2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    my2hands said:
    Arena or bust for me

I'm done with stadium shows for about a decade
    I always try to go to the shows in the Vancouver/Seattle area.  I'd have a hard time skipping one, even it was a stadium.

I'm with you though.  We went to see the Foo Fighters in Vancouver a month after the Stadium shows in Seattle.   There weren't really any lineups, we didn't have to get there to early.   No problems (or much for lineups) to buy a poster/tshirt.   We even found a nice place to hangout and have a beer while we waited for them to start playing.   There was barely any waiting, barely any lineups, and everything was so effortless.   The stadium shows (Especially if you have GA) involve a lot of waiting.  Even for people like me who only lineup a few hours before doors to get 10-15 rows deep.

When you're in the pit at a Stadium show.   It's pretty epic.  Once you've endured all the waiting it's pretty magic.   All that energy and you're at the front of it.  The band feeds off it and it's pretty amazing.    I can't believe I'd say it, but Arena show's now feel alot more intimate.

I'm not sure PJ can play smaller venues in these bigger cities now.  Could you imagine them playing 2 shows at united centre in Chicago when they've consistently sold out two stadium shows.   The demand for tickets would be overwhelming.

Maybe they'll do what the Foo Fighters do.  Mix it up.  Stadium shows for big markets and arenas for smaller ones.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Zod said:
    my2hands said:
    Arena or bust for me

I always try to go to the shows in the Vancouver/Seattle area.  I'd have a hard time skipping one, even it was a stadium.

I'm with you though.  We went to see the Foo Fighters in Vancouver a month after the Stadium shows in Seattle.   There weren't really any lineups, we didn't have to get there to early.   No problems (or much for lineups) to buy a poster/tshirt.   We even found a nice place to hangout and have a beer while we waited for them to start playing.   There was barely any waiting, barely any lineups, and everything was so effortless.   The stadium shows (Especially if you have GA) involve a lot of waiting.  Even for people like me who only lineup a few hours before doors to get 10-15 rows deep.

When you're in the pit at a Stadium show.   It's pretty epic.  Once you've endured all the waiting it's pretty magic.   All that energy and you're at the front of it.  The band feeds off it and it's pretty amazing.    I can't believe I'd say it, but Arena show's now feel alot more intimate.

I'm not sure PJ can play smaller venues in these bigger cities now.  Could you imagine them playing 2 shows at united centre in Chicago when they've consistently sold out two stadium shows.   The demand for tickets would be overwhelming.

Maybe they'll do what the Foo Fighters do.  Mix it up.  Stadium shows for big markets and arenas for smaller ones.
    The stadium shows demand is only heightened by playing just 7 US shows in the course of 2 years.  Other bands play shows at arenas and smaller venues, it is really about planning and such.

There is no reason that Pearl Jam can't do arena and shed tours just like Phish, Dave Matthews Band etc, who generally play most venues at least 2 if not 3 times.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    my2hands said:
    Arena or bust for me

I agree. Time to go back to playing arenas. After Wrigley 2 (2018) I'm burned out with Stadiums.

I'm old. Deal with it.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Zod said:
    my2hands said:
    Arena or bust for me

I can imagine it. Charge closer to market value for arena shows and for prime seats.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    What about big cities like Houston and Atlanta for example that havn't got any shows in a while?  Should they get a stadium or arena show?  I prefer arena shows as well but I'm definitely not going to pass on a stadium show if its my only option.   
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    JojoRice said:
    What about big cities like Houston and Atlanta for example that havn't got any shows in a while?  Should they get a stadium or arena show?  I prefer arena shows as well but I'm definitely not going to pass on a stadium show if its my only option.   

I would prefer a 2-night arena/amphitheater in Atlanta/Houston but the efficiency of the stadiums and ability to cover more ground, more fans with a lower # of shows appears to be a solid model.  They have not tried stadiums outside their sweet spots (NW, Chicago, NE).  I have no doubt Stadium in other large markets would sell out but they may not be as 10C friendly as Sea, Chi, and Boston.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    wbutler29 said:
    JojoRice said:

I would prefer a 2-night arena/amphitheater in Atlanta/Houston but the efficiency of the stadiums and ability to cover more ground, more fans with a lower # of shows appears to be a solid model.  They have not tried stadiums outside their sweet spots (NW, Chicago, NE).  I have no doubt Stadium in other large markets would sell out but they may not be as 10C friendly as Sea, Chi, and Boston.
    Not so sure I see the efficiency in the stadium shows.

There is a need for the facilities to have a day in between shows, there is a partial breakdown after night 1 (minimal, but still) whereas you can play a venue like an Amphitheater or the assorted Arenas/Centers 2 to 3 nights in some cases with little to no breakdown and get the same general capacity.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    JojoRice said:
    States that flip from Republican to Democrat are getting 4 hour stadium shows in 2019.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited October 2018
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• exileexile Dublin Posts: 82
    edited October 2018

Post edited by exile on
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited October 2018
    Zod said:

If they broke their current format and announced multiple countries at once AND more than 5-10 USA cities, then maybe they could do two nights at the United Center.

More tickets on sale for more countries would lead to a lower demand for any one country's tickets.

Example...if they announced something like this all at once in February. "Here are the dates for the entire year. Tickets go on sale throughout the year. Stay tuned for more info.

