Post your stereo system!

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited October 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

I like the pure mode for Yamaha's newer amps.

Personally I love my Sansui vintage receiver/amp over every "modern" receiver that I have ever owned. it is def more "musical" and you can't beat the raw power for pushing my Klipsch towers

What Sansui do you have?  My local shop has a 3000A for sale which looks like it's in good shape.  I'm struggling a bit translating how 45 wpc RMS in 70's terms translates into today's numbers.  

damn, I knew you were gonna ask me.  I will have to check. I got 2 Sansui's from an Estate sale. this guy was a audio engineer so he had some good stuff. I actually passed on a tube amp for the Sansui.  I know it was the first solid state that Sansui release back in the early 70s. I tested it along side a "tank" from the early 80s and the older one sounded better even though it had less watts. I will try to get the model number for you when I get home. kicking myself that I don't remember the model #

EDIT: this is the model I have   http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/eight.html

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Personally I love my Sansui vintage receiver/amp over every "modern" receiver that I have ever owned. it is def more "musical" and you can't beat the raw power for pushing my Klipsch towers

What Sansui do you have?  My local shop has a 3000A for sale which looks like it's in good shape.  I'm struggling a bit translating how 45 wpc RMS in 70's terms translates into today's numbers.  

damn, I knew you were gonna ask me.  I will have to check. I got 2 Sansui's from an Estate sale. this guy was a audio engineer so he had some good stuff. I actually passed on a tube amp for the Sansui.  I know it was the first solid state that Sansui release back in the early 70s. I tested it along side a "tank" from the early 80s and the older one sounded better even though it had less watts. I will try to get the model number for you when I get home. kicking myself that I don't remember the model #

EDIT: this is the model I have   http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/eight.html

You should have jumped on that tube amp!
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Chris, I had it in my possession and it's what I always wanted but it was high maintenance, man. The guy that owned it built it himself for a kit in the 60s. I just settled for a phono tube preamp. almost as good.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Thanks!  That's a beauty.  60 wpc is pretty strong for back then.  What is it powering today, towers or books?  I need them to power some large towers with 90db of sensitivity.  They were powered by my Yamaha which 'claims' 140 wpc (2 ch driven), but they didn't really sing until I hooked the Outlaw 5000 to them, which is a monster.  

mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Thanks!  That's a beauty.  60 wpc is pretty strong for back then.  What is it powering today, towers or books?  I need them to power some large towers with 90db of sensitivity.  They were powered by my Yamaha which 'claims' 140 wpc (2 ch driven), but they didn't really sing until I hooked the Outlaw 5000 to them, which is a monster.  

mine are pushing some dual 8" towers. and it is sensitive has hell. You are right about those old amps. They kicked out some power. I would grab that 3000/a if it is for the right price. try it and see. I bet it will handle those towers just fine.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Nice amp, that is. Something to consider here in the specs: 60 wpc into 8 ohms, 80 wpc into 4 ohms, yet they describe this unit as a 200 watt amplifier? Maybe at 2 ohms, if it can safely drive that load. I'd be interested to see THD numbers with all channels driven at higher levels. Marketing has always been a little out of hand for audio companies.

That said, even with 0.3% THD, a number not particularly impressive by today's standards, it likely sounds better than a lot of modern amps with tighter stats.

Sound is so subjective but it seems like a lot of people prefer a little distortion, if it's pleasant. Otherwise, CD would still be the preferred format over vinyl. On paper, CD outperforms vinyl in every category, but records still sound better to me.

Go figure.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Chris, I had it in my possession and it's what I always wanted but it was high maintenance, man. The guy that owned it built it himself for a kit in the 60s. I just settled for a phono tube preamp. almost as good.
    My uncle made one himself too.  He keeps telling me that he needs to give it to me.  So when I do get it I'll let you know..
    dudeman said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Nice amp, that is. Something to consider here in the specs: 60 wpc into 8 ohms, 80 wpc into 4 ohms, yet they describe this unit as a 200 watt amplifier? Maybe at 2 ohms, if it can safely drive that load. I'd be interested to see THD numbers with all channels driven at higher levels. Marketing has always been a little out of hand for audio companies.

