years what the US will look like. It concerns me
    Good point. I don’t really feel or see anything different in my neck of the woods except that Democrats are on the wrong side of the equation. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good point. I don’t really feel or see anything different in my neck of the woods except that Democrats are on the wrong side of the equation. 

Well, there are other things than "your neck of the woods" which should concern a thinking, breathing person. This is your elected president, the most powerful leader in the world:

“My uncle was a great professor at MIT for many years. Dr. John Trump,” he said. “And I didn’t talk to him about this particular subject, but I have a natural instinct for science, and I will say that you have scientists on both sides of the picture.”

Concerning climate change. Which affects everyones neck of the woods.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:

Well, there are other things than "your neck of the woods" which should concern a thinking, breathing person. This is your elected president, the most powerful leader in the world:

“My uncle was a great professor at MIT for many years. Dr. John Trump,” he said. “And I didn’t talk to him about this particular subject, but I have a natural instinct for science, and I will say that you have scientists on both sides of the picture.”

Concerning climate change. Which affects everyones neck of the woods.
    Somebody got a new picture book after executive time.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't even care. I buy BC wines exclusively now, just to support the local economy. Luckily, BC wines are some of the best in the world too. Most Americans wouldn't know that though, apparently. I tried to find some BC wines when I was down there, and there was literally not a single bottle on the shelves in any of the stores I went to.
    There are some good ones and some crap ones, and all tend to be overpriced, with the good ones at the extreme. Most good BC wines aren’t worth what they’re asking. 
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good or bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    Could your sister recommend any non-alcoholic wines? De-alcoholized wine. California used to make some decent ones - Ariel - but they don't make them anymore and the other stuff available is shit. Hoping she might know. I'll throw in USA/Canada to be thread appropriate.

And I put ice cubes in red wine also - it's good for your heart but bad for migraines (the wine, not the ice cubes). 

Thanks Ali.
    I'm afraid not Nancy. She's never even tried any non-alcoholic wines and doesn't know anything about it. :(
    Thanks anyway. Used to be able to get Ariel by the case each month - then it just disappeared. Demand not high enough, or not profitable enough. 

Looking around online, I saw this article. It seems to be updated as of October, and they are still listing Ariel, though I didn't actually try to order any, so I don't know if it's still valid. There are a couple of others listed but they may fall into your category of "crap". 

https://www.wineturtle.com/best-non-alcoholic-wine/
    I'll check it out - thank you very much. 
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    @njnancy
    I am not sure where you live in nj but every liquor store that I have been too in monmouth county (howell area) has a non-alcholic wine section.  I think "frei" is one brand.
    I'm in Bergen County - across from Manhattan. Sutter Home makes Fre'. I think they were the first to come out with a NA wine.  The non-alcoholic wine is usually found by the Martinelli sparkling juice and mixers, if a liquor store has any by me. 

I can find Fre' in most supermarkets so I'll get a bottle sometimes. It's not really that good, but it is the most reliable. 

Thanks.  :)

mcgruff10
    said:
    There has always been this thing, comparing Sweden and the US again, about us having "Systembolaget" (a government run chain of stores having monopoly on selling alcohol above 3,5%) that is like "unique" or odd or whatever.

But when i was in Philadelphia it seemed to the be the same system, with only certain places (Wine Store?) being allowed to sell Wines and hard liquer. And Beer being sold in separate stores. Isn't that a pretty similar system...
    That is a Pennsylvania thing, Each state has their own rules. In New Jersey you can go to a liquor store and get wine, beer and vodka. 
    In New Jersey, you can buy wine beer and liquor in most supermarkets, bodegas, bars also. Just not till after 12 on Sunday here in Blue Law Bergen County.

This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only:
    • Alabama.
    • Idaho.
    • New Hampshire (sold tax-free, attracting many out-of-state customers)
    • North Carolina (stores are run by individual counties and cities)
    • Pennsylvania.
    • Utah.
    • Virginia.
    • Washington.

There are also alcohol content laws by state, as well as other rules. 

Didn't realize how complicated booze buying was. Not sure if it's gotten stricter since I stopped drinking or if I was unaware because of New Jersey's ample availability. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @njnancy
    I am not sure where you live in nj but every liquor store that I have been too in monmouth county (howell area) has a non-alcholic wine section.  I think "frei" is one brand.
    I'm in Bergen County - across from Manhattan. Sutter Home makes Fre'. I think they were the first to come out with a NA wine.  The non-alcoholic wine is usually found by the Martinelli sparkling juice and mixers, if a liquor store has any by me. 

I can find Fre' in most supermarkets so I'll get a bottle sometimes. It's not really that good, but it is the most reliable. 

mcgruff10
    said:

In New Jersey, you can buy wine beer and liquor in most supermarkets, bodegas, bars also. Just not till after 12 on Sunday here in Blue Law Bergen County.

This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only:
    • Alabama.
    • Idaho.
    • Pennsylvania.
    • Utah.
    • Virginia.
    • Washington.

Didn't realize how complicated booze buying was. Not sure if it's gotten stricter since I stopped drinking or if I was unaware because of New Jersey's ample availability. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    dignin said:
    ^^This^^
    edited October 2018
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @njnancy

mcgruff10
    said:

• Alabama.
    • Idaho.
    • Pennsylvania.
    • Utah.
    • Virginia.
    • Washington.

Thanks for the laugh.  =)
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    njnancy said:
    dignin said:
    ^^This^^
    Yeah, well,  not according to everybody here :lol:  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    @Spiritual_Chaos   Zoodles!!! Zucchini olive oil, garlic , pesto and parm. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Haha. Was close to take a picture of the cauliflower I ate today for lunch and upload. But forgot.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mcgruff10 said:

lol yeah ok ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mcgruff10 said:

Haha. Was close to take a picture of the cauliflower I ate today for lunch and upload. But forgot.
    All of my kids had seconds. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Will make that dish to my wine this weekend. On friday.
    njnancy said:
    dignin said:
    ^^This^^
    Yeah, well,  not according to everybody here :lol:  
    Hey besides the ice cubes in my wine you and I have been smoking the peace pipe lately. I like it!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is what we used to make the zoodles. Greatest name ever for a product.  It is on top of the thread for some reason. The vegetti!!
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is what we used to make the zoodles. Greatest name ever for a product.  It is on top of the thread for some reason. The vegetti!!
    Anything that makes the gluten go away keeps my son's small bowel intact!  You can also steam a spaghetti squash and use that instead of pasta. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Anything that makes the gluten go away keeps my son's small bowel intact!  You can also steam a spaghetti squash and use that instead of pasta. 
    Spaghetti squash pasta with pesto and some pepitas is amazing. I made a few of those in the last couple weeks and the kids loved it. Spaghetti squash is awesome. You just cut it in half, roast it and then use a fork to scrape out the long stands of "noodles".
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Spaghetti squash is pretty good, as long as it isn’t too watery. 
    “Vegetti ” kinda sounds like a mob term to me.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:

To me, these are Zoodles and always will be!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.