Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• BebopRockSteadyBebopRockSteady Chicago Posts: 11
    edited August 2018
    Complete and unapologetic Zep rip offs. Boo.
    Lol

Really?

Sheesh. You'll be missing out on a lot of good music and disrespecting a lot of solid talent if you're rolling with this attitude.
    I just can't listen to Zep copies and not just wish I was listening to Zeppelin. There's a number of newer bands these days that wear their influences on their shoulder so much that it personally makes me question why I don't listen to the real thing. There are also a lot of newer great bands now that take their influences and make them into something new, and that to me is exciting. Maybe these guys will get better as they age, but for now. I'd just rather listen to Zep than a Zep clone with less classic songs.
    Post edited by BebopRockSteady on
  • BebopRockSteadyBebopRockSteady Chicago Posts: 11
    DewieCox said:
    I want to at least be slightly entertained by them, but they’re just garbage. Worst part about them sounding like Zep is that they downplay the influence.

They’re  not getting any younger. Hard to imagine they’ll just magically learn to write songs at an elite level in a few years when they’re having trouble coming up with enough material for an album.
    I'd love to hear some of the songs that you two wrote as teenagers. Truly. 

Come on, man. That's a silly argument. That's like saying someone can't have an opinion on baseball or football without having played the game.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited August 2018
    Lol

Really?

Sheesh. You'll be missing out on a lot of good music and disrespecting a lot of solid talent if you're rolling with this attitude.
    I just can't listen to Zep copies and not just wish I was listening to Zeppelin. There's a number of newer bands these days that wear their influences on their shoulder so much that it personally makes me question why I don't listen to the real thing. There are also a lot of newer great bands now that take their influences and make them into something new, and that to me is exciting. Maybe these guys will get better as they age, but for now. I'd just rather listen to Zep than a Zep clone with less classic songs.
    Except I've listened to the Zeppelin albums thousands of times.  It's nice to listen to new music that kicks ass.

There's not many new bands I like anymore.  Most of the time they sound bland and soulless.   The singer's held back by too much effects and protools.  Greta Van Fleet rocks out in the studio and live.   The singer might sound like Robert Plant, but it's actually his voice and it comes through in spades.

I think they're pretty damn good, and it's nice having something new to listen too.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Lol

Really?

Yeah, but how many hundreds of times have you heard those songs? 
    I don't even need ears to hear Led Zep, I can play it all out in my head down to the note.

Do yourself a favour...
    Put GVF, Highway Song or Curtain Falls on and pretend it's a lost track from Houses of the Holy and judge it accordingly.

Also, Led Zeppelin was the biggest copycat band ever!!! They stole actual songs, not just style and sound (which they also stole).
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I really love this band and want them to succeed. Even though From The Fires was a double EP/compilation, I'd say their upcoming debut album is more like a second record. Here's hoping they avoid the dreaded "sophomore slump" like PJ did. Not expecting Vs., but hopefully something solid!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Lol

Really?

I agree with this. Greta Van Fleet does not do it for me at all for this same reason. I'll just listen to LZ rather than listen to an inferior band that seems to be trying to sound like LZ. But that's great if other people like them for whatever reason. A lot of people are saying they'll get better and find their own sound... I have serious doubts about that, but hey, if they do manage it, wonderful.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I think your guys comparing  GVF with Zep have it all wrong:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    New album, Anthem of the Peaceful Army, out October 19th.
    New single:

• I don’t care what they dress like or move like on stage to me is about the music and this music doesn’t do it for me at this stage in my life ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The album title is a little strange, would fit a song better imo. But who cares as long as it’s good! Which it probably will be 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited September 2018
    I don’t care what they dress like or move like on stage to me is about the music and this music doesn’t do it for me at this stage in my life ...
    Their dress doesn’t make me dislike them, but it shows how contrived their whole thing is.

The single is the best song they’ve done by a long shot. Wouldve been better if they reined the singer in early in the song so when he really goes for it later it has more impact. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    eddiec said:
    New album, Anthem of the Peaceful Army, out October 19th.
    New single:

Good stuff!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Love the new single.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• New track released today. There's some good quality live versions floating around too. Looking forward to the new disc.

I am wired and fading...
  • Hi! said:
    Love the new single.
    Nope...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I could never get into Zeppelin so I'm probably not going to get into this band.
    Hi! said:
    Love the new single.
    Nope...
    Yeah, not a Zippo.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• For those that have seen them live recently...what time have they been coming on? And how long of a show do they play?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I could never get into Zeppelin so I'm probably not going to get into this band.
    Well they don't actually sound like Led Zeppelin. They sound like Led Zeppelin and Rush mixed together in a dumb person's brain, but way, way worse, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2018
    imo actually seeing music live played is a better meter to judge rather than hearing them on any record/ipod/cd
    personally i won't judge any band until i have seen them play live because in a live setting they could easily bring it and one could be impressed just on performance alone. and you certainly won't hear me spreading negativity if i don't like them cause imo it's just comes down to personal taste. no need to dwell on what u don't like.
    i recently saw a 3 piece local rock band blow my head off live. i bought their ep after the show and realized that the band was way way better live than what i heard on the cd. not to say the cd was terrible but seeing them live is what sealed the deal for me.
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I am seeing GVF on Saturday at Cal Jam......will finally see what all the hype is about.
  • usually if there is hype it's not totally unfounded  ;)
    have fun at the big show!!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    usually if there is hype it's not totally unfounded  ;)
    have fun at the big show!!
    Agreed, and if a bazillion people say they sound like Zeppelin...they probably sound a bit like Zeppelin ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Put me in the "I don't get it" crowd.  They're at acl tomorrow though so I'll walk by and give it a listen live.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited October 2018
    ComeToTX said:
    Put me in the "I don't get it" crowd.  They're at acl tomorrow though so I'll walk by and give it a listen live.
    I really like the From the Fires double EP.  While they sound like Zeppelin I think they're pretty good at composing original works.   I've listened that EP alot.  Hoping the new album is just as good.   Lot's of bands have had strong Zeppelin influences.. most of them don't sound this good.

I did catch them live back in July.  It was decent.  They did struggle in the middle.  The double EP has 8 songs.. most people knew those and rocked out.   But they put covers/unreleased in the middle, and no one knew those songs, so much much weaker crowd reaction.   It'll be interesting after the new album comes out and they've got enough known songs to fill out a 90 minute setlist.
    Post edited by Zod on

• RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Anyone get a passcode for the presale? I signed up for the peaceful army thing a few weeks ago, have been getting emails but no code.
    I am wired and fading...
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    RoeDawg13 said:
    Anyone get a passcode for the presale? I signed up for the peaceful army thing a few weeks ago, have been getting emails but no code.
    Scratch that, got it now
    I am wired and fading...
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Secured Atlanta tickets with the presale! 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I've heard the entire new GVF album. It's good, but no better than say Wolfmother or The Sword debut. There will be be a few live gems off this LP, but hands down From The Fires double EP is way better. Hope these guys innovate a bit more and stretch out on album #2. They may fade after this LP, since it's not mindblowing or necessary listening by any means. But I love these guys and wish em the best!