That said, even with 0.3% THD, a number not particularly impressive by today's standards, it likely sounds better than a lot of modern amps with tighter stats.

Sound is so subjective but it seems like a lot of people prefer a little distortion, if it's pleasant. Otherwise, CD would still be the preferred format over vinyl. On paper, CD outperforms vinyl in every category, but records still sound better to me.

Go figure.
    So do you believe that 45 wpc into 8ohm on a vintage Sansui would drive my 683s effectively?  I know using today's ratings,  that would be terribly under powered.  
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

mine are pushing some dual 8" towers. and it is sensitive has hell. You are right about those old amps. They kicked out some power. I would grab that 3000/a if it is for the right price. try it and see. I bet it will handle those towers just fine.
    I think I may.  The good news is that it's in a local shop,  a place where I have spent too much money.  They always let me take stuff home.  Bad news is that it's a little bit of an ugly duckling 

https://store.audio-exchange.com/listing/sansui-3000a-stereo-receiver-45-watts-per-channel/14487806
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said: 
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Go figure.
    So do you believe that 45 wpc into 8ohm on a vintage Sansui would drive my 683s effectively?  I know using today's ratings,  that would be terribly under powered.  
    I'm not terribly familiar with your speakers but I think you might be surprised by that 45 watts.

My CVs are pretty efficient and get uncomfortably loud being driven by the 15 WPC from my Marantz 2215b.
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

I think I may.  The good news is that it's in a local shop,  a place where I have spent too much money.  They always let me take stuff home.  Bad news is that it's a little bit of an ugly duckling 

https://store.audio-exchange.com/listing/sansui-3000a-stereo-receiver-45-watts-per-channel/14487806

it looks like something from post-war Japan. I dig the old tuners. let me know if you try it out!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

A little funky looking for sure. Looks like a clean example of that model, though.
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

A little funky looking for sure. Looks like a clean example of that model, though.
    I found out that these models are a fire hazard if they haven't had a specific Sansui modification.  They will also fry your speakers.  So now I'm probably heading up to DC this weekend to look at a Sansui 771 and Pioneer 750. They are in the same house and look clean.  They are more traditional looking 70s. 
    Whoa. I hadn't heard that. Good looking out.

IIRC, the Sansui 771, and its various wattage counterparts in the same line, were marketed as the first generation of receivers that used PCBs. They were supposedly more inherently reliable than other amps of the day. 

I don't know if that's really the case but I have quite a bit of experience with the smaller 661. A former colleague had one and he brought it to me to try to make it sound better. Flat and thin are how I would describe it. Not really anything I could do for him as the design doesn't lend itself well to modification. 

Never heard a 771 in person but they sure are pretty with that green glow.
    dudeman said:

IIRC, the Sansui 771, and its various wattage counterparts in the same line, were marketed as the first generation of receivers that used PCBs. They were supposedly more inherently reliable than other amps of the day. 

I don't know if that's really the case but I have quite a bit of experience with the smaller 661. A former colleague had one and he brought it to me to try to make it sound better. Flat and thin are how I would describe it. Not really anything I could do for him as the design doesn't lend itself well to modification. 

The 661 should be just slightly lower in power than the 771, but configured the same way, is that right?  Flat and thin is not really the sound I'm going for!  So you weren't a fan, eh?  
    edited October 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

The 661 should be just slightly lower in power than the 771, but configured the same way, is that right?  Flat and thin is not really the sound I'm going for!  So you weren't a fan, eh?  
    Not of the one I have experience with. I assume the 771 is similar sounding. 

It was a good deal for him though. He was looking at replacing a Marantz 2226b that he was pushing in-wall speakers with. The Marantz sounded great and got very loud, he just thought he needed more than 26 WPC.

After trying the 661, he went back to the 2226b and it is still using it.

FWIW, given the choice, I would take an SX-750 over the 661 I heard every single time.

The SX-750 is very similar performance-wise to the, then top of the line, SX-1250.

