Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    A lot of people went out and bought Nike gear to show support.  The boycotters?  Their impact will be felt over time as they buy other stuff.  Ultimately I doubt this will have an Earth-shattering impact either way.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751
    attorney says there will he announcement in a week or so. speculation there are 2 teams in talks...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Buffalo could be an option.  I think as long as you have marginal eyesight and can throw a five yard out you may be qualified to start for them. 
  • Options
    I do have to give the tip of the cap to Kap (wakka wakka) for his personal marketing strategy.  Most former 30 year old QBs are selling used Audi cars outside of their college home town, not the face of a major corporation's marketing campaign. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Jason P said:
    I do have to give the tip of the cap to Kap (wakka wakka) for his personal marketing strategy.  Most former 30 year old QBs are selling used Audi cars outside of their college home town, not the face of a major corporation's marketing campaign. 
    He is definitely exercising liberty and benefiting from capitalism!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah, for real.
    Kap is more American than apple pie.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Nothing like a good old fashioned corporate co-opting of social justice in the pursuit of the almighty bottom line
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Nothing like a good old fashioned corporate co-opting of social justice in the pursuit of the almighty bottom line
    Yeah, I get the cynicism, but on this topic I'm looking at it from a different perspective...this is the only way to make capitalism work for the good of the people.  This is a small success, but it's a success in that the people have forced a company to do what's right.
  • Options
    I have no problem at all with Nike going in the direction they did, and support them for doing so, but lets not kid ourselves and think they did it motivated by social justice
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    I have no problem at all with Nike going in the direction they did, and support them for doing so, but lets not kid ourselves and think they did it motivated by social justice
    Of course not, but every time we align what's right with the bottom line, society wins a little more.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    my2hands said:
    Probably the company as a whole did not have that motivation, though some within it did. But if the overall impact is positive, I don’t so much care about their motivations. I don’t even so much care if they make money from it, though I would sure like them to put some of those profits to social benefit. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    It’s a business. They have stock holders. They better have considered the bottom line.

heck - that bought process ends up with bigger wins in the long term. Sustainability is a good example. Not just doing things to do things but bringing along a cost effective sustainability program is much better for the long term.

i can’t believe anyone would give Nike shit for this. Well I can in AMT or on social media cause everyone’s always gotta be mad.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    It’s a business. They have stock holders. They better have considered the bottom line.

heck - that bought process ends up with bigger wins in the long term. Sustainability is a good example. Not just doing things to do things but bringing along a cost effective sustainability program is much better for the long term.

i can’t believe anyone would give Nike shit for this. Well I can in AMT or on social media cause everyone’s always gotta be mad.
    well said
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    shareholders are just fine.......

By Renae Reints September 23, 2018

Nike’s market value has risen by $6 billion since its controversial decision to feature former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick in its new ad campaign, CBS News reports. Shares are up over 36% for the year, nearly 5% just since the ad’s launch.

Kaepernick is known for being the first NFL player to take a knee during the national anthem back in 2016, kicking off a movement against racial inequality that’s faced criticism from all walks of life, including the president.

Embracing the controversy, Nike made Kaepernick the face of its campaign celebrating the 30th anniversary of its “Just Do It” slogan. Angry critics almost immediately began cutting up their Nike socks and burning their Nike sneakers. The sportswear giant’s stocks took a 3% dip early on, a $4 billion loss.

But after a bumpy start, Nike’s campaign has certainly paid off: in mid-September, its stock hit a record high, with products selling out more frequently. Long-term investors are seeing the benefits of having Kaepernick on board. Nike is, after all, the world’s 18th most valuable brand according to Interbrand, and the Kaepernick controversy created free press.

“I don’t think they just randomly decided to put this ad out, thinking, ‘Let’s commit political-correctness suicide,'” Art Hogan, chief market strategist at B. Riley RBR, told CBS News. “People vote with their wallets, and the one clear winner in athletic apparel remains Nike.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Nike’s market value has risen by $6 billion since its controversial decision to feature former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick in its new ad campaign, CBS News reports. Shares are up over 36% for the year, nearly 5% just since the ad’s launch.

