Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Cannot wait for tonight
    On the road with my buddy  headed to the hotel and then the show
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Question for Neil experts:
    Was Heart of Gold originally a bridge for Man Needs a Maid, or is that just a tasty medley on Live at Massey Hall-71
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Anybody know what time Neil and the boys took the stage last night?
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Updates from the NYA Times-Contrarian:

- Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

- Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

- The Boarding House videos are coming soon, but no date yet 

- Homegrown will be coming soon, but no date yet
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:

- Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

- Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

Oh WOW!, the release of Homegrown will have me jumping off the walls!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrush said:

Did the first volume of NYA not sell enough, or is it solely people not buying physical media anymore that makes them skip DVD/BD?

I should have jumped on buying his re-issues and sold of the originals I have, I feel... as it seems everything will be re-released.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    goldrush said:

Did the first volume of NYA not sell enough, or is it solely people not buying physical media anymore that makes them skip DVD/BD?

I should have jumped on buying his re-issues and sold of the originals I have, I feel... as it seems everything will be re-released.
    It says that The Archives site is capable of streaming all of the Hi-Res content that would have been on the BDs, so maybe the BD version of the box set didn’t sell enough to justify doing both.

Neil did say in a recent interview that the Volume 2 box set was going ahead because the record company asked him to do it, so maybe there won’t be a Volume 3, 4, or 5.

There was also a mention today of putting together the best sounding Ragged Glory reissue possible at some point too.

(Tim Rogers)
  • I will buy all the 90s reissues. I promise you all this. Only have Mirrorball I think...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I will buy all the 90s reissues. I promise you all this. Only have Mirrorball I think...
    The reissues so far all sound really great, I can’t wait for the 90s boxes. The only 90s album I don’t have on vinyl is Year Of The Horse, but that’s impossible to find now.

(Tim Rogers)
    There’s a brief update on ‘Alchemy’ on the Contrarian page today. Looks like a 2019 release could be happening

Theres also an an interesting note from John Hanlon about ‘Songs For Judy’, a 23 track double album from Neil’s 1976 solo tour. I don’t think this one has been mentioned anywhere before

(Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:
    There’s a brief update on ‘Alchemy’ on the Contrarian page today. Looks like a 2019 release could be happening

Theres also an an interesting note from John Hanlon about ‘Songs For Judy’, a 23 track double album from Neil’s 1976 solo tour. I don’t think this one has been mentioned anywhere before

hell yeah!!! I can't wait for Alchemy. I saw the Horse on that tour and they killed it!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Nice. is this available to listen to on the website?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:

Not yet, but 'Campaigner' has surfaced:

https://youtu.be/7rvVjBfcJ7w

A bootleg of this has been around for a while called 'The Bernstein Tapes', but it will be great to get a cleaned up version. I saw someone mention a November 30 release, but I'm not sure where that came from

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:

Not yet, but 'Campaigner' has surfaced:

https://youtu.be/7rvVjBfcJ7w

A bootleg of this has been around for a while called 'The Bernstein Tapes', but it will be great to get a cleaned up version. I saw someone mention a November 30 release, but I'm not sure where that came from

vinyl release out December 14th

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-songs-for-judy-album-1976-live-744282/

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    goldrush said:

What do the numbers right in front of the song titles mean?
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I love how raw this version is. It's beautiful and brutal at the same time.

There's a note with the video on the Contrarian as well (Neil refers to Daryl as his wife for the first time)

(Tim Rogers)
    Fantastic.  Neil voice sound great here as does that fine old Gretsch Falcon!  And the message still rings loud and clear.  Right on, Neil.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Fantastic.  Neil voice sound great here as does that fine old Gretsch Falcon!  And the message still rings loud and clear.  Right on, Neil.
    Always very moving.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Looks like Oceanside Countryside is on its way soon as well

(Tim Rogers)
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!

• brianlux said:
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!

Hmm.... Gonna order this one as a christmas present for my dad maybe then.... He's read Shakey and Waging Heavy Peace
    brianlux said:

That looks pretty cool Brian, I'll have to check it out

(Tim Rogers)
    Trawling through some of the responses to questions on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of the Contrarian, you can find the following info:

• 'Alchemy' will be a triple vinyl set, possibly released next year
    • The takes have been chosen for 'Boarding House', along with the videos that go with them
    • The vinyl lacquers are being checked for 'Odeon Budokan', and it could be coming soon
    • 'Are You Passionate' is "a sleeper. We are looking at it, and deciding what to do"
    • "Interstate and Don't Spook The Horse belong with 'Ragged Glory' and we are remastering that one" J Hanlon will be remastering it and has "found all of the original analogue masters"
    • Somebody asked about videos of the Mirrorball tour - "The Mirrorball songs are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"
    • There is something "in production" from The Ducks shows
    • They have film of the complete Greendale concert and it is slated for review. As is Acoustic Greendale.
    • TOAST is complete, except for the videos

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Trawling through some of the responses to questions on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of the Contrarian, you can find the following info:

• The takes have been chosen for 'Boarding House', along with the videos that go with them
    • The vinyl lacquers are being checked for 'Odeon Budokan', and it could be coming soon
    • 'Are You Passionate' is "a sleeper. We are looking at it, and deciding what to do"
    • "Interstate and Don't Spook The Horse belong with 'Ragged Glory' and we are remastering that one" J Hanlon will be remastering it and has "found all of the original analogue masters"
    • Somebody asked about videos of the Mirrorball tour - "The Mirrorball songs are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"
    • They have film of the complete Greendale concert and it is slated for review. As is Acoustic Greendale.

I think Are You Passionate got unfairly panned by some critics- there's some great stuff on that album.

Remastered Ragged Glory?  I would LOVE that on a double vinyl album!  The original LP which I bought when it came out is too long for one LP, not long enough for two and thus the grooves are very thin and the sound, for an album with so much potential kick, is too weak.  With the added songs, remastering and (likely) two records, this could be KILLER! 

Mirror Ball film.  OH YEAH!

goldrush said:

great news.

Can't wait for Alchemy and hopefully a Mirrorball video release.... I would even take a live album from that tour........... anything!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

God Bless Uncle Neil
  • COME TO EUROPE