Post edited by dudeman on
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Not of the one I have experience with. I assume the 771 is similar sounding. 

It was a good deal for him though. He was looking at replacing a Marantz 2226b that he was pushing in-wall speakers with. The Marantz sounded great and got very loud, he just thought he needed more than 26 WPC.

After trying the 661, he went back to the 2226b and it is still using it.

FWIW, given the choice, I would take an SX-750 over the 661 I heard every single time.

The SX-750 is very similar performance-wise to the, then top of the line, SX-1250.

Thanks a lot.  I also read the sonic signature of the 750 is close to the 1250.  People were raving about it.  The one in the area appears to be clean, but not recapped and probably not serviced.  Also have the option of an SX-780.  Any experience with that?
    Yes. The SX-780 is badass. Much more powerful sounding than it's 45 WPC would suggest. High quality parts inside. Excellent amp layout.

The Phono pre is excellent too.

edited October 2018
    I bought this yesterday in Yorktown from a retired military guy.  You guys wouldn't believe what he has going on.  I ended up demoing a number of stereos.  He had an entire closet full of  silver face classics, Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Macintosh, everything.  There were probably 40 of them on his shelves.  All of them were for sale, but he only lists a few at a time.  And his personal system was out of this world, all vintage and it blew my mind.  
    Anyway, I bought this sx-780 and it really is fantastic.  So much power in the 45 wpc that I can't get it above probably 15% and that's powering my B&W 683's which are monsters, rated up to 200 watts. I will say it's not quite as detailed as my prior setup (Yamaha 2030 into Outlaw 5000 (~120 wpc), but it's definitely more musical.  A good way to describe it is that the imaging is not as precise, but the soundstage is wider.  I'm not using phono amp, as I really like my Emotiva and I didn't think the Pioneer sounded as good.  I'm sure the age has a bit to do with that.

@dudeman, thanks for your input.  Much appreciated.  I have both the AVR and the Pioneer now hooked to the same speakers.  I can't believe I was laboring over an RCA switch.  I just used an OSD speaker selector that I have, which has 2 amp inputs.  Works perfectly.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Beautiful! That thing looks squeaky clean.

Musical is a good way to describe a lot of that old, silver gear. It just makes everything sound good and feel right to me. Makes me want to keep listening and I guess that's the whole point. 

Congrats!
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    There are certainly some nice looking stereo systems in this thread. I always had a turntable and speakers and stereo system growing up, but somewhere along the line I stopped. I don't even know what happened to my various pieces. I had my son and had pc's and cd players and when vinyl disappeared so did my stereo system. Now that vinyl is back, I still have my large collection of records along with new records I've purchased but I have nothing to play them on. I have looked at turntables and they are really expensive, at least for me and I'm not really sure how to go about getting a decent stereo system, budget system. Any advice would be appreciated.
    njnancy said:
    There are certainly some nice looking stereo systems in this thread. I always had a turntable and speakers and stereo system growing up, but somewhere along the line I stopped. I don't even know what happened to my various pieces. I had my son and had pc's and cd players and when vinyl disappeared so did my stereo system. Now that vinyl is back, I still have my large collection of records along with new records I've purchased but I have nothing to play them on. I have looked at turntables and they are really expensive, at least for me and I'm not really sure how to go about getting a decent stereo system, budget system. Any advice would be appreciated.
    So I guess the first question is... what's your budget?  It sounds like you are starting from scratch minus the records themselves.  There's a huge range of options and the quality will generally go right along with it.  I would definitely consider going to Craigs list and buying used equipment, particularly speakers.  A well maintained pair of speakers will last your whole lifetime easily.  You just have to look for obvious signs of abuse or deterioration from poor storage.  A huge % of all of my gear was bought second hand, and I never have issues.  
    edited October 2018
    Good advice here. 

Something to consider, if there is a particular component you're interested in, you can post the make and model here. Someone is likely to know something about it.

