The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The Last Dab Reduxx is on sale now!
    Sweet (and hot!), thanks C.
    Look forward to using this sparingly.  :lol:  
    I have to say, I continue to use the Exhorresco and just love it.  Does not stay with me like the other true hot sauces.  If you order, order directly as it was cheaper.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I harvested my only peppers of the year last night, 10 scotch bonnets, 7 super chili's, and 3 Carolina reapers...so very sad to lose 50 plants too late to replace them.
    I used a sharp fork to pierce them all and threw them in the dehydrator...I did the reapers last and I licked the fork just to see how that would be. 
    It was hot lol 
    I like that the reapers don't linger, I get about 10 seconds of exotic and unique flavor, and then a very sharp heat for about ten minutes.  Sharp like a very hot pepper that's still green, but still with depth like a fully mature pepper. 
    The "Mexican" chilis really linger, an extra hot poblano or jalapeno can leave me burning and tingling for a solid half hour or longer.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    And yes, poblanos and jalapenos can be very hot!  I dry farm, while that significantly decreases overall yield, fruit size and flavor intensity is increased, which means hotter peppers.  Dry-farmed poblanos are a wonderful pepper, the green flesh is almost as mild as a bell pepper with seeds and membranes as hot as hot jalapenos.  Let it mature to full red and it is sweet as a bell with heat all throughout that resembles a good hot jalapeno.  Very versatile.
    Jalapenos...Rome jalapenos grown dry farm style compare with milder Cayennes, in my experience.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Poblanos are my favorite pepper and a grilled poblano as a side for a nice steak is one of my favorites. They can pack some heat, but it is fairly rare in our area
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    rgambs said:
    And yes, poblanos and jalapenos can be very hot!  I dry farm, while that significantly decreases overall yield, fruit size and flavor intensity is increased, which means hotter peppers.  Dry-farmed poblanos are a wonderful pepper, the green flesh is almost as mild as a bell pepper with seeds and membranes as hot as hot jalapenos.  Let it mature to full red and it is sweet as a bell with heat all throughout that resembles a good hot jalapeno.  Very versatile.
    Jalapenos...Rome jalapenos grown dry farm style compare with milder Cayennes, in my experience.
    The sushi place where we were regulars in CA (every Friday night, 7:30 seating @ sushi bar w/Masa-san!) saw us having a jalapeno/yellowtail combo in some form every week.  Masa would always try to get creative, but these are two things that go together well.  The trick was that about once a month the jalapenos would be very hot.  Was always a 'what am I going to get here?' feeling when you popped them in.
    Sorta like Cliffy's pepper pot he shared a while ago. 

Have you ever taken a big bit out of a reaper?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I have 4 reapers between 2 plants and they just started growing a couple weeks ago.  I'm not sure they'll mature before it freezes.  37 here tomorrow night and the the day before last was likely the last warm day we'll have this year.
    I have 4 reapers between 2 plants and they just started growing a couple weeks ago.  I'm not sure they'll mature before it freezes.  37 here tomorrow night and the the day before last was likely the last warm day we'll have this year.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, they are very slow to mature.  Did you grow in pots?  You could bring them in and out and that should work.
    If the peppers are mature but still green you can encourage them along by taking a spade and slicing down about 6 inches in a circle around the plant around 5 inches away from the stem.  That should sever the roots enough to shock the plant into prioritizing fruit ripening above all else.
    Fall is here!!

lentil and sausage stew on the stove for this evening and a ham bone and bean soup simmering for this week. Love fall food 
    I have to say, I continue to use the Exhorresco and just love it.  Does not stay with me like the other true hot sauces.  If you order, order directly as it was cheaper.

Will be trying the quadruple dab at wing night this evening.
    As for the Reduxx, I really like the flavor. It's sweet, but not as fruity as the other three. I'm assuming that's the chocolate pepper X flavor profile dominating. It has more of a velvety smoothness to it.  The heat doesn't seem nearly as intense to me, but I also think my tolerance has increased a good bit recently.  A buddy of mine also got a bottle and he thinks it's just as intense as the others.

As for the Reduxx, I really like the flavor. It's sweet, but not as fruity as the other three. I'm assuming that's the chocolate pepper X flavor profile dominating. It has more of a velvety smoothness to it.  The heat doesn't seem nearly as intense to me, but I also think my tolerance has increased a good bit recently.  A buddy of mine also got a bottle and he thinks it's just as intense as the others.
    Just saw the mail dude bring up a package and was hoping it was this shipment.
    Nope, more posters!

Reduxx arrived about an hour ago.  Loaded up 4 chips with a good dab each.
    That is pretty hot but I could hang with it.
    I would be in pain if I ate a wing totally bathed in the stuff, though.  That shit would hurt me. 
    I like it.  Good flavor. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Cold as fuck. Fish chowder for supper. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Yup. 

We made a nice dent in it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Spaghetti for the kids, sockeye salmon for the wife, salad with sauteed mushroom blend for myself.  Corn.
    Feel like I run a diner.  (Everyone ate well, it is ok.)

edited October 2018

Dabs L-R: Reaper, Original, Scorpion, Reduxx. Base wing is Nasty. 
    For reference, each 2 dabs are about the size of a nickel.

Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Yup. 

like “Oliver!”.....gruel...could I please have some more?

that looks like my last dump.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Dabs L-R: Reaper, Original, Scorpion, Reduxx. Base wing is Nasty. 
    For reference, each 2 dabs are about the size of a nickel.

Pain!
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Yup. 

Troll-ish
    ;)
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Yup. 

Troll-ish
    ;)
    Will share your comments with the chef, @Wobbie
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Sounds great! 
    Yup. 

Troll-ish
    ;)
    Will share your comments with the chef, @Wobbie
    I am scared for him
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    The wife treated me to a delicious pot roast loaded with root veggies. 
    Sunday gravy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Did my old man’s sauce tonight. We ain’t Italian but it’s pretty good if I say so myself

My food, right now.
    Olives.  3.  Chilled.  ;)

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    My food, right now.

That’s one of the food groups. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    My food, right now.

That’s one of the food groups. 
    Indeed. I don't even like martinis, but the olives from martinis are one of my favorite foods, lol. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get one without the other.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Hey f me, Fuck You and your bayou trip, it’s no cliff’s red beans and rice 

edited October 2018
    Hahaha.  Nice!
    As usual my camera was away when down at the camps but we did up a giant sack of Oysters ($40!!!) and we caught and cooked up a bunch of specks....did some steaks, boudin, multiple skrimp items and the standard ridiculous number or beers.  

Hahaha.  Nice!
    As usual my camera was away when down at the camps but we did up a giant sack of Oysters ($40!!!) and we caught and cooked up a bunch of specks....did some steaks, boudin, multiple skrimp items and the standard ridiculous number or beers.  

Sounds just lovely