Home Recordings - post em'

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Cool track, thanks for posting it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited August 2018
    Removing this link for personal info reasons...
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
    edited November 2018
    Deleted link
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited April 2019
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on

This all you?
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited December 2018

This all you?
    Mostly loops and various effects done with Garageband. Here's a new track:

www.cluthelee.com
    edited March 2019
    Thanks...here's another new song. Thanks Jack White!

edited March 2019
    The Clash meets surf rock in da club?

I had some time off this morning and picked up my guitar after a lengthy break. It was amazing how the basic chords sounded to me. Threw on a capo and came up with 3 pretty solid foundations for songs. Going to record one on Friday. Been doing a lot of lyric writing the past year or so, going to see how it all comes together.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I’ve started to write songs I hope to submit to agencies down the road someday and not just for myself. This is the first one about a woman going all Kill Bill on men who’ve abused her. 

https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic/find-another-you-rough-mix
    I’ve started to write songs I hope to submit to agencies down the road someday and not just for myself. This is the first one about a woman going all Kill Bill on men who’ve abused her. 

Love the chorus in this rough mix. Who have you used to mix and master your previous work? Matt and I are shopping for someone who will mix and master our 4th album. There were some great suggestions in this thread years back - one I actually ended up using was Blake at Dynamic Sound. I had him master an instrumental of mine that turned out pretty great. Neither Matt or I have time to sit in a studio and oversee work, so looking for someone reputable (and cost friendly) who will help us finish out.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited October 2018
    Also, to our group at large - specifically @thispureamericanriot , @mccreadyisgod @All Those Yesterdays , @BHealy and other old pro's on here. Do you think having someone mix, stem-master each file/part, then final master our album is a good idea?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

Love the chorus in this rough mix. Who have you used to mix and master your previous work? Matt and I are shopping for someone who will mix and master our 4th album. There were some great suggestions in this thread years back - one I actually ended up using was Blake at Dynamic Sound. I had him master an instrumental of mine that turned out pretty great. Neither Matt or I have time to sit in a studio and oversee work, so looking for someone reputable (and cost friendly) who will help us finish out.
    Tom Drummond down in New Orleans mixed my first album. I can’t believe I can’t remember who mastered it. I’ll edit this when I think of it. 
    edited October 2018
    Also, to our group at large - specifically @thispureamericanriot , @mccreadyisgod @All Those Yesterdays , @BHealy and other old pro's on here. Do you think having someone mix, stem-master each file/part, then final master our album is a good idea?
    I think so. I just use a very basic home system with my Mac to record and "master" tracks. But the damn songs sound so different everywhere I play them - I end up chasing down and trying to fix bad mixes almost every week! LOL Getting your songs professional mastered with good equipment seems like a great idea Sir!

EDIT: I save my tracks in Apple's AIFF format (Audio Interchange File Format) and upload the uncompressed PCMs to Bandcamp. For Soundcloud, I just used MP3s at 320kbps. Sadly, most people are used to the compressed sound quality of MP3s now. Hopefully your guy that's mastering the tracks can explain the process to you in more detail. I'd sure like to know more about it!
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited October 2018
    .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-rdl6CfCg

My cover band. Can you guess which guy is me aka the 10C member?
    Post edited by StuffnJunk on
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Also, to our group at large - specifically @thispureamericanriot , @mccreadyisgod @All Those Yesterdays , @BHealy and other old pro's on here. Do you think having someone mix, stem-master each file/part, then final master our album is a good idea?

Yes,  If you do it all in house I think your ear just gets too immuned to everything.  A fresh ear always helps.  Of course unless you are trying to avoid modern over the top compression...  (Just a little joke there).
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    edited October 2018
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-rdl6CfCg

My cover band. Can you guess which guy is me aka the 10C member?
    You guys sound fantastic - thanks for sharing. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    edited October 2018
    Taken off the board and to PMs.
    www.cluthelee.com
    @StuffnJunk

Chat with me privately about your post. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Demo-ing some new stuff from last week.

www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

How did you record the acoustic guitar? Mic'd or DI?

Sounds good!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited December 2018

Yes,  If you do it all in house I think your ear just gets too immuned to everything.  A fresh ear always helps.  Of course unless you are trying to avoid modern over the top compression...  (Just a little joke there).
    Yeah, I had a real problem with over compression. I spent this weekend remixing and turning off all compression filters. Sounds a little warmer and clearer now. Thanks for the suggestion.

New Track: 

dudeman said:

How did you record the acoustic guitar? Mic'd or DI?

Sounds good!
    @dudeman
    Typically I will set up two mic's for acoustic guitar - I usually go with my SM58 and an EV Cobalt instrument mic in various positions. This was recorded pretty fast, so I used the outboard mic on my MacBook Pro for the acoustic guitar, DI'd the P-Bass, and Epiphone Riviera (instrument cable running from my Fender Princeton straight into my MacBook). The drums were mic'd - I think I had 4 total on the kit. XLR cables from mic, to a Mackie mixer, audio cables out from the Mackie to my MacBook. I really miss my Shure kick drum mic. I wish I wouldn't have sold it. It really made the kick sound SO much better. I've been using my other EV Cobalt with a vocal hood over the top near the kick drum sound hole - just can't seem to get it right, even when I adjust the EQ on the Mackie mixer. I am also stuck not being able to separately EQ each drum/mic. That would be boss, but it would require me to have to basically play the drums like 4-5 times perfectly, each pass being it's own individual track so to speak. So what I've done forever now is mic'ing the kit and having it all in one track. Garageband is pretty good with EQ settings that manipulate the track into sounding better, but I still am looking for a less intensive way of getting separate tracks for each drum. Anyone have any suggestions? 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Rediscovered Cluthe/Lee's ReverbNation page this morning. Found this cool little ditty. An acoustic version of 'Fault Line' off our last LP.

www.cluthelee.com