March 18 -- Southern Brazil
    March 20 -- Southern Brazil
    March 25 -- Argentina
    March 29 -- Colombia
    April 2 -- Northern Brazil
    April 3 -- Northern Brazil
    April 10 -- Mexico City
    April 10 -- Mexico City
    June 29 -- England
    June 30 -- England
    July 5 -- France
    July 7 -- Spain
    July 12 -- Italy
    July 14 -- Italy
    July 18 -- Germany
    September 2 -- Chicago
    September 3 -- Chicago
    September 15 -- Cleveland
    September 17 -- Buffalo
    September 22 -- NYC
    September 23 -- NYC
    November 5 -- LA
    November 6 -- LA
    November 14 -- Seattle
    November 15 -- Seattle

Because they'd be doing two in NYC, LA and Seattle, people who just toured all over Europe may not feel the need to go...or they give their credit cards a rest.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Starting to think we get album (or at least announcement) sooner than later. Maybe by end of this year.
    If anything is planned for early 2019 (Australia or SA), it would probably have to be announced pretty soon. Someone mentioned them playing SA in 2019, so I'm thinking they announce some April shows for 2019 (similar to what Radiohead did in 2018). 5-6 shows.
    Summer tours in Europe are usually announced the preceding December. I think Dimi mentioned a new album always means a tour in Europe the following summer. June-July. 12-14 shows.
    Late summer/fall NA shows could be announced around May (like in '14). West coast is due, but I'm sure major markets will get a show or two (maybe a festival appearance or two in lieu of stadiums). August-Sept. 8-10 shows.
    Shows on three continents. Somewhere around 25-30 shows total.
    Australia gets shows in early 2020.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    chiefnjk said:
    Starting to think we get album (or at least announcement) sooner than later. Maybe by end of this year.
    If anything is planned for early 2019 (Australia or SA), it would probably have to be announced pretty soon. Someone mentioned them playing SA in 2019, so I'm thinking they announce some April shows for 2019 (similar to what Radiohead did in 2018). 5-6 shows.
    Summer tours in Europe are usually announced the preceding December. I think Dimi mentioned a new album always means a tour in Europe the following summer. June-July. 12-14 shows.
    Late summer/fall NA shows could be announced around May (like in '14). West coast is due, but I'm sure major markets will get a show or two (maybe a festival appearance or two in lieu of stadiums). August-Sept. 8-10 shows.
    Shows on three continents. Somewhere around 25-30 shows total.
    Australia gets shows in early 2020.
    agree, Australia soon my guess
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Having been to Australia 4 times since 2010, and each time for either U2 or Bruce tours, I'd say 2020 would be fine. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Hello? Greek? Where are you and your infinite wisdom. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Hello? Greek? Where are you and your infinite wisdom. 
    He said he has no info on Europe 2019 on Facebook. 

I personally would highly doubt they do Europe 2 years in a row but who knows. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    I won’t believe it until I see it posted on Alternative Nation. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited October 2018
    Today is 17th october 2018,till this day
    Nothing booked  in ireland or  anywhere else
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    on2legs said:
    https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-rumored-huge-2019-shows-planned-done/
    Kearnsy
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141

No PJ Euro Tour 2019. Maybe 2020, only time will tell.

"I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Before things are "booked", they can be "planned", "proposed", "pending permits", or whatever...
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • cardosocardoso Porto Alegre-BR Posts: 1,460
  • J_Vedder1968J_Vedder1968 portugal Posts: 28
    edited October 2018
    raindog80 said:

Pj Played in Europe 2006/2007, 2009/2010 so 2018/2019 is possible too.
    Post edited by J_Vedder1968 on
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    raindog80 said:

Pj Played in Europe 2009 & 2010 so 2018/2019 is possible too.
    Also 2006 & 2007
    Kearnsy
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Kearn5y said:
    on2legs said:
    https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-rumored-huge-2019-shows-planned-done/
    Lol. 

Now we know it will never happen. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Assuming we get a new album soon, hopefully a full US tour will follow.  Preferably in the summer so this teacher can make a lot of shows  ;)
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JABKJABK Finland Posts: 293
    This is the time of the year when rumours start to appear, so I'm hoping for a new album soon and I wouldn't mind the boys coming to Europe next Summer since the Nordic countries got totally neglected last summer. Finland's been overlooked for 25 years now so COME ON...MAKE IT HAPPEN!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Zod said:
    my2hands said:
    Arena or bust for me

I went to the Wrigleys and that is all the Stadium show experience I need.  

If there is one within a 3 hour drive, I will consider it.  Otherwise, I'm not up for travelling for the whole thing.  Flights, hotels, waiting, obsessing about weather, etc.  I had reserved seats and felt like I was a mile away.  I had pit the other night and felt like I was in a battle the whole time.  The merch thing no longer calls to me.  Sound isnt great.  Venue not designed for that many people, Hard curfew, etc.
  • xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138

Hoping for arena shows too, stadium shows and weather are a bummer.
    They haven't played Iowa in forever.
    They could come back to Moline, I can just drive 5 minutes to the venue.
    I think Alpine Valley is doing shows again.
    2 nights in Chicago at the UC or something would be cool but as mentioned above, getting tickets will be horrendous after 2 sold out Wrigley shows this year. BUT I'd assume they'll do more shows than just 7 in the US so people may not go ape shit to be at the Chicago dates if they have more to choose from.

Or they can take a pay cut and play my backyard, it would be a nice semi-intimate crowd and I could bring my dog.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018