Options

Tele upgrades

H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
Got a 50's style roadworn tele recently and love it but wanna change the pickups and upgrade the saddles. It's all stock with Tex/Mex pups and whatever steel saddles. Thinking of putting in american vintage tele pups and brass saddles ala 52 RI but open to other suggestions. What'd ya think Tele, folks!? 

Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Nice guitar!

I like your idea about the brass saddles and pickups too. If it were mine, I would probably install SD Quarter Pounders, but I like a hot Tele tone. They wouldn't be great if most of your playing is clean or "edge of breakup" but they really shine with the gain and volume cranked.

GFS makes Tele replacement pickups that a lot of people on TDPRI seem to love. Pretty cheap too. Might be worth a look. Lots of good discussion on that forum.

Good luck!

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I put some Cavalier pickups (Lion King neck and Nocaster bridge) and added a Callaham bridge with compensated brass saddles. Took it from a decent vanilla Tele to a badass example of classic Tele tone.