Kaepernick is known for being the first NFL player to take a knee during the national anthem back in 2016, kicking off a movement against racial inequality that’s faced criticism from all walks of life, including the president.

Embracing the controversy, Nike made Kaepernick the face of its campaign celebrating the 30th anniversary of its “Just Do It” slogan. Angry critics almost immediately began cutting up their Nike socks and burning their Nike sneakers. The sportswear giant’s stocks took a 3% dip early on, a $4 billion loss.

But after a bumpy start, Nike’s campaign has certainly paid off: in mid-September, its stock hit a record high, with products selling out more frequently. Long-term investors are seeing the benefits of having Kaepernick on board. Nike is, after all, the world’s 18th most valuable brand according to Interbrand, and the Kaepernick controversy created free press.

“I don’t think they just randomly decided to put this ad out, thinking, ‘Let’s commit political-correctness suicide,'” Art Hogan, chief market strategist at B. Riley RBR, told CBS News. “People vote with their wallets, and the one clear winner in athletic apparel remains Nike.”

Never said they weren’t. Just that Nike has to consider this in their decision making. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Never said they weren’t. Just that Nike has to consider this in their decision making. 
    havent they courted controversy before? to their benefit financially?

they didnt drop Tiger. Didnt drop Kobe. going back further they made some moves, pre internet days?

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Bought me some Nikes over the weekend.  Very happy with them.  First time I've owned a pair of Nikes since high school maybe.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

Who's mad? I'm just not giving Nike the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • Options
    I've bought quite a bit of Nike clothing prepping for fall in the last few weeks.  If you make quality, I will buy quality.  I don't boycott or buy just because of who a company uses to sell its products ... unless they use Pac-Man.  I will buy a 10 year old fruit cake if they slap some power pellets and ghosts on it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Jason P said:
    I've bought quite a bit of Nike clothing prepping for fall in the last few weeks.  If you make quality, I will buy quality.  I don't boycott or buy just because of who a company uses to sell its products ... unless they use Pac-Man.  I will buy a 10 year old fruit cake if they slap some power pellets and ghosts on it.
    Seriously? You're a big Pac-Man collector? Do you have any photos? This interests me!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Seriously? You're a big Pac-Man collector? Do you have any photos? This interests me!
    I bought some Chaco Pac Man sandals and I don't even like wearing sandals very much!  But alas the heart of my collection went up in smoke several years ago when my house burned down.  still need to get the barroom miss pac man arcade table ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited September 2018
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    I bought some Chaco Pac Man sandals and I don't even like wearing sandals very much!  But alas the heart of my collection went up in smoke several years ago when my house burned down.  still need to get the barroom miss pac man arcade table ....
    Oh no!! :fearful: I'm sorry to hear about the fire. How awful.
    YES! The Ms Pac-Man barroom table is amazing. My favorite neighborhood pub had one and I sat at it and played all the time (or it was my favorite place until it closed and got torn down last year - such a shame; it was an amazing old ski lodge.... I wonder what happened to the Ms Pac-Man table).
    I played tons of Pac-Man when we got our Atari, but my mom was the one who got truly addicted. She finally really fucked up her hand - serious Atari claw - and finally broke the joystick playing it, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    :whistle:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

It's that type of day
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

It's that type of day
    Nice! I had the t-shirt of his celebration move, it was a silhouette of him kissing his bicep, but I got rid of it when I quit watching NFL. Wish I would’ve kept that. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited October 2018

It's that type of day
    Nice! I had the t-shirt of his celebration move, it was a silhouette of him kissing his bicep, but I got rid of it when I quit watching NFL. Wish I would’ve kept that. 
    I went to a bunch of different places wearing that and I got some stares...one guy even snuck taking a pic of me.  
    I'm a 49ers fan.  
    I went to that Super Bowl.
    I support anyone's desire to speak their peace. 
    I also am ok with the employers not wanting him on their team
    Kaep is allright by me 
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Bought a pair of Nikes the other day... I wonder if any of the proceeds with go to social justice causes? 
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Are we still doing these?
  • Options
    That took stones.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©