Good luck!
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 595
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    So I guess the first question is... what's your budget?  It sounds like you are starting from scratch minus the records themselves.  There's a huge range of options and the quality will generally go right along with it.  I would definitely consider going to Craigs list and buying used equipment, particularly speakers.  A well maintained pair of speakers will last your whole lifetime easily.  You just have to look for obvious signs of abuse or deterioration from poor storage.  A huge % of all of my gear was bought second hand, and I never have issues.  
    Or if you're reluctant to go the Craigslist route, and I'm sure you can hit the jackpot on Craigslist, there should be some vintage audio stores around your area which generally offer higher prices but usually a tech has gone through the gear, serviced it and there likely is a 90 day -1 year warranty and then you can go back and have your needle recalibrated for free twice the first year of ownership. It seems there's tons of evidence that among other brands the older (mid to late 1970's) Technics turntables are built like tanks. I took a friend over to a really cool vintage audio shop in the greater Vancouver area early in 2017. Hey picked up a Technics turntable and a Pioneer Integrated Amp, modest stuff for around $475.00 Canadian so $350.00 ish USD. He had speakers already. I don't think you could spin more vinyl than this person has without being a pro DJ. We were at his place last month for a 45RPM single records only night. I told him I wouldn't be crushed if he took an occasional rest and put on an occasional LP lol. Anyway the components are performing beautifully. I can dig up the actual Model numbers if you're interested or post the name of the shop in our area.
    edited October 2018
    mrussel1 said:

So, I was at the local record store yesterday talking to the owner about gear. He showed me the "house system" which has a an SX-750 at the core. He is driving two pairs of Large Advents using a Technics TT, Onkyo CDP and a Nakamichi cassette deck.

Sounds fucking great in there!

I couldn't help but think of this thread.

Again, that 780 looks great. Nice score!
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    DJ253147 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    Or if you're reluctant to go the Craigslist route, and I'm sure you can hit the jackpot on Craigslist, there should be some vintage audio stores around your area which generally offer higher prices but usually a tech has gone through the gear, serviced it and there likely is a 90 day -1 year warranty and then you can go back and have your needle recalibrated for free twice the first year of ownership. It seems there's tons of evidence that among other brands the older (mid to late 1970's) Technics turntables are built like tanks. I took a friend over to a really cool vintage audio shop in the greater Vancouver area early in 2017. Hey picked up a Technics turntable and a Pioneer Integrated Amp, modest stuff for around $475.00 Canadian so $350.00 ish USD. He had speakers already. I don't think you could spin more vinyl than this person has without being a pro DJ. We were at his place last month for a 45RPM single records only night. I told him I wouldn't be crushed if he took an occasional rest and put on an occasional LP lol. Anyway the components are performing beautifully. I can dig up the actual Model numbers if you're interested or post the name of the shop in our area.
    Yes, I'm starting from scratch. I may have speakers stored - big ole things that I used to love, but I'm not sure. I have never bought anything from craigslist - not sure why. e-bay and Amazon are my two go to places. I've only looked at actual turntables on Amazon and they were all in about the 300.00 range, which is over budget and sitting in my cart as i watch for price changes. I just found out that my mom has a Cd player, stereo, turntable, speaker combo circa 90's. She's used the tape deck and cd player but never the turntable and hasn't used it in at least 10 years. I can check out what the model is and post here later - it's not what I would want but if the turntable is decent and won't scratch my records, I could use that while I save and research better equipment. Since my son moved back home, I don't have much disposable income so let me post about the multi system and then I can read up as I save up. 

Thank you for answering me so quickly, everyone. I need to gain more knowledge to really answer questions. There are a lot of places in my area (NJ - NY metro area) where I could go, but again, I have to know what I'm talking about better than I do now. Seems so weird since I grew up with 'record players' and huge speakers. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:

...she's a beaut Clark.  Very nice!  I love my Pioneer SX-950 and SX-636.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • I'd love to get a SX-1980.  I haven't read a bad review on that monster.
    I'd love to get a SX-1980.  I haven't read a bad review on that monster.
    My god what could you do with 200 wpc. This 780 is 45 and I can barely get it to 20% driving my towers.